Sweet! Higher gas prices here we come! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Sweet! Higher gas prices here we come!

I thought bob lutz was a decent guy, guess with the government telling him what to do this is the result.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/11/news...stax/index.htm

With all these shitbox hybrids and crap coming out, they gotta do something to force people to buy them. Sure asswipe, higher gas prices will be GREAT for the country! Higher gas prices have already shown how bad they cripple this country.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Lifer

Lutz is trying to save GM and the volt is that attempt. Of course he would favor higher gas taxes, so people would buy the volt. He is a buisness man first and formost.

Perosnally, depending on how the volt works out, I may look into one. The biggest drawbacks to EV's were the batteries and it looks like GM may have that worked out. The range kinda sucks but it works for my case.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Lifer

Lutz is a prick. He doesn't care about you or me, all he cares about is saving GM. Sure, raise the gas tax on everyone to force them to buy new vehicles. What fucking country are we in again? That is the most fucked up idea I have ever heard.

Quote:
"If the rise in gasoline prices is gradual, I think that all of us in the industry would frankly welcome that, because there is nothing more illogical than forcing fuel-saving technology when gasoline is extremely cheap,"
There is one thing more illogical Bob, and that is taxing the entire country every time we fill up to save the car companies who have sold us cheaper and cheaper cars at higher and higher prices.

Save your company with your own goddamn money and keep your fucking hands off of mine.

I am in awe right now.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Im really curious whats gonna happen when every car on the road or even half of them have to be plugged in. Electric bills are gonna be sky high for everyone, weither you own an electric vehicle or not!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Fuck it, I will ride the bike to work more often.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Lifer

I do not understand why this is so hard for US car makers to make a car that gets 45+MPG. why do they feel the need to use this crazy hybrid technology? there is no need to design a car that looks all futuristic just because it has this hybrid technology. take any car you have in your line up and offer a diesel engine option. how hard is it to stick 1.9L diesel engine in a new Malibu and get over 50MPG? you can do this to any vehicle in the american its very simple.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Lifer

Supposedly the volt only costs about $1 night to plug in. And I dunno if its really a hybrid. Sure it has both a engine and a motor but its electric 100% of the time till the battery runs out then it runs 100% of the time on the gas motor. So if you live close enough to work you can drive there and back and not use one drop of gas.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Fuck it, I will ride the bike to work more often.
Yep I'm second guessing trying to sell it now, probably keep it for this reason. Diesel fill-ups are way worse than gas fill-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Supposedly the volt only costs about $1 night to plug in. And I dunno if its really a hybrid. Sure it has both a engine and a motor but its electric 100% of the time till the battery runs out then it runs 100% of the time on the gas motor. So if you live close enough to work you can drive there and back and not use one drop of gas.
Cool if it works, but how much would one of these bastards cost?
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Lifer

They are trying to keep costs around $20k but of course this is chevy we are talking about so that translates to about $50k
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Lifer

This is the last thing this economy needs. They think cars sales are bad now? Wait until $4 gal. gas hits. Trucks/SUV's are still a large portion of new car sales here in Texas. How many folks can run out and buy a $45k Tahoe hybrid? Hell, it's cheaper to pay the $4 gas.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
T-MINUS

If fuel prices rocket up again, the stumbling economy will fall into a deeper recession bordering on depression. What about the days of consumers choosing what they want and buying it without fear of financial distress?

Lutz can eat a dick. People need to be held accountable for saying dumb shit like this. Never thought I'd be looking to move to Sweden so I had more freedoms and reduced tax burden

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Lifer

There are so many people making money off gas/oil its unreal. If people really wanted to fix it then the world wouldnt have oil tankers sitting off shore waiting for prices to rise before unloading. Thats a clearly easy way to fix part of the issue but no one will enforce it because the higher up are profiting.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I do not understand why this is so hard for US car makers to make a car that gets 45+MPG. why do they feel the need to use this crazy hybrid technology? there is no need to design a car that looks all futuristic just because it has this hybrid technology. take any car you have in your line up and offer a diesel engine option. how hard is it to stick 1.9L diesel engine in a new Malibu and get over 50MPG? you can do this to any vehicle in the american its very simple.
GM did remember the GEO Metro I know a guy who beat the shit out of one and he never got less than 40 mpg he even saw over 50 mpg once. Prob. is who the hell wants a GEO Metro.

Mark my words if they start putting diesels into car on a large scale diesel will be twice the price as gas, and remember diesel is a byproduct of making gas.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
If fuel prices rocket up again, the stumbling economy will fall into a deeper recession bordering on depression. What about the days of consumers choosing what they want and buying it without fear of financial distress?

Lutz can eat a dick. People need to be held accountable for saying dumb shit like this. Never thought I'd be looking to move to Sweden so I had more freedoms and reduced tax burden
Gas prices are already going up. It cost me 2.66/gal for 87 this morning. By summer it'll probably be a dollar more per gal
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
The range kinda sucks but it works for my case.
Yeah you're right a lot of people can't make use of it, but I am willing to bet that there are also a lot of people who can. I sure as hell could. It wouldn't hurt me one bit to get to go 250 miles on $4 worth of electricity. Well, that's what the Tesla motors care does, anyway. What I do wonder though, is how they run the AC system in an all electric car. It's going to get damn hot here in the texas summer, and as we all know an AC system drinks power like it's going out of style. Maybe they have some super efficient unit?

Quote:
I've always wondered this as well. Hell if they even pulled out the whole bag of tricks on a damn gas motor car they could jack the MPG up a lot more than it is. I think it's just sheer unwillingness to change. They want to hold on to the good 'ol days, where they got to hardly engineer and hardly retool, and make a fortune every year. Well, them good ol days are 'gowne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
GM did remember the GEO Metro I know a guy who beat the shit out of one and he never got less than 40 mpg he even saw over 50 mpg once. Prob. is who the hell wants a GEO Metro.
If they made a new metro, with new styling that made the thing look half decent, for the same price point that a metro should be in, I'd buy the fuck out of it. Just for the sheer gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Yeah you're right a lot of people can't make use of it, but I am willing to bet that there are also a lot of people who can. I sure as hell could. It wouldn't hurt me one bit to get to go 250 miles on $4 worth of electricity. Well, that's what the Tesla motors care does, anyway. What I do wonder though, is how they run the AC system in an all electric car. It's going to get damn hot here in the texas summer, and as we all know an AC system drinks power like it's going out of style. Maybe they have some super efficient unit?

If they made a new metro, with new styling that made the thing look half decent, for the same price point that a metro should be in, I'd buy the fuck out of it. Just for the sheer gas mileage.
The volt has a short range with the electric motor but it also has a backup gas engine so even if you live further away you would still benefit.

Get a smart car if you want a modern metro. Kinda gay looking but those things get good millage I hear and are safer than they look.I got 4 kids so those are out of the question.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I thought the volt was gonna be more like 50k, 20k my ass. They cant make a car with cutting edge tech and give it away that cheap.

Before it was always kinda the car companies against the oil companies, with this it seems they are coming together and ganging up on the people. Probably gonna get royally fucked, we will be paying 40k for a tiny shitbox like they do in europe...awesome.

Problem with this is of course is that here in america, land of vast open spaces, most people have to drive quite a way to get to work and we dont hardly have any public transportation. They need to quit looking at europe and realize this country is different and needs unique solutions.

post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
IA2

In a way I almost feel sorry for the US automakers (almost, but in the way you feel kind of sorry for an idiot that is about to set himself on fire). They have to forecast their product offerings way in advance of producing them, and sometimes the world economic situation shifts while products are in the pipeline. And that pipeline can be years long.

It started with the two OPEC embargos in the 70's, which had people dumping large american autos and scrambling for cars that got better gas mileage. You couldn't find a volkswagen for sale anywhere, at any price. Hemi cudas were going for cheap, as was any kind of large, gas guzzling muscle car.

The automakers were totally unprepared for that event. Hell, we all were.

It happened again when the US automakers started penny pinching and lowered quality in the late 70s, just as the japanese were getting much better at quality control. Some consumers held onto their american car buying habit, but the consumers who had previously switched to japanese cars bought more of them. They noticed that the jap cars were built with high quality, and the US cars were not. This was the first self inflicted cut, of many more to come.

It continued with automakers producing pure shit in the 80s and 90s (plastic intake manifolds, faulty head gaskets, rattling interiors, bad transmissions, peeling paint, etc) and then denying warranty claims. It continued with GM consolidating auto lines (putting chevy engines into cadilliacs, for example). This practice, and other consolidation practices that would follow, would eventually lead to the death of oldsmobile and pontiac because of too much crossbreeding with chevy. And the US automakers bled even more customers to the japs, most of them forever. Cut, cut, cut, thyself, US automakers....

More recently, it happened with $4 gas and left the automakers with lots full of full size SUVs and large pickups. Many would make the case that *this* particular situation was predictable, since gas had been going up and up for years. It took katrina and speculation in the energy markets to make that point. But no one was paying attention at the US automakers, and there were no plans on the board for producing anything that could compete with japan. And by this time, there was no money for product development either.

It happened again when gas shifted back to $1.50, and fickle/idiotic consumers resumed buying large vehicles, just as the automakers rolled out some smaller cars, and assumed lethal amounts of debt, to try to hold on.

Now its happening again with government motors, forcing GM into producing politically correct vehicles. However, I think that the timing might finally be working for the US automakers this time, with this mandate.

So terrible management decisions + union labor (strikes, bad quality, legacy costs) + don't give a shit attitude + strong competition got the US automakers to where they are today.

Now gas is on the way up again, so maybe chevy will actually sell a volt or 2. I read an article written by an automotive journalist who test drove a pre-production volt, and he seemed quite impressed with it. A volt will likely never appeal to me, but I can see where it would appeal to other people, with different driving habits.

And I read somewhere where the guy who predicted $100/barrel oil said that by 2012 we would see $200/barrel oil. If that happens, it will likely be the final nail in the US automaker's coffin (as well as the US economy).

mikeb's .02
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Factory Issue

I forsee a lot of folks letting their gas go bad in the tank, then having to pay a shit load to get it cleaned out when they finally try a roadtrip.

Give me a dollar.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Time Served

Location: Pushing shakes and burgers to the hungry people of Denton, Tx
American sheeople have it in their heads the diesels are "dirty" cars. Another reason we cant get a 45mpg gasoline car these days is cause we want 200hp our of a 4cylinder. We are getting closer with direct injection but if you sacrifice the power you can get the mileage.
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
The volt has a short range with the electric motor but it also has a backup gas engine so even if you live further away you would still benefit.

Get a smart car if you want a modern metro. Kinda gay looking but those things get good millage I hear and are safer than they look.I got 4 kids so those are out of the question.
Eww. Those things are nasty. I would probly just take a metro that was in decent shape first. It didn't look like a stub of a car at least. It was more enlongated.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Token Union Member

I saw premium selling for $3 a gallon today. First time in along time any grade of gas has been selling that high. I don't mind paying $4 a gallon for gas if the economy is rocking and rolling like it was in 2007, but these idiots are retarded if they think they can force $3 or $4 a gallon gas on the consumer in this economy.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Worship me

Don't worry, all the hedge funds will be right back into oil before long and gas will be $5 a gallon in no time. The economy is going to be fucked too but the hedge funds will make their money.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
It is very hard to stick a diesel in any car in the US. California and EPA emission rules have fucked us on that one. So far, the only practical way to meet those rules is to inject urea into the exhaust. As Consumer Reports found out recently, that urea injection is some expensive shit.

Quote:
You've almost got it. It is an electric car in that it has batteries and the electric motors EXCLUSIVELY drive the wheels. The gas engine is only connected to a generator. It has no transmission or mechanical drive train connected to the wheels. When the battery runs out, the engine comes on and keeps the electric wheels moving. The gas engine is considered a "range extender".

A true hybrid, like the Prius, allows the wheels to be driven by BOTH the engine and electric motor or exclusively by either. I think the Prius runs exclusively on its electric motors up to 30mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Don't worry, all the hedge funds will be right back into oil before long and gas will be $5 a gallon in no time. The economy is going to be fucked too but the hedge funds will make their money.
Tru dat....

Here is what Lutz said.
Quote:
"If the rise in gasoline prices is gradual, I think that all of us in the industry would frankly welcome that, because there is nothing more illogical than forcing fuel-saving technology when gasoline is extremely cheap,"
Take it in this context. The Feds have already passed the new CAFE requirements that require manufacturer fleets to get 40mpg. The problem is fuel efficient cars have historically never sold well in the US. One exception was back in 2008 when gas prices really went nuts. Everyone saw that economy car sales went through the roof when prices were above $3.00 a gallon.

Lutz is correct that their more fuel efficient cars will be in high demand (and make higher margins) IF gas prices are higher. The only way to artificially push those prices up there is when you increase taxes dramatically. They have done EXACTLY that in Europe and as a result, the average car gets about 40mpg and the public actually buys them. Of course, Europe didn't fuck themselves with stupid diesel emission rules like the US did.

Lutz is a free market guy. He believes in selling what the public actually wants. But if the Government is going to force him to build cars that get 40mpg, then he wants to actually be able to sell them and make money. In that context, he is right to say that MUCH higher gasoline taxes will guarantee sales of these newly mandated cars.

I mean, come on, this guy had a huge role in bringing the Viper to market, do you seriously think he wants to sell these shitty little cars? IMO, he statement is strictly a result of government regulation...
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
PAN

Quote:

I want one too!

post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Time Served

Location: Pushing shakes and burgers to the hungry people of Denton, Tx
^^^ First off, thats not a smart. Second, ANYTHING you take against a semi head on you are most likely going to end up the same way.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 AM
LUCIFER

It's gone up about 15 cents in the past week at the gas station by my work

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwebbz28 View Post
^^^ First off, thats not a smart. Second, ANYTHING you take against a semi head on you are most likely going to end up the same way.

First off, it's actually larger than a smart. Hmm, wonder how something smaller would do?

Second, no, you're not. You're not going to be unscathed but it IS a battle of numbers. If I'm surrounded with more steel I have a higher chance of survival, period. If my family in our four door super crew wreck into something like a smart car, my family wins. If my family in our 1 ton dually wrecks into something like a smart car, my family still wins.

Sucks for the smart car people cause they're gonna get smashed like a bug...
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Lifer

Hopefully, that car was parked.

And I'll say it..."Call Nick!"

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I wouldn't get a Smart simply because they drive like shit. The transmissions are totally fucked up. I'd wait until this summer and get the Ford Fiesta which is expected to get similar mileage (30/40mpg) but has A LOT more room for about the same price. I think Ford might have a real winner with that car. The Smart is rated at 33/41mpg.
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
You've almost got it. It is an electric car in that it has batteries and the electric motors EXCLUSIVELY drive the wheels. The gas engine is only connected to a generator. It has no transmission or mechanical drive train connected to the wheels. When the battery runs out, the engine comes on and keeps the electric wheels moving. The gas engine is considered a "range extender"
I like this design. I have been wondering why it is not already in place. Hybrids are complicated, costly and ineffective. Years ago I met a guy who had a generator on a fully electric golf cart thing with a bed that he used for hauling crap around his shop and land. He put a gallon of fuel in that thing a couple times a year.
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I like this design. I have been wondering why it is not already in place. Hybrids are complicated, costly and ineffective. Years ago I met a guy who had a generator on a fully electric golf cart thing with a bed that he used for hauling crap around his shop and land. He put a gallon of fuel in that thing a couple times a year.
The Fiesta isn't in place because they had to totally retool a truck plant in Mexico to build it. Ford still has a ways to go before they have their North American plants in alignment with the European plants. Next up is the next gen Focus. Ford rolled it out at the Detroit AutoShow...

post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Canada is welcome here.

What kind of mileage does that thing get?

Quote:

Quote:
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
I want one too!

WTF does that have to do with smart cars? If your going to try to disprove what I said then read again and take it for what it is. I said I HEAR they are safer THAN THEY LOOK. I never said you can throw a fucking semi at one and walk away. I can pull pics off the net that show all kinds of cars fucked up by semi's. Smart cars passed US crash tests even though no one thought they could and there are videos out showing the interesting ideas engineers used to make that happen.

I have never driven one, know anyone with one or even want one. I think they look goofey and they wont accomodate my needs. I threw it out there as a modern economical solution that compared to the METRO. sheesh....
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
PAN

Quote:
WTF does that have to do with smart cars? If your going to try to disprove what I said then read again and take it for what it is. I said I HEAR they are safer THAN THEY LOOK. I never said you can throw a fucking semi at one and walk away. I can pull pics off the net that show all kinds of cars fucked up by semi's. Smart cars passed US crash tests even though no one thought they could and there are videos out showing the interesting ideas engineers used to make that happen.

I have never driven one, know anyone with one or even want one. I think they look goofey and they wont accomodate my needs. I threw it out there as a modern economical solution that compared to the METRO. sheesh....

G string in your crack or is it just your panties? Are the pics I posted as a way of saying a really small car is not a good idea from a safety perspective really that big a personal affront to you? Do you always walk around with your emotions on your sleeve? Can I get you a tissue? Maybe you should take your own advice and accept the pics for what they are?

Chill already. I didn't attack you. Either one of you. No ones picking on you. It'll be ok! Promise!
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
LS1 Fighter

That's a sweet focus. i'd rock one.

I kinda agree with Fox on the safety of a Smart car/super mini-enconobox car in the US. With the amount of idiot drivers and oversized vehicles rolling around currently. I don't think i would wanna gamble with my life. If i lived in Europe where a large percentage of cars were these small cars, i'd feel alot safer.

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
makin' bacon

Quote:
If you drive any American car produced, ANY of them (not trucks or suvs) into the front of a fucking semi at speed it will look very similar to that pic.

That pic is a poor reference for discussing vehicular safety.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Lifer

i don't see a body in that car,maybe it was parked?

RON PAUL '08
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
What kind of mileage does that thing get?
Ford hasn't released any performance numbers yet. They have only said that the base engine will be a DI 2.0 with 155hp. This thing will compete with the 2011 Chevy Cruze, so I expect it will match it in mileage. GM has already stated that the fuel sipping version of the Cruze will get 40mpg..

Word is that Ford will offer an EcoBoosted version of the DI 2.0 in the Focus. No word on an RS version yet. The current Euro Focus RS gets 300hp...

I'm not a huge fan of the sedan but the 5door is pretty good looking IMO. The interior is outstanding.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
If you drive any American car produced, ANY of them (not trucks or suvs) into the front of a fucking semi at speed it will look very similar to that pic.

That pic is a poor reference for discussing vehicular safety.

Stevo

Really? Please do produce the proper picture for discussing vehicular safety then.

As according to you.

Go ahead.

Post it up.

NOW: I posted the picture for effect. It is a well known FACT that the majority of vehicles on the roads are TRUCKS and SUVS. Why you would willingly put yourself in a LESSER vehicle knowing this is STUPID. That's ALL I was trying to point out.

For fucks sake already...
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Really? Please do produce the proper picture for discussing vehicular safety then.

As according to you.

Go ahead.

Post it up.

NOW: I posted the picture for effect. It is a well known FACT that the majority of vehicles on the roads are TRUCKS and SUVS. Why you would willingly put yourself in a LESSER vehicle knowing this is STUPID. That's ALL I was trying to point out.

Trucks and SUVs have a higher fatality rate in front end and rollover collisions than cars, or more accurately, vehicles constructed on a full frame/rolling chassis have a much more pronounced fatality rate than those made from a unibody. Sure, the wreckage is more dramatic with a smaller vehicle, but you're more likely to live. IIRC, Ford did a study, and over a 3 year period, recorded 200 fatalities per million units sold for the F150, whereas the Taurus had 5 fatalities per million units sold. Again, that doesn't presume the scenarios are the same for every accident, but that statistic can't be coincidental. I'm sure there's some nerdlinger crunching the numbers on this shit at the Rand Corporation, when he isn't rubbing one out to the film, "21."

Give me a dollar.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Trucks and SUVs have a higher fatality rate in front end and rollover collisions than cars, or more accurately, vehicles constructed on a full frame/rolling chassis have a much more pronounced fatality rate than those made from a unibody. Sure, the wreckage is more dramatic with a smaller vehicle, but you're more likely to live. IIRC, Ford did a study, and over a 3 year period, recorded 200 fatalities per million units sold for the F150, whereas the Taurus had 5 fatalities per million units sold. Again, that doesn't presume the scenarios are the same for every accident, but that statistic can't be coincidental. I'm sure there's some nerdlinger crunching the numbers on this shit at the Rand Corporation, when he isn't rubbing one out to the film, "21."
Intelligent refutal! Fucking awesome!

That's interesting, as one would think my stance to be more accurate. Any idea as to where I could peruse that data? I've long thought it better to have my family in the largest vehicle I can afford and if that thought process is wrong...
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Intelligent refutal! Fucking awesome!

That's interesting, as one would think my stance to be more accurate. Any idea as to where I could peruse that data? I've long thought it better to have my family in the largest vehicle I can afford and if that thought process is wrong...
I'll take a look around, but I'm sure the CDC has something on that. They are a big clearinghouse for data concerning death, injury, and of course, illness. If not them, I'm serious when I say some of the studies Rand has conducted will blow your mind.

EDIT: There is something extremely reassuring about a big ass truck with welded-in full bumper replacements, lol.

Give me a dollar.
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Factory Issue

post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:

As according to you.

Go ahead.

Post it up. NOW: I posted the picture for effect. It is a well known FACT that the majority of vehicles on the roads are TRUCKS and SUVS. Why you would willingly put yourself in a LESSER vehicle knowing this is STUPID. That's ALL I was trying to point out.

Look at the picture moron, and you will notice the trucks bumper and center of mass is at a level that is higher than bumpers and collision zones nearly every car ever produced in America. Do you know what that means? It means the direct force of the truck will be applied above the bumper and collision zones of near every car currently produced, meaning that force will ride over the general mass of the car and continue into the interior space of the car unopposed. The engine, floor/sub-frame and suspension will continue below the truck bumper/center of mass, and the only thing that will be able to absorb the collision is the sheet metal of the hood, upper doors, upper fenders, the dash and the A and B pillars. None of these areas are engineered to withstand the impact of an 80,000 pound semi hitting them at full speeds.

None of the shit posted above is rocket science, it is common sense. Apply it to the picture 'for fucks sake already'.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
PAN

Post the appropriate picture cheese dick.

You spent five minutes coming up with shit to argue with yourself. I posted a picture showing how the truck destroys a small car and now you've typed all that to illustrate that picture.

And you call me the moron. Lol! Fucking dumbass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Look at the picture moron, and you will notice the trucks bumper and center of mass is at a level that is higher than bumpers and collision zones nearly every car ever produced in America. Do you know what that means? It means the direct force of the truck will be applied above the bumper and collision zones of near every car currently produced, meaning that force will ride over the general mass of the car and continue into the interior space of the car unopposed. The engine, floor/sub-frame and suspension will continue below the truck bumper/center of mass, and the only thing that will be able to absorb the collision is the sheet metal of the hood, upper doors, upper fenders, the dash and the A and B pillars. None of these areas are engineered to withstand the impact of an 80,000 pound semi hitting them at full speeds.

None of the shit posted above is rocket science, it is common sense. Apply it to the picture 'for fucks sake already'.

Stevo
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Gunga galunga

Gas taxes need to be raised, there isn't enough money to fix our infrastructure let alone expand as is. Just a few cent increase would generate billions of dollars. Expanding and fixing infrastructure would provide jobs and would relieve congestion. Congestion alone cost billions of gallons of fuel, and tens of billions of dollars in lost productivity.

That said I could give two shits about GM sales figures...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Gas taxes need to be raised, there isn't enough money to fix our infrastructure let alone expand as is. Just a few cent increase would generate billions of dollars. Expanding and fixing infrastructure would provide jobs and would relieve congestion. Congestion alone cost billions of gallons of fuel, and tens of billions of dollars in lost productivity.

I'm ok with that, but only after a good audit of the Texas DOT. Those fucker lost a billion bucks and have no fuckin' idea where it went. I'm pretty sure it went into the back pockets of a few people. That is one promise I hope Hutchinson keeps if she gets elected.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post

Before we raise the gas tax, how about we use the gas tax for FIXING THE DAMN ROADS? and building them?

Currently, 25% comes right off the top of the gas tax, and goes directly to education. The remaining 75% is split among about 15 state agencies, including some that is actually left over for DOT.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Time Served

Electric cars are retarded! RETARDED!

You want to know why anyone pushing for electric cars is a complete fool. Guess what you burn when you plug it into the wall at night to recharge it. COAL! How in the hell is that energy efficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement