A&M scientist has gulf samples and notes taken by Feds for "national security" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

A&M scientist has gulf samples and notes taken by Feds for "national security"

http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/pr...security-video
Here's a transcript of what's said in the video.

FLATOW, HOST: Yeah, let me to go the phones, Darren(ph) in College Station, Texas. Hi, Darren.

DARREN (Caller): Hello, Ira.

FLATOW: Hi, there.

DARREN: I’m an adjunct professor here at A&M, and we were also in the Gulf, but got thrown out. We were testing a theory that the chemical composition of the dispersant they were using was causing the oil to sink. And we’d been there for approximately three days, and federal agents flat told us to get out. And it wasn’t Fish and Wildlife officers. These were Homeland Security officers, and we were told that it was in the interest of national security.

CARY NELSON, president, American Association of University Professors,: I mean, I could see restricting access so that 500 people shouldn’t be able to ride their dune buggies along the beach, but reputable scientists should have access.

FLATOW: Darren, did take your samples away or anything – take anything away from you?

DARREN: Oh, yeah, they inspected the boat. They, of course, checked everyone’s identification, and they took all the samples that we had. And they also took some notes that we had. The theory that we were operating upon was information that had been given to us by someone who worked in the plant that made that dispersant. And they took everything.

FLATOW: Wow.

DARREN: (unintelligible)…

Prof. NELSON: Ira, it’s really kind of an insane world that we’ve entered into in terms of the barring of reputable scientists from a public site where they can contribute considerably to the knowledge that we have.

FLATOW: Dr. D’Elia, do you know of other cases like Darren’s?

Dr. CHRISTOPHER D’ELIA, professor and dean, School of The Coast and Environment, Louisiana State University: Yes, I’ve heard of other cases…

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Lifer

The oil went somewhere, this may explain it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

And guess what was on the national news last night? Other scientists have found an area of oil on the floor of the Gulf several inches thick. The area is at least 70 miles long and there are only microbes living in the sludge.
Anybody that actually believed the oil "evaporated" needs to take some 10th grade chemistry classes. Of course the dispersant worked, it dispersed the oil right to the bottom.

This is WAY too big for them to sweep under the rug.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The oil went somewhere, this may explain it.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100913/...pill_sea_floor

NEW ORLEANS – Far beneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, deeper than divers can go, scientists say they are finding oil from the busted BP well on the sea's muddy and mysterious bottom.

Oil at least two inches thick was found Sunday night and Monday morning about a mile beneath the surface. Under it was a layer of dead shrimp and other small animals, said University of Georgia researcher Samantha Joye, speaking from the helm of a research vessel in the Gulf.

The latest findings show that while the federal government initially proclaimed much of the spilled oil gone, now it's not so clear.

At these depths, the ocean is a cold and dark world. Yet scientists say that even though it may be out of sight, oil found there could do significant harm to the strange creatures that dwell in the depths — tube worms, tiny crustaceans and mollusks, single-cell organisms and Halloween-scary fish with bulging eyes and skeletal frames.

"I expected to find oil on the sea floor," Joye said Monday morning in a ship-to-shore telephone interview. "I did not expect to find this much. I didn't expect to find layers two inches thick. It's weird the stuff we found last night. Some of it was really dense and thick."

Joye said 10 of her 14 samples showed visible oil, including all the ones taken north of the busted well. She found oil on the sea floor as far as 80 miles away from the site of the spill.

"It's kind of like having a blizzard where the snow comes in and covers everything," Joye said.

And the look of the oil, its state of degradation, the way it settled on freshly dead animals all made it unlikely that the crude was from the millions of gallons of oil that naturally seep into the Gulf from the sea bottom each year, she said. Later this week, the oil will be tested for the chemical fingerprints that would conclusively link it to the BP spill.

"It has to be a recent event," Joye said. "There's still pieces of warm bodies there."

Since the well was capped on July 15 after some 200 million gallons flowed into the Gulf, there have been signs of resilience on the surface and the shore. Sheens have disappeared, while some marshlands have shoots of green. This seeming recovery is likely a result of massive amounts of chemical dispersants, warm waters and a Gulf that is used to degrading massive amounts of oil, scientists say.

Animal deaths also are far short of worst-case scenarios. But at the same time, a massive invisible plume of oil has been found under the surface, shifting scientists' concerns from what can be easily seen to what can't be.

For Ian MacDonald, a Florida State University biological oceanographer who wasn't part of Joye's team, the latest findings confirm that government assessments about how much oil remains — especially a report on the subject by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in August — were too optimistic.

The oil "did not disappear," he said. "It sank."

Not all scientists agree with this assessment.

Ed Overton, a Louisiana State University chemist who has analyzed the spill for NOAA, doubted much oil was resting on the bottom. He said the heavier components in oil — the asphalts — make up only about 1 percent of the oil that was spilled.

And Roger Sassen, an organic geochemist at Texas A&M University who has studied natural oil seeps, said so much oil seeps naturally into the Gulf each year that it's hard to argue that the BP spill will make a significant difference.

Nonetheless, the big questions now are exactly how much oil is at the bottom and how many organisms are being exposed to it, said Robert Carney, an oceanographer and deep-sea expert at Louisiana State University. The answers to those questions could shed some light on the unseen damage to wildlife from the oil spill.

"Deep-sea animals, in general, tend to produce fewer offspring than shallower water animals, so if they are going to have a population impact, it may be more sensitive in deep water," he said. "There is also some evidence that deep-sea animals live longer than shallower water species, so the impact may stay around longer."

At first, scientists, the media and the federal government focused their attention on tracking rainbow sheens approaching land, tar balls hitting beaches, measuring oil in marshes and scouting for oiled birds and sea turtles. But a spate of recent studies increasingly points to the deep.

NOAA's Aug. 4 pronouncement that the oil was mostly gone also indicated that some 53 million gallons remained in the Gulf. At the time, federal officials said some of that could be on the sea floor, adding that the rest was mostly broken down naturally or by the widespread use of chemical dispersants.

"As we get into weathered oil, there is more likelihood that it will get into the sediment," said Steve Murawski, chief scientist at the National Marine Fisheries Service, a division of NOAA.

Getting a handle on where the oil is at extreme depths will not be easy. Scientists will have to use expensive 1,000-pound devices that look like moon landers. The spindly legged machines land on the bottom and shoot tubes into the sea floor to collect 20-inch-long samples.

The terrain is exceedingly difficult. The area where the busted BP well sits is on the continental slope, formed by millions of years of deposits from the Mississippi River. It's a region of bumps and valleys, salt domes, canyons and slopes.

Government scientists acknowledge they've not done enough to look for oil in the obscure corners of the Gulf's bottom, but promise to do a better job.

"There are plans to do a considerable amount of that" sampling, said Debbie Payton, an oceanographer with NOAA's Office of Response and Restoration. In the coming weeks, NOAA and BP vessels will sample the deep bottoms, she said.

Joye's latest discovery backs up the findings of a University of South Florida crew that reported pulling up oily sediment in August.

"What we saw were flecks, little discontinued droplets, or spots" of oil on the sediment, said John H. Paul, a biological oceanographer on the USF survey. The oiled sediment was found about 1.4 miles down in the De Soto Canyon, an underwater canyon east of the blown-out well.

Sediment brought up still needs to undergo laboratory testing to verify that the oil found on the bottom comes from the BP oil spill.

For oil to sink, it must attach itself to materials that are heavier than water, such as detritus, flecks of mud, sands and other particles. Such materials are abundant in the Gulf in places where rivers, especially the Mississippi, flush mud and sand into the open sea. Oil also can sink as it ages and becomes more tar-like in a process known as weathering.

Scientists also say the oil may be sinking because it was broken up into tiny droplets by dispersants, making the oil so small that it wasn't buoyant enough to rise. One problem with oil at the sea floor is that it will take longer to degrade because of cold temperatures in the deep.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

so what would oil hurt at 5000 feet depth

we don't eat those animals from that deep, out of sight out of mind. it's gone.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyro View Post
Some of it's in less than 300 feet of water, and we definitely eat stuff from those depths.

Give me a dollar.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 AM
BANNED

Can't we find a way to pump it, refine it, and use it?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yup, everyone knows the bottom of the ocean is a closed system.

Working on my project Stang
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

any links? all I see is one mile down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Some of it's in less than 300 feet of water, and we definitely eat stuff from those depths.
"5point0ponyYup"
", everyone knows the bottom of the ocean is a closed system. "

at 5000' depth, pretty much
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
"5point0ponyYup"
", everyone knows the bottom of the ocean is a closed system. "

at 5000' depth, pretty much
Not my favorite source, but here's one from msnbc.com:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39150640/

If you eat gulf shrimp, they eat things from that far down. Bioaccumulation can push toxin levels in your food to pretty high levels. I don't think we're getting the whole story from anyone though, and to a certain point, I trust the USDA and the FDA to make sure what we get from the gulf is safe. We'll see what they end up finding down there.

Give me a dollar.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Looks like Obammy is ruled by the same old masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Time Served

Makes sense, no way it was "cleaned up" that fast...

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Rush was saying that it all "evaporated" or that "bacteria ate it" lol. Some times that guy is so full of shit. When he's right, he's right. But when he's full of shit, man is he ever full of shit.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Rush was saying that it all "evaporated" or that "bacteria ate it" lol. Some times that guy is so full of shit. When he's right, he's right. But when he's full of shit, man is he ever full of shit.
Please pull the video. I heard about him mocking the Obama Administration claim that it evaporated, but not that he himslef had claimed it had evaporated.

I hoep you didn't take some media story or left wing bloggers word about that. LOL

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Canada is welcome here.

This was from when I was listening to him on the radio. Where I am its Newstalk 820. Not sure what station it is elsewhere. But he was going on to say that the earth really couldn't be harmed by man (in the long run) and a bunch of other nonsense. I agree with everything but his environmental ideas. I mean sure in the long run once all that stops for whatever reason, it will heal. Doesn't really help the people that are getting cancer from stuff now, though.

Quote:

Quote:
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
This was from when I was listening to him on the radio. Where I am its Newstalk 820. Not sure what station it is elsewhere. But he was going on to say that the earth really couldn't be harmed by man (in the long run) and a bunch of other nonsense. I agree with everything but his environmental ideas. I mean sure in the long run once all that stops for whatever reason, it will heal. Doesn't really help the people that are getting cancer from stuff now, though.
Okay, I just thought I had heard he was mocking the Obama Admin. for claiming it had evaporated. Oh well.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

"The samples have come from seafloors at depths ranging from 300 to 4,000 feet deep."

[QUOTE=Yale;6331130]Not my favorite source, but here's one from msnbc.com:

no where in the article does it say the samples from 300 feet had oil. It just says they took samples from 300' to 4000'

The asteroid or meteor that landed in the Yucatan and may have caused the Dinosaur Extinction is estimated at one billion times the Hiroshima atomic bomb. When man made things reach that level, I'll start worrying about man causing Earth to fail.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0304142242.htm
"The new review of the evidence shows that the extinction was caused by a massive asteroid slamming into Earth at Chicxulub (pronounced chick-shoo-loob) in Mexico. The asteroid, which was around 15 kilometres wide, is believed to have hit Earth with a force one billion times more powerful than the atomic bomb at Hiroshima. It would have blasted material at high velocity into the atmosphere, triggering a chain of events that caused a global winter, wiping out much of life on Earth in a matter of days."

Last edited by jyro; 09-15-2010 at 08:14 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Time Served

They are lucky they haven't been sent to the Gulag yet and had their heads lopped off.... damn subversive scientists....
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Factory Issue

Those are non-sequitors, but you should absolutely do whatever makes you happy, man. I'm with it.

[QUOTE=jyro;6332004]
Quote:

no where in the article does it say the samples from 300 feet had oil. It just says they took samples from 300' to 4000'

The asteroid or meteor that landed in the Yucatan and may have caused the Dinosaur Extinction is estimated at one billion times the Hiroshima atomic bomb. When man made things reach that level, I'll start worrying about man causing Earth to fail.

"The new review of the evidence shows that the extinction was caused by a massive asteroid slamming into Earth at Chicxulub (pronounced chick-shoo-loob) in Mexico. The asteroid, which was around 15 kilometres wide, is believed to have hit Earth with a force one billion times more powerful than the atomic bomb at Hiroshima. It would have blasted material at high velocity into the atmosphere, triggering a chain of events that caused a global winter, wiping out much of life on Earth in a matter of days."

Give me a dollar.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Okay, I just thought I had heard he was mocking the Obama Admin. for claiming it had evaporated. Oh well.
[QUOTE=jyro;6332004]
Quote:

Maybe they can't make it fail, but maybe a few of us get lymphoma. No big deal.

Quote:

Quote:
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

If your going to worry about something try this

Quote:
Maybe they can't make it fail, but maybe a few of us get lymphoma. No big deal.
Worrying about oil 5000' under the ocean is a non sequitur. The oceans have ate
an estimated 4.2 million barrels of oil from natural seepage per year through out history.

A new superbug from India could spread around the world -- in part because of medical tourism -- and scientists say there are almost no drugs to treat it.
Alarm over 'unbeatable' enzyme that could make all bacterial diseases resistant to antibiotics.
Gene makes bacteria resistant to almost all antibiotics
Three cases of NDM-1 infection have been reported in the United States — in California, Massachusetts, and Illinois.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0zkWNDkql
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Worrying about oil 5000' under the ocean is a non sequitur. The oceans have ate an estimated 4.2 million barrels of oil from natural seepage per year through out history.
Always another excuse for why the environment can take just one more for the team, eh? What about the trillions of gallons of other pollutants? Bacteria gonna eat that too? Is it lymphoma time yet?

Quote:

Quote:
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

more chance of insecticide around your house

causing lymphoma than the oil spill under 5000' of water affecting any food you might eat.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Yeah and I heard that asbestos doesn't really give you lung cancer. Its all just a lie. Let me ask you this. At what point do you believe that you can be affected by your environment? I mean does it need to be like... your living room is the interior of that reactor in the glen rose nuclear plant? lol I hope they don't let you work with any chemicals that could be hazardous to your health. For your own sake.

Quote:

Quote:
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

Quote:
At what point do you believe that you can be affected by your environment?
If I see it, breath it, smell it, taste it, feel it, detect it with Instrument, it could effect me.

I live in the shadow of the worst polluter in the country, TXI, I've worked at the steel mill next to it for 31 years. I calibrate Nitrogen oxide and Carbon monoxide monitoring equipment and maintain a furnace that burns natural gas, lots of natural gas, 125,000 cubic feet per hour 24/7.

I'm not saying the oil on the bottom of a 5000' hole isn't bad. I'm just not going to actually worry about it affecting me or my family. There's nat. gas under my house at about 7500 feet, I'm also not worried about that affecting me.

I save my concerns for things closer and more immediate, my children, grandkids, taxes, gun control, thieves just to name a few. I worry more about my 3 peach trees than the BP left over oil at 5000 feet below the ocean being ate by micro organisms that have been doing this job for millions of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement