Deepwater Horizon Spill - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Deepwater Horizon Spill

Anyone think this will compare to the exxon valdez spill? Not easy to cap off a leak 5000 feet deep in the ocean... atleast its only 210,000 gallons a day! This is gonna cost BP a bunch of $$$$$

98 Brokra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ View Post
Anyone think this will compare to the exxon valdez spill? Not easy to cap off a leak 5000 feet deep in the ocean... atleast its only 210,000 gallons a day! This is gonna cost BP a bunch of $$$$$
Now that the oil is washing up on the louisiana shore, it's gonna turn into a major big deal. They had 9 days to work on containing the spill and from what i've read the response has been too little, too late. For example, they are talking about constructing a "hood" of sorts that they can lower over the spewing pipe and start sucking the oil up. Original estimate is that it would take 4 days to construct. It should have already been constructed and sitting around somewhere ready to deploy.

Also, i have to wonder about the timing of the explosion. Obama finally OKs some exploration in the gulf, and almost immediately we have the explosion and an environmental disaster. This, of course, kills any chance of future drilling for oil. Fishy, fishy, fishy timing. But money talks, and I would not put sabotage out of the question.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
How you doin'

that's a lot of money pumping out of that leak!

210,000 / 42 = 5,000 barrels of oil per day

5,000 x $85.00 = $425,000/day

so, they're losing $425,000 per day plus the amount that it's going to cost them to clean it up and fines...that's going to be a pretty big hit!

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Lifer

and the President just stopped off shore drilling, plus the summer time is coming = higher gas prices. I saw 3.08 per gallon for 93 in mckinney

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS ~ FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.
IN GOD WE TRUST
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Lifer

Someone should just pay Al Gore to wave his magic green wand over it.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TINFOIL HAT View Post
Someone should just pay Al Gore to wave his magic green wand over it.
he cant, he is busy moving into his new 10 million dollar mansion in SoCal

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Lifer

I cant stand how all these Enviro people will be up in arms about this and all over getting drilling to stop. I realize it was a great tragedy, especially to those involved. When you are dealing with this shit you have to realize the major risks involved. You are working with HIGH HIGH MASSIVE pressures and temperatures. Shit is going to happen. That being said, I think there were some equipment problems and bad methods involved here. This probably could have been avoided and not as bad if those were on par. It just pisses me off that these Green freaks have all the fuel in the world now, and will just rely on the media for info. Unless you've been in the industry no one knows how much Risk, Capital, and Hard work is involved to extract this fuel that the whole world takes for granted. From fuels to man made products, to powering cities. I've been in the cellars under these rigs putting these wellheads on, I know how hard these guys work. Take everything you hear from the media with a grain of salt. They know jack shit. [/RANT OFF]

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1367.htm

It's from a whacko site but it's plausible. Cutting off our oil wells will hurt us more than knocking down the world trade buildings.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1367.htm

It's from a whacko site but it's plausible. Cutting off our oil wells will hurt us more than knocking down the world trade buildings.
Your sn has never been more relevant to a thread

Working on my project Stang
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
Your sn has never been more relevant to a thread
Defending the family name!

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
PAN

I can't wait to see how high gas and fuel is fixing to go!
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

And we haven't even seen a hurricane yet. $4 is very likely by the end of May.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
to the fucking moon! diesel is getting way high and its not even summer yet. grocery getter 4x4 diesel= total fail in a few months

98 Brokra

Last edited by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~; 05-02-2010 at 10:43 PM.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Yea, they'll use it as an excuse to push beyond $90 a barrel. Even though demand is still way down and there is so much oil that they are running out of places to keep it.

Never mind that this well isn't a production well to begin with. Just an exploritory one.

All that said, I hope BP gets kicked in the balls over this. It seems to me that their safety record has been in the shitter lately.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:06 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Yea, they'll use it as an excuse to push beyond $90 a barrel. Even though demand is still way down and there is so much oil that they are running out of places to keep it.

Never mind that this well isn't a production well to begin with. Just an exploritory one.

All that said, I hope BP gets kicked in the balls over this. It seems to me that their safety record has been in the shitter lately.
I'm in Houston at the moment... I'm at the Offshore Technology Conference working, rubbing elbows, perusing, etc. I can tell you this: I've already heard some interesting stuff, some predictions, some stories and I can tell you that BP completely pulled out of the show, and this us one of the largest O&G tradeshows in the world. They obviously aren't going anywhere as a company but this could change the way thr industry operates for a bit.

I might type some more tomorrow after day 1; typing on my phone sucks. I also have some other info on the accident/well itself that might be fun to read for those of you in other industries.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
This is gonna cost BP a bunch of $$$$$
Good. Painful lessons are the only way that big companies ever learn anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Bond Company Stooge

BP is a major money contributor to middle east terrorists. Paying off questionable organizations in order to build pipelines through their territories. Just fanning the conspiricy flames.

On a personal note I hope this has a profound effect on the American people to continue the search for alternative fuels, and limit the destruction of our natural planet (what's left of it). I just hope, in my lifetime, fossil fuel burning internal combustion engines are relegated to the hotrodders garage, and obsolete in the daily commute. Ah well one can hope.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Nissan is coming out with an all electric car this year. It's range is only 100 miles, but everything else is all there. For the millions living is big cities, something this would be perfect. Hell I don't live in a big city and I could probly make it work for most of my driving.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Nissan is coming out with an all electric car this year. It's range is only 100 miles, but everything else is all there. For the millions living is big cities, something this would be perfect. Hell I don't live in a big city and I could probly make it work for most of my driving.
Lots of higher end GM dealers are picking up the Fisker line and of course the Volt will be here at Chevrolet stores next year. Tesla also is going public soon and already has cars in production.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
LUCIFER

The Shell I go to has went from $3.08 to $3.11 today since Friday

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Sign I saw on the ground:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang87 View Post
and the President just stopped off shore drilling, plus the summer time is coming = higher gas prices. I saw 3.08 per gallon for 93 in mckinney
just wait, it's coming
Quote:
just wait, it's coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
And we haven't even seen a hurricane yet. $4 is very likely by the end of May.
just wait, it's coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
While you would think that either one of those bits of information would be peppered in to the story to calm anyone looking down the road & speculating about the effect, it doesn't sell news. Panic sells. Tragedy sells.

One day, someone with some pull & power will put the brakes on the speculator's ability to run up the price on ginned up demand, shell gaming the public, and causing untold ripple effect to the little guy.

Can we get more oversight without "biggering" government?

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Lifer

BP has some caps being fabricated right now and should be on the road later today..

Just an FYI.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Lifer

BP warned of possible problem 10 years ago. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7114087.ece

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Lifer

And it has started, they prob. don't even make gas out of this type of crude.

Analysts had predicted 'modest' hikes heading into summer. That was before we knew how bad the Gulf oil spill was.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifer

Latest info I have received.

Quote:
FACT SHEET: SUBSEA OIL RECOVERY SYSTEM

The Subsea Oil Recovery System is a large structure that can be placed over the largest leak source in the Transocean Deepwater Horizon Rig. The system is designed to collect hydrocarbons from the well and pump them to a tanker at the surface, where they will be stored and safely shipped ashore. Weather permitting, deployment of the system is planned within the next six to eight days.
How it works
• The system is made up of a 125-ton, 14’ x 24’ x 40’ structure that will be set on top of the largest leak source. This leak is located at the end of the riser, about 600 feet from the wellhead.

• Equipment at the top of the system is connected to a 5,000 foot riser that will convey the hydrocarbons to the surface ship, the Deepwater Enterprise.

• Once in place, oil will flow up into the containment system’s dome to the surface ship.

• Once on the surface ship, the hydrocarbons will be processed and oil will be separated from water and gas. The oil will then be temporarily stored before being offloaded and shipped to a designated oil terminal onshore.

• The Deepwater Enterprise is capable of processing 15,000 barrels of oil per day and storing 139,000 barrels.

• A support barge will also be deployed with a capacity to store 137,000 barrels of oil.

• This system could collect as much as 85% of oil rising from the seafloor.
How it was developed
• This is the first time this system will be used at this water depth.

• To develop the system, BP quickly located existing structures that had previously been used as coffer dams in shallow water recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

• After Katrina, these structures were lowered over damaged wellheads to allow divers to repair wellheads.

• BP engineers have worked closely with the firm Wild Well Controls, Inc. to convert these structures for use in deep waters.

What’s next
• This system is being fabricated in Louisiana and will be transported to the Deepwater Enterprise.

• Once on site, the system will be lowered to the seabed.

• ROVs will monitor the installation and will complete connections to the riser (tubing).

• Because of the weight of the structure and the muddy conditions at the sea bottom, “mud flaps” have been added to the sides of the structure. These flaps enable the structure to settle into the sea bottom and complete the enclosure.
Illustrations follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drillpiperisersystem.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	98050   Click image for larger version

Name:	drillpiperisersystem02.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	98051  

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Lifer

Damn I wish I could go to the OTC this year!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Lifer

I know the Huffington post sucks, but check out this article. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-b..._b_558774.html

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Interested to see how this CAP deal works on a major oil spill 1 mile below sea level. The monday morning qb's will be all out trying to bank on this one. Every cocksucker lawyer who drives a hummer will be looking for some $$$$. Either way its a risk your drilling into the earth for oil. The pressures are rediculous and unless you were there when it blew up your nothing but a speculator. Shit happens and just because you push a pen real good doesnt mean you know jack shit about oil rig safety or what goes on out there

98 Brokra
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Damn I wish I could go to the OTC this year!

And here's my baby on display.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Goldman sank it that explains it! Fucking banksters

98 Brokra
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Goldman sank it that explains it! Fucking banksters
sure looks suspicious!

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFurst View Post
sure looks suspicious!
Goldman is good peoples!! no corrupt shit going on there no sir

98 Brokra
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

survivors story

Quote:
http://www.drillingahead.com/video/t...age=1#comments
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 01:59 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

I'm working from my phone at OTC this week so i can't see that vid (?), which I'm pretty sure is the same thing a buddy at Baker Hughes sent me earlier today. Do you have a transcript? I'm guessing he said that the well was basically completed, cased and cemented and they were displacing the riser to seawater when they realized there was a bubble in there, they took a big kick, threw all the mud out and had gas release?

FWIW, I've heard more than one industry guess over the last couple days and none of them are too confidence inspiring. The "umbrella" idea might work, might not... The sidetrack well idea would have to hit a 30" or so target with directional technology accurate to 30" or so... It goes on.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsnake93 View Post
BP is a major money contributor to middle east terrorists. Paying off questionable organizations in order to build pipelines through their territories. Just fanning the conspiricy flames.

On a personal note I hope this has a profound effect on the American people to continue the search for alternative fuels, and limit the destruction of our natural planet (what's left of it). I just hope, in my lifetime, fossil fuel burning internal combustion engines are relegated to the hotrodders garage, and obsolete in the daily commute. Ah well one can hope.
Destruction? We are insignificant in the grand scale of the history of this rock we're on.

I find it more than curious that right after the Anointed One opens up off shore drilling, a disaster happens that brings an immediate shutdown to new drilling.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 AM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

shit happens I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Destruction? We are insignificant in the grand scale of the history of this rock we're on.

I find it more than curious that right after the Anointed One opens up off shore drilling, a disaster happens that brings an immediate shutdown to new drilling.
The link I posted is an audio. it basically states what you said, all the mud blew out. The bop was already tested and reopened. He tells about where the 11 missing were located and the evac.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 PM
PAN

I was talking with my buddy earlier today that was laid off from those guys about a month ago about this. He was telling me that the pipe has 6" thick walls and at that depth it basically flexes like spaghetti. Explained how the platforms are anchored, how everything works, etc.

He said that the issue on this is that they think they got some concrete in the valve during the pour and that the valve will not close. Supposedly the valve has around five levels and at least one is jacked.

Also said that when it blew there was water in the piping and that just the pressure welling from that deep under blew the initial 240' into the air. Pretty badass.

FWIW.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:

Also said that when it blew there was water in the piping and that just the pressure welling from that deep under blew the initial 240' into the air. Pretty badass.

FWIW.
Not if you're on the rig. If you are, replace the word 'badass' with the word 'death'.

Quote:

Quote:
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

For anyone interested in the [obviously speculative, at this point] technical details, here's an ongoing discussion with a bunch of very knowledgable people.

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/in...ad=4837&page=1

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
So did what they are saying is they were moving and the cap came off? I am confused.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Lifer

BP=Beached Porpoises

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
So did what they are saying is they were moving and the cap came off? I am confused.
from what i get basically gas came up through the line settled on the deck something as small as static electricity ignited the gas and boom bitch.

98 Brokra
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
too many projects!

Quote:
from what i get basically gas came up through the line settled on the deck something as small as static electricity ignited the gas and boom bitch.

Ah that makes sense.

PHUKET
A soldier dies but once.
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX21 View Post

Reading that question, all fifteen words that you were tasked with placing in an itelligible order, confused me.

Damn. Must be getting confused in my old age...
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM
too many projects!

Quote:
Reading that question, all fifteen words that you were tasked with placing in an itelligible order, confused me.

Damn. Must be getting confused in my old age...

Ha I just read what I wrote... epic fail!

PHUKET
A soldier dies but once.
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang87 View Post
Isn't there some formula or something out there that says, if gas prices go back up to $4 a gallon, then we are fucked and the economy will take it in the ass again?

Quote:

Quote:
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Hydrates Freezing dome opening

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rep...ill-2010-05-08

98 Brokra
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Isn't there some formula or something out there that says, if gas prices go back up to $4 a gallon, then we are fucked and the economy will take it in the ass again?
But you notice this time instead of the quick run up to $4/gallon gas, they are doing it a lot slower. That way, they can get the price up and people will not be so quick to complain. I look for gas to eventually settle in the $3.60-$3.80 range for quite a while, then up it will go again as soon as the speculators feel the market will take it.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Sucks. But they're only hurting themselves in the end. This only drives more an more people (and companies) to invent ways around oil. There are a number of electric cars brewing right now, and the total cost to go around 250 miles is about $2.30. All things come to an end, oil will be no different.

Quote:

Quote:
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Looks like a Halliburton cement job that wasn't quite up to par, followed by BP ignoring test data and proceeding to displace the riser without completely securing the well. They lost hydrostatic pressure... And it all came up.*

I've also read other places that this was an exploratory well in the beginning and at some point in the middle they changed the strategy and decided to make it a "keeper." This made the while job a bit of a mess logistically.*

Quote:
Deepwater Horizon Well Failed Key Test

POLITICSMAY 12, 2010, 3:41 P.M. ET
Deepwater Horizon Well Failed Key Test

POLITICSMAY 12, 2010, 3:41 P.M. ET
Deepwater Horizon Well Failed Key Tes
WASHINGTON—House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman said Wednesday that*BP*PLC officials told House investigators that the Deepwater Horizon well did not pass a key pressure test the morning of the April 20 explosion.

Mr. Waxman, a California Democrat, said that James Dupree, BP's senior vice president for the Gulf of Mexico, told House investigators that the test was "not satisfactory" and "inconclusive."

The investigation also found that "the emergency controls on the blowout preventer may have failed." One finding was that a battery meant to activate a "deadman switch" when all other steps had failed was itself dead at the time of the disaster.The tests indicated uneven buildups of pressure in different lengths of the pipe. The results, Mr. Dupree told investigators, signaled a potential influx of gas into the wellbore. It is now thought that a sudden surge of gas into the wellbore caused the well to blow.

Rep. Bart Stupak (D., Mich.) separately said that a preliminary House investigation has uncovered "four significant problems" with the blowout preventer. The preventer, he said, "apparently had a significant leak in a key hydraulic system."

The committee's investigation has found thatTransocean*Ltd. had made "extensive" modifications to the blowout preventer before the explosion. A key shear ram, which is meant to cut through and seal off the main pipe in the event of a blowout, was also found to be "not powerful enough to cut through joints in the drill pipe."

At the hearing, Mr. Waxman outlined a series of events leading up to the explosion. He said his committee has collected more than 100,000 pages of documents from the companies and agencies involved in the rig accident.

At 5 p.m. on April 20—less than five hours before the explosion—workers on the Transocean rig ran a critical test to determine if the well had been properly cemented, according to Mr. Waxman's statement. The pressure inside the well was lowered to see if any gas was leaking through the cement.

By this time, the cement had been hardening for 16½ hours. If all had gone well, the cement should have set and secured the well. But BP's Mr. Dupree had told congressional investigators that the test result was not satisfactory. It appeared the cement job had not sealed off the well and gas was leaking into it.

A second "negative pressure" test was run. It showed pressure was mounting in the well. Mr. Dupree said the result "could signal" that flammable natural gas was building up inside the well.

BP told congressional investigators on Tuesday that additional tests were run. At 8 p.m.—less than two hours before the explosion—BP officials decided the additional tests "justified ending the test and proceeding," said Mr. Waxman.

BP said that after this test, it began to remove heavy drilling mud in the pipe and replace it with seawater that was about 50% lighter. The purpose of the mud is to weigh down any fluids or gas trying to push upward.

BP told investigators that "following the test, hydrocarbons were unknowingly circulated to surface while displacing the riser with seawater." As gas flowed up the pipe, it got warmer and expanded, pushing drilling mud and seawater ahead of it, and then burst through the top of the pipe.

Republicans, longtime allies of the oil industry, began to waver in their support for offshore drilling. After being told that blowout preventers aren't designed for all disaster situations, Rep. Joe Barton (R., Texas) said that "I would think that your blowout preventer, your technology, your casing, should be designed to handle" a catastrophic release of pressure.

"If my assumption is wrong, then we have to reassess the entire OCS drilling program," Mr. Barton said. The Gulf of Mexico, a part of the nation's Outer Continental Shelf, accounts for 30% of U.S. domestic oil production.

Company executives, who had spent Tuesday dodging blame at Senate hearings, found new reasons to point fingers on Wednesday.

Halliburton's chief safety officer, Tim Probert, repeated assertions that the only way to fully test the quality of Halliburton's cement work would have been to conduct a final evaluation involving a "cement bonding log," which wasn't done.

But Lamar McKay, the head of BP's U.S. unit, said that such tests are only used "when there is an indication of a problem" and said that the "better way" to test cementing work is through positive and negative pressure tests.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 05-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement