"F" obama and his Value Added Tax (VAT) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

"F" obama and his Value Added Tax (VAT)

Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option:

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...wsDCC_article1

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama suggested Wednesday that a new value-added tax on Americans is still on the table, seeming to show more openness to the idea than his aides have expressed in recent days.

Before deciding what revenue options are best for dealing with the deficit and the economy, Obama said in an interview with CNBC, "I want to get a better picture of what our options are."

After Obama adviser Paul Volcker recently raised the prospect of a value-added tax, or VAT, the Senate voted 85-13 last week for a nonbinding "sense of the Senate" resolution that calls the such a tax "a massive tax increase that will cripple families on fixed income and only further push back America's economic recovery."

For days, White House spokesmen have said the president has not proposed and is not considering a VAT.

"I think I directly answered this the other day by saying that it wasn't something that the president had under consideration," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters shortly before Obama spoke with CNBC.

After the interview, White House deputy communications director Jen Psaki said nothing has changed and the White House is "not considering" a VAT.

Many European countries impose a VAT, which taxes the value that is added at each stage of production of certain commodities. It could apply, for instance, to raw products delivered to a mill, the mill's production work and so on up the line to the retailer.

In the CNBC interview, Obama said he was waiting for recommendations from a bipartisan fiscal advisory commission on ways to tackle the deficit and other problems.

When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States."

"And before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

He said his first priority "is to figure out how can we reduce wasteful spending so that, you know, we have a baseline of the core services that we need and the government should provide. And then we decide how do we pay for that."

Volcker has said taxes might have to be raised to slow the deficit's growth. He said a value-added tax "was not as toxic an idea" as it had been in the past.

Since then, some GOP lawmakers and conservative commentators have said the Obama administration is edging toward a VAT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option:

He said his first priority "is to figure out how can we reduce wasteful spending so that, you know, we have a baseline of the core services that we need and the government should provide. And then we decide how do we pay for that."
BS, he was drunk or he never would have said this part.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
BS, he was drunk or he never would have said this part.
His wife's 22 aides and their 1.5m annual salary should be the first to go.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Token Troll

Can this ass-hat not go a day without doing something to piss me off?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Worship me

I like how they act like reducing government spending is almost impossible.

It is if you want to get re-elected. Fucking cocksuckers!

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I like how they act like reducing government spending is almost impossible.

It is if you want to get re-elected. Fucking cocksuckers!
A) Please do all you can to NOT get re-elected.
B) Hypocrisy at its best...every person has to tighten their budget and spend less as the government takes more and refuses to tighten it budget and spend less.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
T-MINUS

Just another step by Obama to destroy America. Does VAT get applied to imports or do we see millions of jobs outsourced to savages and we fall on yet harder times?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Between the Cap & Trade BS (now re-named as the Pollution Reduction Act) and now the VAT, the government is absolutely going to break the back of the American Tax Payer.

It just unbelievable how out of touch with reality these idiots continue to be..

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I'm all for a VAT if it replaces the federal income tax. I'm completely against anything that takes more money from my paycheck and sends it to the federal government though.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
I'm all for a VAT if it replaces the federal income tax. I'm completely against anything that takes more money from my paycheck and sends it to the federal government though.
LOL...government actually eliminating a tax. ROFLMAO.

If you'd read up on anywhere they talk about the VAT, it's sneaked in there on top of every other tax we pay. They spin it as a tax on big business, but you know who'll actually pay for it...

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
LOL...government actually eliminating a tax. ROFLMAO.

If you'd read up on anywhere they talk about the VAT, it's sneaked in there on top of every other tax we pay. They spin it as a tax on big business, but you know who'll actually pay for it...
Yep, I'm aware that it'll be an additional tax. They are also regressive so it disproportionately hits their destitute voter base harder. You'd think the very people that support democrats would realize this.

Democrats, helping the poor by raising their taxes.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn View Post
Between the Cap & Trade BS (now re-named as the Pollution Reduction Act) and now the VAT, the government is absolutely going to break the back of the American Tax Payer.

It just unbelievable how out of touch with reality these idiots continue to be..

mardyn
That is why I believe you'll see some of these clowns get reached out and touched.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Glen Beck said he wanted the VAT too, of course he also thinks we should verichip our kids. It's real hard to tell the difference between the elephants and the asses.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreeb View Post
It's real hard to tell the difference between the elephants and the asses.

There is a deference? They rail against each others policy's/laws but strangely enough, they never seem to get rid of the hated policy's when the "other party" gets control of the house.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I've felt for along time they are all actors, Jesse Ventura said it was like wrestling they fight each other and then go out and have dinner afterwards. It's time for a "real" person to take charge and get back us back to our roots.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
PAN

There will be no 'real' people arrive on the scene. Fast forward ten years and we are all still wriggling on that big governmental dick planted balls deep in our asses.

And we'll still be bitching about it. Though probably not here as at that point speaking your mind on the innernet will be illegal...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Lifer

as if we dont already pay enough tax! youll be taxed on the air you breathe before its all over with these fucks

98 Brokra
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ View Post
as if we dont already pay enough tax! youll be taxed on the air you breathe before its all over with these fucks
Didn't you hear? CO2 is a pollutant, so I'm sure we'll all be fined over exhaling based on weight and BMI...

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Lifer

Well we had a real person in the primary's for Texas Governor. But it seems not enough people wanted a real person in office.

And yeah, I believe Medina would have kept the obama at bay.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.

Last edited by tazz007; 04-23-2010 at 06:03 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Lifer

This guy has it right, and he is just a little upset. Check out this guys website. lol
http://drinkingwithbob.com/rants.html

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.

Last edited by MR TINFOIL HAT; 04-23-2010 at 05:52 PM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Token Troll

Here we go...
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Everything is on the table when it comes to finding a way to get America out of debt, according to President Obama's newly appointed debt commission, meaning a value added tax could be headed to a product near you.

Former Wyoming Republican Sen. Alan Simpson will join former Clinton Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles to lead the elite18-member debt commission convening Tuesday -- a panel appointed by Democrats and Republicans to come up with a plan to save America from its spendthrift ways.

The commission's charge is to produce a deficit no bigger than $550 billion by 2015, an amount equal to about 3 percent of the total U.S. economy. That would require deficit savings in the range of $250 billion or more.

The deficit for last fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, was $1.4 trillion. Many projections show the yearly deficit not dipping below 4 percent of the economy over the next decade.

Simpson said he doesn't know what will make the final recommendations -- due Dec. 1 -- but he is not going to take anything for granted, including the value added tax, which would add a charge on all stages of production of a good for sale in the United States.

But Simpson said the VAT should not be an additional tax on top of the income tax.

"To drag this specter of the value added tax like a dead rat through the room without doing
something with the income tax is a fakery," Simpson told Fox News on Monday. "What is this value added tax? I haven't the slightest idea but if you're going mess around in that area or flat tax, you're going to adjust the other tax in accordance."

The VAT is commonly used in Europe and adds about 17 percent to the price of a good sold in the United Kingdom.

President Obama said last week that he was listening to arguments for a VAT, but those against it say that it reduces consumer purchasing power.

"It's like carbon monoxide, you can't see it you can't smell it, but it kills you just as effectively," said British author James Delingpole, who wrote, "Welcome to Obamaland."

But finding consensus among the panel -- composed of 10 Democratically appointed commissioners and eight Republican appointees -- will be an especially challenging task because it takes 14 votes out of the 18 members to approve a recommendation.

"This is a suicide mission," Simpson, R-Wyo., said on "Fox News Sunday."

The options for curbing the deficit -- cutting spending on popular entitlement programs and broad-based tax increases -- are politically toxic, part of the reason, Simpson said, the panel set its deadline after the November midterm election -- so the recommendations couldn't be used by politicians seeking a congressional seat.

The hope is that the commission can insulate itself from politics and that the requirement for bipartisanship would give both sides political cover. With few exceptions, most successful deficit reduction efforts have been bipartisan.

"Let's see if we can persuade people to trust each other, come together, and really take some of these tough stands to bring down spending," the panel's other co-chairman, Erskine Bowles, said on "Fox News Sunday." "Everything has to be on the table, whether it's revenue or spending. I personally would like to go after spending first."

Simpson said there are no sacred cows when it comes to taxes or spending because the minor economic comeback so far this year can do nothing to sustain the rate of debt.

"If that's the wind, that's got to be a sparrow belch in a typhoon. We can't grow our way out of this. Double rates the growth in 30 years wouldn't grow out of this," he said, adding that the United States is going to borrow to pay for war, homeland security, education and veteran benefits not to mention the cost of obligations through Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

But finding common ground will be the biggest challenge as 12 of the commission members -- six Democrats and six Republicans -- are currently members of Congress. The other six -- Simpson, Bowles, former Young and Rubicam CEO Ann Fudge, former Federal Reserve Vice Chairwoman Alice Rivlin, Service Employees International Union chief Andy Stern and Honeywell Corp. Chief Executive Dave Cote were appointed by the president

Already, interest groups on the left are weighing in, urging Democrats to avoid cutting spending on popular benefit programs like Social Security and Medicare.

"Simply put, Social Security has not contributed one thin dime to the current deficit. It should not be used as a piggy bank to pay our way out of the fiscal hole we find ourselves in," said Barbara Kennelly, president of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.

There hasn't been a significant deficit-cutting effort since 1997, when a GOP-led Congress and newly re-elected Clinton came together to produce a balanced budget plan combining a relatively painless set of spending cuts with tax cuts sought by Republicans and a new children's health plan embraced by both parties. That deal was greatly helped by improving deficit projections.

But the fiscal gap confronting the commission is considerably more daunting. Executive Director Bruce Reed says the debt panel will try to close the 2015 budget deficit from the $793 billion projected by the Congressional Budget Office for Obama's budget down to $520 billion or so.

Obama will meet privately with the panel for 20 minutes or so and make brief remarks afterward. Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke and Obama's budget chief Peter Orszag will also address the panel.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...started-table/

Everything's on the table except for repealing the stimulus binge or reduce spending. They're too much wimps to actually trim welfare or spending. As always, when they spend too much, the "only" solution is to raise taxes. @#[email protected]$

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
Well we had a real person in the primary's for Texas Governor. But it seems not enough people wanted a real person in office.

And yeah, I believe Medina would have kept the obama at bay.
We can hope that people will eventually look past the mouth service and maybe vote for folks with less experience but more integrity/heart/patriotism.

However, this would have to go on for a long while to pry out a small amount of the corruption currently embedded in our government.

I just don't see it happening.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement