Laptops issued to school kids have reverse web cam technology - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Laptops issued to school kids have reverse web cam technology

Do they even sell laptops anymore without a web cam built in them? This is a interesting story. http://boingboing.net/2010/02/17/sch...d-student.html
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/com...ying/?cs=39536

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Out

Surely you can't believe THAT one?!?!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Of course not, and your phone can't be used as a microphone either to spy on you! If this technology was available surely they would announce it on the news.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Out

Man... they so got you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Man... they so got you.
Can you help me? You have some military grade foil I can borrow? They're penetrating my standard issue Reynolds wrap.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Out

Something tells me you're going to be overlooked.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
duh...duh....duh

Look, they are school issued laptops and it's not like it is anything new. Hell a dude thought his webcam was off when he was in a video conference for a multi billion dollar meeting, started spanking and got fired for it. Counter-sued and made some bank.

Anyway, nothing they say is anything uber exciting. This all could be done, but *I* would suspect it was a rogue type administrator that is bored. Not something sanctioned by the school. The principle participated in it...

Of course, any device with a camera in it could be used incorrectly. What I'm saying is the news reports don't tell us dick. They indicate it is wide spread but only talk about 1 family. It is very possible the kid incriminated himself.

Simply not enough information.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 PM
PAN

Makes me want to put tape over my built in camera when I bust one out.

But then again fuck 'em. Wanna watch my O face, have fun...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Surely you can't believe THAT one?!?!
Had the tv on today (first time in a month). guess what was on the news. This story. Believe it now?

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Out

TV? Ya, I believe it now!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
Had the tv on today (first time in a month). guess what was on the news. This story. Believe it now?
You don't question it at all? I've read 3-4 articles on it and it all seems to be sensationalism to me. 0 technical details are provided that would actually answer what happened. They just indicate it is school officials spying via those cameras.

Edit: I'm with you if this really happened. I know from a technical point of view (not a conspiracy view) how to make it happen and how it could be made to happen. However, I also know that it would take some level of skill to make happen. I still have not seen it mentioned anywhere that the state/city/borough/township approved this action.

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
You don't question it at all? I've read 3-4 articles on it and it all seems to be sensationalism to me. 0 technical details are provided that would actually answer what happened. They just indicate it is school officials spying via those cameras.
Teeeeeeeeee Veeeeeeeeeee!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

looks real to me

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ho...bcam_case.html

Federal prosecutors have subpoenaed the Lower Merion School District for documents related to the controversial use of remote-control cameras on students' school-issued computers, The Inquirer has learned.

The grand jury subpoena, delivered yesterday, asked for a broad range of records related to the so-called webcams and the security system that district officials used to activate them, said a lawyer who had been briefed about the matter. He spoke on the condition of anonymity.

School district spokesman Douglas Young said he could not comment last night when asked whether such a subpoena had been received. Philadelphia FBI spokesman J.J. Klaver cited the agency's policy of not confirming or denying any pending investigation.

Word of the subpoena came as the elite suburban school district, through Young, conceded that "notice should have been given" to families that the district's computer system would snap photos of school laptop users - even in children's homes - if the laptops were reported missing or stolen.

School technicians have activated that system 42 times this school year when the district's laptops were reported missing or stolen, Young said. He said parents and students should have been told clearly of the policy in advance.

Young said the district had hired former federal prosecutor Henry E. Hockeimer Jr. to "provide a comprehensive review of past practices and policies, as well as assist us in implementing appropriate improvements."

The district's statements grew out of a lawsuit that has prompted headlines across the country: a Penn Valley family's claim, filed Tuesday in federal court, that Harriton High School's assistant principal had confronted a 15-year-old son with a photo taken by the security system on his school-issued laptop when he was using it at home.

"There was no specific notification given that described the security feature," Young said. "That notice should have been given, and we regret not giving it. That . . . was a significant mistake."

Starting last school year, the district assigned laptops to most of its 2,300 high school students and allowed them to take them home. The initiative was designed to enhance the use of technology by students and to give students who did not have computers at home access to them.

Young said he did not know whether the district had crafted a written policy outlining how the security system was to be used, what would trigger the webcam, and how its findings would be handled.

He said only two "technical department" administrators were able to access the security system, but added: "There is an essential need to clarify the procedures and specify the process of what should happen."

Virginia DiMedio, the district's technology director until she retired last summer, said she recalled no discussions about what to tell families about the security system, and how and when it would be used.

Meanwhile, as federal prosecutors were issuing their subpoena, Montgomery County prosecutors were reviewing allegations in the suit for possible evidence of violations of wiretap or privacy laws.

District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman said yesterday: "We're going to be looking into the situation to see if a criminal investigation is warranted."

The suit alleges that in November, the Harriton assistant principal confronted sophomore Blake Robbins with a photo of what school officials saw as the boy's "improper activity" - taken by the webcam of his school-issued laptop in his home.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement