Why can't they call it Terrorism? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Why can't they call it Terrorism?

I wish I knew what the Obama administration defines as terrorism? It seems like the NYC incident wouldn't require a lot of evidence to classify it as such.

Obama administration officials previously stopped short of declaring the incident terrorism.

New York Gov. David Paterson immediately called the attempted attack an "act of terrorism" after police were alerted to the bomb and cleared out Times Square Saturday night. But Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday said it was too early to officially designate the incident as terrorism.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, in several interviews since Sunday, has by turns described the incident as a potential or likely terrorist act, though she said investigators need to find out more about the origin of the plot.

"It certainly is something that I would not rule out," she told Fox News on Monday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...uare-car-bomb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Lifer

well they do not know who did it or why. when I first heard about it I thought it was a failed attempt at terror. but of course if it was islamic extremists there would have been a suicide involved. also listening to NPR this morning someone suggested that usually terrorists do not do a very good job of covering up their steps because they want the publicity.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Worship me

Keep in mind that most terrorist groups are only going to want their name associated with successful attacks.

In my opinion, from what I have read this is not a terrorist group. The bomb was made with gunpowder, that is about as simple as you can get. According to this Fox news article it used propane and gasoline though so maybe my opinion is about to change.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by AL P; 05-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Terrorist attack = national threat advisory to red. Not something the government wants to do if they don't have to.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Canada is welcome here.

I don't even know why they are calling it a "failed" bombing attempt. A failed attempt would be where they tried to do it, but the bomb didn't go off due to their error. To me it seems more like a thwarted bomb attempt, since they didn't ever actually get to assemble it and try to make it go off. They always make things so much more dramatic than reality. The reality is, yeah, it would have sucked if he had succeeded. But he didn't make it that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Lifer

cnn just reported that the white house is now calling it a terrorist attack

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
well they do not know who did it or why. when I first heard about it I thought it was a failed attempt at terror. but of course if it was islamic extremists there would have been a suicide involved. also listening to NPR this morning someone suggested that usually terrorists do not do a very good job of covering up their steps because they want the publicity.
I think it's irrelevent who did it and why. It's terrorism to park a car in times square and detonate an explosive that would have indisciminately killed and maimed people.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Canada is welcome here.

True. He could have realized his own inability, and said "Well, shit. Actually terrorizing them is just as good. So I'll make it look like there is no telling when they will get bombed." That kind of thing works just as good to scare people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

FBI has the suspect in custody.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
FBI has the suspect in custody.
The douchebag has confessed. Time to for him to lose his anal virginity.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6410CK20100504

Props to the FBI and NYPD.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Worship me

Another peace loving muslim who decided he was going to build a car bomb.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

If you feel safe knowing that Barack Obama, Janet Napolitano and Eric Holder have your back, raise your hand!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Shahzad, who became a U.S. citizen last year, recently visited Pakistan for about five months, returning to the United States in February, the source said.
No fucking surprise there.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Sign I saw on the ground:

I love the posts in the bottom of that link.

How did I miss Mayor Bloomberg saying that it was a Tea Partier upset with Obamacare? Missed it by a mile.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement