DFW Mustang Forums banner

First AR-15: Buy or Build?

725 views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  cobra93teal 
#1 ·
I am thinking about getting my first AR15 in the next year or so. This would just be a toy for plinking and range use, looking to spend in the $800 to $900 range.

Being a first timer (never even shot one) would you suggest buying a completed one and taking it apart/learning from there, or buying the parts and assembling one?

Also, are there any brands you stay away from. I hear about the good ones (Bushmaster, Olympic, Larue, DPMS, Stag, RRA), any bad ones?

#29 · (Edited)
I was planning on building one, but then a friend of mine decided to get rid of one he had built and cut me a deal I couldnt pass up. Mine is a DMPS lower with a Model 1 Sales upper with their heavy varmint barrel. It is a blast at the range, first time out I put a 5 shot group at 100 yards that you can cover with a quarter.

I'm going to visit my parents next week and I'll have the chance to see what it will do at some longer ranges :cool:

Here is mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.