Blago wants to subpoena Obama - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Blago wants to subpoena Obama

Blagojevich wants to subpoena Obama
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...f6eFwD9F8850G0

(AP) – 57 minutes ago

CHICAGO — Ousted Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has asked a federal judge subpoena the president to testify at his corruption trial.

In a motion filed Thursday with U.S. District Judge James Zagel, Blagojevich attorney Sam Adam says President Barack Obama has direct knowledge of allegations made in the indictment.

It would be extremely unusual for a sitting president to testify at a corruption trial.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, Randall Samborn, had no comment on the 11-page motion. The filing contained several sections blacked out, apparently because they refer to material that the court has placed under seal.

Blagojevich has pleaded not guilty to charges that accuse him of scheming to sell or trade the Senate seat left vacant by Obama's election as president.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Lifer

I'd love to see it, but good luck with that.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Token Troll

He'd testify in Blago's defense, right? They'll cover each other's back.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Like has been said, I would love to se it because I dislike him so much, but I would not have wanted Bush to have to testify if some corrupt Republican had subpoenaed him either.

It won't happen.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Like has been said, I would love to se it because I dislike him so much, but I would not have wanted Bush to have to testify if some corrupt Republican had subpoenaed him either.

It won't happen.
i would have

RON PAUL '08
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Robert Galarga

So the POTUS is immune from subpeonas?

- Geof

2004 pontiac gtslow
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So the POTUS is immune from subpeonas?

- Geof
I wouldn't say "immune", but more than likely would have it put off indefinitely. Slick Willie Clinton probably taught future POTUS what NOT to do if questioned.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
i would have
Good for you.

Do you think Obama should also?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I wouldn't say "immune", but more than likely would have it put off indefinitely. Slick Willie Clinton probably taught future POTUS what NOT to do if questioned.
No shit, especially if the Messiah didn't have a teleprompter in the court room. He would make Clinton's colossal screw up look miniscule.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No shit, especially if the Messiah didn't have a teleprompter in the court room. He would make Clinton's colossal screw up look miniscule.
It still amazes me at how many people actually forget that Willie was IMPEACHED over that mess. I'm also amazed at how much I still get tickled every time I think about it!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
600 hp 13 forward gears

Location: 99 Peterbilt 379 ex. hood 600 ISX cummins Rollin down the super slab !
Quote:
One can only wish this would happen .

Fox stang coupe
97 F-250 4x4 crew cab shorty smokes really bad sometimes ???
Future cummins conversion above.
rice rocket for a daily.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
It still amazes me at how many people actually forget that Willie was IMPEACHED over that mess. I'm also amazed at how much I still get tickled every time I think about it!

Only by the House and not by the Senate.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
On two counts. Also, the senate doesn't "impeach"...they "convict". That's how you remove a POTUS from office. The impeachment is not affected by the senate, and the house cannot remove the POTUS except by a 2/3's majority vote.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Sign I saw on the ground:

Quote:
Impeached & disbarred for life. He cannot practice law, ever, again. You have to really acheive to join ranks in that club. Whenever someone's quoting anything out of Wm J Clinton, I have to wonder if they know anything about the source.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Last edited by barronj; 04-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Damn, someone pull out the moral victory flag for the doc. LMAO!

He will always be the only President I have ever known about who would go and lie under oath as a sitting President and have his supporters defend him.

BTW, those same hypocritical ass supporters would have asked for any Republican President to be arrested if there was even the impression of impropriety, much less have it shown on national TV for all to see.
//coughs// Bush //coughs//

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
Blago will end up dead soon.
Probably no great loss to humanity, either.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Damn, someone pull out the moral victory flag for the doc. LMAO!

He will always be the only President I have ever known about who would go and lie under oath as a sitting President and have his supporters defend him.

BTW, those same hypocritical ass supporters would have asked for any Republican President to be arrested if there was even the impression of impropriety, much less have it shown on national TV for all to see.
//coughs// Bush //coughs//
Dont get me wrong, I hate the POS. I wish the senate would have convicted him and removed him from office.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Lifer

I thought it was a bad idea when they tried to subpoena bush, and I think it is a bad idea now. the office of the president should not be bothered with this. if there is a strong enough argument to have Obama appear, then surely a judge could grant a stay of legal proceedings until after obama is out of office.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I thought it was a bad idea when they tried to subpoena bush, and I think it is a bad idea now. the office of the president should not be bothered with this. if there is a strong enough argument to have Obama appear, then surely a judge could grant a stay of legal proceedings until after obama is out of office.
Him being president now doesn't protect him from his involvement in possibly illegal situations before he was President.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Him being president now doesn't protect him from his involvement in possibly illegal situations before he was President.
or one's he's violated while acting as potus such as the Logan act. The media won't touch that though as long as they can distract everyone with Tiger and Sandra Bullock, you know the real important issues.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

It won't happen.
Why not?

piggypiggy/ if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal? /piggypiggy

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Why not?

piggypiggy/ if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal? /piggypiggy
Bush was a busy guy, where as Barry would just have to postpone a round of golf.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Lifer

That dude is a major douchebag.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Censored

Quote:
On two counts. Also, the senate doesn't "impeach"...they "convict". That's how you remove a POTUS from office. The impeachment is not affected by the senate, and the house cannot remove the POTUS except by a 2/3's majority vote.
I learned something off of DFWstangs today.

Doors Done Rite
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
thats not what I am saying, blago wants obama subpoenaed to testify as a witness in his trial. subpoena is just an act of getting someone to come in and testify, it has nothing to do with criminal allegations.

should the president be forced to stop running the free world, spend millions of dollars making a presidential visit to chicago to testify (and he has the option of taking the 5th when he gets there). if his testimony would prove a relevant part of the trial, to the defense of blago, then the judge could put the trial off until after the president is out of office.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I would not go that far, but I sure think it would have to be pretty bad illegal acts to have a sitting president testify.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Why not?

Maybe it is out of respect for the office. You do respect the OFFICE of POTUS, don't you?

The request to subpoena Bush was partisan BS. The request to subpeona Obama is much more legit, but still not to the level I would want a sitting President to be testifying.

If he was accused in an indictment of corruption like Blago, maybe.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe it is out of respect for the office. You do respect the OFFICE of POTUS, don't you?

The request to subpoena Bush was partisan BS. The request to subpeona Obama is much more legit, but still not to the level I would want a sitting President to be testifying.

If he was accused in an indictment of corruption like Blago, maybe.
they tried to subpoena bush in dallas over the SMU library.
gumball, the defendant, believes that obamas testimony will prove him not guilty

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
they tried to subpoena bush in dallas over the SMU library.
gumball, the defendant, believes that obamas testimony will prove him not guilty
Yep, neither of those rise to my level of requiring a sitting President to testify. I don't even know if either rise to the level of requiring an ex-president to testify.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Time Served

I know an older lady who's son is a political big wig in Chicago. He tells her that Blagojevich wasn't trying to sell the seat at all. Obama sent in one of his buddies to buy the seat and is on tape saying some things that will bury his ass if they get out. That is why Blagojevich wants all of the tapes played because he knows that the charges will be dropped before they ever let the full set of tapes be played.

Rule#2 Double Tap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement