DFW Mustang Forums banner

question for the anti god folks....

4K views 139 replies 23 participants last post by  Brain_Mach1 
#1 ·
do you celebrate CHRISTmas? if so, please explain why you celebrate the birth of Jesus..............

Had a discussion on this at work today, and wanted to see the consensus here.

#52 ·
DarkWolf said:
An icon is an image or depiction of that which is worshipped. ie: the pictures of Jesus with the glow around his head = icon. Statues of the crucified Jesus = icon. Statues of the virgin mary = icon. In the latter two cases, they can also qualify as idols, in that Jesus is worshipped, as is the virgin mary in some denonminations.
Who worships Mary?

#53 ·
Thinking about origins, Christianity has its roots in ancient Greek so if the ancient history of the “tree” is valid regardless of the intent of the modern individual, than the language would apply also regardless of the modern definitions or intend us the individual.

Etymology of Icon: from eikenai "to resemble"

Etymology of Idol: idein "to see"

If the tree is meant for "to see” Jesus, then it is an idol. If the tree is meant “to resemble” Jesus, it is an icon.

#55 ·
BHAM said:
Jesus christ is lord, and one day we will all see...i would hate to have this thread pulled up on the day you stand before him...seeing you have publicly denounced him. but i pray for all to come to jesus, on their own terms.

Haha! And what if judgement day is next Thursday and the dude in charge's name is Larry and he's slightly overweight but his eyes glow and he pretty much lets everyone into the party or "heaven" as long as they have lived a good life?

I'm not scared.

#58 ·
Mr Majestyk said:
Neither am I, I have read the Bible, and the dude in charge is not named Larry.

Typical adolescent post, jluv. It sounds like something a bunch of teenage boys might giggle at.

Why is it an adolescent post? It's a valid question. According to the Bible that you read, the guy in charge is not named Larry. But I'm not talking about reading books. Perhaps to you my little made up scenario sounds ridiculous? THAT'S THE POINT. Do you get it now?

#59 ·
Since when is Christmas about Jesus? I thought it was about being forced to pretend you like people you don't like and feeling obligated to spend money you don't have to buy people you don't really know things they don't want and will never use.

It could also be about lying to children and getting them to believe in mythological beings who give free presents which leads to them not appreciating the hard work it took to provide those presents. I especially love it when the kid looks up at you and asks "Why didn't Santa bring me what I wanted? I told him I wanted a PS3 and all I got was a fucking football! I hate football." Well maybe Santa had to pay the fucking mortgage and maybe he doesn't get paid time off for the holidays. Maybe Santa didn't get the raise he was counting on because his store got dinged by a secret shopper for not having a cup of coffee ready in 60 fucking seconds.

#60 ·
PWTRTXSS said:
Since when is Christmas about Jesus? I thought it was about being forced to pretend you like people you don't like and feeling obligated to spend money you don't have to buy people you don't really know things they don't want and will never use.

It could also be about lying to children and getting them to believe in mythological beings who give free presents which leads to them not appreciating the hard work it took to provide those presents. I especially love it when the kid looks up at you and asks "Why didn't Santa bring me what I wanted? I told him I wanted a PS3 and all I got was a fucking football! I hate football." Well maybe Santa had to pay the fucking mortgage and maybe he doesn't get paid time off for the holidays. Maybe Santa didn't get the raise he was counting on because his store got dinged by a secret shopper for not having a cup of coffee ready in 60 fucking seconds.
You forgot the part where you blackmail your kids all year to act good cause Santa's watching them. You know....the part where they get switches & coal if thier bad. But yeh, Christmas is a HUGE lie.

The funny part you'ld think true christians would be pissed thier holiday has been hijacked, but they love all the lies!

Scott

#61 ·
PWTRTXSS said:

LMAO! Bitter much? :D

#62 ·
jluv said:
Why is it an adolescent post? It's a valid question. According to the Bible that you read, the guy in charge is not named Larry. But I'm not talking about reading books. Perhaps to you my little made up scenario sounds ridiculous? THAT'S THE POINT. Do you get it now?
I am talking about reading The Book. Your made up scenario isn't ridiculous so much as it's simply wrong, because you lack the knowledge of that which you speak. This might be expected of a typical juvenile, i.e. adolescent. THAT'S THE POINT. Do you get it now?

#63 ·
Mr Majestyk said:
I am talking about reading The Book. Your made up scenario isn't ridiculous so much as it's simply wrong, because you lack the knowledge of that which you speak. This might be expected of a typical juvenile, i.e. adolescent. THAT'S THE POINT. Do you get it now?

Not EVEN to mention that your adolescent story has not been passed down meticulously throughout thousands of years with the utmost care..directly from the Source. Move along.

[/*Shakes feet off with BHAM]

#64 ·
Mr Majestyk said:

LOL.

It's not a lack of knowledge. You could call it lack of faith if you want. I'm sure that sounds worse to you guys than what it means to me.

The point is that my made up story is no more wrong, ridiculous, juvenile, or adolescent than your own interpretation of what's written in the Bible.

You can treat it as fact if you want. Good for you for having faith in something. But your faith doesn't make it fact. Neither one of us really know for sure what the truth is. The difference between us is that I can admit that and you'd rather put all your eggs in one basket.

#65 ·
flashstang04 said:
Not EVEN to mention that your adolescent story has not been passed down meticulously throughout thousands of years with the utmost care..directly from the Source. Move along.

[/*Shakes feet off with BHAM]

And?

It's old, it must be true!

Even if you believe in the source and you think it came straight from said source, you're admitting that it's been passed down for ages, no doubt filtered, altered, and reworded hundreds of times. So being old and retold doesn't give it any more credibility in my eyes.

You guys are silly.

#66 ·
jluv said:
And?

It's old, it must be true!

Even if you believe in the source and you think it came straight from said source, you're admitting that it's been passed down for ages, no doubt filtered, altered, and reworded hundreds of times. So being old and retold doesn't give it any more credibility in my eyes.

You guys are silly.
You are showing the lack of knowledge that you have of the entire process that was undertaken in order to copy the originals throughout time...if there was ever even one error, the entire page was scrapped and re done. The only variations are synonymous translations here and there. You should look into it. This is true with many ancient manuscripts, not just biblical.. so that argument is really moot.

#67 ·
flashstang04 said:
You are showing the lack of knowledge that you have of the entire process that was undertaken in order to copy the originals throughout time...if there was ever even one error, the entire page was scrapped and re done. The only variations are synonymous translations here and there. You should look into it. This is true with many ancient manuscripts, not just biblical.. so that argument is really moot.
If anything, your argument is moot. What does any of that have to do with anything?

I don't take the Bible literally. You do, because it tells you that you must. See, it kinda goes full circle. Since I don't take the Bible literally, I don't buy into the part that tells me I have to. See how that works?

I'm not saying the Bible is total bs. In fact, I'm open minded enough to believe that there's even a chance (long shot) that every word is true. But maybe not. Who knows for sure? Certainly not you. I'll take my chances.

#69 ·
flashstang04 said:
I am very curious as to where you found this particular verse. Please tell me so that I can study it.
What particular verse? I'm not quoting verses here.

Does the bible not tell you to have faith? Does it not say (in so many words) that a good little Christian should live by the book and understand its writings to be factual? If not, why are we even having this conversation?

#70 ·
jluv said:
What particular verse? I'm not quoting verses here.

Does the bible not tell you to have faith? Does it not say (in so many words) that a good little Christian should live by the book and understand its writings to be factual? If not, why are we even having this conversation?

YOU said that my bible tells me to take everything it says literal..now weather I do or not is a completely different issue. I am wondering where you are getting your info. Instead of telling me though, you are throwing the ball back in my court and avoiding an answer. In other words, you said something that you can not back up. If I am wrong (which I am a lot), feel free to correct me. But if you can't, it makes it look like you are just spouting off. You need to research a little and then we can discuss it.

#71 ·
Mr Majestyk said:
You're an idiot if you mistakenly think you know how and why I, along with other Christians, view the celebration of Christmas. You obviously know nothing about actual Christian views on a personal level, especially on my level, so quit trying to support your fallacious views through links. You treat Christmas however you must, but don't presume that you're learned enough speak for anyone else regarding the how and why of their treatment of the holiday.
Such an angry, angry person. And you claim to be christian. Are you by chance related to TexasDevilDog?

I'm sorry you can't come to terms with this, and would rather lash out at me, than open your own eyes to what you know to be true.

Brian_Mach1 said:
By your explination, anyone who takes their kid to Santa Claus is Catholic since Santa Claus is St Nicholas, a Catholic Bishop.

Well, that does not make sense since most people don't know the roots of Santa and have completely seperated Santa from St Nicholas.
St. Nicholas is whom the church propped up to "be" Santa. Santa's roots are actually much older, with probable links to Odin and Norse Mythology.

Which of course, is pagan. Like the christmas tree. Like wreathes. Like holly. Like mistletoe. Like giving gifts. Like elves. Do I really need to keep explaining this over and over?

Who worships Mary?
Um... catholics? "Hail Mary, full of grace"? Ring a bell?

#72 ·
DarkWolf said:
Such an angry, angry person. And you claim to be christian. Are you by chance related to TexasDevilDog?

I'm sorry you can't come to terms with this, and would rather lash out at me, than open your own eyes to what you know to be true.

St. Nicholas is whom the church propped up to "be" Santa. Santa's roots are actually much older, with probable links to Odin and Norse Mythology.

Which of course, is pagan. Like the christmas tree. Like wreathes. Like holly. Like mistletoe. Like giving gifts. Like elves. Do I really need to keep explaining this over and over?

Um... catholics? "Hail Mary, full of grace"? Ring a bell?
Sad to see you make a fool of yourself, but idiots do what idiots must do I suppose. Everything you seem to believe about me has thus far been wrong, and like a fool, you continue to add more incorrect, and off the wall, statements to continue down that path. Give it up, you're just not quite smart enough.

#73 ·
jluv said:
LOL.

It's not a lack of knowledge. You could call it lack of faith if you want. I'm sure that sounds worse to you guys than what it means to me.

The point is that my made up story is no more wrong, ridiculous, juvenile, or adolescent than your own interpretation of what's written in the Bible.

You can treat it as fact if you want. Good for you for having faith in something. But your faith doesn't make it fact. Neither one of us really know for sure what the truth is. The difference between us is that I can admit that and you'd rather put all your eggs in one basket.
I know the truth as explained through the Bible, and at least you admit that you don't know much if anything about it, or don't have faith. If you're satisfied with your place in life, good for you. I know I am satisfied with where I am in my life, and in my faith.

#74 ·
DarkWolf said:
I don't celebrate CHRISTmas, but I do celebrate Yule. I'm down with the hip lingo though, I can say "Merry christmas" like everyone else, but I'll keep spreading the Yuletide cheer.

Tell me, do you decorate a christmas tree?
Though we don't agree...touché. :p

#75 ·
Mr Majestyk said:
Sad to see you make a fool of yourself, but idiots do what idiots must do I suppose. Everything you seem to believe about me has thus far been wrong, and like a fool, you continue to add more incorrect, and off the wall, statements to continue down that path. Give it up, you're just not quite smart enough.

What has he posted that is factually incorrect?

#76 ·
flashstang04 said:
YOU said that my bible tells me to take everything it says literal..now weather I do or not is a completely different issue. I am wondering where you are getting your info. Instead of telling me though, you are throwing the ball back in my court and avoiding an answer. In other words, you said something that you can not back up. If I am wrong (which I am a lot), feel free to correct me. But if you can't, it makes it look like you are just spouting off. You need to research a little and then we can discuss it.

I already told you that I wasn't quoting any specific verse. I wasn't then, and I'm not going to. Nice try to get me to read more of the Bible. I'll pass though. You can stay on that tangent of yours all day, but I know enough about the Bible to know that it instructs people to trust in it and follow it and that the stories written inside are meant to be taken as truth. As I've said before, I personally compare it to a bigger, less smoothly written Aesop's Fables. There are some good messages, but I've chosen not to take it so literally. So that's why when homedude said "...i would hate to have this thread pulled up on the day you stand before him...seeing you have publicly denounced him..." it made me giggle a little. He's worried about me having to stand in front of Jesus and face the consequences of "denouncing" him when he sees this thread. Ha! That does bring up an interesting question though. Will Jesus have a solid gold laptop? I bet he uses a Mac. What do you think?

Do I really think deep down that a dude named Larry with glowing eyes is gonna let us into a big party in the sky? No. Do I think that a long-haired dude named Jesus is going to come down and judge us and let certain peeps into heaven? No. Is either possible? Sure. Is anything possible? Ya, probably. Why not? Maybe nothing happens. I'm down for whatever.

Oh, and Jesus, if you read this - What's up dude? Cool sandals!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.