WTF is going on with this country - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

WTF is going on with this country

http://www.ydr.com/ydr/newsfull/ci_7555437

Nov 25, 2007 — A federal lawsuit against protesters at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral garnered national headlines, but overshadowed the details of how Snyder died.

A military investigation shows Snyder was killed in Iraq when a driver lost control of an armored Humvee after hitting a series of potholes. Documents released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request show the Marines' investigator did not recommend discipline for the driver or others involved.

Snyder, whose father lives in Spring Garden Township and whose mother lives in northern Maryland, was ejected from the Humvee he was riding in as a gunner after it rolled several times on March 3, 2006.

The 20-year-old died from multiple blunt force head trauma. He had been in Iraq fewer than four weeks with his unit, the Combat Service Support Group-1, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force.

Four others, three Marines and a private contractor helping translate for the group, were injured in the crash.

Since the war began in March 2003, at least 109 Marines have been killed in crashes, the Department of Defense reported in its November casualty report.

On Oct. 31, a jury awarded Snyder's father, Albert Snyder, $10.9 million after finding
Advertisement
Quantcast
members of the Westboro Baptist Church invaded the family's privacy by protesting at Snyder's funeral.

The judgment doesn't erase the disrespect Albert Snyder family's felt as a result of church members carrying signs that insulted them and his son, Albert Snyder said.

It also won't bring back his son, a boy who had wanted to be a soldier since he was 9 years old, the Marine's father added.

The crash

Marine Capt. Brett Miner's report indicates that, in March 2006, members of Snyder's unit were briefed on their Humvee trip, a resupply mission from Camp Al Asad to Camp Al Qa'im called Operation Mighty Oak.

The Marines were part of a convoy that included four armored Humvees in case the supply chain of Humvees was attacked or ambushed.

As part of the mission, the Humvees would ride together in a convoy that would change positions as it traveled on the mostly single-lane, dirt road as a way to confuse anyone who might be tracking them or planning an attack, Miner reported.

Snyder was riding with four other people, Cpl. Kenrick Allen, Lance Cpl. Marcus Garciaalmarza, Pvt. 1st Class Allen Rome, who was driving, and a civilian contractor, Rafid Kully.

The convoy had been traveling for several minutes when two Humvees, including the one Snyder was riding in, listed as Guardian 14, moved in front of two others.

Superior officers ordered the two Humvees to slow down and get back in line in the convoy, but the order was ignored, documents showed.

Miner found Guardian 14 was traveling between 35 and 50 mph when it passed other vehicles and ran into a series of potholes. The Humvee driver, Rome, drove Guardian 14 onto the road's shoulder to pass a truck in the convoy.

Guardian 14 then came back on the road, but hit another crop of potholes and began fishtailing. Garciaalmarza told Rome, "Whoa, we might want to slow down," but before the driver could respond, the Humvee hit another large pothole.

The vehicle's rear jumped up and swung to the right. Rome fought to control the Humvee, which had armor that adds about 2,000 pounds to its weight.

Miner's report said the Humvee went off the left side of the road, then rolled.

Everyone was ejected from the Humvee. They were not wearing seat belts, Miner's report states.

Snyder was thrown 90 feet and hit his head, documents showed.

Other Marines in the convoy rushed to help the injured.

Snyder was found with a massive head wound and other injuries, and was pronounced dead at the scene, Miner reported.

The Humvee's driver, Rome, was knocked unconscious by the impact and sustained a bruised lung, fractured rib, fractured right scapula and a dislocated right knee. Garciaalmarza had a cut on his head.

Allen, who was thrown 60 feet, fractured his right leg and had cuts and other injuries. The civilian contractor, Kully, had a bruised knee and shoulder, as well as cuts on this head.

The injured, and Snyder's body, were taken to the nearest military facility.

Snyder's mother, Julie Francis, was notified the next day, March 3, 2006.

Shortly after her son's death, Francis said, "He had volunteered for his assignment of the Humvee. There was no fear. This is what he wanted to do."

Francis and Albert Snyder could not be reached for comment on the report and its findings.

Report conclusions

Although it appears from the report that there were some issues about the convoy's formation and Rome's speed, and he is listed in the report as the one responsible for the crash, Miner did not suggest any discipline for anyone involved.

"Rome was injured in the line of duty, and not due to his own misconduct," Miner wrote. Miner could not be reached for comment on the report last week.

The investigator added, however, that Rome's choice not to wear a seat belt contributed to his injuries.

Rome was in the hospital for months and did not remember anything about the crash, Miner reported.

Statements from the others who rode with him filled in some of the blanks, including that the Marines were briefed on, and told to wear, seat belts.

Miner recommended superior officers be responsible for making sure the vehicle occupants wear seat belts. He also suggested the Marines in Snyder's unit review their techniques, policies and procedures in regard to the convoy formation used in Operation Mighty Oak.

He also wanted to add additional Humvee driving training for the Marines stationed in desert areas, and suggested they take Guardian 14 out of service.

Marines supervisors who reviewed his investigation and suggestions did not endorse those recommendations.

They also did not think superior officers should be held responsible for their occupants not wearing seat belts and said the mangled Humvee would be repaired and used.

In memorandums endorsing the final report with its changes, Marines officials said the crash was a tragic accident and offered its condolences to Snyder's family.

Reach Michele Canty at 771-2028 or [email protected].

About him

Marines Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder

High school: Westminster High School in Maryland

Graduated: June 2003

Enlisted: Oct. 14, 2003

Unit: Combat Logistics Batallion-7, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Family: Parents, Albert Snyder and Julia Francis; sisters Sarah Anne Snyder and Tracie Lynne Snyder

Civil lawsuit

A defamation lawsuit was filed June 5 in U.S. District Court in Maryland on behalf of Albert Snyder, father of Marines Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, 20, who died in a Humvee crash March 3, 2006, in Iraq. The lawsuit named Fred W. Phelps, Westboro Baptist Church and others as defendants.

The lawsuit alleged church members violated the family's right to privacy by appearing at Matthew Snyder's March 10 funeral, defamed the Marine and his family during the protest and on their Web site, and conspired to protest at the funeral.

Several members from Phelps' church protested at the service held at a Westminster, Md., church, carrying signs that read, “Semper Fi, Semper Fags” and “Thank God for Dead Soldiers.”

Last month, a federal jury in Baltimore found the church violated Snyder's family's privacy, and the jury awarded his father $10.9 million. The church has said it plans to appeal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

The follow up

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_funera...FyaW5lc2RhZG9y

BALTIMORE – The father of a Marine killed in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters was ordered to pay the protesters' appeal costs, his lawyers said Monday.

On Friday, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

The two-page decision supplied by attorneys for Albert Snyder of York, Pa., offered no details on how the court came to its decision.

Attorneys also said Snyder is struggling to come up with fees associated with filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court.

The decision adds "insult to injury," said Sean Summers, one of Snyder's lawyers.

The high court agreed to consider whether the protesters' message is protected by the First Amendment or limited by the competing privacy and religious rights of the mourners.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Time Served

i would love to put that judge in a room with that Marine's father, his fellow Marines and several blunt objects.

Grabber Orange 2008 GT
Tuned by Andy @ Gearheads 331 rwhp 329 rwtq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
education has nothing to do with it.i dont have a degree.but i do have a biusiness and that dont require any education.so go read a book

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
i would love to put that judge in a room with that Marine's father, his fellow Marines and several blunt objects.
Damn straight! It'd be good to take that Phelps asshole and tie him back to back with the judge. Get a good "2-fer" out of it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Whoa whoa whoa..

He WON the fuckin' case and now HE has to pay for the appeal of those shitheads?

How the fuck does that happen?

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Whoa whoa whoa..

He WON the fuckin' case and now HE has to pay for the appeal of those shitheads?

That's what I read as well. WTF?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I just hope the Supremes hear the case and either restore the judgment or at least keep the guy from paying court costs.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa..

He lost the appeal. Ordering the loseing side to pay the winning sides legal fees is a common pratice.

Rev Phelps and his family are a bunch of shit bags. I am stunned that none of them have been killed yet considering that they have been doing this kind of crap since the 1st Gulf War. I made a point of meeting a few of them while on a business trip to Topeka KS in 1993(?) after seeing them on 60 Minutes.

I wonder what Phelps and family would think if some Marines showed up to protest at a funeral of one of their loved ones.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

It just makes me sick when I hear about funeral protests. The Patriot riders have taken a great stance but they can't be at all of these funerals.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Lifer

why are anti gay protesters protesting a marines funeral in the first place?

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
T-MINUS

Why don't people react to the protests? If I was at a funeral for my child, and under emotional strain, I'd use that as an excuse for me mowing them down with my vehicle.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Worship me

I'm just glad that the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case. I haven't tried to read prior deicisions to see how they will decide the case. It is going to be interesting though.

If it were my child killed in action then I would just exact some form of revenge on Phelps and his family. It wouldn't be hard, everyone knows where they live in that town.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
why are anti gay protesters protesting a marines funeral in the first place?
Phelps and crew are the God Hates Fags people. They are protesting TONS of soldiers funerals. They claim soldiers dying are the result of God's wrath for all the 'sin' going on in the world. They are actually the cause for the formation of the Freedom Riders group, who ride around and protest the protesters, provider barriers between the funerals Nd the protestors, etc. Phelps' cunt daughter was on the corner of a major intersection in Houston, protestig a soldier's funeral, and had feces and cups of urine thrown at and poured on her.

I hope Phelps and family die a slow, painful death, and rot in fucking hell. He runs a cult, plain and simple. These kids are brainwashed with these beliefs. I've seen several interviews, and these kids are sickening with the rhetoric they spew.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Lifer

surprise suprise, another group using God to justify their actions

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa..

That's the new AMERIKA! That's absolutely ridiculous, and those protestors should get their heads cracked.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Lifer

The father is on fox news today.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Bullet Sponge

They are the reason Patriot guard and Combat Vets Motorcycle Assoc ride to these funerals. Our job is to nonviolently keep them away from the family, but I'll take one for the team by climbing all over one of them.

Though they are a cult of lawyers. Every one of them is an attorney and they live by the lawsuits from suing the families that hit them. I believe if you protest a funeral, then the supreme Court should say "Hey, it's your ass."
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama_Queen View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_funera...FyaW5lc2RhZG9y

On Friday, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

Attorneys also said Snyder is struggling to come up with fees associated with filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court.

how is he struggling to come up with the fees? didn't he just win a $10.9 mil case?

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobles06 View Post
how is he struggling to come up with the fees? didn't he just win a $10.9 mil case?
If they appeal, that money isn't doled out until all is said and done. It's fucked up that they are making him pay the fees before it's all said and done, however.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Canada is welcome here.

A fucking funeral? WTF just let the man die in peace. Can't he at least have that much?

And your name is Drama Queen? What, did the mods change it to that or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
A fucking funeral? WTF just let the man die in peace. Can't he at least have that much?

And your name is Drama Queen? What, did the mods change it to that or something?
This story has really touched a nerve. People hiding behind the freedoms that our service members secure for them, just to shit on them when they die.

I got it changed a couple years ago.

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Canada is welcome here.

They'll have no place in the world if the shit hits the fan. If you take my meaning.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobles06 View Post
Because he lost the appeal which reversed the decision, So instead of receiving 10mil, has to pay costs.

sounds like this would be a fitting ending to their Church.

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher

Last edited by Avery'sDad; 03-31-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
surprise suprise, another group using God to justify their actions
Sorry, I'm not going to let this slide.

Just because these slimeball assholes have used "God" to justify their actions, doesn't mean it's your chance to take a cheap shot at believers. Please remember that this country was founded on actions justified by religious beliefs. And you can take your communist anti-God anti-US bullshit and shove it up your ass-
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Sorry, I'm not going to let this slide.

Just because these slimeball assholes have used "God" to justify their actions, doesn't mean it's your chance to take a cheap shot at believers. Please remember that this country was founded on actions justified by religious beliefs. And you can take your communist anti-God anti-US bullshit and shove it up your ass-
The God I believe in will smite those protesters one day.

My '03 Sold.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

The follow up

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100331/ts_csm/291560

Washington – A father of a Marine killed in Iraq says he won't pay the legal fees of a protest group who picketed at his son's funeral in 2006 – at least not until he hears from the US Supreme Court on the matter.

Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in Iraq, learned Friday that a federal appeals court is requiring him to pay more than $16,000 in legal fees to the Westboro Baptist Church, a Christian fundamentalist group that demonstrates during military funerals to gain attention for its antigovernment, antihomosexual message. The group rallied at Matthew Snyder’s funeral in March 2006 in Westminster, Md., chanting antigay slogans and carrying signs such as “Thank God for dead soldiers,” says Albert Snyder’s attorney, Sean Summers.

The group was protesting about 30 feet from the church’s main entrance, and Mr. Snyder had to enter through a separate entrance, Mr. Summers says.

Snyder subsequently sued the Westboro group for emotional distress and won a $5 million judgment. But on appeal, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed, finding in favor of protecting the protesters' free-speech rights. About three weeks ago, the Supreme Court agreed to take the case and is expected to hear it in the fall. (Last year, the high court had declined to take up the issue.) Meanwhile, the circuit court has ordered Snyder, a salesman, to pay the church’s court expenses.

Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News on Tuesday that he would not pay the Westboro Baptist Church "until I hear from the Supreme Court."

“It’s fair to say that they are not getting any Christmas cards from Mr. Snyder,” adds Summers, in a phone interview. “He obviously thinks they are despicable and doesn’t understand why they would target him.”

The Westboro group has been protesting at military members’ funerals for years. The church leader, Fred Phelps, preaches that American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality. (He was among those banned from Britain last year for fostering hatred or extremism.) The protests have nothing to do with the fallen service members' sexual orientation, and the church says its protests are held within a “lawful distance” of the funerals.

Ultimately, say some, the church protests are a matter of constitutionally protected free speech.

“I really don’t see that [the protest] was a violation of the First Amendment [principles]. It was a violation of decorum and good taste and all sorts of other things, but not a violation of the First Amendment,” says Charles Gittins, a civilian lawyer in Virginia.

But Summers argues that his client’s right to peaceful assembly and freedom of religion were infringed by the protests and that, unlike at a public park where people are free to express themselves, a funeral setting draws a “captive audience” that requires attendees to be in a particular location – they can’t simply walk away.

Westboro Baptist Church, which is based in Kansas, plans to protest in Florida on Wednesday, outside a funeral for a Marine killed in Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan on March 22.

“Military funerals have become pagan orgies of idolatrous blasphemy, where they pray to the dunghill gods of Sodom and play taps to a fallen fool,” states a press release posted on the church’s website, announcing the rally at a memorial service for Lance Cpl. Justin Wilson. At the bottom of the press release are printed the words “Thank God for IEDs,” referring to the roadside bombs that have killed thousands of troops in both wars.

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Someone needs to find out when they plan one close to TX. Get together a group of Vets with PTSD out there to lay the smack down and then claim mass temporary insanity.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Canada is welcome here.

If they do that shit around here I'll help beat the hell out of them, and then not stick around to be arrested. Then when they go to sue someone, they can try to see who whooped their ass, only to discover that they got an ass whooping by someone they don't know and will never see again.

Quote:

Quote:
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I am pretty sure the cops stay close to them either because they know they would get beat down or because the church hires them as security. I doubt it would be very easy to just give them the hit and run. Although they deserve that and a lot more.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Hmm, might be able to give them a shank and run. Nothing deadly, just a little 2.5 incher or something. Just as you casually walk by or something like that.

Quote:

Quote:
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Lifer

seems like the thing to do would be to protest at their funerals
if one isn't soon, arrange it.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Or walk up to their protest, holding signs that say the same things theirs does, like you are a fellow protester. Then shank. Have your friends help you out so that that more people can get shanked. That would be kinda funny if you ask me.

Quote:

Quote:
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'd not feel bad if people did that and I would not judge them either. I could not imagine burying one of my kids that died in war with those assholes around. I don't know what father could endure that to be honest. I'm not saying a parent should resort to violence towards them, I'm just saying I'd understand for sure if a parent did so.

I get freedom of speech, but do we need to define common decency?

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement