DFW Mustang Forums banner

ISP question....

210 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr Majestyk 
#1 ·
Out here in BFE, I've got wireless broadband through a local service for high speed access to the net... works fair, not great, but acceptable.

I've also maintained a dial-up account with ATT/Yahoo in order to keep my mardyn@sbcglobal.net addy that I've had for several years...

Today I get a notice that the dial-up account cost is going up to 15.95 per month (from 9.95). Since I don't use dial up to access the 'net, I wanna' cancel the service, but does this mean I lose the e-mail address too?

I know when I canceled with AOL a few years ago, they tried to sell me all kinds of downsized account deals to keep me as a customer, but when I refused all options, they finally just said, "well, you can keep the email address anyway and access through any ISP...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cliff notes: I'm a cheapscape and don't wanna' pay to keep my old email addy. :eek:

What are my options?

mardyn

See less See more
#2 ·
mardyn said:
Out here in BFE, I've got wireless broadband through a local service for high speed access to the net... works fair, not great, but acceptable.

I've also maintained a dial-up account with ATT/Yahoo in order to keep my mardyn@sbcglobal.net addy that I've had for several years...

Today I get a notice that the dial-up account cost is going up to 15.95 per month (from 9.95). Since I don't use dial up to access the 'net, I wanna' cancel the service, but does this mean I lose the e-mail address too?

I know when I canceled with AOL a few years ago, they tried to sell me all kinds of downsized account deals to keep me as a customer, but when I refused all options, they finally just said, "well, you can keep the email address anyway and access through any ISP...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cliff notes: I'm a cheapscape and don't wanna' pay to keep my old email addy. :eek:

What are my options?

mardyn
Some isps will allow you to pay a small fee for just 5 email addresses for people in your situation. I'd call up their cust service and ask them your options. I know earthlink used to do this from time to time. I think they charged 5 bucks a month for 5 email adresses.

#4 ·
When we cancelled SBC/Yahoo service a few years ago they semi-cancelled their e-mail service as well, however e-mail sent to that address is forwarded to any other e-mail address of your choosing without any expiration of the forwarding service. Thus, senders can continue to use the same address they've always used to send e-mail to you if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.