DFW Mustang Forums banner

This is why Vista sucks

699 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  lilvega 
#1 ·
All I have running is firefox basically and Im using over 1gb of ram. I gotta find out how to cut the useless shit running and free up some ram.

See less See more
#4 ·
The Big Matt said:
stop all the systray shit you have running. ituneshelper, ndstray, etc...
double that

i keep my tray free of EVERYTHING & ANYTHING! all i run is outlook @ work and the PLD link for the scanner (which i use alot @ work).

work computer sucks but with only the estimating software+outlook+excel+IE running it pulls about 400mb on XP. laptop pulls ~350 on vista with same configuration

#5 ·
The Big Matt said:
stop all the systray shit you have running. ituneshelper, ndstray, etc...
I just dont know what all needs to run... Im running vista on a laptop so there are extra programs that need to run...

#8 ·
8mpg said:
I just dont know what all needs to run... Im running vista on a laptop so there are extra programs that need to run...
Go here and run a scan and it will tell you what is and isn't necessary.

FWIW, for the short time I had Vista on my pc it used less memory than XP.

#9 ·
Tx ******* said:
Go here and run a scan and it will tell you what is and isn't necessary.

FWIW, for the short time I had Vista on my pc it used less memory than XP.
thanks.. I did some tweaking found at Blackviper.com and now its down to 800mb running trillian/firefox/outlook

pcpitstop only found internet explorer running

#11 ·
Da Prez said:
i never know what to end and what not to, i dont wanna end shit and then my computer doesnt run right... :(
www.blackviper.com has some good info... I just used their settings on the house computer and it brought the resources way down. Went from running 800mb on xp down to 150 :p

#12 ·
Friend of mine bought her husband a new laptop with vista; could not get wireless internet access working. I screwed with it for quite a while and finally turned off the norton that came with it. Then the internet was accessible. I know that this was a norton issue rather than a vista issue (I installed AVG, worked without a single hitch) but it was rather frustrating trying to navigate thru vista to find where to make changes (with the corresponding "yes/no" nanny dialog boxes) when in XP I knew right where to go to look at stuff. I was totally unimpressed with vista. I see no reason to inflict it on my own systems. I'd rather install ubuntu.

#14 ·
jlyon said:
im gonna check that out tonight when i get home

damn good site. got me down from 256mb being wasted, to 90 mb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.