Did anyone hear about the reconstruction spending bill? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Did anyone hear about the reconstruction spending bill?

The US House of Representatives has approved almost $80bn (51bn) in financing for the war in Iraq and the start of reconstruction.

But in a controversial amendment, congressmen insisted that none of the money for rebuilding should go to companies from France, Germany, Russia or Syria - countries seen as implacable opponents of the US pursuit of the war.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2915715.stm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Recovering Lush

As they shouldn't be.
OF course Chirac, Saddam's long time pal who gave him his nuclear reactor, stated today that the UN should be in charge of reconstruction.
How terribly lame. F the French.
F Germany.
F Russia.
F Syria.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I think it is funny that I have to go to a UK site to read about news like this instead of hearing on the TV or radio hear.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Recovering Lush

The fact that this was going to be pushed for was mentioned on Fox a few weeks ago. I hadn't heard it was actually attached to the bill, however.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HookEm
As they shouldn't be.
OF course Chirac, Saddam's long time pal who gave him his nuclear reactor, stated today that the UN should be in charge of reconstruction.
F Germany.
F Russia.
F Syria.
Damn Straight
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
As they shouldn't be.
F Germany.
F Russia.
F Syria.
Of course, we won't forget how long the US was pals with Saddam. Hell we put the Baath party in there in the 50s and gave him the tools to create the gas to kill all those Kurds as well!

Didn't hear much about liberation back in the 80s when Saddam was gassing the shit out of his people.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Of course, we won't forget how long the US was pals with Saddam. Hell we put the Baath party in there in the 50s and gave him the tools to create the gas to kill all those Kurds as well!

Didn't hear much about liberation back in the 80s when Saddam was gassing the shit out of his people.

Relevance?
Please try to keep in tghe current year...or decade...or century...or even millemium! Ya gonna bring up slavery next?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 07:03 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Relevance?
Please try to keep in tghe current year...or decade...or century...or even millemium! Ya gonna bring up slavery next?
Relevance? You mean it is not relevant that the US put this monster in control and also funded his efforts for over a decade?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:46 AM
GO TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Relevance? You mean it is not relevant that the US put this monster in control and also funded his efforts for over a decade?
01cobra, The way I see this is that the United States will make mistakes, but we are one nation that thrives to correct those mistakes. I don't think anyone is proud of helping Saddam 20yrs ago. All we can do is put it behind us and do better in the future.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 10:55 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by lilthumper
01cobra, The way I see this is that the United States will make mistakes, but we are one nation that thrives to correct those mistakes. I don't think anyone is proud of helping Saddam 20yrs ago. All we can do is put it behind us and do better in the future.
Lilthumper, I'm hoping I am 100% wrong. But what has the US supported since WWII? It hasn't been pretty. Maybe the administration has decided it is time to change forgein policy completely.

Not too long ago, the US happily supported the Taliban (Afghanistan), Noriega (Panama), Marcos (Phillipines), Martinez (El Salvador), Amin (Uganda), Banzer (Bolivia), Hassan II (Morocco), Seko (Zaire), Pinochet (Chile) and the list goes on and on.

Maybe what we are witnessing is a complete change of heart of the American government. We'll see.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 11:08 AM
GO TROOPS!!

I understand what you are saying. I think from time to time our government helps the enemy of our enemy and it comes back to bite us. But I tend to remember all of the GOOD that our fathers and grandfathers have done for the world community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement