Obama gives away $1.4 million of his Peace Prize - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
I got your Jihad!!

Obama gives away $1.4 million of his Peace Prize

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama plans to donate the $1.4 milllion from his Nobel Peace Prize to helping students, veterans' families and survivors of Haiti's earthquake, among others, drawing attention to organizations he said "do extraordinary work."

Obama is giving a total of $750,000 to six groups that help kids go to college. Fisher's House, which provides housing for families with loved ones at Veterans Administration hospitals, will receive $250,000, the White House said Thursday. And the Bush-Clinton Haiti Fund, for which two former presidents are raising money to rebuild earthquake-ravaged Haiti, will receive $200,000.

The rest of the money will go to an array of other groups.

"These organizations do extraordinary work in the United States and abroad helping students, veterans and countless others in need," Obama said in a statement. "I'm proud to support their work."

Obama was chosen for the Nobel award more for his aspirations and approach than his accomplishments thus far. The Nobel committee honored him for changing the tenor of international politics and for pursuing goals Obama says will require worldwide effort, such as nuclear disarmament and reversing global warming.

Obama himself was surprised by the award, and aides said at the time he would donate the cash prize to charity.

He plans to give $125,000 apiece to groups that help kids go to college: College Summit, a national nonprofit that works with elementary and middle school students to boost college enrollment rates; the Posse Foundation, which gives full college scholarships to public school students who might be overlooked by traditional scholarship programs; United Negro College Fund; the Hispanic Scholarship Fund; the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation; and the American Indian College Fund.

And Obama is donating $100,000 to AfriCare, which funds HIV/AIDS programs, public health programs, water resource development and agriculture in 25 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. He will give $100,000 to the Central Asia Institute, which promotes education for girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Obama accepted his peace prize just days after announcing he was ramping up U.S. involvement in the war in Afghanistan.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
I got your Jihad!!

Thumbs down

figures he would give it to Haiti rather than an American charity.....Why Haiti? Why not Chili or another earthquake ravaged nation? Since when are we Haiti's keeper? Fucking pisses me off!!!

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
T-MINUS

I'd be donating $285,000 to some poor, starving, bad suit wearing, Italian sports car dealership and helping them out with their floor planning struggles.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Lifer

At least he's giving it away. Haiti gets it because they are the cause of 2010 and it will put him back on the cover of Newsweek magazine.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
He plans to give $125,000 apiece to groups that help kids go to college: College Summit, a national nonprofit that works with elementary and middle school students to boost college enrollment rates; the Posse Foundation, which gives full college scholarships to public school students who might be overlooked by traditional scholarship programs; United Negro College Fund; the Hispanic Scholarship Fund; the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation; and the American Indian College Fund.
This tells me all I need to know about what he thinks of white people, Asian-Americans (which frankly I think tend to make good Americans in general), Veterans and in general the middle class. Way to look out for the specialty/"minority" groups as opposed to that which benefits people of all races...etc.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Lifer

He's in a no-win situation. He knows he didn't deserve the award in the first place. He has to do something philanthropic with the money, so he's going to give it out to the causes that get liberals all teary-eyed. He did exactly what I expected with it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
He's in a no-win situation. He knows he didn't deserve the award in the first place. He has to do something philanthropic with the money, so he's going to give it out to the causes that get liberals all teary-eyed. He did exactly what I expected with it.
Plus, it is not like he needs the money anyway.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Frankly, it's his money. He can give it to who ever the fuck he pleases. It was stupid that he got the award in the first place.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement