FAREED ZAKARIA: Itís clear we overreacted to 9/11. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

FAREED ZAKARIA: Itís clear we overreacted to 9/11.

THIS GUYS TERRORIST SYMPATHIZING IS GETTING MORE OVERT BY THE DAY...

He's already been defending hezbollah by saying they aren't terrorists and don't want to kill Jews... ]

Not surprisingly he's an anchor on CNN, a Columnist for Newsweek, and just got a gig with the New York Times.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/04/z....html?from=rss

Nine years after 9/11, can anyone doubt that Al Qaeda is simply not that deadly a threat? Since that gruesome day in 2001, once governments everywhere began serious countermeasures, Osama bin Laden’s terror network has been unable to launch a single major attack on high-value targets in the United States and Europe. While it has inspired a few much smaller attacks by local jihadis, it has been unable to execute a single one itself. Today, Al Qaeda’s best hope is to find a troubled young man who has been radicalized over the Internet, and teach him to stuff his underwear with explosives.

I do not minimize Al Qaeda’s intentions, which are barbaric. I question its capabilities. In every recent conflict, the United States has been right about the evil intentions of its adversaries but massively exaggerated their strength. In the 1980s, we thought the Soviet Union was expanding its power and influence when it was on the verge of economic and political bankruptcy. In the 1990s, we were certain that Saddam Hussein had a nuclear arsenal. In fact, his factories could barely make soap.

The error this time is more damaging. September 11 was a shock to the American psyche and the American system. As a result, we overreacted. In a crucially important Washington Post reporting project, “Top Secret America,” Dana Priest and William Arkin spent two years gathering information on how 9/11 has really changed America.

September 11 Anniversary Package
■Inside Al Qaeda
■Why Osama Bin Laden Still Matters
■A Eureka Moment in the Middle of a Nightmare
■Photos: 9/11 Memorial Stalled in Bureaucracy
■9/11's Steel Beams Become Memorial Icons
Here are some of the highlights. Since September 11, 2001, the U.S. government has created or reconfigured at least 263 organizations to tackle some aspect of the war on terror. The amount of money spent on intelligence has risen by 250 percent, to $75 billion (and that’s the public number, which is a gross underestimate). That’s more than the rest of the world spends put together. Thirty-three new building complexes have been built for intelligence bureaucracies alone, occupying 17 million square feet—the equivalent of 22 U.S. Capitols or three Pentagons. Five miles southeast of the White House, the largest government site in 50 years is being built—at a cost of $3.4 billion—to house the largest bureaucracy after the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs: the Department of Homeland Security, which has a workforce of 230,000 people.

This new system produces 50,000 reports a year—136 a day!—which of course means few ever get read. Those senior officials who have read them describe most as banal; one tells me, “Many could be produced in an hour using Google.” Fifty-one separate bureaucracies operating in 15 states track the flow of money to and from terrorist organizations, with little information-sharing.

Some 30,000 people are now employed exclusively to listen in on phone conversations and other communications in the United States. And yet no one in Army intelligence noticed that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan had been making a series of strange threats at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he trained. The father of the Nigerian “Christmas bomber” reported his son’s radicalism to the U.S. Embassy. But that message never made its way to the right people in this vast security apparatus. The plot was foiled only by the bomber’s own incompetence and some alert passengers.

Such mistakes might be excusable. But the rise of this national-security state has entailed a vast expansion in the government’s powers that now touches every aspect of American life, even when seemingly unrelated to terrorism. The most chilling aspect of Dave Eggers’s heartbreaking book, Zeitoun, is that the federal government’s fastest and most efficient response to Hurricane Katrina was the creation of a GuantŠnamo-like prison facility (in days!) in which 1,200 American citizens were summarily detained and denied any of their constitutional rights for months, a suspension of habeas corpus that reads like something out of a Kafka novel.

In the past, the U.S. government has built up for wars, assumed emergency authority, and sometimes abused that power, yet always demobilized after the war. But this is a war without end. When do we declare victory? When do the emergency powers cease?

Conservatives are worried about the growing power of the state. Surely this usurpation is more worrisome than a few federal stimulus programs. When James Madison pondered this issue, he came to a simple conclusion: “Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germs of every other … In war, too, the discretionary power of the executive is extended?.?.?.?and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people.

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual war,” Madison concluded.

Last edited by sc281_99-0135; 09-05-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Not surprisingly he's an anchor on CNN, a Columnist for Newsweek, and just got a gig with the New York Times.
All three are liberal rags/TV entertainment......no surprises here.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Lifer

I can see his point, we spent hundreds of billions of dollars, and americans have been asked to give up more of their rights then any other time in our history. could we have spent less money, or taken fewer rights away and ended up just as safe as we are today?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I don't stand entirely in opposition to what he said. I'm not sure that overreaction is the appropriate term; a series of reactions, each a bit more misguided than the first, seems to fit better to me.

His most valid point, to me, involves the lack of a date of cessation for the hideous buildup of power that we've seen and are continuing to see. I don't see how it's going to stop.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I find this article a bit less controversial than the OP makes it out to be.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I find this article a bit less controversial than the OP makes it out to be.
I actually agree with about 3/4 of what this article says.

It's articles like these (Bold print and embedded video) that make him look like a closet Terrorist

Fareed Zakaria Paints Hezbollah as More ‘Tolerant’ Than Ground Zero Mosque Protesters

http://pajamasmedia.com/ronradosh/20...eds-a-new-gps/

Fareed Zakaria spoke last Sunday on CNN — on his weekly program Fareed Zakaria GPS — with his usual haughty display of what he considers to be the great wisdom he regularly presents to his audience. The would-be secretary of State told his viewers this:

And now for the “Last Look.” With all the talk about places of worship and where they do and don’t belong, I wanted you to see this. This is the Magen Abraham synagogue. It’s not in Miami. It’s not in Tel Aviv. It’s in Beirut. That’s right, Beirut, Lebanon.

The synagogue is just now emerging from a painstaking restoration project. When the repairs began over a year ago, the temple was literally a shell of its former self. So why did this nation, often teetering on the brink of religious hostilities and hostilities with Israel, restore a Jewish house of worship? To show that Lebanon is an open and tolerant country.

And indeed, the project is said to have found support in many parts of the community, not just from the few remaining Jews there, but also Christians and Muslims and Hezbollah. Yes, Hezbollah — the one that the United States has designated a foreign terrorist organization.

Hezbollah’s view on the renovation goes like this. “We respect divine religions, including the Jewish religion. The problem is with Israel’s occupation of Arab lands … not with the Jews.” Food for thought. Thanks to all of you for being part of my program this week. I will see you next week. Stay tuned for “Reliable Sources.”

If you insist on seeing his delivery, you can watch it here.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes....synagogue.cnn
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep">

This reminds me of nothing less than the famous phony documentary the Nazis made about Theresienstadt as they were creating this showplace concentration camp to try to fool the world, to show everyone how good they were to those Jews they were actually sending to the death camps.

As the Jewish site linked above explains:

Hitler, the world was to be told, had built a city for the Jews, to protect them from the vagaries and stresses of the war. A film was made to show this mythic, idyllic city to which his henchmen were taking the Jews from the Czech Lands and eight other countries. Notable musicians, writers, artists, and leaders were sent there for “safer” keeping than was to be afforded elsewhere in Hitler’s quest to stave off any uprisings or objections around the so-called civilized world. This ruse worked for a very long time, to the great detriment of the nearly two hundred thousand men, women and children who passed through its gates as a way station to the east and probable death.

Now, in our own time — as the organization CAMERA accurately reveals — Zakaria’s claim that “Hezbollah respects the Jews and is merely opposed to Israel’s occupation of Arab lands” dramatically misinformed viewers about the radical and anti-Semitic nature of the Lebanese terror group.

Hezbollah has repeatedly made clear not only its opposition to Israel’s very existence, but also its contempt for Jews.

As Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah’s chief, said on Al Quds International Day last year:

[Al Quds Day] is the day of all Palestine from sea to river. It is the day of the Palestinian and Arab detainees remaining in the occupation prisons. It is the day of the Palestinian refugees displaced whether inside Palestine or abroad. Al Quds day is the day of patient, resistance, besieged Gaza. Al Quds day is the day of Palestinian resistance of all factions and movements. It is the day of the Lebanese, Arab and Islamic resistance. It is the day of every resistant, withstander, survivor, and fighter in the face of the Zionist scheme in our region. Al Quds day is the day of the Ummah, a reminder to the Ummah of its historical and religious responsibilities in parallel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I don't disagree with your assessment of Zakaria and his stance on Hezbollah. But like I've said before, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Zakaria is dead on right on many of his points from the main article in question. We did overreact.

Hindsight being what it is, I'm not hugely critical of the Bush administration but we really do need to rethink the so called war on terror. The DoHS should, for the most part, be shut down. We probably shouldn't have invaded Iraq and after we did there were a lot of things that the leadership got wrong. I think GW gave Rummy too much authority and it bit him in the ass. We "were" doing things right in Afghanistan but after the Surge in Iraq it went to the back burner and now it is out of hand. Of course we also have a President now that is incapable of getting the situation back under control.

Oh well, I know we could have another long debate on this but I don't want to get off track...

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Haha, true. I am very much against this Nation Building crap. They've had thousands of years to get their shit straight. The fact that they haven't is proof that they don't want to.

We should have "Bombed them back to the Stone Age" -GWB and stopped only to fuel up for the return trip. Leaving only the promise to inflict the same devastation on any Country who tries it again or allows anyone or any group to try it again.

Cheap, effective, and all of a sudden.... holy hell.... peace in the middle east!!

Last edited by sc281_99-0135; 09-05-2010 at 07:51 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Yes, Death! Death all around! I've said it for years. So have a lot of other people. But they'll never do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement