Williamson County to stop footing health care bills of ID-less indigent people - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Thumbs up Williamson County to stop footing health care bills of ID-less indigent people

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ls-678306.html

Quote:
Williamson County commissioners have decided to stop paying health care costs for indigent adults and children who don't have valid Social Security cards.

County Judge Dan A. Gattis said last week that he wanted to ensure that there was enough money for the residents of Williamson County who qualified for indigent care to remain covered. In the first five months of the current fiscal year, 265 people who didn't have Social Security cards received county-paid health care out of a total of 1,153 indigent patients , said Bride Roberts , the coordinator for Williamson County's indigent health care system.

The decision — which came in a unanimous vote on April 27 — was not based on race, Gattis said.

"We are running out of money," he said.

The county is required by the state to pay up to 8 percent of its general tax revenue annually for indigent health care, which is $7.1 million this fiscal year, Roberts said.

Williamson County has spent the $4 million it budgeted for indigent health care costs this year — equal to about 4.5 percent of general tax revenue — during the first six months of the current fiscal year, which started in October, Roberts said, adding that county commissioners appropriated more than $3 million more at their April 27 meeting.

The county's indigent health care expenses have risen from $1 million in fiscal year 2000 to $5.4 million in fiscal year 2009, according to county records. The expense is projected to reach $9.4 million in the current fiscal year, Roberts said, which would equal 10.5 percent of the general tax revenue budget.

Roberts said there were several reasons for the increased expense, including a large number of "very sick" people and new hospitals in the area identifying more people who may qualify for the program.

Williamson County residents without legal Social Security cards can still get care at four clinics in Georgetown, 10 clinics in Round Rock and one in Granger, all operated by Lone Star Circle of Care, a nonprofit community health organization, said Rebekah Haynes, the group's communications director.

Roberts said patients without valid Social Security cards accounted for 12 percent of the $3.7 million spent under the program in the first five months of the fiscal year. During fiscal year 2009, 1,505 people were covered, and 331 of those didn't have valid Social Security cards , she said.

The county estimated that it can save $1 million a year by denying coverage to people without legal Social Security cards, Roberts said.

Medicaid doesn't cover health care costs for adults and children without legal Social Security cards. Texas law doesn't address whether counties can exclude people without legal Social Security cards, said Anne Dunkelberg, the associate director of the Center for Public Policy Priorities in Austin.

"Virtually all counties do include undocumented residents in their county indigent health care programs," said Dunkelberg, who called the county's decision "a bad idea."

"Making sure you are providing good access to prenatal care is extremely important because all babies are U.S. citizens," she said.

Steve Mason, a member of the Immigration Reform Coalition of Texas, said he supported the commissioners' decision. "I think people in this country illegally shouldn't get any services," he said.

The county's indigent health care program covers up to $30,000 per year in costs for doctors, hospitals, clinics, lab work, prescriptions and diagnostic testing for people with incomes equal to 21 percent or less of the federal poverty level, which works out to a monthly income of $190 or less for a single person, Roberts said.

Before commissioners passed the April 27 change in coverage, applicants were asked if they were legal residents when they filled out the forms for the programs, Roberts said. Now, Social Security cards must be presented and will be verified through an online broker.

Jose Medina, a media coordinator for the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, said the organization was concerned about how the county was going to verify Social Security information.

"These data brokers are not always reliable," he said. "We are concerned that in adding the verification, the program is cutting off funding to indigent individuals who are the most vulnerable and the people who need it the most."

Williamson County Commissioner Cynthia Long also said race didn't play a role in the decision, and she said low-income people without legal Social Security cards will be able to get medical help through local emergency rooms.
Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Lifer

Good for them! 1 down, 253 more counties to go!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 AM
PAN

What's that? No SS card or green card? Please step into this room and wait as the doctor (border patrol officer) will be right in...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Lifer

what if its a homeless veteran who no longer has a ss card?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
What if it's a mexican drug smuggler that stole the identity of a homeless veteran that has no ss card?

See what I did there? All you do is post what if scenarios when you have no legitimate argument.

If their Identity cannot be verified through some means, then they get the boot. A veteran or legal citizen can always be identified. (memorized info, fingerprints, etc.)

If your bleeding heart doesn't like it, get a medical degree and practice free medicine to your hearts content.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Lifer

"Virtually all counties do include undocumented residents in their county indigent health care programs," said Dunkelberg, who called the county's decision "a bad idea."

"Making sure you are providing good access to prenatal care is extremely important because all babies are U.S. citizens," she said.

That's the fucking problem you dumb cunt. That's all these motherfuckers are wanting is a damn anchor baby.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
What if it's a mexican drug smuggler that stole the identity of a homeless veteran that has no ss card?

See what I did there? All you do is post what if scenarios when you have no legitimate argument.

If their Identity cannot be verified through some means, then they get the boot. A veteran or legal citizen can always be identified. (memorized info, fingerprints, etc.)

If your bleeding heart doesn't like it, get a medical degree and practice free medicine to your hearts content.
No doubt. What person doesn't know their own SSN by now, anyway?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Worship me

Quote:
He should go get a card if he wants free care. It's not rocket science.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
He should go get a card if he wants free care. It's not rocket science.
Yeah, I'm all for Veterans being treated properly but they still have their own responsibilities if they want health care.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
as soon as the babies have a social securty card they are covered. If they want to start giving social security cards to fetuses that will open up the wrong can of worms.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Lifer

so if an american is homeless, has no money, no identification of any kind, that person can just wonder into a social security office and get a free social security card? lets not forget a large percentage of homeless people are mentally ill.

thats just one situation.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I got your Jihad!!

Quote:
He still should have a ssn that can be verified.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Worship me

Quote:
so if an american is homeless, has no money, no identification of any kind, that person can just wonder into a social security office and get a free social security card? lets not forget a large percentage of homeless people are mentally ill.

thats just one situation.
Who gives a fuck?

Seriously, you want to create a system based on outlandish scenarios? At some point you have to say that the homeless guy needs to take some responsibility for himself since he isn't a baby. I know that is a hard concept to understand for some people.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
You see a problem, when there is no problem. The homeless veteran will have no trouble at all obtaining his SS card. CAUSE HE'S A FUCKING AMERICAN CITIZEN. I can flush my SS card right now, and stroll up into my local SS office and they will hand me a new card. What is it about that scenario that you can't understand?

Quote:
so if an american is homeless, has no money, no identification of any kind, that person can just wonder into a social security office and get a free social security card? lets not forget a large percentage of homeless people are mentally ill. thats just one situation.
You don't have a lick of common sense at all, do you? First of all, see my first quote in this post. Second of all, if the guy is fucking white, or black, and speaks fucking english, then it's a pretty safe bet that he's a damn american citizen. Your brain is there for thinking, not being an imbecile. Course you're probly the typical liberal that has used so many drugs that his brain is no longer even capable of such rational thought. But let me guess: Legalize 'em, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
How about he gets his ass to the VA?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
How about he gets his ass to the VA?
get all that logic and sensibility out of here, there is not room any longer...

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Oh there's room. You just have to beat down a few retards to get to it.

But as for that county, I agree its a big win. But I don't understand how they can just bypass a federal law like that. Doesn't the law say something like "Thou shalt give completely free healthcare as long as its an emergency"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Bullet Sponge

Wow, I was homeless for 6 months, living in a pup tent in a pasture WITH a mental illness and I still remembered MY SSN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement