Fort Worth needs to declare bankruptcy to void these deal - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Fort Worth needs to declare bankruptcy to void these deal

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09...bble-will.html

Stupidity for people to expect tax payors to pay someone twice the annual income for a family for the US for the next 30+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Worship me

Let them keep doing what they are doing now, it will end shortly.

That has been my solution to all these city level issues, they can't raise taxes so let the unions run the cities into bankruptcy. There have been a few places where it has already happened.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

WTF?!?!

Seriously, that's all I can say. That is fucked up beyond recognition.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Time Served

Ft Worth signed the deal, now they have to figure out a way to deal with it.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
Ft Worth signed the deal, now they have to figure out a way to deal with it.
Exactly. As stated in the article:

....and their promises have to be kept.

Councilman Carter Burdette is right to say the only solution is to increase contributions and reduce benefits. But the city keeps being told that it can't cut benefits, because it's blocked by contracts with fire and police, a state constitutional amendment and rulings from the attorney general.

The City issued a contract with their employees, now they legally have to abide by same. It may not seem fair today, but where were all these complaints against it years ago when the private sector was booming?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
It may not seem fair today, but where were all these complaints against it years ago when the private sector was booming?
Where in the private secotr do people make $90k+ a year in retirement at the 50 years old?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Let them keep doing what they are doing now, it will end shortly.

That has been my solution to all these city level issues, they can't raise taxes so let the unions run the cities into bankruptcy. There have been a few places where it has already happened.
QFT...

At this point they are just delaying the inevitable.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Lifer

FTW will be just like Detroit in a couple years. I dont think that LEOs or Fire employees or other city employee deserves any retirement other than what they invest in just like the average citizen in the private sector. Do away with ALL retirement plans and dont let state employees bank sick pay so they can get cash at the end of the year (use it or lose it). This should free up some revenue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
Where in the private secotr do people make $90k+ a year in retirement at the 50 years old?
The private sector conditions existing today with respect to retirement and other benefits are often bad indeed. You and others overlook the fact that these public sector workers retiring today at 50 years old started their careers on average 25 years ago. 25 years ago, in 1985, the private sector offered much better wage compensation (and retirement options in many cases) than did the public sector. I was there, were you? These public sector workers you now bash exchanged lower wages back then in return for future retirement and current/future health benefits. It turned out they were the smart ones in many cases.

Not every public sector employee is/was eligible to retire at 50, but the LEOs and firefighters are. They took the job with the promise of those benefits, and now they are entitled to them. Fort Worth municipal leadership mesed up by not planning for this, and I understand that they are now running a RIF among other measures to help close their funding shortfall. They can and should adjust their compensation packages to reflect today's realities, but that doesn't make the worker who earned their retirement under the old rules a lazy sack o' chit as they are often portrayed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
ftw will be just like detroit in a couple years. I dont think that leos or fire employees or other city employee deserves any retirement other than what they invest in just like the average citizen in the private sector. Do away with all retirement plans and dont let state employees bank sick pay so they can get cash at the end of the year (use it or lose it). This should free up some revenue.
+1

When seconds count, police are only minutes away!

Dying for me was the most He could do, living for Him is the least I can do.

CSBA #600
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
FTW will be just like Detroit in a couple years. I dont think that LEOs or Fire employees or other city employee deserves any retirement other than what they invest in just like the average citizen in the private sector. Do away with ALL retirement plans and dont let state employees bank sick pay so they can get cash at the end of the year (use it or lose it). This should free up some revenue.
Agree that sick time should not be convertable directly to cash. How many hours of sick time does a state employee earn in a year?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:12 PM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Agree that sick time should not be convertable directly to cash. How many hours of sick time does a state employee earn in a year?

Ask paladin, If I recall he works for FW and claims to be a conservative .

Republicans drove the car off the cliff and democrats had to do all of the work getting it back out of the ditch

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds at dfwstangs.net

MONEY NEVER SLEEPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
When you pull in 20 million percent a year like BULLET, you have your share of 5 and 6 figure days!

GENUFLECT TO THE BULLET

FACTS ARE LIKE ACID TO THE SKIN OF REPUBLICONS
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Worship me

Quote:
No idea but in the article those lump sum payments are most likely sick time.

Like I said above, I don't care what kind of agreement that the city and their employees have. I don't live there. As long as they don't try to get the state of the Feds to cover their shortfall then I am fine with whatever they want to do. Of course in California the unions are asking the state and the feds to cover their contracts when the cities can't.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Lifer

I dont understand the logic of saying the city needs to claim bankruptcy in order to not honor a contract. Thats just shady as hell IMO. If they need to claim bankruptcy then go for it, but just to get out of contracts they made with people years ago?

Those people are making a killing on their pensions and Im not saying its right or wrong. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on that one. But imagine working 30 years for a company under a contract they agreed to, only to have them file bankruptcy so they dont have to honor it. Fuck that!

**EDIT** Oh and FTP!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
I dont understand the logic of saying the city needs to claim bankruptcy in order to not honor a contract. Thats just shady as hell IMO. If they need to claim bankruptcy then go for it, but just to get out of contracts they made with people years ago?

Those people are making a killing on their pensions and Im not saying its right or wrong. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on that one. But imagine working 30 years for a company under a contract they agreed to, only to have them file bankruptcy so they dont have to honor it. Fuck that!
I am also a true believer in a contract is a contract, and the city should do all it can to honor them.

Its just stark reality that at some point, the city may just go bankrupt honoring those contracts.... At that point you can't get blood from a stone.

Worst case scenario, what's more important? A huge pension or running water for the city?

Times are hard and both sides are gonna have to come to the table I think...

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Ask paladin, If I recall he works for FW and claims to be a conservative .
His working for FW wouldn't have anything to do with being a state employee.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post

**EDIT** Oh and FTP!
I'm just of the opinion that milking the taxpayers for even more money to fund a contract that was unrealistic from the beginning is even worse. The city leaders are 100% to blame for this. Those contracts should have never been signed but that would require some actual work on their part. It is much easier just to give in and kick the can on down the road for someone else to deal with or to just try to fuck the taxpayers to death with tax increases.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Canada is welcome here.

So basically, unions are the devil. I know that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I'm just of the opinion that milking the taxpayers for even more money to fund a contract that was unrealistic from the beginning is even worse. The city leaders are 100% to blame for this. Those contracts should have never been signed but that would require some actual work on their part. It is much easier just to give in and kick the can on down the road for someone else to deal with or to just try to fuck the taxpayers to death with tax increases.
All good points. This is a local version of the mess that is Social Security, without the raiding that's taken place by Congress.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Token Troll

Yet another good reason why government pensions suck...for us!

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement