Justice John Paul Stevens to retire - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Justice John Paul Stevens to retire

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, the court's oldest member and leader of its liberal bloc, is retiring. President Barack Obama now has his second high court opening to fill.
Stevens said Friday he will step down when the court finishes its work for the summer in late June or early July. He said he hopes his successor is confirmed "well in advance of the commencement of the court's next term."
Stevens' announcement leaves ample time for the White House to settle on a successor and for Senate Democrats, who control a 59-vote majority, to hold confirmation hearings and a vote before the court's next term begins in October. Republicans have not ruled out attempts to delay confirmation.
Stevens' announcement had been hinted at for months. It comes 11 days before his 90th birthday.
Throughout his tenure, which began after President Gerald Ford nominated him in 1975, Stevens usually sided with the court's liberal bloc in the most contentious cases — those involving abortion, criminal law, civil rights and church-state relations. He led the dissenters as well in the case of Bush v. Gore that sealed President George W. Bush's election in 2000.
Stevens began signaling a possible retirement last summer when he hired just one of his usual complement of four law clerks for the next court term. He acknowledged in several interviews that he was contemplating stepping down and would certainly do so during Obama's presidency.
Obama planned to address Stevens' retirement with a 1:20 p.m. EDT statement in the Rose Garden.
Chief Justice John Roberts said in a written statement that Stevens "has enriched the lives of everyone at the Court through his intellect, independence, and warm grace."
Senate confirmations of Supreme Court justices have increasingly become political battles and this one will come amid the added heat of congressional election campaigns.
Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, appealed for civility. "I hope that senators on both sides of the aisle will make this process a thoughtful and civil discourse," Leahy said.
Looking toward those hearings, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said, "Americans can expect Senate Republicans to make a sustained and vigorous case for judicial restraint and the fundamental importance of an evenhanded reading of the law."
Stevens informed Obama in a one-paragraph letter addressed to "My dear Mr. President." It was delivered to the White House by court messenger at 10:30 a.m. EDT, two minutes before the court's public announcement. The news came on a day when the court wasn't in session.
White House counsel Bob Bauer telephoned the news to Obama on Air Force One, as he returned from a trip to Prague.
The leading candidates to replace Stevens are Solicitor General Elena Kagan, 49, and federal appellate Judges Merrick Garland, 57, in Washington and Diane Wood, 59, in Chicago.
Stevens' departure will not change the court's conservative-liberal split because Obama is certain to name a liberal-leaning replacement, as he did with his first nominee, Justice Sonia Sotomayor. But the new justice is not likely to be able to match Stevens' ability to marshal narrow majorities in big cases.
Stevens was able to draw the support of the court's swing votes, now-retired Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and Justice Anthony Kennedy, to rein in or block some Bush administration policies, including the detention of suspected terrorists following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, its tilt toward protecting businesses from some lawsuits and its refusal to act against global warming.
But after the arrival of Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito, President George W. Bush's appointees, Stevens more often was among the four liberal justices in dissent.
Stevens' recent dissent in a major case involving campaign finance laws showed both the eloquence of his writing and, in his stumbling reading of his opinion in the courtroom, signs that his age might at long last be affecting him, though he remains an active tennis player and swimmer.
He is the court's last World War II veteran and that experience sometimes finds its way into his writings, recently in a reference to Tokyo Rose, the English-speaking Japanese radio announcer who addressed U.S. soldiers in the Pacific.
Stevens had a reputation as a bright and independent federal appeals court judge when Ford, acting on a recommendation by Attorney General Edward Levi, nominated him to the Supreme Court.
His friendly manner of questioning lawyers who appeared before the court could not hide Stevens' keen mind. His questions often zero in on the most telling weaknesses of a lawyer's argument and the case's practical effect on everyday people.
A pleasant, unassuming man, Stevens has been a prolific and lucid writer. For many years, he wrote more opinions each court term than any other justice.
Most justices let their law clerks write the first drafts of opinions, but Stevens has used his clerks as editors.
He'd write the first draft and submit it to the clerks for comment. "That's when the real fun begins," Stevens once told a visitor. "The give and take can get pretty fierce."
As a result, his opinions have reflected his personal writing style — a conversational one that contrasted sharply with the dry, dull efforts of some other justices.
He had said that one sign of his time to retire would be an inability to churn out those first drafts. But he insisted in recent days that he was still writing them.
A member of a prominent and wealthy Chicago family, Stevens spoke proudly of being a Cubs fan who was at Wrigley Field for the 1932 World Series game when Babe Ruth supposedly pointed to the spot where he would hit a home run. He met many celebrities of the day when they stayed at his family's hotel in Chicago, including aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart.
Stevens graduated from the University of Chicago. After serving in the Navy during World War II, he earned a law degree from Northwestern University, finishing first in his class. He later taught antitrust law at both schools.
In 1979, Stevens became only the second justice to divorce while serving on the court. Stevens and his first wife, Elizabeth Jane Sheeren, had four children. He later married a former Chicago neighbor, Maryan Mulholland Simon.
An avid bridge and tennis player, Stevens also is a licensed pilot. From autumn through spring, he and his wife routinely travel to his condominium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
"I lead an average life, just like anybody else," Stevens once told an acquaintance. "I play bridge, play tennis, try to play better golf. I'm very comfortable here."
Even in his late 80s, Stevens said he swam every day and continued playing tennis several times a week. He described reading legal briefs on the beach, noting his colleagues' jealousy when in court one day he opened a brief and grains of sand spilled out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100409/..._court_stevens

Working on my project Stang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM
T-MINUS

Fuck! I was hoping he'd wait until 2013.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Lifer

Is Barry going to try and slide commie Cass Sunstein in his place?

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Fuck! I was hoping he'd wait until 2013.
Perfect timing, huh?

Working on my project Stang
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Worship me

This old school Dem will be replaced with some dumbshit fucking liberal cunt with a hyphenated name and a chip on her shoulder, just wait and see.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Token Troll

Out with the old Lib, in with the new Lib...

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

It's not a big deal. The balance of the court will remain the same.

If one of the conservatives kicks the bucket, well then you should be worried..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Bullet Sponge

Exactly. I hope all our guys hang in there. This guy was the leader of the libs in that court, with him leaving it should be interesting to see
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Canada is welcome here.

WTF. Why should any president have anything at all to due with the supreme court? From my understanding, the supreme court is set up to be, sort of like our lifeline/last line of defense. They are supposed to be immune to our politics, their function being to determine whether a law in constitutional. And if they rule a law unconstitutional, then all of the politicians and back alley dealers just have to go get fucked. So if barry the communist is saying who will be in, then we don't really have a chance to repeal healthcare reform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
WTF. Why should any president have anything at all to due with the supreme court? From my understanding, the supreme court is set up to be, sort of like our lifeline/last line of defense. They are supposed to be immune to our politics, their function being to determine whether a law in constitutional. And if they rule a law unconstitutional, then all of the politicians and back alley dealers just have to go get fucked. So if barry the communist is saying who will be in, then we don't really have a chance to repeal healthcare reform.
Supreme Court, yes, is part of the checks and balances, but also as a side, it was meant to preserve a President's policies/legacy after the President leaves office. By putting some one in of like mind, The President, in effect, leave an impression on any future decisions that comes from the court.

Our chance at repealing Healthcare relies on past Conservative nominations.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Ever read the constitution? Article 3. Who else would appoint them?

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Resident Epicurean

They mentioned on Fox 4 last night that Napolitano was being considered as a possible replacement. Nice. The same cunt that said Christians, former soldiers, people who believe in the right to bear arms, etc, were all considered domestic terrorists.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

So, Stevens is retiring in late June/early July. Even though he has announced his retirement, doesn't Obama have to wait until the seat is actually vacant to make a nomination?

I know that's splitting hairs, but am I wrong?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
They mentioned on Fox 4 last night that Napolitano was being considered as a possible replacement. Nice. The same cunt that said Christians, former soldiers, people who believe in the right to bear arms, etc, were all considered domestic terrorists.
There is no better way to use cunt in a sentence with it making the defining picture perfect image of said cunt pop into one's mind. I salute you!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
makin' bacon

Saw that Hitlery Clinton was on the short list, along with the hyphenated last name bitch that Al described.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Saw that Hitlery Clinton was on the short list, along with the hyphenated last name bitch that Al described.

Stevo
Does she even a fucking JD?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Does she even a fucking JD?
I wondered the same thing. Thgat communist fuckhead Cass something or another was on the list as well.....
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Seriously? That's the way it's been for the last 220 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Boost is Good

all the commies (dems) in office do is piss on the constitution
All they want is supreme court justices to piss on the constitution with them.
America got the change it can believe in all right

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement