Do you think our military is overpaid? - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: I believe that...
...our military is overpaid compared to their civilian equivalent. 2 2.00%
...our military is paid fairly. 18 18.00%
...our military is not paid enough. 80 80.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Do you think our military is overpaid?

Apparently the Comptroller General and his Government Accountability Office do. I got this from a newsletter sent out by the Military Officer's Association of America (MOAA), thought I would share and get your responses.

Quote:
GAO Seeks MOAA Input On Military Pay

For the last decade, MOAA and The Military Coalition (TMC) have led successful efforts to make up most of the 13.5% “military pay gap” that was a big factor in the retention problems of the late 1990s.

In the FY2010 Defense Authorization Act approved last year, the House and Senate Armed Services Committees accepted the recommendation by MOAA and the TMC for a 3.4% military pay raise for 2010 (vs. the 2.9% proposed in the defense budget) to reduce the remaining gap to 2.4%.

Now that budgets have gotten tighter, some have questioned (as the same groups did while military pay raises were capped below private sector pay growth repeatedly in the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s) whether any pay gap exists.

The Defense Department says there isn’t one, and that their new pay comparability objective – putting each grade/longevity combination at or above the 70th percentile of similarly educated civilians – has been achieved.

The Congressional Budget Office recently issued a report asserting that, with housing allowances improvements over the last decade, military people are now about 10% overpaid compared to their private sector counterparts.

MOAA couldn’t disagree more, telling GAO that we need a more transparent system to assess who the appropriate civilian comparison population is, and what the percentile should be, given that the military:

* Recruits from the top half of the civilian aptitude population
* Finds that only about 25% of America’s youth qualify for entry
* Requires career-long education and training advancement
* Enforces a competitive “up-or-out” promotion system
* Imposes severe limits on personal freedoms (e.g., not being able to quit when you want; risking a felony conviction for refusing an order)

Both military pay and allowance principles and service conditions have changed dramatically since development of the Regular Military Compensation (RMC) in the 1960s as the “military equivalent of civilian salary” -- including the value of the federal tax advantage military people receive because their housing and food allowances aren’t taxable.

In the 1960s, all members received the same allowances, regardless of location. Now we’ve turned housing allowances into true reimbursements for housing costs, reflecting actual costs by locality.

Using RMC to assess comparability in today’s environment, basic pay – the single most important military compensation element and the only one that drives such important things as retired pay and reenlistment bonuses – would have to “flex” to accommodate other changes. Because housing and food allowances are now tied to external measures of housing and food costs, and tax rates are determined independently, maintaining a specific RMC total would require bending basic pay to fit whatever amount is left after setting tax and allowance amounts.

Current law says the military should receive a 1.4% raise for 2011. But what if average housing costs (because of disproportional changes in some localities) and tax rates (and thus the value of the tax advantage) both rose significantly? Under the CBO comparison methodology, maintaining a “target comparability” RMC could require reducing basic pay. Would it really make sense to tell military people, in essence, “Your taxes went up, so we have to freeze or cut your basic pay (and future retired pay)?”

Most important, compensation isn’t what you’re paid. It’s what you’re paid divided by what’s required of you to earn that pay. If we increase pay 25% but require 100% more sacrifice to earn it, that’s not a pay raise.

Today’s troops are encountering burdens of sacrifice that were never envisioned 35 years ago by the crafters of the all-volunteer force and the pay and allowances system. Thousands of today’s troops have borne cumulative combat deployment time that exceeds the total length of World War II.

The current pay comparability formula proposes a 1.4% military pay raise in 2010 – the smallest in almost 50 years – even while we’ll be ordering thousands to a third, fourth or fifth combat tour, incurring ever-increasing risks that they will come back changed, perhaps for the rest of their lives.

Overpaid? Any calculation yielding that result is a wrong one.
http://www.moaa.org/lac/lac_issues/l...122.htm#issue2
exlude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
No, our military servicemen & servicewomen are underpaid.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Full tilt boogie !!
 
Txstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: out yonder way
Posts: 10,208
How do you put a price on your life? That's what they risk when they sign on the dotted line.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.


Txstang1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
KEK
 
f0ur sixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Garland/Tucson
Posts: 4,617
4.5 years of service, without a deployment last year, I made just under 25K. Just to give an idea.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
f0ur sixer is offline  
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ur sixer View Post
4.5 years of service, without a deployment last year, I made just under 25K. Just to give an idea.
That is just fucking unacceptable. I mean, really, that's fucked up!

68 Coupe- 351w, Twisted Wedge heads, XE284 cam, T5, disc conversion, former 6 cylinder car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
(thats right, in a fucking duel with guns, Jackson allowed his oppenent to fucking shoot at him before shooting back). Now we have Obama, who is a little bitch. God damn the presidency of the US is just not the same as it used to be.
351Coupe is offline  
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
blank
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the Air
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ur sixer View Post
4.5 years of service, without a deployment last year, I made just under 25K. Just to give an idea.
When i was active duty i use to make 530$ every 2 weeks, single in the dooms. Now i do the same job as a civilian for the Guard and make 5 times that.
5.0LiterRiceEater is offline  
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington/Lejune
Posts: 768
As an active duty marine I can tell you we are underpaid. I live comfortable but not by much and that is only because I am married and that gives me about an extra 1000 a month on top of my base pay you really don't start making decent money untill your at least an e-5 and married. Its kinda depressing watching civilians make more then I do and all they do is sit on base and do paperwork like give us our base registration stickers or print out new id cards. I don't mean to sound greedy but after 1 tour to iraq and 1 to afghanistan as an infantry machine gunner I do say we are underpaid

R.I.P. Lcpl Ivan I. Wilson K.I.A. July 21 2008
89stang is offline  
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Die Wundergroin Schlägt Wieder Zu!
Posts: 2,484
My last year in (2006), after 12+ years, I made just under $36k (E-6).

My first year at my current job, doing less work and having less responsibility, I made the same.

Military underpaid, that's an understatement!
helosailor is offline  
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
It depends on the job in question. Many are underpaid, but the E-7 who hands out towels at the base gym is grossly overpaid.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Lifer
 
564826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,332
For war time duty they are under paid.
564826 is offline  
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
It depends on the job in question. Many are underpaid, but the E-7 who hands out towels at the base gym is grossly overpaid.
Do you think basic pay rates should be based on MOS?
exlude is offline  
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Lifer
 
wesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cedar Hill,Tx
Posts: 2,142
odd....I got out in '98 and immediately made 3x as much in the civilian sector for the same line of work.....odd i guess
wesman is offline  
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
I'll be honest and say I think I'm paid about right (if you include BAH) for what I do. However, for some jobs, I don't think enlisted soldiers get paid near enough. MOS based pay is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would work.

EOD soldiers get an incentive pay of about $750 a month to help with retention. I get an extra $125 a month as an officer for the same job. It levels the playing field a bit.
exlude is offline  
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
KEK
 
f0ur sixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Garland/Tucson
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I'll be honest and say I think I'm paid about right (if you include BAH) for what I do. However, for some jobs, I don't think enlisted soldiers get paid near enough. MOS based pay is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would work.

EOD soldiers get an incentive pay of about $750 a month to help with retention. I get an extra $125 a month as an officer for the same job. It levels the playing field a bit.
It does kind of suck to work 10-11 hours, every other weekend, in the weather...then look over at the guy sitting in finance, taking a 2 hour lunch and has never had to stay at work for more than an hour over or even work a weekend. Same grade and same pay.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
f0ur sixer is offline  
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ur sixer View Post
4.5 years of service, without a deployment last year, I made just under 25K. Just to give an idea.
I agree that military members are underpaid (especially during a war) but just to inject a little more information into the argument I ask the following..

1. is that your base salary or totally monetary compensation?
2. Do you live in the barracks, Military housing, or off base?
3. Do you pay for your own meals (because you have to) or do you eat at the mess hall?
4. Do you get tax free shopping on post..

Again, I'm not fuckin' with anyone in the military. As a former E5, (in the '90s) I know how hard it was to make ends meet with both me and my wife working. We didn't even have kids. But a soldiers salary only tells part of the story. For instance, we got an off base housing allowance (about $600 a month). I got rations in kind unavailable because I worked on an army airfield with no chow hall (a little under $200 a month). I got hazardous duty flight pay as a helicopter crewchief (about $200 a month I think). **BTW, these numbers are from my fuzzy memory, I'll have to dig out an old LES to verify**

Some of those allowances are tax free too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
It depends on the job in question. Many are underpaid, but the E-7 who hands out towels at the base gym is grossly overpaid.
Well it also depends on the specific situation. That E7 might be handing out towels as extra duty for fucking up. He might also simply be doing a duty that is part of his larger responsibilities. He could also be covering for a Private for some reason. You simply can't assume that's all he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Do you think basic pay rates should be based on MOS?
I can see an argument to be made for that. For instance a mechanic in the motor pool makes the same an aviation mechanic. I only made more because I was also on flight duty. But even if you break it down by MOS, you have skill levels within those positions that are simply awarded based on pay grade.

But here is the gist of it. If you base it on MOS, then you'll never get recruits into the shit jobs. Who the hell wants to be an 11B (infantryman) that makes half as much as 67T (UH60 Mechanic)? The Army would have a lot more difficult time filling those positions.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
But here is the gist of it. If you base it on MOS, then you'll never get recruits into the shit jobs. Who the hell wants to be an 11B (infantryman) that makes half as much as 67T (UH60 Mechanic)? The Army would have a lot more difficult time filling those positions.
Shoot, I was thinking the other way around. Base pay would be whatever it needed to be to get the MOS filled, kind of like the civilian sector. I figure the dangerous jobs, like 11B, would have higher pay than the cozy jobs. Also, the ones that take a lot of skill and long hours are paid more than the easy jobs where you get off at 1500. That's all a very underdeveloped idea, but yeah, there is some argument toward it...I had never thought about it before to be honest.
exlude is offline  
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I'll be honest and say I think I'm paid about right (if you include BAH) for what I do. However, for some jobs, I don't think enlisted soldiers get paid near enough. MOS based pay is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would work.
I agree...Different pay grades per AFSC (MOS what?....haha) is an interesting idea, but I think the military has made some attempts at that with pretty generous re-up bonuses, duty pay, and so on. Some would argue that it goes against the rank structure of the military - you are a Master Sergeant first and a towel-hander-outer second.

I use the E-7 at the Gym example because I was at the gym on base one day and overheard the Master Sergeant behind the desk bitching about how he was underpaid. As he handed me a fucking towel. haha I imagine the real world was quite the cruel bitch for that guy.

There are fringe benefits that no one considers when they are in, but do miss once they're out. The Commissary is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying groceries on the economy and with 4 kids, I definitely miss that. I miss the esprit d corps and the camaraderie, but I definitely don't miss the pay and the lack of control over your own destiny.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 PM
KEK
 
f0ur sixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Garland/Tucson
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
1. is that your base salary or totally monetary compensation?
2. Do you live in the barracks, Military housing, or off base?
3. Do you pay for your own meals (because you have to) or do you eat at the mess hall?
4. Do you get tax free shopping on post..
1. Just base salary.
2. I live off base and am paid an additional 740 to live there. (I have to get a roommate to afford a house here still)
3. Yes I pay for my own food, I get an additional amount to eat as well. (I forget the number at the moment)
4. Yes you do, but they're so damn expensive you can always find a better deal off base.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
f0ur sixer is offline  
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
But here is the gist of it. If you base it on MOS, then you'll never get recruits into the shit jobs. Who the hell wants to be an 11B (infantryman) that makes half as much as 67T (UH60 Mechanic)? The Army would have a lot more difficult time filling those positions.
They would fill them the same way they do now. The poor saps who score low on the ASVAB sign on as open general and get stuck with the shit that no one else wanted.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Bullet Sponge
 
forever_frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cooper, Tx
Posts: 3,142
I'd love to see 11 series making 80k a year. I know I would have loved it.

Military is grossly underpaid
forever_frost is offline  
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
They would fill them the same way they do now. The poor saps who score low on the ASVAB sign on as open general and get stuck with the shit that no one else wanted.
Maybe, but probably not. You seem to disregard that no one HAS to join. It is a volunteer army. Or do you think we should go back to mandatory conscription? More importantly, you will drive people with HIGH ASVAB scores away from the Infantry. You DON'T want that. You want plenty of smart people on the front lines. I know plenty of NCO's and higher that are in the Infantry with college degrees. I've met plenty Sr NCOs with Masters degrees. You telling me that you want them paid with shit wages? Basically, dumb shit like that will take us from having the BEST infantry in the world to something not nearly as good....

Also, how do you implement it? Do you tell all those existing 11B infantrymen, fuck you, you get a pay cut? And don't forget that 11B is one of the more dangerous jobs during wartime.

Then there are the very highly skilled jobs? You going to double or triple the pay of someone that scored very high on the ASVAB? I myself was offered positions in Intelligence and as a Nuclear Technician. The base salary for those jobs was dirt cheap compared to what you get in the civilian world. Of course I chose Aviation, but that is something I have a passion for anyways..

I'm not saying that it is impossible but it would be a vastly more complicated pay structure that could potentially lead to fraud and even dissatisfaction in the rank and file.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Building on what I just said.

When you join the Army, you can pick your MOS and are guaranteed training in that MOS. You aren't guaranteed to work that job but the vast majority of the time, you do get that job.

However, the Air Force doesn't guarantee shit. There are plenty of people that score very highly on the ASVAB but get shit jobs. My Cadet Commander in High School ROTC scored VERY high on his ASVAB. He joined the Air Force and ended up guarding a fuckin' runway for four years. It is the exact reason I joined the Army instead of the Air Force.

So if we based pay off of MOS, it would be a fuckin' crap shoot as to what job or what pay you get. Some folks are willing to take that gamble for which job they'll be working but I bet A LOT less will be willing to take that crap shoot on their job and their pay.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,163
Just take a look at the pay structure.

The P.O.S. politicians that send our boys to war. $100k + a year.

Our boys in harms way.. Less than 30k a year.


How is this a good thing?



All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
tazz007 is offline  
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Lifer
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Haughton,La,USA
Posts: 14,152
I got out in 1995(USAF) i crewed a tanker the whole time. I made more money On flying status and tdy pay than everthing else combined.
JimD is offline  
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I got out in 1995(USAF) i crewed a tanker the whole time. I made more money On flying status and tdy pay than everthing else combined.
I can see that happening. When I was in Japan, I made more with my COLA pay and flight pay. At one point I was making about $800 a month on COLA and I was living in the barracks.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Some of you mofo's don't know how to work the system, I was making 4 grand a month when I got out.
SlowLX is offline  
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
I beleive they are underpaid. Big time. Especially the single guys that live in the barracks, they get the seriously shitty end of the stick compared to their married brethren by far.

Even if you you were a single guy getting BAH right out of boot camp, while it is decent money, they dont take into consideration the sheer amount of hours you are putting out. Im not trying to give a sob story because we volunteered for it and we are proud to do what we do. I would have done it for free.

I think they should do some adjustments based on MOS, but that will be very hard and controversial. I think they should do very general MOS pay increases with MOSs that work hard in the rear and in theatre. On that note then your are going to get all kinds of idiots coming into MOSs that need intelligent people like Infantry which is what happend when they started offering bonuses. (some of the most intelligent people I have ever met were infantrymen)

Sgt Beavis, what bird where you a crew chief on?

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny46 View Post
Sgt Beavis, what bird where you a crew chief on?
UH-1H Iroquois (aka. Huey)
MOS: 67N20

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
UH-1H Iroquois (aka. Huey)
MOS: 67N20
No shit huh, thats cool. Im a Ch-46E Sea Knight (aka Battle Phrog) Crew Chief 6172...or was actually, I just came off active duty, might be flying around on c130s for the reserves. Ive actually thought about going 60s in the NatGaurd, I love rotary wing hahaha blackhawks are good aircraft

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny46 View Post
I beleive they are underpaid. Big time. Especially the single guys that live in the barracks, they get the seriously shitty end of the stick compared to their married brethren by far.

Even if you you were a single guy getting BAH right out of boot camp, while it is decent money, they dont take into consideration the sheer amount of hours you are putting out. Im not trying to give a sob story because we volunteered for it and we are proud to do what we do. I would have done it for free.

I think they should do some adjustments based on MOS, but that will be very hard and controversial. I think they should do very general MOS pay increases with MOSs that work hard in the rear and in theatre. On that note then your are going to get all kinds of idiots coming into MOSs that need intelligent people like Infantry which is what happend when they started offering bonuses. (some of the most intelligent people I have ever met were infantrymen)

Sgt Beavis, what bird where you a crew chief on?
As a former LCpl I would never see a point in giving boots a big pay raise...we ALL know the majority of them are going to give it to strippers anyways.
SlowLX is offline  
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
However, the Air Force doesn't guarantee shit. There are plenty of people that score very highly on the ASVAB but get shit jobs. My Cadet Commander in High School ROTC scored VERY high on his ASVAB. He joined the Air Force and ended up guarding a fuckin' runway for four years. It is the exact reason I joined the Army instead of the Air Force.
That couldn't be any more incorrect. If your buddy scored high on the ASVAB and ended up being an SP, that's either his own fault or he got fucked by the recruiter.

The Air Force will allow you to enlist in one of three ways:

"Open General" - you get an AFSC based on the needs of the Air Force
"Guaranteed Category" - you are Guaranteed a AFSC in whatever category you qualify for (e.g. Electronics)
"Guaranteed AFSC" - you are guaranteed a spot in the technical training class for the specific AFSC you qualify for. If you fail out of the class, it's your decision to either re-classify or separate from the AF.

I enlisted in 1996 as a 4A2X1 - Biomedical Equipment Repair. I was guaranteed that AFSC in my enlistment paperwork, went to the school and still use that training on the job as a civilian.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
As a former LCpl I would never see a point in giving boots a big pay raise...we ALL know the majority of them are going to give it to strippers anyways.
Hahaha Oh I know what you mean dude. I was just using that as an example. While I think there should be pay raises across the board, NCOs bear a huge amount of the responsibility and should be paid as such.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Maybe, but probably not. You seem to disregard that no one HAS to join. It is a volunteer army. Or do you think we should go back to mandatory conscription? More importantly, you will drive people with HIGH ASVAB scores away from the Infantry. You DON'T want that. You want plenty of smart people on the front lines. I know plenty of NCO's and higher that are in the Infantry with college degrees. I've met plenty Sr NCOs with Masters degrees. You telling me that you want them paid with shit wages? Basically, dumb shit like that will take us from having the BEST infantry in the world to something not nearly as good....
I'm well aware of the fact that it's a volunteer military. What you score on the ASVAB determines your options for enlisting. The way they fill the shit jobs now is by taking the people with low ASVAB scores and refusing to guarantee them a desirable job. If they still decide to join, the position is filled.

Is Infantry a good job or a shit job? I guess that depends on your perspective and your reasons for enlisting.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
I'm well aware of the fact that it's a volunteer military. What you score on the ASVAB determines your options for enlisting. The way they fill the shit jobs now is by taking the people with low ASVAB scores and refusing to guarantee them a desirable job. If they still decide to join, the position is filled.

Is Infantry a good job or a shit job? I guess that depends on your perspective and your reasons for enlisting.
Well it depends on how you look at it really man. And I am not an Infantryman for the record. But any job is what you make of it. If your patriotic and want to fight and like doing things like living outdoors and being pushed to the limits you will like being infantry. Some people love it some people hate it.

Personally if I were to do it again I would have gone Infantry. I loved my job though dont get me wrong.

Also your ASVAB isnt the only thing that dictates your job, although it is a big part. Your moral stuff factors in as well i.e. convictions, drug usage, etc. You can have a really high ASVAB score but if you have, say, a Marijuana conviction its going to limit your job selection. Thinking of enlisting?

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: www.dfwmustangs.net
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny46 View Post
Also your ASVAB isnt the only thing that dictates your job, although it is a big part. Your moral stuff factors in as well i.e. convictions, drug usage, etc. You can have a really high ASVAB score but if you have, say, a Marijuana conviction its going to limit your job selection. Thinking of enlisting?
I was making the assumption that convicted criminals were out of the candidate pool, but I forgot we were talking about the Army.

Enlisting? Me? Been there, done that, got out 8 years ago.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

red95gts is offline  
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
I was making the assumption that convicted criminals were out of the candidate pool, but I forgot we were talking about the Army.

Enlisting? Me? Been there, done that, got out 8 years ago.

Haha oh sorry dude. As I was

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Coupe View Post
That is just fucking unacceptable. I mean, really, that's fucked up!
It's not that fucked up. They don't pay many bills so most of that is spending money. Housing, water, electricity and all that jazz is free if you live on base.

Taylor is offline  
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 210
Who the hell are the 20% that feel our military is paid fairly?!?!?




Mike Huntzinger
Sales Mgr
[email protected]
817-849-3221
5_star_mike is offline  
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post

Is Infantry a good job or a shit job? I guess that depends on your perspective and your reasons for enlisting.
A valid point...

Let's just say that the ASVAB requirements are lower that some other jobs..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
It's not that fucked up. They don't pay many bills so most of that is spending money. Housing, water, electricity and all that jazz is free if you live on base.
Exactly....free rent, free food, free util (minus cable/internet) My nonrates in NC would take their entire 700 paycheck to caves on a friday then spend the next two weeks bitching because uncle sam doesn't pay them enough to goto a titty bar for two weeks straight.
SlowLX is offline  
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Exactly....free rent, free food, free util (minus cable/internet) My nonrates in NC would take their entire 700 paycheck to caves on a friday then spend the next two weeks bitching because uncle sam doesn't pay them enough to goto a titty bar for two weeks straight.
Yeah but because they are not poor does not mean they are paid well. It doesnt matter if they spend all their money on ass and tits or give it all to chairty they should still be paid more for what they do.

And there is adverse stuff to all of the "free" things they get. You get a free room, but barracks life sucks...period.

They get to eat at the chow hall...which is probably better than it has been in the past but by no means a great meal. The only time I ever ate there was for breakfast. And its only open during certain times. And there were many times where the guys with meal cards had to work, and had to pay out of pocket for food.

You get cheap medical and dental (it is not actually free like most people think. although it is very cheap) but have you ever delt with navy medicine? If your lucky you will get a decent doctor that knows what he/she is doing.

While military guys get paid enough to not have it hard, they certainly dont have it easy. Thats my opinion on it. They should get a huge pay increase.

As a Sergeant with 5 years in I made 28,000 last year. I lived in the Barracks and not by choice.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey

Last edited by Danny46; 01-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Danny46 is offline  
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny46 View Post
Yeah but because they are not poor does not mean they are paid well. It doesnt matter if they spend all their money on ass and tits or give it all to chairty they should still be paid more for what they do.

And there is adverse stuff to all of the "free" things they get. You get a free room, but barracks life sucks...period.

They get to eat at the chow hall...which is probably better than it has been in the past but by no means a great meal. The only time I ever ate there was for breakfast. And its only open during certain times. And there were many times where the guys with meal cards had to work, and had to pay out of pocket for food.

You get cheap medical and dental (it is not actually free like most people think. although it is very cheap) but have you ever delt with navy medicine? If your lucky you will get a decent doctor that knows what he/she is doing.

While military guys get paid enough to not have it hard, they certainly dont have it easy. Thats my opinion on it. They should get a huge pay increase.

As a Sergeant with 5 years in I made 28,000 last year. I lived in the Barracks and not by choice.
Once I made lance I always had plenty of cash to do what I wanted, even when I was in school out in cali. As an NCO forget about it, I've never not lived comfortably on military pay. Morally should we all have been paid better? Probably, but if you start giving all the MILLIONS of service members huge raises there would be cut backs in other areas. I for one will take good body armor and better equipment over an extra 20k a year while on my contract.
SlowLX is offline  
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Once I made lance I always had plenty of cash to do what I wanted, even when I was in school out in cali. As an NCO forget about it, I've never not lived comfortably on military pay. Morally should we all have been paid better? Probably, but if you start giving all the MILLIONS of service members huge raises there would be cut backs in other areas. I for one will take good body armor and better equipment over an extra 20k a year while on my contract.

This is true....not that the body armor is anything to write home about haha. But thats why they weren't giving BAH to NCOs.

I spent alot of time in Southern California and the cost of living is very high there, which basic pay doesnt compensate for. And NCOs wont get BAH unless they are married these days. I never had money issues but certainly felt I should have been making more.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
I'm curious to hear from the person that voted that the military is overpaid...no flaming, just want to hear your argument/discussion.
exlude is offline  
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny46 View Post
Yeah but because they are not poor does not mean they are paid well. It doesnt matter if they spend all their money on ass and tits or give it all to chairty they should still be paid more for what they do.

And there is adverse stuff to all of the "free" things they get. You get a free room, but barracks life sucks...period.

They get to eat at the chow hall...which is probably better than it has been in the past but by no means a great meal. The only time I ever ate there was for breakfast. And its only open during certain times. And there were many times where the guys with meal cards had to work, and had to pay out of pocket for food.

You get cheap medical and dental (it is not actually free like most people think. although it is very cheap) but have you ever delt with navy medicine? If your lucky you will get a decent doctor that knows what he/she is doing.

While military guys get paid enough to not have it hard, they certainly dont have it easy. Thats my opinion on it. They should get a huge pay increase.

As a Sergeant with 5 years in I made 28,000 last year. I lived in the Barracks and not by choice.
The housing on base is free too. Just gotta be lucky enough to get the house instead of barracks or whatever those temporary apartment things are called...I can't remember. I haven't lived on base in a long time.

The medical and dental is AWESOME though. My dad has been retired from the military for a while but we still get military medical and dental. I paid $25 for surgery + $8 for the pain meds afterwards. Military insurance is legit. That's air force though. I dono if army, navy, etc get the same insurance.

However I do agree. They could use a small pay raise at least.

Taylor is offline  
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: mesquite
Posts: 370
My brother is EOD in the Marine corp. stationed in Cali. Last year he made 118K, that did include his 60K re-enlistment bonus. Hes married and has 2 kids with a nice 3 bedroom place on the south side of the base. The south side has tons of nice ocean view housing. Anyways hes a piece of shit and I hate him but I think he is fairly paid. Almost 60k a year with no utility bill or rent. Sounds pretty fuckin good to me.
red89notch is offline  
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,163
Being in Cali probably has something to do with the higher pay, but that's still a lot compared to the average guy in the military.

Taylor is offline  
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
The housing on base is free too. Just gotta be lucky enough to get the house instead of barracks or whatever those temporary apartment things are called...I can't remember. I haven't lived on base in a long time.

The medical and dental is AWESOME though. My dad has been retired from the military for a while but we still get military medical and dental. I paid $25 for surgery + $8 for the pain meds afterwards. Military insurance is legit. That's air force though. I dono if army, navy, etc get the same insurance.

However I do agree. They could use a small pay raise at least.
I had oral surgery about two months ago, got a prescription for perkiset and walked out the door fo' free! Also got 3 days quarters, which doesn't count against leave or anything like that.

It seems a lot of people aren't figuring in all the benefits of the military to include health/dental, housing, food, housing allowance, etc. They are only looking at basic pay which doesn't tell the whole story. All in all I'd say the military is underpaid, but not as drastically as some people think.
exlude is offline  
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 257
Lol its not a matter of luck moving into the houses on base. You have to be married to live there...If you arnt married you live in the barracks....in the Marine Corps anyway.

And yes the insurance is good (tricare) but that is not what you get while you are in. When you are active duty you go throu military medical care facility. Tri-care is a good deal but you use civillian docs with that.

red89notch: It is different for the married guys, they get more money and get to live out in town, however once that happens they do not get free utilities anymore, they pay the same as you would for wherever they live. And him making that much is a once in a career thing. He signed up for 4 more years for that extra 60,000. And I personally like the southside of the base. Its a town called ocean side, and yes its next to the beach but that town is junk. Alot of Marines out tehre affectionatley refer to ocean side as "where the sewer meets the sea"

Its a good deal to be married in the military....the military does alot for famillies....but like I said earlier the single guys get the shit end of sthe stick on that. Is it fair that someone makes twice as much as I do because he is married?

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
Danny46 is offline  
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Colony
Posts: 1,024
So there is a little perspective, the following is the average pay rate by grade from the 2010 basic pay chart. Clearly, Officers can make a very good living, where as even the most senior enlisted members only make an average of 62k. However, almost half of the military is E-4 or below - so half of the military clears less than $25k a year.

Yearly
O-10 186,487
O-9 164,232
O-8 147,914
O-7 132,678
O-6 93,108
O-5 79,590
O-4 69,863
O-3 59,964
O-2 46,994
O-1 36,229
W-5 86,161
W-4 62,980
W-3 56,583
W-2 50,820
W-1 46,733
E-9 62,635
E-8 53,043
E-7 30,838
E-6 35,619
E-5 29,542
E-4 25,113
E-3 21,768
E-2 19,465
E-1 17,366

Last edited by 49522; 01-23-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: removed monthly
49522 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome