DFW Mustang Forums banner

Do you like God?

7K views 269 replies 29 participants last post by  Mr Majestyk 
#1 ·
Whatever your god may be? Seems that if you really got through the whole nitty gritty god thing and actually wanted to get to the know the entity, he wouldn't be the type of whatever you'd actually respect or like or want to hang out with. In fact, he sounds mostly like an insecure mean little kid. Would any of you worship the little brat at Wal Mart that desperatly needs to be cracked upside his head with an aluminum baseball bat? Why worship god just because he is god? Even if there is one, does that make him worthy of respect or worship? Just because someone has power doesn't mean you need to respect or fear them. Fear has got to be the most boring human emotion, and responsible for so much mucking about that it's hard to understand why so many people buy into it. So many people on this planet just polishing the brass on the Titanic.

#53 ·
JKD said:
Have you heard it for yourself or have you only seen it in a book?
It's hard to explain to someone who needs physical proof. Do you think I was a believer all my life? The first several times I read the Bible, I was a sceptic. I think I finally found Him around 22 or 23. I thought I did earlier, but didn't. There were even times I knew I was a believer, but still questioned it in the back of my mind. I left not only the church, but the faith for about 5 or 6 years and then I was overwhelmed with confidence in Him almost overnight, not even looking for Him. There is now not a single doubt in my mind as to who I need to look to for forgiveness, thanks and praise. I wish I could break it down into some sort of physical evidence, that would make this job so much easier for all of us, trust me. But this is all I have for you. :(

#54 ·
Denny said:
It's hard to explain to someone who needs physical proof. Do you think I was a believer all my life? The first several times I read the Bible, I was a sceptic. I think I finally found Him around 22 or 23. I thought I did earlier, but didn't. There were even times I knew I was a believer, but still questioned it in the back of my mind. I left not only the church, but the faith for about 5 or 6 years and then I was overwhelmed with confidence in Him almost overnight, not even looking for Him. There is now not a single doubt in my mind as to who I need to look to for forgiveness, thanks and praise. I wish I could break it down into some sort of physical evidence, that would make this job so much easier for all of us, trust me. But this is all I have for you. :(
I've always thought that for man to believe that we just "appeared", or to think there is no greater power, is totally narcissistic.
Evolution has an awful lot of holes in it, and has been the subject of tons of scrutiny.
For people that don't "believe", but say the bible tells a "story", I recommend they read the gospel of John. It will take about 90 minutes, and it's a little redundant, but it's because of the message that Jesus is trying to get them all to understand.

#55 ·
Vertnut said:
I've always thought that for man to believe that we just "appeared", or to think there is no greater power, is totally narcissistic.
Evolution has an awful lot of holes in it, and has been the subject of tons of scrutiny.
For people that don't "believe", but say the bible tells a "story", I recommend they read the gospel of John. It will take about 90 minutes, and it's a little redundant, but it's because of the message that Jesus is trying to get them all to understand.
The bible isn't exactly iron clad.

#58 ·
Denny said:

Denny, I really do like you and believe you to be a sensible person. If you can, ry and remove yourself from yourself and look at that statement logically. If this were another subject somewhere else on the board you would be all over someone with an answer like that. You can't give me proof not because you lack the ability, it's because there is none. I'm all for it if you believe it and it helps you to be a better person. I personally don't need organized, brainwashing religion to tell me to be a good person.

Steve

#59 ·
JKD said:
Denny, I really do like you and believe you to be a sensible person. If you can, ry and remove yourself from yourself and look at that statement logically. If this were another subject somewhere else on the board you would be all over someone with an answer like that. You can't give me proof not because you lack the ability, it's because there is none. I'm all for it if you believe it and it helps you to be a better person. I personally don't need organized, brainwashing religion to tell me to be a good person.

Steve
the fact that you say he is religious can be considered insulting. He is talking about a relationship, not a religion. People automatically jump on the bash religion bandwagon, and it is nothing of the sort. I agree with you, while there are many secular proofs that Jesus existed, nobody can summon an angel or anything to prove to you that the bible is valid. That is the intention though, to believe in faith. Even Christ Himself said that blessed is he that believes, although he has not seen. Whether you mean it that way or not, telling Denny that you don't need a brainwashing religion is implying that he does, and is therefore condescending.

#60 ·
Denny said:
Actually, God is exactly the type of person I would want Him to be. Unconditional love, undeserved salvation, tends to my daily needs, loved me before I loved Him, gives me free will, allows me to have a piece of mind- knowing what my future holds, judges fairly, comforts, forgives... what more could I ask for?

People like Muslims fear God. They make it so that they're not worthy to even be in His presence. With Christians, it's more of a father-to-child relationship. God and I have a personal relationship that matches no other. That is the way it should be. No one shares the same beliefs I have and that is perfectly alright. If it was all the same, it wouldn't mean as much.
The christian god has been revised though. The old testament god is a douche. That's what I don't get. If god is infallible why did he all of a sudden change his mind?

#61 ·
JKD said:

Steve
As stated. It's a relationship, not a religion. You are right, though. I have been known to dissect what people say and call BS. Actually, it is a hobby of mine. This is a case where it should be throwing up flags everywhere that something about this matter is different. If God wanted to prove Himself to us, then we would have no need for faith. Faith is what our personal relationship (note, religion not used) should be based on. Our faith is what is pleasing to God. We can't offer Him anything to Him that would make any difference to Him other than our undying belief in Him and all He has to say just by His Word alone. What more could you ask of a person? Do you think that this Supreme Being would rather have something else? Anyone can witness God and believe and worship... big fucking deal. Believers give Him the extraordinary. As a person who demands proof of everything, that's saying a lot to go against your human nature.

#65 · (Edited)
Going off the top of my head, doesn't Abraham purportedly live for a few hundred years? Like.. Multiple 'generations' per Genesis. (keep in mind, this is lekh lekah for me..)
And then there's always dialogue of conversations between god and men when it's obvious nobody would have been around to document the conversation itself.
Why is evolution not a law and only a theory?
Evolution is actually both factual, and theoretical.. It's obvious that the degree in which we use it allows for it to be interpreted different ways.

Do you disagree that evolution occurs?

#66 ·
Sarai offered her Egyptian handmaid, Hagar, to Abram to bear them a child. Abram consented, and at the age of 86 Hagar bore him a son, Ishmael.
Guy has a kid at 86? :rolleyes: with his wife's MAID no less! LOL! So much for monogamy!

And then.. another at 99 years of age with a 86 year old wife? She was only 73 for Ishmaels birth, why didn't she bare him as well? She finally kicks the bucket at 127...

Abraham lives to be appx 175 years of age, and manages to have 6 more sons between the ages of 140-160....

Many scholars claim, on the basis of archaeological and philological evidence, that many stories in the Pentateuch, including the accounts about Abraham and Moses, were written under King Josiah (7th century BC) or King Hezekiah (8th century BC) in order to provide a historical framework for the monotheistic belief in Yahweh. Some scholars point out that the archives of neighboring countries with written records that survive, such as Egypt, Assyria, etc., show no trace of the stories of the Bible or its main characters before 650 BC.

#67 ·
Noah and Adam lived longer, so what?

And I don't know what scholars you're reading about, but 7th and 8th Centruy bullshit is just, well, bullshit. The Jews have been following the Pentateuch for YEARS before Christ was on earth. The Book of Job was more than likely the earliest written.

Get outta here with that hogwash. :p

#69 ·
Denny said:
Actually, God is exactly the type of person I would want Him to be. Unconditional love, undeserved salvation, tends to my daily needs, loved me before I loved Him, gives me free will, allows me to have a piece of mind- knowing what my future holds, judges fairly, comforts, forgives... what more could I ask for?

People like Muslims fear God. They make it so that they're not worthy to even be in His presence. With Christians, it's more of a father-to-child relationship. God and I have a personal relationship that matches no other. That is the way it should be. No one shares the same beliefs I have and that is perfectly alright. If it was all the same, it wouldn't mean as much.
Well said; same for me, and i ain't exactly been the perfect son. God and I still have a lot of fights (and He always turns out to be right LOL...) Still, He accepts me warts and all....

#70 ·
Vertnut said:
That's my point. Historians have been shooting at the bible for centuries, and found a lot of it to be historically correct. "Evolution" makes very little sense, and is also full of holes.
No, they haven't. In fact they find the opposite.

That is why faith is not something that should be equated with proof. By seeking proof one automatically dismisses an aspect of faith.

#73 ·
lowthreeohz said:
You've pretty much ignored every valid point and/or question I've posted throughout the thread.

Why don't you prove it, Denny, rather than relying on "faith", find ONE thing that could convince someone that there's a god. Just one.

That's my problem with Christianity, too much of "god works in mysterious ways" and "you just have to have faith".
All you can say to what the Bible says is, Nu-uh! So I guess we're square.

#74 ·
Denny said:
All you can say to what the Bible says is, Nu-uh! So I guess we're square.
LOL! Fighting water with water, eh?

You argued that the bible is historically correct. I challenged that, and you post up only that the 7/8th century is bullshit. What about the rest? Selecting only the things you want to answer.. just like your religion. Leave the rest to "faith", right? :rolleyes:

You also allude to Creationism being more logical than Evolution, but neglect to mention anything other than "having faith" as why you know so.

Why does Christianity look down it's nose at asking questions and challenging any answer which does not make sense? It's always the same "hogwash" "have faith, god works in mysterious ways" blah blah blah. Is there anything else on earth you have such strong convictions about; having never been shown any evidence of?

#75 ·
lowthreeohz said:
LOL! Fighting water with water, eh?

You argued that the bible is historically correct. I challenged that, and you post up that the 7/8th century is bullshit.

You also allude to Creationism being more logical than Evolution, but neglect to mention anything other than "having faith" as why you know so.
I did disprove the 7-8th century bullshit by saying that the Pentateuch was followed LONG before that. What do you want? Don't make me get the Delorean up to 88mph!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.