Win the World Series, then ban toys in Happy Meals - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

Thumbs down Win the World Series, then ban toys in Happy Meals

What in the fuck is this world coming to? People in San Fran must be pretty ignorant if they need the government to regulate stupid crap like this. I hope McDonalds fights it. Doesn't CA have bigger fish to fry?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101103...esitymcdonalds

McDonald's slams San Francisco ban on Happy Meals

A McDonald's Happy Meal complete with a Star Wars toy. Fast food giant McDonald's said Wednesday . Wed Nov 3, 4:51 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (AFP) Fast food giant McDonald's said Wednesday it was "extremely disappointed" at a ruling by San Francisco authorities banning high-calorie Happy Meals, which entice children to eat with free toys.

The response came after the Californian city's board of supervisors voted to forbid restaurants from giving gifts with meals that contain too much fat and sugar.

"We are extremely disappointed with this decision. It?s not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," said McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud.

Happy Meals, which typically come in a colorful cardboard box packed with a burger, a drink, fries and desert, are popular with hard-pressed parents as well as children, she said.

"Public opinion continues to be overwhelmingly against this misguided legislation. Parents tell us it's their right and responsibility, not the government's, to ... to choose what?s right for their children."

And she added: "We are extremely proud of our Happy Meals which give our youngest guests wholesome food and toys of the highest quality. Getting a toy with a kid's meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's."

Under the ban agreed in a preliminary vote Tuesday, restaurants in San Francisco would have to provide fruit and vegetables with meals accompanied by free toys, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"This is a tremendous victory for our children's health," said the state education board's Eric Mar, chief sponsor of the legislation.

The measure will go to a full vote next week and if approved would not come into force before December 2011.

Scott Rodrick, who owns 10 McDonald's franchises in the city, was quoted by the paper as saying: "Somehow the San Francisco Board of Supervisors just took the happy out of Happy Meals."

"It would be an understatement to say how disappointed I am with this legislation," he added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

The original article on yahoo said that toys cannot be given out with meals unless they are under 600 calories, contain a serving of fruit and veggies, and cannot be served with a beverage with "excess" sugar. Whatever excess sugar means, it could be argued that includes OJ or apple juice.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

And I just read this quote yesterday, and like it: "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Meeeeooowww

You can have weed, but not a toy..lol

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
What in the fuck is this world coming to? People in San Fran must be pretty ignorant if they need the government to regulate stupid crap like this. I hope McDonalds fights it. Doesn't CA have bigger fish to fry?
Actually, no, but they have plenty of fish to bake and grill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN View Post
Make that: You can have weed, but not a meal over 600 calories or a hand gun...

The home of Barbara Boxer... Go figure....

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
Make that: You can have weed, but not a meal over 600 calories or a hand gun...

The home of Barbara Boxer... Go figure....
You can own a handgun in CA.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Resident Epicurean

You will start seeing things like this all over the place. NY and CA banned trans fats, more states to follow. TX banned fryers in schools, several areas have bans on sodas in schools, etc.

I'm divided on this issue. It directly affects my line of work both positively, and negatively.

I'm also split on a personal level. The great thing about America is the freedom to do what you please, eat what you want, etc. But at the same time, something has got to be done about the morbid obesity in this country. And I firmly believe the FDA and USDA need tighter regulations on what is allowed by food manufacturers and processors.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Worship me

Yes, something needs to be done about obesity, fat asses need to exercise. They don't need to tell McDonald's what they can or can't sell. Fucking lard asses always have someone/something to blame for shoving things in that hole under their nose.

But this is all standard operating procedure for the left. It isn't the fault of the fat slob of a parent that takes the kid to McDonald's all the time and orders pure shit off of the menu, it is the fault of McDonald's.

I take my kid to McDonald's all the damn time for breakfast. He likes the playground. We share an Egg Mcmuffin with no cheese and one of those yogurt parfait things.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

This is called communism children.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Yes, something needs to be done about obesity, fat asses need to exercise. They don't need to tell McDonald's what they can or can't sell. Fucking lard asses always have someone/something to blame for shoving things in that hole under their nose.

But this is all standard operating procedure for the left. It isn't the fault of the fat slob of a parent that takes the kid to McDonald's all the time and orders pure shit off of the menu, it is the fault of McDonald's.

I take my kid to McDonald's all the damn time for breakfast. He likes the playground. We share an Egg Mcmuffin with no cheese and one of those yogurt parfait things.

You and I know the fat asses aren't going to get off the couch to do anything. So what do you do about it? Legislate mandatory exercise? That takes away freedom and opens Pandora's box. Legislate outrageous healthcare premiums for the obese? Thats asking for a discrimination suit. Incentivize healthcare for those that exercise? Another discrimination suit.

I mean, there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do without stripping freedom and rights.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Bullet Sponge

McDonalds should pull out of California completely and tell everyone why. Just shut down and leave California completely until they come around
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
You and I know the fat asses aren't going to get off the couch to do anything. So what do you do about it? Legislate mandatory exercise? That takes away freedom and opens Pandora's box. Legislate outrageous healthcare premiums for the obese? Thats asking for a discrimination suit. Incentivize healthcare for those that exercise? Another discrimination suit.

I mean, there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do without stripping freedom and rights.
You are correct, I don't want to pay for their healthcare either.

Freedom includes the ability to kill yourself with fast food if you choose to do so.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
McDonalds should pull out of California completely and tell everyone why. Just shut down and leave California completely until they come around
It won't be long until that place is totally fucked.

The state managed to pass Proposition 25 yesterday in the election. In the past the legislature needed a two thirds vote to pass a budget. With prop 25 they just need a majority to pass a buget. Basically this means the state employee unions are going to be able to rape the state since the conservatives won't be able to stop the liberals anymore. I say the sooner it happens, the better.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Indeed. Curious how many of the 30,000+ locations are in Cali as well as the 1.5M employees? Love to see the states reaction when 125,000 fresh unemployed, unskilled laborers hit the 'gimmie' lines.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Bond Company Stooge

How in the hell is this legal? Or even logical? It also teaches young ones to let our government make our personal decisions. This is so eff'ed up in so many ways.

I agree that fat asses are a problem, but only to themselves. Fat kids are the parents problem. I still point and laugh at fat people, and always will. Somehow they need to get the message that they are the problem, not the company that caters to their fat, whinney, lazy, no impulse control, irrisponsible asses!
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Lifer

I'm okay with banning fryers in schools. I'd love to see some business ethics in play. Some food companies that care about the ingredients that they put in food. HFCS, hydrogenated oils, etc. are all big problems that should not be in our foods to begin with.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM
IA2

So what? Sell the kid a "veggie meal" containing the required stuff for the price of a happy meal + .50, and include a complementary burger and fries to go along with it, plus the toy. Expect the veggie meal to go in the trash. Problem solved, and they stay within the letter of the law.

It could be called the "crappy meal"
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
This is called communism children.
Big brother knows best.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 AM
makin' bacon

Wow, from the sounds of it, some ignorant fucks in this thread probably believe spoons make people fat.

Congrats on agreeing with people taking away another one of your freedoms by deciding what your children can eat instead of you....

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I'm okay with banning fryers in schools. I'd love to see some business ethics in play. Some food companies that care about the ingredients that they put in food. HFCS, hydrogenated oils, etc. are all big problems that should not be in our foods to begin with.
There is a loophole with the fryers. They aren't banned completely. But you have to remove them if you want state funding. HPISD still has them, as does Frisco, and other districts that actually make money off their food programs.

Fryers and fried foods aren't necessarily bad. There is a ton of bad information out there, and the stigma is that fried = bad, when its not always true.

The flip side of this, that nobody seems to think of, is that this ban on fried foods causes food manufacturers to start genetically altering foods to give the appearance that they are still fried. Engineered foods ARE bad, and in a few years, research will show that these foods are actually worse than the fried product they were serving to begin with. Mark my words. It WILL happen, just a matter of time.

This is the epitome of a knee-jerk reaction. I agree, I don't want HFCS, and all the other junk in schools. But taking it away strips freedoms. This is why I struggle with it. I want smaller govt, I want the FDA dismantled and replaced with a responsible organization that is NOT on the take.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Resident Epicurean

And just to play Devil's advocate, how is this any different than the gov placing restrictions on cigarette companies? I bet none of you had a problem with them banning Joe Camel. But now you have a problem with them banning the toys McDonald's uses to entice people to peddle their shit food? Hypocrisy is a bitch.

Oh, wait. I get it. Cigarettes kill you. Oh.... Wait... Consumption of shitty food kills you as well. Damn, I took the wind right out of your sails.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
You can own a handgun in CA.
I was speaking of San Francisco proper...

But turns out you are right:

California court strikes San Francisco handgun ban

Looks like I'm stuck in 2007.....

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsnake93 View Post
How in the hell is this legal? Or even logical? It also teaches young ones to let our government make our personal decisions. This is so eff'ed up in so many w

I agree that fat asses are a problem, but only to themselves. Fat kids are the parents problem. I still point and laugh at fat people, and always will. Somehow they need to get the message that they are the problem, not the company that caters to their fat, whinney, lazy, no impulse control, irrisponsible asses!
I agree with everything you said, except for fatasses only being a problem for themselves. YOU currently pay increased healthcare premiums because of them. So do I, and every other person that has healthcare insurance.

I also agree that it sends a bad message, but again, something needs to be done. And let's face it. This has long been a fat, lazy, whiney, entitled society. So much so, that IMO it's too late to fix it. I'm not so sure legislation like this is the answer, but to be honest, I don't have the right answer. There just doesn't seem to be a good answer to this problem. Anything you do could be argued as unconstitutional or a violation of rights. And it will all create bigger govt, etc, which I'm vehemently against. I really think the only solution is tighter regulation on food manufacturers and processors. It's the only one that makes even the slightest bit of sense.

I really think the only
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Resident Epicurean

Stupid phone posting FTL..

I really think the only solution is tighter regulations on food manufacturers and processors. It's the only thing that remotely makes sense. I don't agree that McDonald's should be punished for something you have let them do for decades, but placing regs on food mfrs and processors is essentially doing the same thing. I also have ZERO faith in the FDA to uphold them, and we all know the FDA can be bought for a price.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I, as you can see, have lots of conflict on both sides of this. But I'm also probably more educated and experienced on this thN others, due to my relation to the food industry.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
And she added: "We are extremely proud of our Happy Meals which give our youngest guests wholesome food and toys of the highest quality.
Who is this bitch kidding? Wholesome food? Is she high as a kite on fat? And last time I remember looking at a toy from them it was a piece of junk that was probably painted by a chinese 12 fingered prek child.

Yes, our country is full of fat asses.
Yes, this is probably unconstitutional in some way.
Yes, Mcdonalds tries to show they care about what they offer, but lets get real, they will never have a completely healthy menu.

The bottom line is the government doesn't need to step in and start making these fast food chains change their menu. They need to start taxing fat kids parents for every pound they are overweight.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Lifer

Weed is doled out in prescription form for the most trivial and benign medical reasons, but a toy reward in a Happy Meal is sending a bad message...lol

San Fransisco is not just liberal, they are insane. They can go fuck themselves after they opposed the Blue Angels from doing a show because they feel it is a pro military statement. Those people fell off the deep end a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
You and I know the fat asses aren't going to get off the couch to do anything. So what do you do about it? Legislate mandatory exercise? That takes away freedom and opens Pandora's box.
Giving benefits or bonuses to people that exercise helps. My company has a fitness program. Just yesterday they gave out net checks of $250 for people that had a measured body fat <18% this quarter. I won the weight loss challenge last year and won $5,000 net. I lost 17.5% of my weight in a year. If more companies started doing that it would help out.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Time Served

Lol fuck Cali and their higher than thow bullshit. Them bitches bout to file for bankruptcy again. Let that bitch break off and float away for all I care. Bunch of faggots and retards there anyway. Half my crew transferred from Cali to here and I can't stand not one of them lazy fuckers.

2004 DSG SVT Lightning - Magi Catback
1993 Fox GT 3.55s and flows need some work
As much fun as a good sneeze in the middle of a good piss.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

I think it's horseshit. What's next, limiting restaurants from serving any single person more than 2,000 calories at a time?

If people want to be fat asses, that's their choice. I think there needs to be a penatly for HI coverage for those that are overweight, and a bigger penatly for those who are obeise. Much like penalties for smokers. And this should be based on BF%, none of this BMI crap. And incentives for losing weight is always a good thing too.

But to tell busniesses what they can and cannot give out for free, fuck that.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Worship me

Quote:
And just to play Devil's advocate, how is this any different than the gov placing restrictions on cigarette companies? I bet none of you had a problem with them banning Joe Camel. But now you have a problem with them banning the toys McDonald's uses to entice people to peddle their shit food? Hypocrisy is a bitch.

Oh, wait. I get it. Cigarettes kill you. Oh.... Wait... Consumption of shitty food kills you as well. Damn, I took the wind right out of your sails.
I always had a problem with them suing cigarette companies. I also have a problem with them taxing the shit out of tobacco. I have a problem with them banning foods.

I do think they should be able to ban smoking in restaurants though.

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM

That's right cali ! You ban that toy that was making all the kids fat!! (or was it the cheeseburgers and french fries)

Typical thinking out there - they aren't even addressing the real issue (fat kids / shitty food / poor parenting) with this, and it will be completely ineffective, because they will just sell the toy seperately for a penny...

Last edited by 49522; 11-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

I ate that shit when I was a kid, and I am 6'2 160 pounds.

Call me crazy, but maybe the problem lies with *gasp* the parents! But how dare I place the blame on a parent when there are plenty of other people and institutions to blame first. God forbid anyone anywhere accept any responsibility anymore.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
reppin tha westside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
But how dare I place the blame on a parent when there are plenty of other people and institutions to blame first. God forbid anyone anywhere accept any responsibility anymore.

Ladies & Gentleman, we have a winner....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Call me crazy, but maybe the problem lies with *gasp* the parents! But how dare I place the blame on a parent when there are plenty of other people and institutions to blame first. God forbid anyone anywhere accept any responsibility anymore.
People aren't smart enough to think for themselves and be responsible. Pelosi and Reid know best. Big brother is only trying to protect you.

Face it all our tax money is being wasted making people stupid. If our educational system was halfway decent very few if any of these morons would be in office.

I should start making I transitive heart pictograph big brother tees.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
IA2

Quote:

Young kids are growing, and they need a certain amount of fat in their diet that is maybe above and beyond what certain people would have them eat - they need that diet to grow. Feeding them brussel sprouts and tofu is really not healthy.

I have a 17 year old daughter thats eaten her share of mcdonalds and she's still under 100 lbs.

PARENTS should make the choice about what their children eat, not some nanny state.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Time Served

still don't think you should get free medical care if you smoke. food is a little bit different, we all must eat to live. we don't have to smoke to live. not to mention... i doubt any of you hear make even the slightest attempt at eating healthy but... have you tried that shit recently? its actually more difficult to pull off, and it ain't cheap.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN View Post
i don't think they have weed yet, but i'm sure its coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement