post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

NJ Gov. Christie Clashes with Teacher at Town Hall

Good Stuff right here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADGUM! We need soooooooooooooo many more like him!

EDIT: Christie 2012?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

Go Christie!
So let me get this straight... New Jersey educational system = the cast of "Jersey Shore" and they want a pay raise? Riiiiight.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I wish someone could convince his ass to run in 2012....
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Wait until after the mid-terms and see how he feels. He might change his tone from a "No," to an "I'm not sure." That should give you the signal that he does plan on running. Not sure who a good running mate for him would be though. Maybe a Huckabee/Christie ticket? I'm not sure why so many people still stand behind Mitt Romney.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Wait until after the mid-terms and see how he feels. He might change his tone from a "No," to an "I'm not sure." That should give you the signal that he does plan on running. Not sure who a good running mate for him would be though. Maybe a Huckabee/Christie ticket? I'm not sure why so many people still stand behind Mitt Romney.
Because he's a businessman, and a lot of folks feel like we need a true businessman to get us out of all this debt bullshit. Romney is not my first pick, but I'd kiss him full on the lips if he was up there now...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

No chance in hell of getting healthcare repealed if he's in office though.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
No need to repeal it, when they can just not fund it. It's much easier to do it that way.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Excellent. He made articulate arguments for himself, knew what he was talking about and refused to allow her to be disrespectful to him.

DFWMustangs.net
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Lifer

That dude is the fucking man.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Lifer

Gov. Christie just made me want to stand up and yell HELL YEAH!! I wish we had more people in office that were this clear, direct and not tap dancing around the middle.

One of the things the teacher's union was crying about was a proposal to pay $750 a year for full medical, dental & optometry? Crap! Give me that plan any day so that I can stop having to pay $7000 a year to cover my family with a 80/20 medical only plan. Talk about sounding like babies being pulled off the government tit!

90 LX
86 GN

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCPA View Post
Gov. Christie just made me want to stand up and yell HELL YEAH!! I wish we had more people in office that were this clear, direct and not tap dancing around the middle.

One of the things the teacher's union was crying about was a proposal to pay $750 a year for full medical, dental & optometry? Crap! Give me that plan any day so that I can stop having to pay $7000 a year to cover my family with a 80/20 medical only plan. Talk about sounding like babies being pulled off the government tit!
The whole northeastern part of the country has a "union-member" attitude, and all the entitlements they feel like they should get.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Time Served

Teachers are under skilled and over paid. That is a fact ! If they could not teach and be on the "TIT", they would be saying, "Clean up on Isle 9" at Wallyworld. That is if they would show up for work. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Time Served

The "entitlement" culture that our current regime touts as viable will be our ultimate undoing.

If you read some of the conspiracy gurus, this is actually their plan too.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Lifer

I am all for spending cuts, but there are certain government jobs that do deserve fair and competitive pay, police fire, fighters, and teachers are among them. you get what you pay for with everything in this world.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Lifer

lmao... shit down and shut up your stupid bitch... very well played, I could vote for him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Idiocracy: it's here. We're fucked.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Bullet Sponge

I love how he shuts down anyone who opens their head.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:11 AM
CJD
Time Served

LOVED the way he handled it.

Man, teachers in NJ make $55,000 a year with the state paying for their healthcare?? WTF??
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Time Served

I'm in the personnel business, and I have first hand knowledge of what jobs pay. A person who teaches 3rd grade is not worth $ 58,000 a year for 9 months work. This is not including their benefit package. If you consider the hours they put in, it works out to be around $ 40.00 per hour. That in no way compares to a private sector job. Just ask a teacher who teaches in a private school what they make.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fox View Post
I'm in the personnel business, and I have first hand knowledge of what jobs pay. A person who teaches 3rd grade is not worth $ 58,000 a year for 9 months work. This is not including their benefit package. If you consider the hours they put in, it works out to be around $ 40.00 per hour. That in no way compares to a private sector job. Just ask a teacher who teaches in a private school what they make.
and average of $58K a year is not a lot of money in NJ, they have higher taxes and a high cost of living. most teachers I know usually put in 10-12 hours per day, and most of them have to purchase their own materials.

teaching requires a 4 year college degree, the average person in NJ with a 4 year degree is making over $75K. also consider the fact that that 4 year degree in NJ cost on average $105K.

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Oh they will.

Quote:
Why not? Did he support Osamacare or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
and average of $58K a year is not a lot of money in NJ, they have higher taxes and a high cost of living. most teachers I know usually put in 10-12 hours per day, and most of them have to purchase their own materials.

teaching requires a 4 year college degree, the average person in NJ with a 4 year degree is making over $75K. also consider the fact that that 4 year degree in NJ cost on average $105K.
Not surprised to see you defending any kind of entitlement. I notice you didn't mention their healthcare costs. I have always wondered why teachers need a freaking 4 year degree to get that lousy job. It should be a two year. Which I think is actually possible. Anyway, here in the real world, people get paid what they are worth. They are well overpaid for the work they do and that is why they are under fire. No one held a gun to their head the whole time they were in school and forced them into a teaching degree. They made their bed, and now they get to lie in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Oh they will.

Why not? Did he support Osamacare or something?

Not surprised to see you defending any kind of entitlement. I notice you didn't mention their healthcare costs. I have always wondered why teachers need a freaking 4 year degree to get that lousy job. It should be a two year. Which I think is actually possible. Anyway, here in the real world, people get paid what they are worth. They are well overpaid for the work they do and that is why they are under fire. No one held a gun to their head the whole time they were in school and forced them into a teaching degree. They made their bed, and now they get to lie in it.
a 2 year degree to be a teacher are you kidding me??? even for an advanced math or science class a 4 year degree is usually not enough. education is probably the most important thing we do as a community, societies with the best education systems lead the world, do you want to be a leader or a follower?

I think if money is that tight where you are asking teachers to take a pay cut, then you are not trying hard enough. I would cut extra curricular activities, before teacher salaries.

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Canada is welcome here.

I agree about the importance of education. But in case you havn't noticed, entitlements aren't the way to go. There are plenty of smart ways to go about it, without being blatantly stupid. That is what he is killing off. All the blatantly stupid. And thats why liberals hate him. They like their blatantly stupid.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Fabrique National Fan

Quote:
a 2 year degree to be a teacher are you kidding me??? even for an advanced math or science class a 4 year degree is usually not enough. education is probably the most important thing we do as a community, societies with the best education systems lead the world, do you want to be a leader or a follower?

I think if money is that tight where you are asking teachers to take a pay cut, then you are not trying hard enough. I would cut extra curricular activities, before teacher salaries.
No salaries were being cut. They only wanted to instate a one year freeze on the 4.8% annual raise they get and the union had a fit. Heaven forbid they pay 1.5% for their would be free healthcare. Typical entitlement mentality, plain and simple.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
In a public school system a teacher earning $58K + benefits is worth every penny of that compensation. In addition to their official duties they often are expected to stand in as surrogate parents for kids whose real parents shirk their own child-rearing responsibilities.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Canada is welcome here.

I don't know about you guys, but all of my public school teachers were miserable failures when it came to my education. Sad but true. I didn't even graduate high school (got GED and went college) and no effort was made to stop me from quitting. It was pathetic. I have my doubts that new jersey's public schools are much different.

Quote:

Quote:
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Thats what i was thinking...4 years of college to make 58k a year....woohoo Im rich!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Bullet Sponge

Thing is, no one is forcing them to become teachers. They chose that career path because of one reason or another and I'm not really concerned what that reason is. Times are tough, people are laid off left and right. If you want to keep your job, then you do a pay freeze and start to pony up some of your health care costs. Hell, Obama wants returning vets to pay for their own prosthetics and to reimburse the VA for their care.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but all of my public school teachers were miserable failures when it came to my education. Sad but true. I didn't even graduate high school (got GED and went college) and no effort was made to stop me from quitting. It was pathetic. I have my doubts that new jersey's public schools are much different.

Same thing here. High School sucked balls and I made straight F's the first semester. Dropped out 3/4 of the way through 9th grade and had a bachelors degree in 2 years with a near 4.0 GPA.

You have it wrong; New Jerseys schools are much different in that they are MUCH worse. Look up some statistics about the public school system in that state and be prepared to be stunned. It is truly disgusting what passes for a school system in that state.

Gov Christie kicks ass. His mastery of the facts is second to none in that state. We need more like him and it is a pleasure to see him rip into dipshits like the gal in the film clip. Dick Cheney has the same mastery of the facts but he isn't the same type of public speaker and isn't as charismatic.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Lifer

Now, I can't argue about k-6th teachers being over paid... But when you get into the high school level, a higher education and tolerances for teen assholes is mandatory.

My wife is a High School Pre-AP and AP(college level) Biology teacher, and team leader of the biology department. She typically is at work from 6am in the morning, to 6pm in the evening. Helping students, grading, and putting together lesson plans. She will go work out for an hour, come and help fix dinner/eat and then get back to work for another 2-3 hours. On the weekend she normally works an additional 12 hours. In summery for nearly slightly over 9months out of the year she is doing 80-90 hour work weeks.

Last year, her and I both put in about $3k in school supplies for her classes.

She makes 48k a year, She pays about 1k a year in health benefits a year.

So knock that down to 47k, minus that 3k in school supplies... $44k...

Typical school year is about 34 weeks. 80 hour weeks for 34 weeks is right at $15-16 an hour...

Now this DOES NOT include all the work she does over the summer to prepare for the next year. It also does not count all the additional "learning" hours she is required to do every year. Also the fact that she maintains a wiki/facebook page where students can at any time ask questions on homework and she will reply almost instantly as it goes to her phone..

She could arguably be making around $10 an hour.... So if you think she is "overpaid" a big FUCK YOU my friend...

NOW, she will admit as a team leader...that some of her co-teachers should have been laid off years ago for being worthless pieces of shit that only work for 7:30 to 3:15 and refuse to work any more then that.

For those that will say, "well she knew what she was getting into..." Really? So who do you want to teach your students? My wife, or some bumb fuck teacher that only "works" 7:30 to 3:15 and doesn't give a shit about your child's education?

Another thing that bothers me is when she sends request home to the parents to help buy basic school supplies... Paper, scissors, pencils, etc. I don't know how many of them send her nasty emails about how they shouldn't have to pay for any of that and how it's her responsibility....

She is currently taking a class or two a semester to get her masters so she can start teaching at a college...

Now on the subject of Governor Christie and the teachers union... I'm glad he stuck it to them...

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Time Served

If the F you was intended for me, well I'm sorry you feel that way. I know several teachers that DO NOT buy all the extra shit for their classes. They work a normal schedule and make their time count when they are there. They do NOT coddle or try to make people who do not want to learn "Feel Good About Themselves". Remember, this is still a free country, and if your wife is so smart and dedicated to her work........try the private sector. She should make a forture in a short time. Maybe try to run her own business. Then you could be a real "Go Getter". You could take her to work in the morning, and in the evening, "Go Get Her ".
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
I am all for spending cuts, but there are certain government jobs that do deserve fair and competitive pay, police fire, fighters, and teachers are among them. you get what you pay for with everything in this world.
I hate that statement "You get what you pay for." More often than not, its dead wrong. What if I drastically overpay for my new car? Did I get what I paid for? Did it somehow grow a few new amenities because I paid a little more for the exact same item? No I got ripped off. I should have gone down the street to the other dealership where they had a better deal. You can also come across a hell of a deal, and pay a lot less than an item was worth. If that happens, did you get what you paid for? Did the item somehow lose quality because I paid less for it? Did the workmanship somehow decrease? "You get what you pay for" is a retarded statement that is far too broad and general to have any real world application.

As others have said, teachers are well overpaid. I don't give a shit if you have to put up with bratty little shits all day, you fucking signed up for it. And its an easy job in the cool AC. Let all those crying pussy ass teachers go roughneck for 1 day. See if they still think their job is hard.

Quote:

Quote:
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Bullet Sponge

And they only work 9 months a year and are paid for 12
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Only job in existence that has 3 months paid vacation every year.

Quote:

Quote:
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Factory Issue

I'd vote for him for POTUS. Mitt Romney is weird enough to be VPOTUS, too.

Give me a dollar.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Yeah, I went to Private School my whole life. I wanted to go to Public School during Junior High, but I ended up staying. Now I'm glad I did. I look at what's going on in the Public Schools today and there's no way in hell I'm going to let my kids go to Public School. However, it's not all on teachers. My Dad was a Teacher, and I can tell you from what he used to tell me growing up, and what I saw when I had to go to Summer School in Public School, some of it is parents who seemingly don't take any sort of an active role in their child's life. Their kids do whatever they want. They don't let parents get away with that in Private School.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Time Served

Schools

We should phase out all public schools over a 5 year period. Sell the real estate to private concerns who could run them right. Eliminate sports and basket weaving and all the crap classes. Sell the buses and free the teachers and administrative employees from their bondage. They would be free to seek their fortunes in the private sector. The good ones would do well, and all the others would learn to say, "Clean up on Isle 9" at Wally World. Some could become "Pot Trotters" at our many nursing homes. Now there is a real need. If a parent or child did not want to learn and play by the rules .....well there would be the next band of laborers to take the jobs that the illegal aliens take. See, two problems solved. If sports are important then the private sector would take care of it. The only problem would be to do it like the public schools do it the price of a ticket would be $ 500.00 per game. No body would pay it. I'm tired of paying for fleets of new school buses to haul kids while working people have to pay to get to work. I'm tired of over built schools that sit idle in the Summer and after 4 PM. Why not have two shifts at a school and run them 12 months out of the year. If Wal Mart can stay open 24-7 all year long, I know the very intelligent school officials could figure it out. If not, hire a Wal Mart manager to coach them.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Hustlin'

I hear about NJ politics all the time here in NYC. That state is a disaster.

Good Job on this Chris.

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
We should phase out all public schools over a 5 year period. Sell the real estate to private concerns who could run them right. Eliminate sports and basket weaving and all the crap classes. Sell the buses and free the teachers and administrative employees from their bondage. They would be free to seek their fortunes in the private sector. The good ones would do well, and all the others would learn to say, "Clean up on Isle 9" at Wally World. Some could become "Pot Trotters" at our many nursing homes. Now there is a real need. If a parent or child did not want to learn and play by the rules .....well there would be the next band of laborers to take the jobs that the illegal aliens take. See, two problems solved. If sports are important then the private sector would take care of it. The only problem would be to do it like the public schools do it the price of a ticket would be $ 500.00 per game. No body would pay it. I'm tired of paying for fleets of new school buses to haul kids while working people have to pay to get to work. I'm tired of over built schools that sit idle in the Summer and after 4 PM. Why not have two shifts at a school and run them 12 months out of the year. If Wal Mart can stay open 24-7 all year long, I know the very intelligent school officials could figure it out. If not, hire a Wal Mart manager to coach them.
We should phase out all manner of government shit over a 5 year period, including schools. But that would require them to give up what they hold most dear, a little bit of power and a few bucks.

Quote:

Quote:
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Worship me

Quote:

Yes, make $58K a year and get three months off.

Go ahead and tell the whole story if you are going to tell it.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Lifer

this thread is full of fail.
There are 3 professions that deserve to be paid more than anyone else. Military, Fire Fighter/Police and Teachers. With these the country would have no future and no protection. They have to deal with the most shit on a consistent basis. Not only do I have to raise my own kids but I am expected to raise someones kids who is too lazy or could care less about teaching them anything.
For those of you who said you dropped out of school tells me that your parents didn't really give a shit about you either. You fucked off for half of your 9th grade year and equated it to how HS was going to be all 4 years. You just didn't give a shit and you someone failed you by not holding you accountable. Good for you that you went completed your GED. Do you want a pat on the back? Getting a GED gives you nowhere near the amount of knowledge that completing high school will give you.
I realize that there are some bad teachers out there. There are bad employees in every profession. It's just too bad that all you ever hear about are the bad ones. Not all teachers fuck their students....
You can choose to get paid for 10 months or 12. So the time off argument holds no water.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Only job in existence that has 3 months paid vacation every year.
My wife only gets about 6 weeks of the summer off. She ends after the kids, starts before the kids and is called in early to start preparing for the new year. She is a middle school counselor so it is a little different, but she is still lumped in with the teachers.

99 Light Pewter Metallic FRC Corvette,TSP 5.3 heads, TSP 229/231 .623/.617 110.5 cam, FAST 92/NW 92 TB, LGMotorsports Longtubes, Corsa Pace Car cat back, Vararam and LS7 clutch.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Time Served

Six Weeks Off

That is a lot of time off. Why doesn't she get two weeks off like people in the private sector.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
That is a lot of time off. Why doesn't she get two weeks off like people in the private sector.
Because she works at a job where her "customers" are only there nine months out of the year.

Also, two weeks off per year? I can't remember the last job I had that only gave two weeks off.

99 Light Pewter Metallic FRC Corvette,TSP 5.3 heads, TSP 229/231 .623/.617 110.5 cam, FAST 92/NW 92 TB, LGMotorsports Longtubes, Corsa Pace Car cat back, Vararam and LS7 clutch.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Time Served

Whatever
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Fast Fox you have a PM

Check your messages Fast Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlownSS View Post
My wife only gets about 6 weeks of the summer off. She ends after the kids, starts before the kids and is called in early to start preparing for the new year. She is a middle school counselor so it is a little different, but she is still lumped in with the teachers.
Ok, so then:

Only job in existence that has a month and a half paid vacation time every year. And every job I have ever worked, you get 1 week off paid vacation, and some sick days. (after you have been there for a year of course. )

Quote:

Quote:
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Time Served

You're right. Being a teacher is the best job in the world. That's why there is a waiting list just to get on. I want to say Texas state minimum is $27k/yr. Awesome pay for a 4 year degree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement