Obama's DREAM Act - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Obama's DREAM Act

Lawmakers say Obama promises he'll push DREAM Act

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE (AP) – 4 hours ago

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is promising to work with senators to help pass legislation allowing thousands of young people who attend college or join the military to become legal U.S. residents, according to Hispanic lawmakers who met Thursday with the president.

"The president made it absolutely clear to us that he would leave no stone unturned" in pushing for Senate approval of what's known as the DREAM Act, said Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has said he wants to add the immigration measure to a defense policy bill the Senate plans to take up before lawmakers leave town to campaign for the November elections.

Republicans oppose that move and have accused Reid of playing politics with the bills.

Some military leaders support Reid because of the recruitment potential for the armed services. Under the bill, the young people must have come to the U.S. before age 16 and have lived here for five years. At least two years of military service would be required.

"The president noted that it is time to stop punishing innocent young people for the actions of their parents, especially when those youth grew up in America and want to serve this country in the military or pursue a higher education," the White House said in a statement after Obama's meeting at the White House with Gutierrez, Rep. Nydia Velazquez, D-N.Y., and Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J.

When Obama was a senator he supported the DREAM Act, which has been kicking around Congress for nearly a decade.

The meeting followed Obama's speech Wednesday night at a Hispanic awards dinner, where he urged Latinos not to punish Democrats at the polls because he's been unable to keep his promise to sign a comprehensive immigration bill into law.

Advocates, meanwhile, are launching a major lobbying effort for DREAM, enlisting educators, clergy and others to press senators to back the measure.

Velazquez said passing the bill "is the right thing to do. It's a matter of fairness for thousands and thousands of young kids" who entered the country illegally with their families. She and others say they should not be punished.

Republicans contend that the bill rewards law breakers.

"The DREAM Act is yet another attempt by Washington Democrats to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants who have broken our laws," said Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga.

Carlos Saavedra, national coordinator of United We Dream, a coalition of student immigrant advocacy groups, said voters who care about the issue will be watching how senators vote on the bill.

"Folks are literally dropping their lives right now to work on this," Saavedra said Thursday. "This is one of our last chances to get some justice to the immigrant community and immigrant youth. It's huge."

___

Associated Press writer Suzanne Gamboa contributed to this report.

(This version CORRECTS the state that Gutierrez represents to Illinois instead of California.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Can't wait for the Congressional elections. It's time to a stop to this BS. Most polls show a strong turn in the tide favoring the GOP. God, let's hope that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
Can't wait for the Congressional elections. It's time to a stop to this BS. Most polls show a strong turn in the tide favoring the GOP. God, let's hope that's true.
And what makes you think the new boss will not be the same as the old boss? (any one remember that old song?) <---hint this has been going on for a long time. Nothing will change, no executive order will be over turned, no law will be repelled.

Yes a few good people make it in every now and again, and make a real difference. But that don't happen often enough for me.

Your going to have to start making changes on a local level before any real change can occur.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Lifer

My dream i that this modern day robin hood gets thrown out on his face!!!

98 Brokra
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ View Post
My dream i that this modern day robin hood gets thrown out on his face!!!
Don't disgrace robin hood like that. Robin Hood was benevolent, he took from the corrupt rich to give to the poor. Obama is the corrupt rich taking from the hard working rich to give to himself and his voters.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Lifer

My DREAM would be for Michelle to flip out and give Adolph Obama a "Columbian necktie".

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Local Fox channel just showed a poll that 52% of voters will be voting against incumbents this next election.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Factory Issue

I thought you could get citizenship with military service already. Is that not the truth?

Give me a dollar.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Lifer

OK unless Im missing something, that means people have to have been here before 16 and living here at least 5 years ILLEGALLY to be able to join the military and get citizenship?

You guys can say what you want but if a mexican wants to become a US citizen and would enlist to do it then I say let them in. No doubt about that, but I dont know about the college part. Might as well say if you want to become a citizen then come get on welfare and we will grant it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Lifer

Does Mexico have a Dream act? Ive always wanted to join the mexican drug cartel

98 Brokra
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
T-MINUS

Drastically Raping Every American Maliciously?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I've yet to form a full opinion on this bill..

For one, while I'm greatly in favor of a much more open "legal" immigration policy, I am totally against illegal immigration. I think we need to make it more difficult for illegals to remain in this country by simply making it more difficult for them to find work..

That said, the folks that qualify for this program would pretty much have to have been brought here by their parents when they are minors. Also, these kids are more likely to be molded into fit into the melting pot experience of the US. If they join the military that melting pot experience is almost a given. You can end up with some pretty good Americans.

All that said, if you give an inch, they'll take a yard. That is part of my concern with a bill like this.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Velazquez said passing the bill "is the right thing to do. It's a matter of fairness for thousands and thousands of young kids" who entered the country illegally with their families. She and others say they should not be punished.

Republicans contend that the bill rewards law breakers.

"The DREAM Act is yet another attempt by Washington Democrats to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants who have broken our laws," said Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga.
They admit what the Repubs are saying, but its still the right thing to do? *sigh*

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!

Location: listening to the box of excuses why fourteen3s million dollar car wont run a number...
SO, enroll in college, become a citizen (while we pay for it not to mention) and drop out? anyone else see this as another potential issue with an already flawed plan?

resident heater core/ring&pinion installer
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Worship me

I like the part where if you want to come join the military and do your time you can become a citizen. That is great.

I don't like the part where if you are an illegal you get rewarded for breaking the law.

As usual they turn everything into a political stunt.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Lifer

At first thought I was okay with the military portion until I realized that would still be rewarding them for having been in the country illegally. Why give citizenship to a person who doesn't care enough about our country to become a citizen legally?

I am for making the process of legally becoming a citizen much more streamlined, but not for those already here illegally.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbullitt View Post
SO, enroll in college, become a citizen (while we pay for it not to mention) and drop out? anyone else see this as another potential issue with an already flawed plan?
It wouldn't be the first time a liberal hadn't considered the unintended consequences of their plans. It won't be the last either.

I am almost said career politicans instead of liberals since I am quickly getting the same disdain for career politicians as I do for liberals.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:

Carlos Saavedra, national coordinator of United We Dream, a coalition of student immigrant advocacy groups, said voters who care about the issue will be watching how senators vote on the bill.

"Folks are literally dropping their lives right now to work on this," Saavedra said Thursday. "This is one of our last chances to get some justice to the immigrant community and immigrant youth. It's huge."
What? Illegal immigrants need justice for breaking the law? Their justice should be that they get to leave and not go to jail.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM
BANNED

I agree with the joining the military.. serving a full honorable term and receiving citizenship.

I do not agree with just going to college.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I'm not in favor of anything until the border is secured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement