Aviation groups band together to fight leaded fuel ban - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Aviation groups band together to fight leaded fuel ban

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=12512271

by Ted Land
Wednesday, May 19, 2010

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A group of Alaska pilots are banding together to take on the federal government.

They say a new rule on what type of gas they can use would put many of them out of business.

Many cargo airlines in the state use what's called AvGas, which is a fuel used by older, propeller-driven planes.

The EPA says it's a problem because AvGas contains lead.

On a busy Wednesday at Everts Air Cargo in Anchorage a World War II-era C-46 is headed for Aniak, fully loaded with goods.

The Everts fleet is like an aviation museum of history, but the company says no other aircraft -- not jets or more modern turbo props -- can handle the gravel runways of rural Alaska.

"The majority of villages in Alaska are serviced by piston engine aircraft, the radial engine aircraft," said Susan Hoshaw with Everts.

Those aircraft are dependent on AvGas, which is now under the scrutiny of the federal government.

The Environmental Protection Agency is in the initial stages of creating a rule that would outlaw the fuel.

The agency and environmental groups supporting the ban say lead emissions are harmful and have been shown to cause cancer.

Cars have been using unleaded gas for years, but airplanes are a different story.

"To our knowledge and from our experience, those aircraft will not be able to operate with an unleaded fuel. There's nothing available out there that we are aware of," said Paul Mills with Aero Recip Alaska, a piston engine overhaul shop.

The Alaska Air Carriers Association has formed an AvGas work group.

Pilots, mechanics and other stakeholders are meeting to lay out a plan of attack, and Alaska's Congressional delegation -- speaking at a lunch earlier this week -- says it's aware of the issue and may soon take legislative action.

"We don't have roads. We can't deliver; we can't take medical people out by road or highway. We have to do it by air," Rep. Don Young said at the lunch.

"Are we being alarmist? Are we overreacting? I don't know that we are," Mills said.

Everts says planes like these could easily fly for another 25 years, but the federal government might have the final say.

The groups opposed to this potential ban on AvGas are asking the EPA to extend a 60-day comment period so they can gather their thoughts and present a reasonable argument.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM
duh...duh....duh

Seems a bit drastic and seems the pilots/owners were a bit blind sided or something.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Sorry but lead in the gas? I'd tell them they better start saving up for an engine swap, and give them some time to make the adjustment, but set a date that the law goes into effect. There is a reason we ditched leaded gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Sorry but lead in the gas? I'd tell them they better start saving up for an engine swap, and give them some time to make the adjustment, but set a date that the law goes into effect. There is a reason we ditched leaded gas...
Same reason we have 10% ethanol?
FAA stifles any technology.
If an effective alternative existed it would be in use.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:22 PM
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!

Location: listening to the box of excuses why fourteen3s million dollar car wont run a number...
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
same reason we have 10% ethanol?
Faa stifles any technology.
If an effective alternative existed it would be in use.
bingo

resident heater core/ring&pinion installer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
From wiki

Avgas has a lower and more uniform vapor pressure than automotive gasoline, which keeps it in the liquid state at high-altitude, preventing vapor lock.

A larger problem stems from the wider range of allowable vapor pressures found in automotive gasoline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement