Need To Read! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
who cares

Need To Read!

Kinda long. Sorry..
I don't know if this has been posted but if it has BITE ME And just read it again!!
Whether you like Rush Limbaugh or not, this is worth reading!

By Rush Limbaugh

I think the vast differences in compensation between the victims of the September 11th casualty, and those who die serving the country in uniform, are profound. No one is really talking about it either because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11th.

Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

If you lost a family member in the September 11th attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people that are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11th families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you?

Folks, this is part and parcel of over fifty years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad.

Every time when a pay raise comes up for the military they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low rent housing.

However our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one-time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month and most are now equal to be millionaires plus. They also do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7 you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed you in harms way receive a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this ??"

Last edited by sassystang; 04-14-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:29 AM

Ain't that the truth.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Lifer

Many a poor individual when i was in the USAF. Worse yet medical benefits, only a fool would let a military doctor touch him.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Time Served

(NTOSVO's Wife)

I really dont agree with the above statement. I do work with the soldiers of the present and none of them are lacking in any way. My boss who is an O-4 has 5 kids, a $200.000 home, a huge, new chevy truck, a brand new suburban, and a nissan sentra for his daughter. He is not hurting by any means. If you are a brand new E1, the military pays your rent, your bills except for phone and cable. All you really have is your car payment and insurance. And the medical and dental is the exact same. They have to have licenses just like civilian doctors. The ones who are hurting are the ones who just don't know when to say no. If you are an E2 and you are married and have 5 kids, andyour spouse doesn't work, yeah you are going to struggle because you didn't know how to put on a condom or make your wife take BC. It is the exact same in the civilian world. For the most part when you are new at a position you will start as the bottom man on the totum pole, but as you work your way up you have more responsibility and in turn you make more money.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 08:44 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Low military salaries and the high cost of living in parts of the United States means that families of many of the lower ranking US troops fighting in Iraq live a hand to mouth existence.

"I know several wives of Marines with small children who line up at churches for grocery handouts which are the only way they can survive the month and feed and cloth the baby," said military wife, Natalie Castro, 19.

"Military salaries are so low that they are almost impossible for a family to live on, leaving some women desperate, especially now when we also have the emotional turmoil of worrying if our men are safe in Iraq," she said.

Like many of her friends, the mother of a seven-month-old boy, relies on an American Red Cross program to supply her with crucial baby formula and on additional help from the military community.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...172477656.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Time Served

Well with the soldiers over there fighting they should also be getting hazardous duty pay and Seperation from family pay which adds up to a pretty penny. And also in the army when a soldier passes away their family receives up to 250,000 (lump sum ) with life insurance.!0,000 is the minimum. I don't know as much about the other branches as I do the Army, but it is a pretty good deal, speaking from experience.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Lifer

I don't think the point of Rush's comments were about how bad it is in the military, it is about entitlement and the fact that because someone is injured in our society, people automatically assume that you must get paid. I find it hard to take that the people in the World Trade Center attacks are getting millions of dollars, but military personel aren't getting s***. Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for the victims, just not so sure our priorities are straight.

I think the people responsible for the attacks should pay the victims of Sep 11, and the soldiers killed sould be taken care of better tan they are going to be.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Time Served

I know alot of young soldiers join for the college money or the bonus money, or some of the other benefits that we get. But when you join a branch of the Armed Services it must enter into your mind that their is a chance that you will be deployed, possibly into a warzone, and you could possibly be injured or killed. If you go and swear in without that in mind then you are going in blindfolded. Just my opinion. I am not saying that they shouldn't get anything, but when they sign up for the military they should know exactly what the hell they are getting into.

(NTOSVO's Wife)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:17 PM

When your hurt and banged up in another country you
have no choice but let the military DR's do there thing.
Been there done that.........it totally SUCKS! Money is
one thing but life and limb or another.

Why can't someone like RUSH start a campain to raise
money for these hero's? Don't just complain do something!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:35 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Let me start off by saying that I do like Rush Limbaugh.

I'm also a Vet that almost got his ass shot off.

That said, he's full of shit on this one.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/military.htm

For one, soldiers have SGLI insurance of $250K for $20 a month which is a bargain compared to the civilian world.

In almost every state, the children of a vet that dies in combat will have his college paid for (this includes Texas I believe).

A Vet's widow gets his GI Bill benefits.

Also, that remark about Congressmen and Senators not paying into Social Security is absolutely false. They have been paying into SS for quite some time now.

Lastly, something Rush failed to mention is the 27th Amendment.

It reads: No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

In other words, yea Congress gave themselves a pay raise (as well as a raise to every other federal employee) but it cannot take effect until after an election of the House of Representatives (which is next year). So if you don't like the fact that your congressman or lady voted him/her self a payraise, you get the opportunity to vote them out.

All that said, I know Rush was simply trying to make a point about the entitlement mentality of this country. I agree that its a load of BS. Unfortunately, the Congress nor the President (Republican or Democrat) doesn't have to go nads to do something about it. Believe it or not, Clinton is the only President that tried to reign in welfare in this country (with the help of a Republican Congress of course). Bush has actually increased entitlements and CORPORATE WELFARE. Both piss me off because it's fucking hard earned money out of my worn out wallet.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement