NCAA yanks Focus on the Family ad amid concerns - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

NCAA yanks Focus on the Family ad amid concerns

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224/...ncaa_ad_pulled

I'm tired of the double standard. If it were Planned Parenthood, they wouldn't have had a problem with airing the ad.

DENVER – Weeks after scoring a publicity coup with a 30-second Super Bowl ad featuring Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, conservative Christian group Focus on the Family is at the center of another marketing tug-of-war — this time involving the major governing body of college sports.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association removed a Focus on the Family banner ad from one of its Web sites this week, NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Wednesday.

The NCAA made the decision after some of its members — including faculty and athletic directors — expressed concern that the evangelical group's stance against gay and lesbian relationships conflicted with the NCAA's policy of inclusion regardless of sexual orientation, Williams said.

The ad in question was not about sexuality. It featured a father holding his son and the words, "All I want for my son is for him to grow up knowing how to do the right thing." Like the Tebow ad, it included the address of Focus on the Family's Web site and the slogan, "Celebrate Family. Celebrate Life."

Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger said that if such material were "all of a sudden labeled hate speech, we have deeper problems in our country than we even know."

Williams said the decision to pull the ad was based not on the message but on the messenger.

Advertisers "should be generally supportive of NCAA values and attributes and/or not be in conflict with the NCAA's mission and fundamental principles," according to NCAA standards. The NCAA may exclude ads or advertisers "that do not appear to be in the best interests of higher education and student athletes."

The NCAA Web site is maintained by CBS Sports, and the ad was part of Focus on the Family's Super Bowl contract with CBS, Schneeberger said. CBS sells ads to support the NCAA.com site — which features information about NCAA championships — and the NCAA reviews the ads, Williams said.

He said the ad was reviewed and the content did not raise any red flags. Williams said he was sure there was some discussion of Focus on the Family, as well, but he did not know the details.

Schneeberger said there is nothing political, controversial or hateful about the ad, saying it's meant to urge people enduring life challenges to check out Focus on the Family as a resource.

But Pat Griffin, a retired University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who is a consultant to the NCAA on gay and lesbian issues, said it's not a generic feel-good message.

She said the slogan's "life" reference is anti-abortion, and celebrating families does not extend to all families but "a very specific kind of family — heterosexual married families. A large part of their energy goes to preventing other kinds of families of having recognition."

Griffin said it's one thing for CBS to accept such an ad, but it's different for the NCAA.

"It's not the right image or role for the NCAA to be endorsing an organization that has such an extreme right-wing Christian political mission," said Griffin, who used her blog to protest the ad.

Schneeberger said Focus on the Family spends 90 percent of its budget on providing parenting and marriage resources and 10 percent on advocacy on issues such as abortion and gay marriage.

The Tebow Super Bowl ad — featuring the football player and his mother — attracted protests even before it aired from women's groups that suspected it would feature an explicit anti-abortion message.

The ad featured Tebow's mother talking about how she nearly lost her son during pregnancy and ended with Tebow tackling his mother and the pair joking they have to be "tough" to endure their trials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Lifer

Good

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Out

Good, my ass! This is just the next step to controlling people's voices over the air. It's ridiculous. You're right, CJD. If it was Planned Parenthood, it would have flown. Even if the cansors tried to stop it, the ACLU would be all over them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Token Troll

Yup...freedom of speech as long as it agrees with the liberal agenda.

That said, the NCAA is obviously run by a punch of pussies.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Good
There should be NO limits on free speech - at all. Not to mention the ad is as non offensive as possible.

The faggots need to grow some thicker skin.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

Last edited by Sean88gt; 03-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD View Post
I'm tired of the double standard. If it were Planned Parenthood, they wouldn't have had a problem with airing the ad.
Uhhhh . . . when exactly have you ever seen a Planned Parenthood commercial on tv???

idiot
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
Uhhhh . . . when exactly have you ever seen a Planned Parenthood commercial on tv???

idiot
I think the key word in his post was "IF."
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post

idiot
1. I said "if"
2. They've aired PLENTY of commercials. Here are a few,

They aired a commercial attacking John McCain during the Presidential Elections

They also aired their own response to the Tim Tebow Super Bowl Ad

So anyways, who's the idiot now, BITCH???

Take your ass to your "troll cave", read a book and try to pour some knowledge into that itty bitty brain of yours.

Get a clue! Get a life! Get it???

PS:I don't normally like to talk shit over the net, but since you started it, I'm inclined to reply as such..
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Pushed to the limit

Hats off to the NCAA for reminding Focus on the Family that their of idea of what is right isn't right for everyone. Those tards spend a lot of time trying to boss hogg their views on to privately held companies that employ thousands of hard working Coloradans.

Preaching to your own flock is one thing but trying to fuck with the paycheck of people who don't give a flying fuck about what you think is right is another.

Buying dogs kills.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
T-MINUS

Wait...blacks that want their kids to get abortions?! Don't they realize the reduction in cheeeeeedda?

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
Hats off to the NCAA for reminding Focus on the Family that their of idea of what is right isn't right for everyone. Those tards spend a lot of time trying to boss hogg their views on to privately held companies that employ thousands of hard working Coloradans.

Preaching to your own flock is one thing but trying to fuck with the paycheck of people who don't give a flying fuck about what you think is right is another.
What the fuck are you talking about?! They are airing a PAID commercial in public. Thet's not forcing shit on anyone. Is Budweiser forcing you to buy a beer with their commercials?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Quote:

Ok, I'm ok with that, but if we're going to do that, then the same must be done when it comes to traditionally liberal groups. You can't turn away right wing groups, and then allow liberal groups to advertise all they want. As I said, they disagree with the policies of the group so they decided to not allow a perfectly harmless ad that had nothing to do with politics.

I just want the same standards all the way around. They have CNN, MSNBC, and the NBC, ABC, and CBS Evening Shows, but they STILL bitch about Fox News...

They have National Public Radio which is government funded, yet still bitch about Talk Radio...

Mainstream TV shows, movies, and celebrities attack Conservatives and Libertarians, but when it's the other way around it's seemingly against the law.

Why can't we get treated the same??
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Whose paychecks are they messing with? Do they have a bad history or something?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:

Tell me, do you believe that truth is absolutely relative?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Tell me, do you believe that truth is absolutely relative?
Truth depends on the source. If that's what you are talking about, then yes, it is relative. I am not here to argue semantics, I am here to tell you why I don't care for FOF.

But Denny, here is what I am talking about when it comes to FOF trying to be a bully. Their headquarters is in Colorado Springs (which isn't a huge town) and they have a gigantic following down there. They go to companies who they feel engage in practices that aren't in line with what FOF preaches and they threaten them. They threaten boycotts and they go so far as to lean on companies that do business with the targeted company. So if I own a company and FOF doesn't like what I do, they will lean on my landlord, my suppliers and anyone else who helps me do business. If my landlord and suppliers have ties to FOF, I could be in trouble.

The company I work for has a lot of clout and way too many resources to worry about FOF but that didn't stop them from trying to chase us out of Colorado Springs. And that town really can't afford the loss of jobs. They have already cut garbage collection at public parks and open space and are looking at cutting a lot of other public services.

So when anyone gives FOF the finger, it amuses me. If Planned Parenthood did what FOF does, I would have the same problem with them.

Buying dogs kills.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Truth depends on the source. If that's what you are talking about, then yes, it is relative. I am not here to argue semantics, I am here to tell you why I don't care for FOF.

But Denny, here is what I am talking about when it comes to FOF trying to be a bully. Their headquarters is in Colorado Springs (which isn't a huge town) and they have a gigantic following down there. They go to companies who they feel engage in practices that aren't in line with what FOF preaches and they threaten them. They threaten boycotts and they go so far as to lean on companies that do business with the targeted company. So if I own a company and FOF doesn't like what I do, they will lean on my landlord, my suppliers and anyone else who helps me do business. If my landlord and suppliers have ties to FOF, I could be in trouble.

The company I work for has a lot of clout and way too many resources to worry about FOF but that didn't stop them from trying to chase us out of Colorado Springs. And that town really can't afford the loss of jobs. They have already cut garbage collection at public parks and open space and are looking at cutting a lot of other public services.

So when anyone gives FOF the finger, it amuses me. If Planned Parenthood did what FOF does, I would have the same problem with them.
That's funny, I'm from Colorado Springs and never had any involvement with them..

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
That's funny, I'm from Colorado Springs and never had any involvement with them..
It's not funny if you have to deal with them.

They have been around since the 70's and have an operating budget of over $125 millions dollars. They have a big campus of 4 buildings on the north side of town off of Briargate. They make the local new quite a bit.

Buying dogs kills.

Last edited by PWTRTXSS; 03-06-2010 at 04:51 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD View Post
I just want the same standards all the way around. They have CNN, MSNBC, and the NBC, ABC, and CBS Evening Shows, but they STILL bitch about Fox News...

They have National Public Radio which is government funded, yet still bitch about Talk Radio...

Mainstream TV shows, movies, and celebrities attack Conservatives and Libertarians, but when it's the other way around it's seemingly against the law.

Why can't we get treated the same??

Technically, we are treated the same. Because as much as those pathetic pussies cry, bitch, and complain, it's not actually against the law. They can make it seem any way that they want. But that will never change the fact that it will never be against the law. Not as long as this is the United states, anyway. If if ever does become against the law, then the United states is dead. Cause free speech is pretty much the soul of the U.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Out

Quote:

So, you're disagreeing with their bullying and business tactics, right? What does that have to do with the commercial they want to air? They're not going to gain anything from it, other than broadcast their message to the country, if not the world. I think if anything, you'd want that. Sounds like this Colorado Springs office is so focused on this little town, that working on spreading their purpose worldwide would occupy them more instead of beating up on the little Planned Parenthood nuthuggers there.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
It's not funny if you have to deal with them.

They have been around since the 70's and have an operating budget of over $125 millions dollars. They have a big campus of 4 buildings on the north side of town off of Briargate. They make the local new quite a bit.
I'm familar with the organization, just never dealt with them. My company was located on Cascade/Fontanero, east of Fillmore hill about a mile.

Still have family up there. Uncle works for the city, other uncle works for Compassion Intl/Memorial Hospital.

Briargate is north of Chapel Hills (is that mall even still in operation?), correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement