Romanian ODe to America - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Romanian ODe to America

Read this excerpt from a Romanian Newspaper. The article was written by Mr. Cornel Nistorescu and published under the title "C"ntarea Americii meaning "Ode To America," on September 24, 2002 in the Romanian newspaper Evenimentul zilei ("The Daily Event" or "News of the Day").

~An Ode to America~

Why are Americans so united? They would not resemble one another even if you painted them all one color! They speak all the languages of the world and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations and religious beliefs.

Still, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand put on the heart. Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the army, and the secret services that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank accounts. Nobody rushed out onto the streets nearby to gape about. The Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand.

After the first moments of panic, they raised their flag over the smoking ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colors of the national flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on every car a government official or the president was passing. On every occasion, they started singing their traditional song: "God Bless America!"

I watched the live broadcast and rerun after rerun for hours listening to the story of the guy who went down one hundred floors with a woman in a wheelchair without knowing who she was, or of the Californian hockey player, who gave his life fighting with the terrorists and prevented the plane from hitting a target that could have killed other hundreds or thousands of people.

How on earth were they able to respond united as one human being? Imperceptibly, with every word and musical note, the memory of some turned into a modern myth of tragic heroes. And with every phone call, millions and millions of dollars were put in a collection aimed at rewarding not a man or a family, but a spirit, which no money can buy.

What on earth can unite the Americans in such a way? Their land? Their galloping history? Their economic Power? Money? I tried for hours to find an answer, humming songs and murmuring phrases with the risk of sounding commonplace.

I thought things over, but I reached only one conclusion... Only freedom can work such miracles. May God Continue to Bless America!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:54 AM

I think that was a really cool and appropriate excerpt. If you know where the rest of it is (if there is any more to the article) I'd really enjoy to read the rest of it.
One thing I noticed about the authors tone is that, I felt, he was boasting on us saying how proud we as a nation should be. That's quite a compliment. I also think it's silly that someone can think so highly of us outside of our country, and still there are others from within the country that do nothing but badmouth the rules and criticize the judgement of its' leaders. To them, I say you don't realize how great a thing you have here, and may you someday appreciate the lives of the hundreds of thousands of people braver than you who are willing to protect what you take for granted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcountry80
I think that was a really cool and appropriate excerpt. If you know where the rest of it is (if there is any more to the article) I'd really enjoy to read the rest of it.
One thing I noticed about the authors tone is that, I felt, he was boasting on us saying how proud we as a nation should be. That's quite a compliment. I also think it's silly that someone can think so highly of us outside of our country, and still there are others from within the country that do nothing but badmouth the rules and criticize the judgement of its' leaders. To them, I say you don't realize how great a thing you have here, and may you someday appreciate the lives of the hundreds of thousands of people braver than you who are willing to protect what you take for granted.

That's all I ran across.
As to your observation, you are dead on. It's funny how you never find an escaped Iraqi or Kurd against the war, but plenty of idiots over here are agaisnt the liberation of the iraqis, because "they know best."
Sad, sad, sad.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

That was the whole thing XC80. You can read more about it here:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/romania.htm

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
That was the whole thing XC80. You can read more about it here:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/romania.htm
Good find....thought I had been "Snoped" for a second, there......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement