DFW Mustang Forums banner

Ram Quad Cab guys - enclosure ideas?

659 views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  fordracing19 
#1 ·
want to build something for 2-10's or 1-12 under the seat in my truck. Does anyone have pics of their setup? specifically amp and speaker locations.

TIA.

#2 ·
I got a free Audiobahn AW1000Q 10" sub... it looks like a beefy motherfucker. Should i use this, or perhaps this AND my MTX 10? anyone? Jluv?

2 x 200W @ 4 ohm
2 x 350W @ 2 ohm
1 x 400W @ 4 ohm bridged
S/N Ratio: 90dB
Freq. Response: 9Hz ~ 50kHz
THD @RMS Watts: 0.01%
Channel Separation: 90dB
Damping Factor: >125
Fuse: 2 x 20A

thats the specs for an amp my roommate had layin around. Is it even worth using until i can save up some more extra cashola?

#3 · (Edited)
LOL allllsooo i have a MTX 4180X

45x4 @ 4 ohm
60x4 @ 2 ohm
120 bridged x2 @ 4 ohms
200 bridged x2 @ 4 ohms (dynamic power ihf202)???

and a MTX thunder 6000 T6104

• injection-molded poly cone
  • Nitrile Butadiene Rubber surround
  • frequency response 31-150 Hz
  • power range 50-250 watts RMS
  • peak power handling 500 watts
  • sensitivity 85.5 dB
  • top-mount depth 5"
  • sealed box volume 0.75 cu. ft.
  • ported box volume 1.5 cu. ft.
should i hook up both amps, one to each speaker? should i just use the audiobahn? i have no idea....

Oh yeah, this is the headunit...
JVC KD G720

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/in-dash-cd-mp3-players/m/16977833/details/

#5 ·
Kyle, mixing amp brands or speaker brands in your sub stage is superghetto. Either do one or the other, or sell one to get a duplicate of the other.

If it were me, I would probably sell all of that junk and try to get new, better stuff. The Stealthbox from JL is always a safe bet. Maybe you could power it with your roommate's amp - what amp is it?

#7 ·
lowthreeohz said:
I don't have time to sell this junk for new junk. i just want a lil thump!

lol the amps a boss ava750, i listed the specs above.
Boss? Yikes!

Good luck dude. Personally, I would rather go without bump, or wait until the stuff sold and I could save some skrilla, than to put that crud in anything.

How much "time" would it take for you to snap some pics and post them up here, or ebay, or craigslist, or whatever? Just price it cheap and make a few bucks, add it to your already baller bankroll, and get something decent.

#8 ·
jluv said:
Kyle, mixing amp brands or speaker brands in your sub stage is superghetto. Either do one or the other, or sell one to get a duplicate of the other.

If it were me, I would probably sell all of that junk and try to get new, better stuff. The Stealthbox from JL is always a safe bet. Maybe you could power it with your roommate's amp - what amp is it?
my buddy had a very clean system that could bump... couple JL10s with a PPI amp.

#9 ·
jluv said:
Just price it cheap and make a few bucks, add it to your already baller bankroll, and get something decent.
:eek: baller bankroll has been depleted this month homie.. i just bought this truck and paid the tax in cash (like 1513.xx) plus registration, inspection, yadda yadda.

I think i'm going to copy JL's stealth box and put this audiobahn 10 in there and see how it sounds... and prolly pick up a new amp while i'm buying the wiring kit and harness for the HU.

money money money.

#11 ·
8mpg said:
my buddy had a very clean system that could bump... couple JL10s with a PPI amp.

That is exactly what I used to run for the longest time. Three JL 10w0s and a PPI A600.2 (old audio art series amp). It was nice. I'm not one to match amps to speakers. Right now I'm running JL amps and Alpine subs. PPI and JL amps and Boston speakers for my front stage.

Like bcoop said, I was referring to having two different brand subs or two different brand amps for the sub stage.

#12 ·
I just put a set of alpine type r's in my quad cab a few weeks ago and these thing kick ass. awesom sound. A 300/4 amp fits nicely under the drivers seat and is out of site and a 500/1 fits perfect under the rear seat. Shop around on ebay and be paticent and you can find some good deals. I bought a jl stealth box on ebay without the sub for 80 bux, picked up a 10w3 new for $125 on ebay that a hell of alot better than paying $500 for a new one. I have never used one of jl stealth box's before but I have heard they work really well.

#13 ·
Don't know if it is worth a shit but MTX sells a "stealth" box with two 10's that go under both sides. Crutchfield sells them for $499 and they make a powered version as well. Probably not greatest sound quality but would be hidden and get the job done.

#14 ·
aggie97 said:
Don't know if it is worth a shit but MTX sells a "stealth" box with two 10's that go under both sides. Crutchfield sells them for $499 and they make a powered version as well. Probably not greatest sound quality but would be hidden and get the job done.
MTX sounds pretty good... dont really care what ppl say... they have some problems but in their "good range" and with the right power they sound great for the money.

just dont mix and match subs on one amp... you can mix and match to achieve different sub ranges, but this requires two amps both with crossovers and eq's and alot of knowledge about car audio in general.

my best advice would be to find a sub that you really like and that you would be happy with. maybe a JL 10 w3 or something that interests you. make the box that fits the specs of the sub you eventually want. the sub you have is gonna sound like shit anyways... .75cu(the audiobahns rec size) ft and 1.2 cu ft(w3 rec size) wont make a ton of difference. if you really want this temp to sound good, put filler in the box that takes up the extra .5cu ft while your waiting to save up for the sub you want.

you have plenty of space under your seats (im pretty sure... at least alot more than my f150) so dont scamp on the sub. you prob cant fit a w7 in there w/o a seat lift but you can fit some decent mid sized drives in there.

#16 ·
i was thinking more like a 4500 or 5500 but if you have those for free, then use em! those would sound soooooo much better than ur audiobahn. just make sure you dont power them with more than 200rms or they will blow very quickly.

#17 ·
i was thinking more like a 4500 or 5500 but if you have those for free, then use em! those would sound soooooo much better than ur audiobahn. just make sure you dont power them with more than 200rms or they will blow very quickly. you shouldnt have any trouble fitting them in there either

#19 ·
i would personally use the MTX amp since "boss" is totall trash...

are the subs dual voice coil or single? (are there two wire terminals on the subs or just one) if the subs are 4 ohm then you should be ok with the power on the mtx amp. if they are dual vioce coil try and wire each sub to 2 ohms and see if the amp can take the load.

your going to want to bridge the front 2 channels together to one sub and the back to bridged to the other sub.

just make sure you find out how loud you can turn the amp up before you hear distortion and dont go past that point.

#21 ·
lowthreeohz said:
I'll prolly only either use the 10 or 12 MTX's and not worry about more until i can pay for it with cash.

I know the 10 i have is dual voice coil, the 12 doesn't appear to be.
dont misunderstand my previous comment....

2 x 12's (even single coil) > single 10 (in your case at least)

you dont have enough power to compensate for the sub difference so it wouldnt be a good idea IMO unless the 12's are in rough shape

whatever you do, goodluck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.