DFW Mustang Forums banner

Smartphone Users - Must have Apps for WM6

557 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Hunt4m3x 
#1 ·
Just got a Moto Q - First smartphone for me, just wondering which applications are must haves? Also where to get them, free if possible, would be nice.

Mostly looking for a GPS application that I won't have to pay for, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance :)

#6 ·
Google Maps is automatic. Great product and it's helped me out a bunch when I'm in an area I'm not familiar with and looking for an ATP or what not.
http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/index.html

Opera Mini is another good suggestion. It's better than PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer) and it does a better job of rendering web sites plus it has a built in RSS Feeder which I use.
http://www.operamini.com/

TCMP (The Core Media Player). Does everything that WMP (Windows Media Player) and than some. Took me a while to find a good copy of it, but well worth it because it plays so many different file formats.
Try this link for it.
http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/M...ayers/The-Core-Pocket-Media-Player-8609.shtml

#7 ·
JP135 said:
Does Skyfire work as advertised?
It does some things really good, and others really bad.

For just plain surfing the web it is great. It will load a "small" version of the page first, you then click on the part you want to zoom in on. It will then load just that part. It loads pages quick and they look good. It does a great job with Java and flash on websites.

On the bad side, when you start Skyfire, it has to log you into their site, and it uses their site as a proxy. So if their site is slow or down, it doesn't work well. It also can't do text input very well. It allows you to enter small text inputs, like username and passwords, but it won't let you type full emails or anything.

#8 ·
just got a HTC Touch on Verizon. First WM6 phone ive had, takes a bit of getting used to after my palm Treo 650. Here is a question, how the hell do you get emoticons to show up in sms texting? I dont see any like my treo had and if somebody sends me a smiley, it just shows up as text characters and not the actual smiley. Surely WM6 has to be compatible with emoticons, right?

#9 ·
spederman said:
just got a HTC Touch on Verizon. First WM6 phone ive had, takes a bit of getting used to after my palm Treo 650. Here is a question, how the hell do you get emoticons to show up in sms texting? I dont see any like my treo had and if somebody sends me a smiley, it just shows up as text characters and not the actual smiley. Surely WM6 has to be compatible with emoticons, right?
Nope, no emoticons. You will have to download a 3rd party SMS program for those.

#10 ·
all wrong. you need to flash your phone to 6.1 and it will unlock gps. I have the 6700, 6800 and 6900. the 6800 isn;t worth a shit atm intill they fully unlock it to do custom roms. they already cracked the 6900 and unlocked the gps for it cause verizon like to disable that shit. read over ppcgeeks.com on how to upgrade the radio and rom.

G
#13 ·
Hunt4m3x said:
all wrong. you need to flash your phone to 6.1 and it will unlock gps. I have the 6700, 6800 and 6900. the 6800 isn;t worth a shit atm intill they fully unlock it to do custom roms. they already cracked the 6900 and unlocked the gps for it cause verizon like to disable that shit. read over ppcgeeks.com on how to upgrade the radio and rom.
Um, what?
I have the Sprint PPC-6800 and have a custom ROM on it now with EvDO Rev A and GPS working flawlessly for a couple of months now.

#14 ·
Hunt4m3x said:
How does the GPS work when its unlocked on verizon? I've got the 6900 too. Does the GPS function require being connected to the internet or use airtime or data time?

#15 ·
KJ94GT said:
Um, what?
I have the Sprint PPC-6800 and have a custom ROM on it now with EvDO Rev A and GPS working flawlessly for a couple of months now.

I have verizon and half the shit wouldn't work correctly. The phone is awesome but verizon fucked it all up.

#16 ·
spederman said:
How does the GPS work when its unlocked on verizon? I've got the 6900 too. Does the GPS function require being connected to the internet or use airtime or data time?

no it doesn't. I used google maps and it found signal in like 2 minutes. they have some tools like quickgps that download maps of sats and users say it cuts down to like 30secs finding a sat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.