DFW Mustang Forums banner

sw 642 vs glock 26

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  bronco71 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing my first handgun since I turn 21 on wednesday. I really like the smith and wesson 642 airweight(available with crimson trace laser wow) and the glock 26. Im having a hard time deciding between the two. They both are very concealable. The airweight weighs under a pound but only holds 5 rounds. The glock is semi-auto and holds more. I guess what Im asking is for those that own either one what has your experience been? Are you happy with your purchase? Ideally id like to shoot both before I purchase but just looking for opinions.

#2 ·
glock makes a good quality gun that will work when you need it to. my issue with them is there is no secondary safety. some people will argue that its not needed and such but in my opinion it is a must have.

i dont know anything about the S&W

#3 ·
I have both and carry both of them from time to time. Both are good reliable guns. You only get 5 rounds of .38 special in the 642 versus the 10+ rounds of 9mm in the glock depending upon your choice of magazine. The 642 is a revolver so you don't have to worry weak mag springs or any bullet set back from rechambering a round. Both have no safeties to speak of other than your finger, but then again I feel if you can't control a "hot" weapon you shouldn't be carrying one let alone own one. My suggestion is buy both. You can't go wrong with either choice in my opinion. I would definitely forgo the crimson trace grips. Spend the money on ammo and range time teaching yourself basic marksmanship, grip, presentation, and trigger control.

#4 ·
I've got a 642, and highly reccommend it.

The only thing better about the 642 than the Glock, is loaded, the Glock is more prone to unintentional discharge than the S&W. This is purley my opinion. I know the Glock has a trigger safety, but it's easier to defeat than the 642's long, deliberate trigger pull.

#5 ·
thanks for the input guys. I really wanna buy both and may someday. But dont have the funds at the moment. I was joking about the laser sight.

So do i have the correct understanding here: both guns when loaded will go off if the trigger is pulled PERIOD. There is no other safety on either. That would be ideal if you ever had to use it in a self defense situation and is ok as long as you carry smart. On a side note im trying to be a cop as well. But adivce on that subject should be in another thread.

So basically can't go wrong with either one. I guess i will go with wichever one i find a good deal on first.

#6 ·
With the glock you have the option if you want to have a round in the chamber or not. If not, then pulling the trigger wont do anything. Some will aruge that if you are going to carry a weapon that there better be a round ready to go, but its your choice. Just thought Id point out an alternative since you are debating between these 2 weapons.

#7 ·
The S&W is "foolproof". Revolvers are the standard for reliability. You don't have any failure to feed issues, magazine issues, etc....

I carried a revolver on the streets for my first 2 years on the job, and never once was not confident that it would take care of me if called on. Now that I'm older, I would trade my S&W 4006 for a S&W 686. I've seen many officer involved shootings, and the .357 Magnum is an awesome round.

#8 ·
03trubluGT said:
The S&W is "foolproof". Revolvers are the standard for reliability. You don't have any failure to feed issues, magazine issues, etc....

I carried a revolver on the streets for my first 2 years on the job, and never once was not confident that it would take care of me if called on. Now that I'm older, I would trade my S&W 4006 for a S&W 686. I've seen many officer involved shootings, and the .357 Magnum is an awesome round.
Thanks for the input guys. Ill eventually get both. Im leaning towards the 642 first. But I decided that my assosciates isn't worth the paper it's printed on so I'm taking summer classes. If the local pd doesnt want me right now Im going to try to transfer to TAMU in the fall and get my bachelors. Woohoo for more loans. With the summer classes im taking the adult in me can't justify the purchase. Im taking 15 hrs this summer and working. How the hell did you adults do it? 8 bucks an hour wont pay for an apartment let alone school,gas insurance, and food. Oh well.

#9 ·
I made $2.15/hr in high school bagging grocery.

I went to $3.15/hr at Jack in the Box flipping burgers at 16.

Then to around $4/hour at the Wal-Mart before I went into the Marines.

I made about $12k my last year in the Marines.

I was making $10.50/hour back in 1992 as a rookie, and could have made about a quarter an hour more working for UPS driving a brown truck.

The last 3 years I've averaged $90k working doing a job I love. It was a long road, but when you're not spending most of your check on gas, it's a lot easier.

#10 ·
I don't think you can go wrong either way, go with what you can afford. If you go with the revolver get you a couple of speed loaders and practice loading with them.

#11 ·
03trubluGT said:
I made $2.15/hr in high school bagging grocery.

I went to $3.15/hr at Jack in the Box flipping burgers at 16.

Then to around $4/hour at the Wal-Mart before I went into the Marines.

I made about $12k my last year in the Marines.
Yeah, but that was in 1812!

#19 ·
lol I can't believe you are even considering something with only 5 rounds for self defense.
REDICULOUS.
baby glock all the way.
Better yet G27!

#22 ·
futant said:
lol I can't believe you are even considering something with only 5 rounds for self defense.
REDICULOUS.
baby glock all the way.
Better yet G27!
If you need more rounds than that you might want to rethink carrying, and I don't was to come across as an ass. I carry for defense, I'm using my ammo to get the fuck out of the situation and not to try and carry on a fire fight. With that said, I carry a Taurus titanium 38+p with five rounds. I also carry a Glock 27 with two + 2 magazines. I get what you're saying, but if I can't defend myself well enough to get the hell out of dodge with 5 strong rounds I feel like I'd be fucked anyway.
Just .02 :eek:

#23 ·
Samhain said:
If you need more rounds than that you might want to rethink carrying, and I don't was to come across as an ass. I carry for defense, I'm using my ammo to get the fuck out of the situation and not to try and carry on a fire fight. With that said, I carry a Taurus titanium 38+p with five rounds. I also carry a Glock 27 with two + 2 magazines. I get what you're saying, but if I can't defend myself well enough to get the hell out of dodge with 5 strong rounds I feel like I'd be fucked anyway.
Repost! :rolleyes:

#24 ·
Samhain said:
I carry 11 in the gun + 2 full-size (15 rounds each) mags, just because it's not really any extra burden.

#25 ·
The debate about carrying what comes with the gun and carrying extra magazines has been beaten to death already. To each his own I guess. I'd rather just be prepared in case SHIT really hits the fan. Just like I have a spare tire although I have four perfectly good tires mounted to my vehicle.

Had to throw that in there :D

#26 ·
evil jose said:
The debate about carrying what comes with the gun and carrying extra magazines has been beaten to death already. To each his own I guess. I'd rather just be prepared in case SHIT really hits the fan. Just like I have a spare tire although I have four perfectly good tires mounted to my vehicle.

Had to throw that in there :D

Repost :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.