Listening to Robert Gates Live(Quadrennial Defense Review) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Out

Listening to Robert Gates Live(Quadrennial Defense Review)

He and Obama are cutting production of any more C-17s and JSFs. Also the alternate engine plan in the current JSFs. No biggie, though. JSFs are poor performers and we have plenty of C-17s. Sounds like several defense projects are getting hacked today as well. So far, nothing he named is recognized by me (I guess that's a good sign). $159B to Iraq and Afghanistan, but he didn't specify what goes where and I seriously doubt it's general funding. He did say the majority will be used in Afghanistan. All in all, nothing too alarming for the American people or our military. The budget was cut (sounds just slightly) and I see no damage to missions, as far aswhat is being said here.

He is not recognizing that we have any current war operations, which is interesting as it allows the US to bail quicker. Hmmm... something might come of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Out

More MRAPs for the CENTCOM AOR and MRAP ATVs

What the hell is a MRAP ATV?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

http://www.defense-update.com/featur...ture_matv.html

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/defens...~matv~home.cfm

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
not exclude

Quote:

A smaller faster version of the MRAP.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Out

Nice!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Here is the Terminations, Reductions, and Savings sheet for the President's budget request. The JSF alternate engine is listed as being terminated but there is nothing for the JSF itself. Gates has made it very clear that he is on board with the JSF. I see nothing saying reducing the procurement numbers for the JSF.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...assets/trs.pdf

BTW, what is the status on the F-22? Is it still alive? Obama's budget request doesn't have it listed on reductions or terminations. I know Gates wanted production ended, what was the final say on that?

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Out

The JSF production is not going to be extended and the alternative engines have been hacked. I think the F-22s were hacked prior to this QDR.

Boy, missle defense looks like it'll be pretty much cruched. They're basing it on perception and hopes for diplomacy. LMFAO!!! We'll never learn.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
The JSF production is not going to be extended and the alternative engines have been hacked. I think the F-22s were hacked prior to this QDR.

Boy, missle defense looks like it'll be pretty much cruched. They're basing it on perception and hopes for diplomacy. LMFAO!!! We'll never learn.
I wouldn't worry about JSF being extended. They have barely started building them and Obama will be gone when an extension is actually needed. IMO he's just punting on that one, which, in this case, is ok..

EDIT: Also, since there is little risk of the JSF's production line shutting down anytime in the near future due to all the overseas customers that are waiting on their fighters.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Out

Increase in rotary capabilities and unmanned/electronic warfare. They are still staying with a strong reform stance, but it'll be nothing like the Clinton years.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
We're not very good about figuring out where/when we're going to be fighting wars in the future, so we need to budget accordingly
Finally, some common sense! LMFAO!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
T-MINUS

How long until we start seeing those in rap videos?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Out

One of Gate's staff said they are setting aside $5b just in case they need to look into the JSF engines in the future. I bet they wait to see how many JSFs our allies buy.

Holy fuck! They're recommending that they lower the proposed military pay raise! Damn shame.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Out

FY 2011 option to transfer funds to close Guantanamo. Nothing for 2010. When did Obama say originally?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Out

This is really interesting. They're also decribing current fleet/aircraft shifts and retirements.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
How long until we start seeing those in rap videos?
boats and hoes, bitch. you don't want none
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
One of Gate's staff said they are setting aside $5b just in case they need to look into the JSF engines in the future. I bet they wait to see how many JSFs our allies buy.

Holy fuck! They're recommending that they lower the proposed military pay raise! Damn shame.
That should boost moral and wipe out any military support Obama has.

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
That should boost moral and wipe out any military support Obama has.
Nothing says "We value your position and the job you do" like salary cuts.

With all this "spending freeze" shit he demanded, I wonder if his cunt wife has let go of any of the 23 assistants she has (most in history, by far, btw).
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
blank

The next BRAC is 2012. I wonder how many bases they are going to close.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post

With all this "spending freeze" shit he demanded, I wonder if his cunt wife has let go of any of the 23 assistants she has (most in history, by far, btw).
He hands high paying jobs out to friends like they're everywhere, then cuts what is truly vital. Fucking asshole.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Time Served

Quote:

The Military has received a raise of 3.9% in 2009 and 3.4% in 2010, I am not going to complain if it's lower for 2011. I am all for making more money but I will take a cut to see better armored vehicles for the battlefield.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think anyone is getting a salary cut. Just not as much of a raise in 2011.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
The next BRAC is 2012. I wonder how many bases they are going to close.
Guam is expanding their Air and Naval bases. They host rotating B2 and B52 squadrons.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenCobra View Post
The Military has received a raise of 3.9% in 2009 and 3.4% in 2010, I am not going to complain if it's lower for 2011. I am all for making more money but I will take a cut to see better armored vehicles for the battlefield.
The funding is there for that already. These are just cuts to lower the deficit. In other words, nothing but a lower deficit is benefiting from this.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Lifer

Surely, nobody here is surprised.

Obama promised cuts. This is where the Democrats always cut spending. The one place where America needs it the most.

pussificatiOWN3D.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Token Troll

Ouch!
Quote:
Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Monday fired the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program manager, saying someone must be held accountable for the program’s delays and cost overruns.

News of the dismissal of Marine Corps Maj. Gen. David R. Heinz came at the beginning of a media briefing about the fiscal 2011 defense budget, released a short time earlier. The proposed budget, which must be approved by Congress, includes $10.7 billion for 43 F-35s.

“To now move forward in this program in a realistic way, one cannot absorb the additional costs that we have in this program and the delays without people being held accountable,” Gates told reporters at the briefing, televised live on The Pentagon Channel. “If I have set one tone here at the Department of Defense — when things go wrong, people will be held accountable.”

Gates did not name a replacement for Heinz but did say he will upgrade the position from a two-star billet to a three-star billet. A Pentagon spokesman did not know if the program’s deputy manager, Air Force Maj. Gen. C.D. Moore, will take over in an acting role.

In addition to firing Heinz, Gates announced the Defense Department is withholding $614 million in performance fees from the F-35’s lead maker, Lockheed Martin. The company will not oppose the action, he said.

Late last year, an internal Pentagon report showed the new stealth fighter was so far behind schedule that DoD would have to spend as much as $16.6 billion to get its largest weapons program back on track. At that time, Pentagon acquisitions chief Ashton Carter told Lockheed Martin officials that the company would have to help pay the cost overruns.

The Annual Report of the Pentagon’s Director of Operation Test and Evaluation, released in January, showed the F-35 program flew only 16 of the 168 test flights scheduled for 2009. The test flights could not be flown due to delays in aircraft deliveries, which set the program back another year.
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/20...y_f35_020110w/

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Out

The Heed better get its shit together. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement