15% Ethanol blend gets the go-ahead? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

15% Ethanol blend gets the go-ahead?

Anyone else hear this? Supposedly, uncle Barry has granted the EPA the right to DEMAND that refineries now raise the ethanol content of gas to 15% to be used in cars made from 2007 on.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I knew they were looking at it, but I didn't know it was approved.

This will be another major cluster fuck. There are going to be a lot of blown engines in cars and small engine applications.

Congressman Burgess has a bill under consideration that kills it but who knows if that will be passed. http://burgess.house.gov/News/Docume...umentID=209611

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Lifer

expect chevy fuel pump sales to go up.

RON PAUL '08

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
BANNED

If it is for cars 2007 and up... this will require gas stations to have seperate tanks.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289 View Post
If it is for cars 2007 and up... this will require gas stations to have seperate tanks.
And probably another type of nozzle, i.e. diesel.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
This will be another major cluster fuck. There are going to be a lot of blown engines in cars and small engine applications.
Not too mention mpg going down even more.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
And probably another type of nozzle, i.e. diesel.
then I guess we go on the honesty system to make sure people with 2007 up vehicles use the new blend

Our EPA needs to kill itself.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Lifer

but mr obama wants gas milaege to go up not down.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Time Served

If this is true,its great news for the farmers lobbying for it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo3gt View Post
Of course it is. There's an obscene amount of money tied into the use of corn as a fuel (ethanol) since so many have converted their farms into corn production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Of course it is. There's an obscene amount of money tied into the use of corn as a fuel (ethanol) since so many have converted their farms into corn production.
And it's all subsidized...by US.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
And it's all subsidized...by US.
x2. The US government has corn farmers by the balls.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Pushed to the limit

I am all for it because I own stock in a company that produces ethanol.

Buying dogs kills.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
I am all for it because I own stock in a company that produces ethanol.
You better own a lot of it. When you start replacing entire fuel systems like they did in Australia, the extra cash will come in handy.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Time Served

Good way to get older cars off the road! If you didnt trade it in the government will blow it up for you since its not like you have a warranty.

Im REALLY starting to effing hate this country.... The kinda shit they even THINK about trying to do to the people is madness

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
15% ethanol will eat rubber fuel lines and gas tank orings. so i guess you could sue obama when your car catches fire.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

OR what if they have a wet spring and it rots before it can grow, or a hot dry summer and it burns up in the fields. This has colossal fuck up all over it.
And you can plan on paying a lot more for meat and milk and every thing in between.
Corn is feed not fuel cant have both.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Time Served

Thumbs down

Quote:
Anyone else hear this? Supposedly, uncle Barry has granted the EPA the right to DEMAND that refineries now raise the ethanol content of gas to 15% to be used in cars made from 2007 on.
How the hell would they police that? If i have choice of 93 with 10%? why would i choose the other? Look a Alien we better have sex with it!

ABRACADABRA HOMES!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress...f!OpenDocument
I won't put it in my car no matter the year.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo3gt View Post
exactamundo
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Time Served

This is exactly the sort of crap that happens when you don't fatten yourself 100 lbs past obesity by consuming enough corn sugar.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
T-MINUS

Nice, look for food to shoot up. $10/lb chicken should really help the economy.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

I'd like to shed my 2 cents here.

I live in the midwest, and currently live in a major corn state.

I see alot more corn being grown by farmers and its pure and simple supply and demand. Corn farmers live the life, and this is not the norm. There are alot of hobby farms up here ie 120 acres and under. Most do 75% corn and the rest to soybeans. All they do is plow the land and they pay someone to come plant and harvest(ie custom cuters).

Now Move to a state where there is very little corn. Kansas, where my family farm is located.

Farmers rely on the one good year about every 10 years to keep their operations going. They get all they can get when they can get it. I know the high fuel cost of a few years ago almost killed my family farm.

Years ago a farm of my size could support more than one family unit. Aka you would be working along side your father, grandfather, brothers, and wives. It is not this way anymore. I would be there now if this was not the case. We own a little over 1200 acres in north central Kansas. If my great grandfather would have just moved a few hundred miles north to corn country. We would only have to farm about 300 acres and could have nice new equipment. Not shit from the late 70's.

A acre of farm land in Iowa around me goes for 6-9k per acre. I'm about to buy 40 for our farm in Kansas at 800 a acre.

Now With all that said I still think Being a Farmer Is the way to live life. Its nice to wake up in the morning and be able todo whatever the fuck you want. As long as the work gets done when it needs to be. Hell In the winter the only thing that needs done is feeding the cows.

With all that said We all need gas and we are fucked. The end.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

What kinda power loss you think it would cause?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 AM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
x2. The US government has corn farmers by the balls.

He meant we the taxpayer.

And this is just more of the usual BS that will never stop.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
He meant we the taxpayer.

And this is just more of the usual BS that will never stop.
Yeah. Accidental double entendre!

These are old arguments, but I don't blame the farmers for any of this. They're just growing what makes them money. The problem is that corn is a lousy product to make ethanol from. It's a lot less effecient to convert, and we should NOT be burning a food source in our vehicles.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Lifer

the goverment want to fuck us out of our fuel like they fucked us on our money.

bastards.

RON PAUL '08
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Lifer

You guys know that current unleaded is 10% ethanol right? Another 5% wont hurt anything.

Just like all the myths about E85 would eat rubber fuel lines and corrode carbs and all that other mess. Its all crap. I ran E85 and the only thing I noticed was accelerated rusting in my exhaust due to water byproduct of the fuel. So E15 which is what this is wont hurt anything except maybe cause MPG to go down.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
You guys know that current unleaded is 10% ethanol right? Another 5% wont hurt anything.

Just like all the myths about E85 would eat rubber fuel lines and corrode carbs and all that other mess. Its all crap. I ran E85 and the only thing I noticed was accelerated rusting in my exhaust due to water byproduct of the fuel. So E15 which is what this is wont hurt anything except maybe cause MPG to go down.
Ask GM Australia about this issue. Did you run it long-term? Years, not months?
The main issues are 1) the price of corn-based (or anything that eats corn, i.e. cattle, poultry, etc) going up substantially in price, 2) gas mileage being affected even more, 3) the gov't continuing to subsidize (with out tax dollars) something that doesn't work.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
PAN

Quote:

I'm all for paying more for fuel, which is what this does. The fuel doesn't go as far so you pay more, in addition to the already fluctuating prices, for less. Why you guys can't grasp that simple premise is baffling.

Go go go democrats!
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Lifer

And what about the fact that it takes almost a gallon of diesel fuel to produce 1 gallon of pure ethanol. Hmm. wonder why the price of diesel fuel keeps going up. I see no good that comes from ethanol, only bad. Also you might want to remember that "big corn producers" gave a-lot of money to the obama campaign, and I am not talking about the farmers.

I can put pure 100% gas in my wife's Tahoe and it will get 17mpg in town with the shit around here it gets about 15. So tell me how is this good for the environment?

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Ask GM Australia about this issue. Did you run it long-term? Years, not months?
The main issues are 1) the price of corn-based (or anything that eats corn, i.e. cattle, poultry, etc) going up substantially in price, 2) gas mileage being affected even more, 3) the gov't continuing to subsidize (with out tax dollars) something that doesn't work.
No, your right, I ran the stuff for less than a year. But when I pulled my setup apart before selling it all the AN fittings looked perfect along with the inside of my lines, rails, etc. I have also been keeping up with E85 on alot of forums Im part of and most laugh at the rumors about the stuff because no one has seen any proof of it. The problem is methenol and ethenol being confused and people thinking back of the days of running alcohol and the problems associated with it. Ethenol has issues for sure but no were as harsh as people make it out to be.

As far as paying more for corn based products, I cant argue with that. Your exactly right on that front and that is something I have thought of since I first started reading about E85 and E99. The good thing is ethenol doesnt have to be made from just corn products, I thought I read something some where, where they can make ethenol from other products as well. I could be wrong but it still wouldnt help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
I'm all for paying more for fuel, which is what this does. The fuel doesn't go as far so you pay more, in addition to the already fluctuating prices, for less. Why you guys can't grasp that simple premise is baffling.

Go go go democrats!
Your also right, people fill up on E85 thinking they are getting a deal when in fact the MPG they loose means they are paying more to go every mile.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The good thing is ethenol doesnt have to be made from just corn products, I thought I read something some where, where they can make ethenol from other products as well. I could be wrong but it still wouldnt help.

You're right it doesn't have to be made from corn. I read an article in (I think) Popular Science, they were making ethenol from a native grass in Kansas. IIRC the grass based ethenol was a lot cheaper to produce than the corn based ethenol. IE no fertilizing or replanting, because it was native and perinial. Plus you wouldn't be driving up the cost of everything else in the food chain! There are lots cheaper ways to get fuel but the people with the money are making sure their products are being used.

You can produce ethenol from just about anything. Hell my brother in law used to work for a company called HEAT and they produced fuels from anything they could get their hands on. Their biggest supplier was Mary Kay! They would take the left over stuff from them to help produce the fuels they were making.

92 5.0 LX hatch

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 AM
PAN

Quote:
You're also right, people fill up on E85 thinking they are getting a deal when in fact the MPG they loose means they are paying more to go every mile.

I can guarantee you that they won't drop the price of fuel when they raise the percentage. So the "getting a deal" part doesn't really work.

Bottom line is we're getting stuck one more time.

Also, they're not going to have separate tanks. It's gonna be "this is only for 07 and up but it's all there is so pay up chump".
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperLS View Post
I'd like to shed my 2 cents here.

I live in the midwest, and currently live in a major corn state.

I see alot more corn being grown by farmers and its pure and simple supply and demand. Corn farmers live the life, and this is not the norm. There are alot of hobby farms up here ie 120 acres and under. Most do 75% corn and the rest to soybeans. All they do is plow the land and they pay someone to come plant and harvest(ie custom cuters).

Now Move to a state where there is very little corn. Kansas, where my family farm is located.

Farmers rely on the one good year about every 10 years to keep their operations going. They get all they can get when they can get it. I know the high fuel cost of a few years ago almost killed my family farm.

Years ago a farm of my size could support more than one family unit. Aka you would be working along side your father, grandfather, brothers, and wives. It is not this way anymore. I would be there now if this was not the case. We own a little over 1200 acres in north central Kansas. If my great grandfather would have just moved a few hundred miles north to corn country. We would only have to farm about 300 acres and could have nice new equipment. Not shit from the late 70's.

A acre of farm land in Iowa around me goes for 6-9k per acre. I'm about to buy 40 for our farm in Kansas at 800 a acre.

Now With all that said I still think Being a Farmer Is the way to live life. Its nice to wake up in the morning and be able todo whatever the fuck you want. As long as the work gets done when it needs to be. Hell In the winter the only thing that needs done is feeding the cows.

With all that said We all need gas and we are fucked. The end.
I grew up in Davenport, lived on a farm near Guernsey for many years.
Farming is starting to make money again. And like my post above we all can plan on food prices jumping like crazy. Bad year and small crops = $$$.
Farmers its a win win they take a nice insurance policy on a crop and get paid win or loose when theress a demand for the crop. You can only grow so much per acre. Planting more corn and less beans is not going to help much in the end also. People just don't under stand 99% of corn is or was grown for feed and food products. Less soybeans is going to cost us also.
beans are used in a shit load of things in our life day to day.
We can expect to pay more for beef that wont taste as good. and every ting beans go into. Goggle soy beans some time, they where the main crop grown.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs94formula View Post
There are lots cheaper ways to get fuel but the people with the money are making sure their products are being used.
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew I wasn't talking about the farmers in this one. When the gov first decided to mandate the 10% ethenol in gas the price of corn skyrocketed overnight. Bad thing was the corn growers had already sold it off to brokers. So when big oil stepped in and paid over inflated prices the farmers were left out of it! My in laws have family in the midwest who grow corn and they were none too pleased about it.

92 5.0 LX hatch

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Boneless

I know lines, filters, priming bulbs etc. don't last for any length of time in small engines using this shit. The rubber/neoprene lines virtually fall apart in your fingers. I recommend using the Sta-bil Marine formula. It seems to help out on the farm with my Grandpa's equipment.

NEEDED:

Almost There.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement