DFW Mustang Forums banner

remington 700 sps

610 views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  01YZ2NV 
#1 ·
I was looking at the remington 700 sps varmint 308. Has anyone ever owned or shot one of these?

#5 ·
Chopped54 said:
sps has a heavy barrel
im not sure what barrel is on the sps but the pss is known as a polica sniper special its a remington law enforcement rifle which the sps is not. Mine has a 26 in bull barrel

#7 ·
The SPS is basically their bottom of the barrel gun as far as quality is concerned. Yes it has the same barrel and action as a higher end Remington, but MUCH less attention is paid to fit & finish. The "varmint" variant is just the SPS with a heavier barrel and slower rate of twist, for lighter bullets. It's not worth it, IMO.

#9 ·
Gimmeabeer said:
The SPS is basically their bottom of the barrel gun as far as quality is concerned. Yes it has the same barrel and action as a higher end Remington, but MUCH less attention is paid to fit & finish. The "varmint" variant is just the SPS with a heavier barrel and slower rate of twist, for lighter bullets. It's not worth it, IMO.
how bad is the "bottom of the barrel" ,, worse than a savage or just not remington's greatest, but overall better than most brands?

#11 ·
srt-4_i_swear said:
it says that just swapping out the stock they gained 30% more accuracy :eek: also said once you pay for the base model sps-v and buy the hs persion stock you will have spent the same amount of money as a pss

#15 ·
92Notch said:
simple as this.....you want to buy a v6 and make it a cobra or do you want the real deal?
Actually if I had a nickel for every 700P that has had the barrel and stock replaced I would have enough money to buy a new 700P.

The 700P is a good rifle but it is far from a caddy or a cobra. To make it a realy good rifle the action will normally need some work and the factory remmy trigger is not at all considered a great trigger. In fact most serious guys will also end up replacing the barrel.

I have owned both the regular 700P in 308 and the 700 LTR in 308 and ended up replacing the trigger on both with an aftermarket trigger. I also replaced the stock on one with a McM A5 and it made a world of difference.

So now to save a few bucks on my next project I am just buying a remmy SA receiver and going custom all the way with a different stock, better than factory barrel and of course aftermarket trigger.

IMO the 700SPS in the varmint or tactical model would not be a bad start either...

I see you mentioned Savage... You might be surprised at how accurate a Savage 10FP is out of the box with a crappy stock... add decent stock to it and it becomes a better rifle than many think it can be. Probably more accurate than most of us can shoot.

Regards

#16 ·
Stacey said:
Actually if I had a nickel for every 700P that has had the barrel and stock replaced I would have enough money to buy a new 700P.

The 700P is a good rifle but it is far from a caddy or a cobra. To make it a realy good rifle the action will normally need some work and the factory remmy trigger is not at all considered a great trigger. In fact most serious guys will also end up replacing the barrel.

I have owned both the regular 700P in 308 and the 700 LTR in 308 and ended up replacing the trigger on both with an aftermarket trigger. I also replaced the stock on one with a McM A5 and it made a world of difference.

So now to save a few bucks on my next project I am just buying a remmy SA receiver and going custom all the way with a different stock, better than factory barrel and of course aftermarket trigger.

IMO the 700SPS in the varmint or tactical model would not be a bad start either...

I see you mentioned Savage... You might be surprised at how accurate a Savage 10FP is out of the box with a crappy stock... add decent stock to it and it becomes a better rifle than many think it can be. Probably more accurate than most of us can shoot.

Regards
I'll put my savage as it came out of the box, against any Remington PSS as it came out of the box. mine is in 25-06, but a 26" button hook rifled barrel, pillar bedded, and 2 lb accu-trigger, shoots under .500 with factory ammo, I'm knocking on .300 groups with handloads...and the rifle was just a little over 500 bux out the door. :eek:

#17 ·
Wild Stallion said:
I'll put my savage as it came out of the box, against any Remington PSS as it came out of the box. mine is in 25-06, but a 26" button hook rifled barrel, pillar bedded, and 2 lb accu-trigger, shoots under .500 with factory ammo, I'm knocking on .300 groups with handloads...and the rifle was just a little over 500 bux out the door. :eek:
I had one of the 10Fp tactical models when they first came out and I was amazed at how good and accurate of a rifle it was.

Each of them has strong points. I am building up a remmy right now because there are alot more parts out there for it. However the Savage now has a good aftermarket base.

#19 ·
Stacey said:

Or you could take it down to Shilen Rifles in Ennis and have them do a trigger job for $35.

That's what I had done on both of my 700 PSS's and have had nothign but compliments.

#21 ·
Gimmeabeer said:
stuff with G.A. precision actions keeps getting cheaper, from what I've seen. Also, snipercentral.com offers a pretty neat entry level tac rifle complet with scope for $950. Not bad.
What kind of scope is that? a decent scope is going to start at $500, My Shepherd was almost $800 on my 25-06...... A thousand dollar rifle with a hundred dollar scope is gonna shoot like a hundred dollar rifle, If I had $2500 and 2 years to wait, I would put a Unertl on my deer rifle....

#22 ·
On the other side of things...

My Tasco 3-9x32, that is older than me, attached to my 200$(Okay, back in 1969) Parker Hale 7mm Mag (Mauser 98 Sporterized), hit caribou at 200 and 300 yards in -35 degree temperatures. The close one I had to chase down, the further one dropped like a rock. The rifle has a Timney single set trigger.

The rifle now has a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 scope.

The Remington 700 SPS varmint is a nice gun for 500$. Throwing a nice 500$ scope like a Nikon Monarch or Burris Select would be a great addition. Then go get a trigger. 700 actions are arguable the most accurate for the price. But they are not the strongest. Weatherby, Winchester model 70, etc. make stronger actions. Ed Brown makes some tough stuff, but they are 2-3k.

Savage is slightly more accurate out of the box, but also more cheap in quality. It also has the funky trigger.

You can go out an get a 2-3k rifle (Sisk ;)) and a 2-3k scopes Kahles, Swarovski, Scmidt & Bender, etc.) and have it setup for you as well. But the deer aren't going to get any more dead.

High dollar Sako's break stocks as well.

Ruger has a target model as well. Ruger isn't known for being highly accurate. But they are strong and reliable.

Do you want a bench rest rifle, or hunting rifle?

#23 ·
I have not understood the idea of buying a rifle and then replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, etc. By then, you have basically replaced the entire rifle. Is it not cheaper to just buy a rifle set up they way you want from the beginning?

#25 ·
GT98SVO said:
On the other side of things...

The Remington 700 SPS varmint is a nice gun for 500$. Throwing a nice 500$ scope like a Nikon Monarch or Burris Select would be a great addition. Then go get a trigger. 700 actions are arguable the most accurate for the price. But they are not the strongest. Weatherby, Winchester model 70, etc. make stronger actions. Ed Brown makes some tough stuff, but they are 2-3k.

Savage is slightly more accurate out of the box, but also more cheap in quality. It also has the funky trigger.

Do you want a bench rest rifle, or hunting rifle?
im really just looking for a good hunting :) and tinker rifle,and love the black finish with the heavy barrel.I would like to have the pss but im also buying an ar,so as long as the sps is a decent gun i like it.And for $500 it sounds real good.Like i said before when i get done when school i can start looking at quality,right now though i just have to cure the itch to buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.