DFW Mustang Forums banner

DLPs.... noisy?

709 views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike69 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Mitsubishi DLP television. From day one, I noticed a very audible buzzing noise. It appeared to be coming from the left rear of the TV. I could hear it from across the room anytime there wasn't sound playing loud enough to cover it up. I dealt with it for about two weeks and then the TV started getting green squares all over it, so I took it back to best Buy and swapped it out. So I got the new one hooked up and it makes a similar noise. This is more of a humming or "honing" sound, but it's coming from the same part of the TV and may even be louder than the first one. Is this normal? I assume it's a fan or some other spinning piece. Do they all do this? Are Mitsus known for this? Maybe I got two bad TVs in a row? I love the TV otherwise, but the noise bugs the crap out of me and I don't want to just put up with it if it's not normal.

#6 ·
I'm sorry to hear that Jarod. I don't know what would be causing that humming other than what you already have thought of. I'm going to ask the Mitsu rep next time he comes in.

#7 ·
Grant said:
Which model is it? 733 or 734?
65733. I hate to keep burning TVs for Best Buy if it's just going to happen on every one. By that I mean I know they will sell it at a discount for being "open box" or "used", and it's pointless if it's just something normal I should shut up and deal with. But my other Mitsu 65" projection ('03 model) doesn't make any audible noise at all. I can literally hear this one from 25' away. Same as the first one.

#9 ·
KOZMO said:
I'm sorry to hear that Jarod. I don't know what would be causing that humming other than what you already have thought of. I'm going to ask the Mitsu rep next time he comes in.
What's worse... I called last week before I brought it back. A very nice young lady over the phone (forgot her name) told me that my 30 days would start over on the new one, as far as defects and getting it swapped out. I specifically am worried about the fact that the first one got small green boxes on the display that started popping up and multiplying until I powered the TV off and back on. It didn't start doing that until I'd had it over two weeks. So what if the same thing happens on this one? The chick told me I'd have a new 30 days. Then when I was up there a dude told me the opposite. I spoke with a manager and he said I only had 7 more days to bring this one back if it starts messing up. Then I have to deal with Mitsubishi directly. Really, all he seemed to care about was selling me an extended warranty.

I am seriously considering bringing this back, getting my money back, and then waiting until the deals come out after Thanksgiving.

#13 ·
Grant said:
I thought I told you in the PM to stay away from the 733's?
Was it that model? I didn't remember. The picture is amazing. I wanted a 65" 1080p and I got a pretty good deal on this one. My only complaint right now is the buzzing. If the green box thing comes back though I may be ruined on Mistus for good.

#16 ·
The 734 has several refinements and shouldn't be that much if any more. I took 2 733's back.

With that being said, I have a 120hz Sony right now. Although, the 833 with 120hz is a pretty nice Mitsu. Fry's is generally (99%) of the time cheaper on mitsu's than Best Buy is. Take back the 733.

#17 ·
Grant said:
The 734 has several refinements and shouldn't be that much if any more. I took 2 733's back.

With that being said, I have a 120hz Sony right now. Although, the 833 with 120hz is a pretty nice Mitsu. Fry's is generally (99%) of the time cheaper on mitsu's than Best Buy is. Take back the 733.

At the time, Fry's was highest and CC was cheapest, BB matched CC and had 0% interest. I probably will take this one back. The only thing I really want to change though is the damn buzzing.

#18 ·
Well, it's probably because it's the 733. I'm pretty sure they're discontinued. I believe BB & Fry's and et al will have those tv's for like $11/1299 for the Black Friday. I know when I had it, I got it new for $1700 even and that's been about 4-5 months.

#19 ·
Grant said:
Well, it's probably because it's the 733. I'm pretty sure they're discontinued. I believe BB & Fry's and et al will have those tv's for like $11/1299 for the Black Friday. I know when I had it, I got it new for $1700 even and that's been about 4-5 months.

Either way, I am taking it back tonight. Even if I buy the same TV next week, at least my 30 days will start over.

I really want the 73". I wonder if they will have any deals on them after Thanksgiving.

#21 ·
Grant said:
Just spend the extra little change and get the 734. I'll keep an eye out and PM you if I see something good. PM me what you paid out the door.

It was $1899 + tax. It was Circuit City's advertised price and Best Buy matched it, down from $2199. I'm not really looking to spend cash this time of year with the holidays coming up, but if I can get 0% interest I'll be able to pay it off in 6 months or less anyway. So since I'm already approved at BB, I will probably buy one there. Is there such thing as a 73734? I'm really wanting a bigger one.

#22 ·
That's expensive for that TV, seriously overpriced. Yes, there is a 73734, it's around $26-2900, I doubt that BB carries it though. As far as the 73" goes though, value vs. price really doesn't add up for the difference of a 65" vs 73".

I repeat, don't buy that TV for that much. That's extremely overpriced. I know for a fact Fry's has had that TV for around $1499/1599 on sale in the recent history.

I even believe BB will have that TV on special for Black Friday @ 1499.

Edit - here's the link: http://bfads.net/Mitsubishi-65-1080p-DLP-Projection-HDTV-at-Best-Buy

#23 ·
Grant said:
That's expensive for that TV, seriously overpriced. Yes, there is a 73734, it's around $26-2900, I doubt that BB carries it though. As far as the 73" goes though, value vs. price really doesn't add up for the difference of a 65" vs 73".

I repeat, don't buy that TV for that much. That's extremely overpriced. I know for a fact Fry's has had that TV for around $1499/1599 on sale in the recent history.

I hear what you're saying, and you always seem to get the good deals, but this is what is out there right now, and a few weeks ago when I got mine, some of these prices were even higher....

http://shop3.outpost.com/ShopCartServlet?purchase=5255737

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17005&type=page&_requestid=96871

http://www.conns.com/wd65733.html

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/attachment.do?OID=186032

Grant said:
I even believe BB will have that TV on special for Black Friday @ 1499.

Edit - here's the link: http://bfads.net/Mitsubishi-65-1080p-DLP-Projection-HDTV-at-Best-Buy
I realize there will be huge deals after Thanksgiving. Just another reason to take this one back.

The cheapest I found the 73" at any of those stores was like $3099. Hopefully there will be some deals on that one after Thanksgiving as well. And hopefully the next one I buy won't be noisy.

#25 ·
Grant said:
Rarely ever are the prices on Frys.com the same as in store. Like 2% of the time, if that. I believe BB has the 30 day price match, if you buy it now, you should be able to take the receipt in during the sale and have them refund the difference.

I'm not going to buy it for $3000+ and cross my fingers that it will go on sale. I can wait a week.

That's weird what you say about Fry's. Last Christmas, we were looking for a TV for her parents, and Fry's was outrageously higher on everything we looked at. In fact, some of their smaller TVs were almost double what they were at CC and BB, for the exact same models. No joke. I guess I just miss all of the smoking deals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.