Your thoughts on the troop pull out? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Your thoughts on the troop pull out?

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the troop pull out, do you think it is time??? is it to early??? how do you feel about the use of small Advisor teams replacing larger units/ simular to the MACV system toward the end of Viet Nam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Out

Ya... I think now is as good a time as any. There's nothing more for us to do. We're just babysitting now. I was in a meeting with the State Department about arrangements to convert this base into another Embassey and turn the rest over to the Iraqi military. We're doing about one base a quarter, currently and it seems to be going well. Efforts can be focused more on Afghanistan now, where it is really needed. I'm already getting the, "When are you coming over?" from people there.

I've been out here for most of the duration of OIF and can definately see improvements. We did a good thing out here. It's time to go. I'm still debating on Afghanistan, though. I tried to leave here several times, only to wind up back in this shit hole. The money is good and the drive to complete the mission is addictive.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Lifer

bring them home.

RON PAUL '08

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
bring them home.
Now that the mission is completed...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce four View Post
Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the troop pull out, do you think it is time??? is it to early??? how do you feel about the use of small Advisor teams replacing larger units/ simular to the MACV system toward the end of Viet Nam.
You didn't specify a theater of operations...

Assuming you mean Iraq, I think we can start a steady draw down.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I miss Colorado

wait what?

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
blank

We need most of our troops in Afghanistan. I've been going there since 05 and every year it's getting more and more dangerous. Now days Iraq is were the troops go for r&r.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Lifer

Start pulling them out. Nothing major left to do in Iraq.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Time Served

I have a close friend in the Army who was just over there. The pull out is a bunch of political non sense. They just moved the base 10 miles out of town. They didn't actually take any troops out of the country.....

It's sort of like when you tell a girl you don't need a rubber because you are gonna "pull out," but then you forget to do it because it feels so awesome.....

It's all smoke and mirrors people. Stop believing anything politicians say before it's too late.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I have a close friend in the Army who was just over there. The pull out is a bunch of political non sense. They just moved the base 10 miles out of town. They didn't actually take any troops out of the country.....

It's sort of like when you tell a girl you don't need a rubber because you are gonna "pull out," but then you forget to do it because it feels so awesome.....

It's all smoke and mirrors people. Stop believing anything politicians say before it's too late.
Of course we'll never pull out completely, hell we're still in Kosovo. But we're not a major presence.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

just wanted to get a few opinions, as a multiple tour vet, i feel a draw down isnt right at this time, they have no local govt, we have gotten most of the corruption out of the army, byt the police are still a shit sandwich. i feel the small Combat Advisor teams we are training now are a step in the right direction, but still if we leave now, all we have done is put a snoopy band aid on a sucking chest wound.... i for one have been to Iraq a few times, i am now a dissabled vet, i still serve for the next few months till my MED board is finished, i have lost 36 friends, not just guys i knew, but friends i knew at and off work. if we leave nowwe will be back soon, this problem stems from the british colonialising a bunch of nomadic people and leaving before they got the govt set up, my opinion it is cheaper and better to fix it the first time so you dont have to do it over and over...
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Wolverines!!!

Something like 9 out of the 13 provinces were already in Iraqi hands when I got out, I'm sure the numbers have gone up. Iraq is well on its way to the point where they have to make a stand on their own. Afghanistan on the other hand is a whole different story.

What pisses me off is Obama is going to take credit for ending the war in Iraq when it had basically wound itself down by the time he announced troop withdrawals anyways.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Out

Quote:

One little base doesn't necessarily reflect the whole theatre. Most are leaving.

LOL... smoke and mirrors
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Out

Quote:
just wanted to get a few opinions, as a multiple tour vet, i feel a draw down isnt right at this time, they have no local govt, we have gotten most of the corruption out of the army, byt the police are still a shit sandwich. i feel the small Combat Advisor teams we are training now are a step in the right direction, but still if we leave now, all we have done is put a snoopy band aid on a sucking chest wound.... i for one have been to Iraq a few times, i am now a dissabled vet, i still serve for the next few months till my MED board is finished, i have lost 36 friends, not just guys i knew, but friends i knew at and off work. if we leave nowwe will be back soon, this problem stems from the british colonialising a bunch of nomadic people and leaving before they got the govt set up, my opinion it is cheaper and better to fix it the first time so you dont have to do it over and over...
You're a little off in your assessment. It's not perfect, but it is better than when we got here. At this point, the only improvements to be made are by the Iraqis themselves.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Lifer

Thats the problem with the US Govt and the American people...we try to impose our beliefs and customs on countries that have been living this way for centuries...our idea of better doesnt necessarily reflect theirs. I have seen this first hand from when I served over there and in Africa. People just dont give a shit. I am totally against the way we fight wars nowadays. When you fight someone, you kick their ass and take what you want and leave. This nation-building with the tax-payers money is getting old. But, the course has been set and to leave too early will likely make this entire mission all for naught. What was the mission exactly?
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Fuck those motherfuckers. We don't need to shed any more blood for them, or send any more cash their way.

Give me a dollar.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
One little base doesn't necessarily reflect the whole theatre. Most are leaving.

LOL... smoke and mirrors
That little base was Baghdad...... It's a real first hand account from a guy pretty high up in logistics.... they actually move the crap.

It's not some 3rd hand account from some politician trying to make you feel better about the gaping wound in our collective economic ass.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Out

Quote:
That little base was Baghdad...... It's a real first hand account from a guy pretty high up in logistics.... they actually move the crap.

It's not some 3rd hand account from some politician trying to make you feel better about the gaping wound in our collective economic ass.
That little base was NOT Baghdad, maybe one of the MANY bases in Baghdad. Which one? Is it first-hand when you type it on here?
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Thats the problem with the US Govt and the American people...we try to impose our beliefs and customs on countries that have been living this way for centuries...our idea of better doesnt necessarily reflect theirs. I have seen this first hand from when I served over there and in Africa. People just dont give a shit. I am totally against the way we fight wars nowadays. When you fight someone, you kick their ass and take what you want and leave. This nation-building with the tax-payers money is getting old. But, the course has been set and to leave too early will likely make this entire mission all for naught. What was the mission exactly?
EXACTLY! I give it 10 years and that shit hole will be right back where it was, probably with someone worse than saddam. Atleast with saddam we had kicked his ass enough that he learned his lesson. Now we will have to do it all over again at some point with the new HNIC. Iraq was total and complete bullshit, war of "convenience". Old jackass rumsfield with his "Iraq has WMD and we know where they are" ...fucking liar.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
EXACTLY! I give it 10 years and that shit hole will be right back where it was, probably with someone worse than saddam. Atleast with saddam we had kicked his ass enough that he learned his lesson. Now we will have to do it all over again at some point with the new HNIC. Iraq was total and complete bullshit, war of "convenience". Old jackass rumsfield with his "Iraq has WMD and we know where they are" ...fucking liar.
Some people never learn...

/shakes head
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Bullet Sponge

We shouldn't pull out. Leave that to the enemies to do. The only thing we should be interested in pulling out of is a parking lot.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
We shouldn't pull out. Leave that to the enemies to do. The only thing we should be interested in pulling out of is a parking lot.
We definately don't need to stay in this capacity, which is what is being implied here.

I'm still LOLing at the people doubting there WAS a threat!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Time Served

Quote:
We definately don't need to stay in this capacity, which is what is being implied here.

I'm still LOLing at the people doubting there WAS a threat!
What was the direct threat to the US? I must have missed it along with the US Intel people.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Out

Quote:
What was the direct threat to the US? I must have missed it along with the US Intel people.
The threat that was to our intrests and allies? He WAS housing large quantities of chemical warfare. He supported our immediate threats (financially, materialistically, logistically and potentially personnel-wise). We stopped many future innocent casualties just waiting to happen and imminent threat to people within his borders. Just because we didn't wait until something tragic happened (again), doesn't mean the proactive moves were unwarranted. I've been here since just about the beginning and I'd be the first to cry foul if this mission didn't serve a purpose.

Did you draw a different conclusion from your first-hand experience out here?
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Time Served

Quote:
The threat that was to our intrests and allies? He WAS housing large quantities of chemical warfare. He supported our immediate threats (financially, materialistically, logistically and potentially personnel-wise). We stopped many future innocent casualties just waiting to happen and imminent threat to people within his borders. Just because we didn't wait until something tragic happened (again), doesn't mean the proactive moves were unwarranted. I've been here since just about the beginning and I'd be the first to cry foul if this mission didn't serve a purpose.

Did you draw a different conclusion from your first-hand experience out here?
oh theres no doubt saddam was a POS, i just dont think the US should bear all the loss and effort to remove him. If the UN didnt see the need to remove him then fine, no reason for us to do it for them. Not like he had any ability to attack the US directly. He was a broke ass dictator barely hanging on to what was left after we kicked his ass out of kuwait.

I thought we were there to get WMD, which we told they had but never turned up. Would have been great if we werent bullshitting the world and they actually turned up. We could have made everyone look like dipshits but we know how that went!

Honestly, i dont give a shit about those countries or people over there. If they really wanted a peaceful life they would do it themselves, ya know, like the US did.

Funny how some of you guys on here say that american people need to "better themselves" and take responsibilty but yet its perfectly ok to go get our people killed and blow trillions of dollars helping non-americans do things they should do for themselves.

Instead they will kill their own family members for following a "slightly" different version of the same religion. Then there is also that piece of paper than specifically says not to get involved in nation building.

Maybe im just old fashioned?

and no, im not in the military but my cousin is a marine and was in fallujah.

Last edited by Slammy; 02-26-2010 at 02:07 AM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Out

Or maybe just misinformed...

He DID have chemicals and had the intent to use it. He was also a growing problem, not just a problem. If we handled all of our problems like this (nipping it in the butt before it gets too big), then we wouldn't have hardly anything to worry about. It's just sad that it takes tragedy to get most people to want to take action... almost always AFTER something has happened. They call that "too late."

Once again I ask, what in your experience out in Iraq led you to believe there was no threat?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Or maybe just misinformed...

He DID have chemicals and had the intent to use it. He was also a growing problem, not just a problem. If we handled all of our problems like this (nipping it in the butt before it gets too big), then we wouldn't have hardly anything to worry about. It's just sad that it takes tragedy to get most people to want to take action... almost always AFTER something has happened. They call that "too late."

Once again I ask, what in your experience out in Iraq led you to believe there was no threat?

Yes im not the in military, you can stop with the condescending question. Ive read from plenty of military people who say the opposite of your thinking so its not like your opinion is law. Lots of countries are threats, you suggest that even though there is no war we should go start one with every country that doesnt like us? And how do you expect us to pay for such a privilege?

You mean those chemicals left over from the war with iran? He has had that stuff a very long time, i dont consider that a direct threat to the US. To his own people, sure, but they arent americans last i checked. I think we were talking nukes and whatnot, seems the media had people believing you could just run down to the local blackmarket and pick up a couple of nukes real quick.

It takes developed nations, tons of money and years to build one bomb. Then there is delivery which is what most lack.

And the one thing that gives me comfort, iran gets 1-2 nukes with no missles that can reach the US by a long shot...big fucking deal. We got what? 1500? Theres a reason the cold war never went hot.

None of those shithole countries are a threat to the US. We should be concerned about russia and def china if you want to worry about something.

Me? I dont worry about what COULD happen, i just deal with the shit when people bring it to me. Id go in insane otherwise, i COULD die in a car wreck tomorrow!

My thinkings is kinda how the US was before WW2. We were an unassuming productive nation, we may have looked like pussies and well, japan found out how wrong they were. As quoted by yamato after pearl harbor "We have awoken the sleeping giant"
He knew they fucked up by messing with us and we were a non hostile nation at the time.

Should have went right back to doing what we were doing, being productive, ensuring happiness for the american people and IF the shit comes back, we will deal with it just like we did in WW2.

Ever listened to Eisenhowers farewell speech? He was a great military man as im sure you know but listen to what he says about trying to be the worlds police force.

Last edited by Slammy; 02-26-2010 at 02:47 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Out

LMAO! Have you learned nothing from history? Let's just take another "kick-back" approach like pre-WWII and invite another Pearl Harbor... wait,m we already did that in 2001! Now you're saying we should do that again?

I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to confront our threats early and away from our families.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Out

BTW, there were several "older" chems and some newer ones that couldn't have been around for the Iraq/Iran conflict. There were also shipping invoices found. I'll take my hands-on experience over your perspective any day. I guess you shose not to read my live updates in 2004 and 2005.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Time Served

Quote:
LMAO! Have you learned nothing from history? Let's just take another "kick-back" approach like pre-WWII and invite another Pearl Harbor... wait,m we already did that in 2001! Now you're saying we should do that again?

I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to confront our threats early and away from our families.
Im pretty sure i know alot more about military history than most. Honestly my big thing is the military equipment, modern shit is so boring. I spend hours reading about this stuff.

Anyways japan attacked the US, they were totally and completely defeated, they got nuked for christs sake. Lets see they got 2,300 people at pearl. We ended up killing 1.75 million of the little bastards for what they did. They were labeled as horrible backstabbing pieces of shit by the world aswell for attacking a neutral nation like they did.

9/11....the terrorists, who have no country BTW, killed 3000 people, we have sacrificed what, 4000 is it up to? Plus all the shit tons of money spent. Afganistan was fair game, they were harboring the fucks but iraq? They didnt attack the US, im sure saddam would jump with joy at the idea but you cant be a broke dick mofo and expect to start a war with the US. And after all this, Bin laden and that egyptian fucker are still loose.

So do i think the US mentality of WW2 is better? Fuck yes! We dont start shit but we sure as shit finish it! Fuck with us and DIE!

After WW2, the world was scared shitless of the US. We fucked up by going into korea, to play police man, and didnt finish. Then we went into vietnam, same shit and now here we are, same fucking shit again. Hell we havent "won" a war since ww2 to be honest and ya know why? Russia and china was always backing our enemies and we didnt dare do anything about the real enemy which is why this shit is still going on.

While you are all gungho about fighting everybodys wars, america is going bankrupt and losing its position in the world to what will probably become its next biggest threat. Gonna be a funny situation, cant exactly borrow money to fight the war from the enemy can we?

So nope, not scared at all of being attacked. Because i have faith in our military which is made up of people that love their country and the happiness it brings them vs the shitholes from whatever country that would attack the US. Yes, this includes you with your dickhead attitude LOL.

Keep in mind, im not antimilitary at all. And i think disrepecting soldiers is a very shitty thing to do. Im pissed off at the gub'ment for not thinking more before sending our people into a shitty situation.

Last edited by Slammy; 02-26-2010 at 03:23 AM.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Time Served

Quote:
BTW, there were several "older" chems and some newer ones that couldn't have been around for the Iraq/Iran conflict. There were also shipping invoices found. I'll take my hands-on experience over your perspective any day. I guess you shose not to read my live updates in 2004 and 2005.
Sweet, how they gonna get it to the US? Carrier pigeons? Where were the reciepts from, i heard something once about france. Are we gonna invade france again?!

If they found a legit reason, why didnt they come out and show the world? In our country it is, innocent until proven guilty. Proof would have been GREAT! Why would they hide something like that? Dont wanna sell out saddams dealers?

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Out

Quote:
Sweet, how they gonna get it to the US? Carrier pigeons? Where were the reciepts from, i heard something once about france. Are we gonna invade france again?!

If they found a legit reason, why didnt they come out and show the world? In our country it is, innocent until proven guilty. Proof would have been GREAT! Why would they hide something like that? Dont wanna sell out saddams dealers?
Ugh... here I go explaining everything again isatead of making you do a search.

Invoices were from all over the world, including the US. Most were industrialized chemicals with the same properties that are used in chemical warefare. How else do you think they got it with the sanctions that were currently imposed. Welcome to the world of unconventional terrorism.

As for not coming out with the information, I can't explain that one. Most of what I identified, contained, collected and shipped was found during the heat of the Bush/Kerry election. My reports would have made it a landslide. Bush almost lost his ass, though 9mainly because of the "lack of WMDs). The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't the glamorous "big name" shit that everyone was expecting, but I guarantee you that these carry out the same effects.

Proof was there. Pics and reports were made. My job was done. The mission was successful. The world is a better place.

/end thread
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Lifer

Slammy,
I didnt read the shitstorm between you and Denny, but where are you getting your info from? Trust me when I tell you that what the American public knows about stuff like this is completely different from reality. We are given only the info that they want us to have and it is spun to have a certain political light. I have been where Denny is during the first gulf war and know this firsthand. Sadam was a threat...not directly, but through state-sponsored terrorism. US control of the region also stabilizes our economy via oil guarantees. We will see in the coming years how much we stand to gain (or lose) from this "war"...
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Lifer

I knew this was where this one would end up.....
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Bullet Sponge

We shouldn't have stuck around to clean it up. We should have gone in there, leveled it and handed it off to the UN for rebuilding and said "Earn the billions we pay you."
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
duh...duh....duh

Man, this thread just proves how the media really fucks up the general US population's view of reality.

Denny, lets hope our Dinar pays off one day.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement