DFW Mustang Forums banner

Ruger ?'s....

812 views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  gspfunk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ruger ?'s.... **Should change to Handgun ?'s**

I'm going to be getting a handgun for Christmas, or $$ towards one. It's main purpose will be for recreational shooting at a range or on family land (cheaper ammo), but I also don't have a gun for home defense. I know 9mm isn't what most people choose for home defense, but that's not the main reason I'm getting it.

I'm really leaning towards the Ruger P95 or P89 for a couple of reasons: I can get the P89 new for $380 or the P95 for $290-310, depending on how it's equipped. I've done a lot of interweb research and the P95 seems like a reliable/dependable gun. I would kinda prefer a Glock, but I haven't seen them anywhere new for under $470ish.

Anyone have any opinions on either of those guns? I don't know as much about the P89 and I really like how the P95 looks.

Any other comments/suggestions? ...keep in mind I want to put rounds thru it on a regular basis.

#27 ·
gspfunk said:
Cool! I looked at them earlier and liked the PX4F...I don't want to deal w/ a DAO every shot!!
Only on the first shot for mine...single after that and it's a LIGHT pull too! Takes a little getting used to but once you do, the thing is damn accurate.

Honestly, only reason I am thinking of selling it is that I want to get a Saiga 12ga AK based shotgun.

#28 ·
That's cool. It's on the higher side of what I want to spend, but I think it would be worth it for a quality gun that I shoot well with. I'll let you know something more after tomorrow/this weekend.

I think the main 4 guns I'm looking at renting tomorrow are: CZ 100, CZ P-01, Ruger P95, and the Beretta PX4 Storm. I may shoot another one or 2, but I'm hoping to at least get some rounds thru those.

I'm pumped, I haven't shot a pistol in a while!! My fiance's going w/ me, too, so I'm hoping her taste is similar to mine.....

#29 ·
Some people really dislike the Rugers, every one I have ever owned or fired was flawless.

#30 · (Edited)
Shot a few today....

I rented a PX4 storm type G, Ruger P95, and a CZ P-01 at the Bullet Trap this afternoon. My fiance went w/ me b/c I wanted to make sure she was comfortable w/ them and would want to go shoot w/ me whenever I choose one.

I shot the Ruger P95 first since it seemed to be the front runner so far. I liked everything about it and shot fairly well w/ it (keep in mind I haven't shot a handgun in 9 or 10 years). The grip was a little larger than the others, but still fit my hand well. My fiance had to use her other hand to hit the slide release, so she didn't like it that well.

The CZ P-01 felt the best in my hand, but didn't really stand out other than that. The sights were off and it shot down and to the right like a mofo. It handled about the same as far as shooting went.

The PX4 Storm was the winner today. We both love how it felt and shot, and my fiance picked it as her favorite. I like that the back of the grip and the clip release are interchangable for different sized pieces for different size hands/fingers. Now I just gotta do a little looking and talk to Aggie97;) .

When I mentioned I wanted a gun to go shoot regularly, the guy at the Bullet Trap suggested the Springfield XD9. I haven't heard much about it, but neither of us were diggin it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.