DFW Mustang Forums banner

Mike Sherman in as A&M Coach

899 views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  Pro Trash 
#1 ·
Tell me what you think Aggie Fans. Is this the guy you were thinking about?

#2 ·
Not so much. I seriously don't know anything about this guy other than he was a lineman coach at A&M a long time ago and Packers Head Coach when they sucked.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm ok with this hire. I would have been satisfied with any of the top candidates I had heard about (Petersen, Tubberville, Spurrier). One article I read mentioned Sumlin maybe as O-cordinator. Not sure why he'd leave OU to do the same job for us but i'd be excited to see him with the Ags. EDIT: I wasn't aware Sumlin was just the co-cord at OU. That would make since why he might like to come back to A&M.

Can't argue with a guy that has NFL head coaching experience and A&M ties. We'll see how it all works out. We gotta ditch the option and the 4-2-5. He should have some offensive talent returning to work with (McGee, Lane, Goodson, Jerrod Johnson). We do lose a couple of O-lineman but I like that Sherman use to be an O-line coach so maybe he can help the younger lineman.

Tbone, for what it's worth the Packers won 3 division titles in 5 years under him and their offense was pretty high scoring during those years.

Can't be any worse than Fran, right? :)

Gig 'em.

Marcus

#6 ·
It is a great hire. Sherman was the President, GM, and head coach with the Packers. That alone will be a huge boost in recruiting. His offenses were some of the most high scoring in Packers history. He will implement a pro style offense that will allow us to bring in some big recruits with NFL dreams. Also heard talks of a possible return of Bob Davie as the D coordinator. I love Bob Davie and think he got a raw deal at Notre Dame. Things are looking great with Fran out of the picture.....WHOOP!

#8 ·
Shorty said:
I was never big on him when he was coaching the Packers. He would just stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed and a confused look the entire game.

I think you need to read up a little on Mike Sherman, he was a good coach while at GB he posted 5 consecutive winning seasons, 57-39 record with a .663 win percentage.He led the pack to 3 NFC North titles, he made the playoffs for 4 straight years.

Now if you compare him to Pete Carrol who was 6-10 at the Jets and in his three years at the Pats he made the playoffs twice losing the wild card the second time and missing the playoffs completely his third season. He was 33-31 as an NFL coach so if Mike Sherman transitions as well to NCAA ball as Pete Carrol has, A&M could really be in the spotlight in the near future.

#10 ·
revoautowerks said:
Also heard talks of a possible return of Bob Davie as the D coordinator. I love Bob Davie and think he got a raw deal at Notre Dame.
That would be sweet . . . he might be able to bring back the Wreckin' Crew. But my gut thinks he wouldn't come back. Hopefully Muffburger has beatin' him down to the point he wants out of TV.

#11 ·
Pro Trash said:
I think you need to read up a little on Mike Sherman, he was a good coach while at GB he posted 5 consecutive winning seasons, 57-39 record with a .663 win percentage.He led the pack to 3 NFC North titles, he made the playoffs for 4 straight years.

Now if you compare him to Pete Carrol who was 6-10 at the Jets and in his three years at the Pats he made the playoffs twice losing the wild card the second time and missing the playoffs completely his third season. He was 33-31 as an NFL coach so if Mike Sherman transitions as well to NCAA ball as Pete Carrol has, A&M could really be in the spotlight in the near future.
Would recruits rather go to A&M or USC...hmm...tap the breaks on the Pete Carrol comparisons there.

#12 ·
Who Needs 8 said:
Not so much. I seriously don't know anything about this guy other than he was a lineman coach at A&M a long time ago and Packers Head Coach when they sucked.
You obviously dont keep up with much football. Im not a big fan of Sherman, due to his "layed back" demeanor. He also is not the best at scouting, whether its commits or the nfl draft. He is an offensive based coach and I assume the aggies will welcome that. Good luck.

#13 ·
Thurston said:
You obviously dont keep up with much football. Im not a big fan of Sherman, due to his "layed back" demeanor. He also is not the best at scouting, whether its commits or the nfl draft. He is an offensive based coach and I assume the aggies will welcome that. Good luck.
I'm leaning this direction myself. Coaching pro athlete's is way different than recruiting kids. He's going to have to find his own talent...there ain't no draft.

#16 ·
Thurston said:
No, obviously I could care less about the Packers :D Which obviously you do, but that doesn't equate to all of football.

And no, Aggies would welcome the return of a defensive minded coach to bring back the Wreckin' Crew . . . I hope he doesn't keep Darnell, that hiring was a "Jump the Shark" moment for Fran.

#17 ·
4.6 Love said:
Isn't there a 3rd manning brother that tried to play pro?
Not certain, but no he never tried to play pro. He's the oldest, and something happened to him to keep him from playing football.

#18 ·
Pro Trash said:
IMO: Pete Carrol was an accident. It's more realistic to compare this to Bill Callahan, Charlie Weis, Chan Gailey, and Dave Wannstedt.

Struggling.

#20 ·
4.6 Love said:
Isn't there a 3rd manning brother that tried to play pro?
He never tried to play pro, he was a pretty good wide receiver, and said to be the most talented of the 3 sons, in highschool. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 1992. And never played football in college or beyond.

#23 ·
Pro Trash said:
Hence the statement "if Mike Sherman transitions as well ", please try to utilize your comprehension skills. ;)
Even if he transitions well USC is a tier 1 school...the Ags are not. They are 3rd in line at the Big XII at BEST...USC is one of perennial powers and will always have a better shop at top recruits over A&M.

#25 ·
NaSSty Nate said:
Even if he transitions well USC is a tier 1 school...the Ags are not. They are 3rd in line at the Big XII at BEST...USC is one of perennial powers and will always have a better shop at top recruits over A&M.
Well as long as we are better than the Fran era I'll be happy. Also Nate are you bitter over last weekends OSU vs. A&M b-ball game? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.