At least one Tea Partier denied the right to vote in Texas - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Exclamation At least one Tea Partier denied the right to vote in Texas

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2610844/posts

Quote:
A Texas woman was denied the right to vote on Monday because she was wearing a button bearing a Gadsden flag — the rattlesnake under the words “Don’t Tread on Me” that has become the unofficial image of the Tea Party.

Katrina Pierson, who sits on the steering committee of the Dallas Tea Party and is also involved with the Garland Tea Party, told The Daily Caller that “around 11 o’clock yesterday,” a Garland Tea Party member, reported that she was told by an election official that she could not vote unless she removed her button. A second election official, Pierson said, did not recognize the button and did not understand why the other official was not permitting the woman to vote.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 PM
not exclude

Your title is a little misleading, but that's the law...isn't it? Electioneering?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Your title is a little misleading, but that's the law...isn't it? Electioneering?
^^This

Stop with the pro teabagger propaganda bullshit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Not 100% accurate. I'll see if I can dig up the state statute(s) pertaining to what is going on.

The history of the flag is crucial to this debate as well.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

lmao @ the tag

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
I don't understand how it's electioneering. She has the right to express her political views, she wasn't asking or coercing anyone else to her pov.

Heck, I wore my shirt when I went to vote for Medina and nothing was said.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
T-MINUS

http://dallasteaparty.org/3842/

Quote:
As most of you know, the yellow Gadsden 'Don't Tread on Me' rattlesnake flag is a popular symbol of American liberty. This early flag of our nation embodies a classic American symbol, dating back to at least 1751, expressing American defiance to government intrusion and meddling. Although it was later supplanted by the 'Stars and Stripes' after the Revolutionary War, Americans have always had an affinity for the earlier flag and its defiant message.

As you may be aware, Texans wearing or displaying likenesses of this early American flag are being turned away from the polls in early voting if they refuse to submit and remove the flag from their person. As set forth below, the legal rationale for this practice is not particularly clear.

THE 'DON'T TREAD ON ME' FLAG

Although use of the rattlesnake symbol was originally the contribution of Benjamin Franklin, the yellow background and coiled serpent was originally adopted by original members of what would later become the U.S. Marine Corps* as a clear and unequivocal message to the British Navy and British Crown:

DON'T TREAD ON ME

(* - note to the U.S. Commander-in-Chief : rhymes with 'core,' not 'corpse')

The Gadsden 'Don't Tread on Me' flag proved quite popular amongst American colonists, and eventually found use throughout the 13 colonies. Though the flag is no longer considered an official military flag, the flag continues to be flown by the men and women of the United States Marine Corps and other branches serving around the world, and displayed proudly as a show of solidarity by friends and family back here at home.

As Americans, we certainly have many reasons to be grateful to the men and women of the U.S. Marine Corps*, but we owe them a particular debt of thanks for allowing us to make use of their stunning flag to send a quiet but clear and unequivocal message to Washington, to the State Capitol, and to City Hall:

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Of course, citizens telling their government 'Don't Tread on Me' has never been without controversy--and this election has become the latest round.

We've learned that some local election officials in Texas are refusing to allow voters wearing these flag pins or 'Don't Tread on Me' attire to vote unless they remove the flag pins or attire. The election officials claim that the display of the 'Don't Tread on Me' message at a polling place is somehow contrary to Texas law. It is our understanding that they are citing to one of two provisions of the Election Code in support of these decisions.

Section 61.010 of the Texas Election Code reads, in relevant part, as follows:

§ 61.010. WEARING NAME TAG OR BADGE IN POLLING PLACE. (a) ...a person may not wear a badge, insignia, emblem, or other similar communicative device relating to a candidate, measure, or political party appearing on the ballot, or to the conduct of the election, in the polling place or within 100 feet of any outside door through which a voter may enter the building in which the polling place is located...

(c) A person commits an offense if the person violates Subsection (a). An offense under this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor. (emphasis added)

A similar provision, Section 85.036, reads as follows:

§ 85.036. ELECTIONEERING PROHIBITED. (a) During the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located...

(e) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor. (emphasis added)

The above sections of the election code prohibit buttons, insignia or electioneering:

1. Relating to a political candidate on the ballot.

2. Relating to a measure on the ballot.

3. Relating to a political party on the ballot.

It's not fully clear how the election officials raising objections have arrived at the conclusion that a 'Don't Tread on Me' pin or shirt relates to any of the above, but apparently some believe it does.

If you choose to wear a likeness of any tradtional American flag to the polling place and you are prevented from casting your vote because of the presence of that flag, you may choose to ask the local election officials to cite the relevant provision of Texas law they are applying and explain to you how they are applying it.

Of course, it hopefully goes without saying, but we encourage all of our members to maintain civility and composure at all times. While standing up for your own rights, please take care to avoid causing any disruption or interference with the rights of other voters. We certainly do not encourage anyone to do anything to get themselves cited, detained or arrested.

Finally, if you are prevented from voting for this or any other reason, we encourage you to contact us and relay to us all the available facts.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links
Advertisement