FEDs sieze business that uses illegal aliens - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

FEDs sieze business that uses illegal aliens

Good for the FEDs. If there were no jobs here for them, they will go back home.

Quote:
For more than three decades, The French Gourmet restaurant has been serving high-end cuisine in its 45-seat dining room, catering events across the county, and producing hundreds of wedding cakes annually.

But now the business on Turquoise Avenue in Pacific Beach finds itself the target of federal immigration authorities and prosecutors who want more than just a great Coquille St. Jacques or strawberry bagatelle cake.

In an indictment released last week, the government said it wants the property where the iconic restaurant has done business since 1979.

That move makes the case against The French Gourmet more than a simple immigration enforcement case. Prosecutors could have several reasons for seeking the property, legal experts said. They may want to make a prominent example of the restaurant as they pursue businesses that hire illegal workers. Or perhaps they want to increase the stakes and the pressure to get guilty pleas.

Whatever the reason, such a move is a rare and maybe even unprecedented wrinkle in the federal government’s enforcement program that for the past year has focused on employers who hire illegal workers.

Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said she was unaware of any other instances in which a business was seized as the result of a work-site violation criminal case.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office unsealed the indictment charging owner Michel Malécot, the restaurant corporation that he heads and manager and pastry chef Richard Kauffmann with knowingly hiring undocumented workers.

The indictment seeks criminal forfeiture of the two land parcels the business occupies, which records show have an assessed value of more than $1.3 million.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...nt-a-rare-one/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

'bout fucking time.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Lifer

Has our country finally had enough? I sure hope so. Good for the Feds. Feds 1 illegal immigrants 0

1967 Camaro SS/RS

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
The Janitor

while i applaud the effort of going after illegals....im not sure i like the idea the FED's seizing property for their own use/resale.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Lifer

all the property should be auctioned off.

the fed should split the profits to legal citizens.

we should all get a check once a year.

at least that way the gov WOULD be working for us.

RON PAUL '08
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
while i applaud the effort of going after illegals....im not sure i like the idea the FED's seizing property for their own use/resale.
I would agree. Just fine the company $1,000,000 per illegal and that'll shut it down just as fast.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Canada is welcome here.

fffffffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
all the property should be auctioned off.
What if it's being leased?

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
Exactly! Im ok with fines or even jail time for hiring illegals but seizing property? No way am I ok with allowing the govt to take away peoples property as a punishment. This will only be the tip of the iceberg.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Exactly! Im ok with fines or even jail time for hiring illegals but seizing property? No way am I ok with allowing the govt to take away peoples property as a punishment. This will only be the tip of the iceberg.
What if the owners were immigrants, who lost their immigration status due to this?

Wouldn't the gov have to seize the land/property before reselling it?

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifer

so this is obamas immigration policy?

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
We can only dream.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I wish.

Actually, If it were me, I'd make every one of 'em legal citizens right this second, so I can get them documented and on the tax rolls and stop this black market of illegal labor. Cause let's face it, they are here and there isn't much we can do about it.

...just as soon as I wall off the borders and place minigun turrets every 200 yards.

Amnesty will only work if we know that there aren't any more illegals crossing the border.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Actually, If it were me, I'd make every one of 'em legal citizens right this second, so I can get them documented and on the tax rolls and stop this black market of illegal labor.
I'm totally against amnesty. There used to a be time when people because citizen's over a process. During that time, people would become AMERICAN first, with their country of background.

None of this BS, Mexico flag waving, little-Mexico crap. I'm insulted every time "they" want immigration "rights" but then wave the Mexican flag. If you wave another country's flag when you're wanting AMERICAN rights, kiss off and go back to the country you cherish and live there. Don't come here and want all the goodies of America but have your heart elsewhere.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
I'm totally against amnesty. There used to a be time when people because citizen's over a process. During that time, people would become AMERICAN first, with their country of background.

You're right. Ellis Island. You came here, you signed a book (not even using your real name) and you were in.

My plan is no different. Except that there won't be anymore than what is already here.

They HAVE to americanize. Speak our language, folow our laws.

My family is from Poland, and we americanized, because the second we stepped off that boat, we were no longer Polski, longer spoke polish (i barely can hold a convo now) they were AMERICANS.

You come to America, you are AMERICAN. If you want to keep calling yourself mexican, indian, arab, polski, then you can go back to where those people live.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
You're right. Ellis Island. You came here, you signed a book (not even using your real name) and you were in.
That was pre-1930's where the country at the time, wanted an influx of people coming in.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
That was pre-1930's where the country at the time, wanted an influx of people coming in.
We already have that influx. They are already here. I'm talking about it from a logistical standpoint, not and idealogical one. If I could "poof" them out, I would have done it already.

Logistically, how are we going to round up 10-13 million illegals? How much manpower, dollars, losses (human and economic) would that equate to?

Build a wall, Arm that wall, and make whoever is here at this moment a tax payer. (barring gangbangers, felons, and other no-goods of course)

Don't let anyone else in without going through the proper channels. I say adopt a policy like Australia. You have to be a contributor, someone that we NEED. (scientist, doctor, etc.)
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Censored

Quote:
We already have that influx. They are already here. I'm talking about it from a logistical standpoint, not and idealogical one. If I could "poof" them out, I would have done it already.

Logistically, how are we going to round up 10-13 million illegals? How much manpower, dollars, losses (human and economic) would that equate to?

Build a wall, Arm that wall, and make whoever is here at this moment a tax payer. (barring gangbangers, felons, and other no-goods of course)

Don't let anyone else in without going through the proper channels. I say adopt a policy like Australia. You have to be a contributor, someone that we NEED. (scientist, doctor, etc.)
Shit you think any Doctors want to come here after the health care bill?

The US Government isn't going to do shit about anything. We will get some more, we tried this it failed, we spent 5 billion over there... failed. They never do, well until a Terriorist comes over from the border and blows up a town.

Doors Done Rite
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
I wish.

Actually, If it were me, I'd make every one of 'em legal citizens right this second, so I can get them documented and on the tax rolls and stop this black market of illegal labor. Cause let's face it, they are here and there isn't much we can do about it.

...just as soon as I wall off the borders and place minigun turrets every 200 yards.

Amnesty will only work if we know that there aren't any more illegals crossing the border.
How does making them citizens stop people from coming? Not stopping them at the border, unless you want a great wall of china manned by thousands of troops.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
How does making them citizens stop people from coming? Not stopping them at the border, unless you want a great wall of china manned by thousands of troops.

I already suggested this.

Did you even read the post you quoted?

I exaggerated on the minigun turrets, but having a wall that has guards stationed is the only way we'll stop them for sure.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Fines...ok
Jail...ok
Government taking property...not ok

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
What if the property was owned by illegal immigrant, or an immigrant who has now had their immigration status revoked for these crimes?

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
What if the property was owned by illegal immigrant, or an immigrant who has now had their immigration status revoked for these crimes?
Then it goes to the next of kin or family member in which they leave it that is here legally. They should be able to sell their property. Now if they cannot afford to pay their fines and what not levied by the state/fed, then ok, seize the property, auction it and pay the amount towards their debt.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Then it goes to the next of kin or family member in which they leave it that is here legally. They should be able to sell their property. Now if they cannot afford to pay their fines and what not levied by the state/fed, then ok, seize the property, auction it and pay the amount towards their debt.
Ok, so an illegal with no legal family members. They're allowed to sell their land for profit before being deported?
Fuck no, fuck that.

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok, so an illegal with no legal family members. They're allowed to sell their land for profit before being deported?
Fuck no, fuck that.
Your throwing out a bunch of "what if's". Back to the story at hand, the company was in buisness since 1979 and obviously paying their taxes which would mean the owner was a legal citizen. Im not an entrepreneur but I dont see how a illegal can have a brick and mortar based buisness for long without getting shut down as soon as the IRS found out.

So if it is indeed owned by a legal citizen then no, the govt should not be allowed to just take their property. next thing you know the govt will be at your door taking your property for speeding on your way to work or some other dumb shit.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Worship me

The federal government has proven time and time again that it can't be trusted with the power to seize property. I don't know how much more proof anyone would need to see that.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
$uper $low

I guess i'm in the minority here.

I see a story about a criminal. I see a criminal being punished. I don't think he should have special privileges for this crime.

He used illegal labor to benefit his business. I think the loss of his business is %100 appropriate. I'd like to see the business handed to someone who will run it within the confines of the law.

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I guess i'm in the minority here.

I see a story about a criminal. I see a criminal being punished. I don't think he should have special privileges for this crime.

He used illegal labor to benefit his business. I think the loss of his business is %100 appropriate. I'd like to see the business handed to someone who will run it within the confines of the law.
So you think the feds should seize any restaurant that employs illegal workers? That would be a lot of restaurants.

These people should be fined and should be allowed to go about their business. The federal government has no business seizing anything for such a minor crime. Last time law enforcement had the right to seize things on a whim you had people being robbed on the side of the road by cops.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
So you think the feds should seize any restaurant that employs illegal workers? That would be a lot of restaurants.

yes.

It's part of that sympathy/empathy thing i'm lacking.

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Lifer

The government is so fucked up with this issue. They will not take a proactive approach on ending the influx of illegals, (by whatever means) because it does not benefit them, rather costing millions or possibly billions.

Moreover, they will seize property from tax-paying, contributing citizens, and also fine them if they hire illegals. BUT, they want to grant amnesty to the illegals, the ones who are, ILLEGAL?

Yeah, lets let the government continue seizing property, the obviously know what they are doing...

to the American people. Shame on this gov, I thought we were a democratic state?

btw, I am not American. I came from Canada in 2000,

.....the legal way of coarse.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I wish.

I'm more concerned about the overwhelming multitude of offspring that each one of them will be responsible for in the future. Just like with cockroaches, for every 1 you let survive, you'll have 100 in the future. They don't seem to realize or care that they can't afford the little rugrats and keep having more and more. Then, when people are handing out free help during Christmas, Thanksgiving, start of school, who are the people you see standing in line looking for a handout.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
Exactly, that will only encourage more to come with the hope of getting amnesty.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Fines...ok
Jail...ok
If it takes that to get people's attention, them I'm all for it in certain cases.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Fines...ok
Jail...ok
Quote:
Law enforcement seizes cars, cash and property used by drug dealers/manufacturers and organized crime, why not do it for the crime of employing illegals?

If the owner was profiting from the crime, he should get his shit seized.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95snake View Post
Has our country finally had enough? I sure hope so. Good for the Feds. Feds 1 illegal immigrants 0
I see it more like...

Feds 1 (a little more) illegal immigrants 6132489023189423189789

My '03 Sold.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Law enforcement seizes cars, cash and property used by drug dealers/manufacturers and organized crime, why not do it for the crime of employing illegals?

If the owner was profiting from the crime, he should get his shit seized.

Stevo
If buisness's were seized anytime the buisness profited off of breaking the law, do you realize how many buisness's would be left? Because I can promise you that even the most honest of buisness's cut corners where they can in the name of profit including possibly fudging numbers on their taxes.

Just like I said before, if your ok with the law showing up at your house to seize your car because you were speeding in it the day before and they caught you on camera then great but count me out. I can understand why you guys feel the way you do but think about the big picture.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
If buisness's were seized anytime the buisness profited off of breaking the law, do you realize how many buisness's would be left? Because I can promise you that even the most honest of buisness's cut corners where they can in the name of profit including possibly fudging numbers on their taxes.

Just like I said before, if your ok with the law showing up at your house to seize your car because you were speeding in it the day before and they caught you on camera then great but count me out. I can understand why you guys feel the way you do but think about the big picture.
I understand where you are coming from, but speeding in a car isn't doing something illegal and profiting from it, and businesses that are cooking the books are already in jeopardy of seizure by the IRS for tax fraud.

If they are purposely doing something illegal to profit monetarily, I have no issue with the property seizure.

I will use the comparison of carpenters stealing lumber to build houses. The illegal act is contributing to the profitability of the business, so therefor the business is a product of ill-gotten gain. It should be confiscated.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Lifer

good if you dont employ legal working citizens then go fuck yourself. you deserve to have your business seized.

98 Brokra
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but speeding in a car isn't doing something illegal and profiting from it, and businesses that are cooking the books are already in jeopardy of seizure by the IRS for tax fraud.

If they are purposely doing something illegal to profit monetarily, I have no issue with the property seizure.

I will use the comparison of carpenters stealing lumber to build houses. The illegal act is contributing to the profitability of the business, so therefor the business is a product of ill-gotten gain. It should be confiscated.

Stevo
The vast majority of businesses involved in tax evasion or fraud are just fined.

This crime isn't even as important as tax fraud anyway, if it was, the federal government would actually enforce it.

I'm against this sort of shit because the end result of not speaking up is that they WILL be trying to seize your car for speeding.

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95snake View Post
Has our country finally had enough? I sure hope so. Good for the Feds. Feds 1 illegal immigrants 10000000
fixed.

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Canada is welcome here.

I never understood how they could "seize" property. Be it a car, or a house. When money is still owed to the bank, I mean. Seems like the bank would stand up and be like "Uh, excuse me! That's actually mine, and if you want it then you need to pay for it..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement