CSPAN Challenging Obama... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Token Troll

CSPAN Challenging Obama...

...on his no-called "open door" policy and all the closed-door health care meetings.
Quote:
The head of C-SPAN has implored Congress to open up the last leg of health care reform negotiations to the public, as top Democrats lay plans to hash out the final product among themselves.

C-SPAN CEO Brian Lamb wrote to leaders in the House and Senate Dec. 30 urging them to open "all important negotiations, including any conference committee meetings," to televised coverage on his network.

"The C-SPAN networks will commit the necessary resources to covering all of the sessions LIVE and in their entirety," he wrote.

Congressional leaders, however, reportedly are expected to bypass the traditional conference committee process, in which lawmakers from both parties and chambers meet to reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions of a bill. Instead, The Associated Press reports that top Democrats at the House, Senate and White House will figure out the final product in three-way talks before sending it back to both chambers for a final vote.

This format would seem ideal for closed-door meetings, which congressional Democrats have used many times to figure out sensitive provisions in the health care bill -- though President Obama pledged during the campaign to open up health care talks to C-SPAN's cameras.

"That's what I will do in bringing all parties together, not negotiating behind closed doors, but bringing all parties together, and broadcasting those negotiations on C-SPAN so that the American people can see what the choices are," Obama said at a debate against Hillary Clinton in Los Angeles on Jan. 31, 2008.

Lamb urged Congress in his letter to fling open the doors in the final stretch of the negotiations.

"President Obama, Senate and House leaders, many of your rank-and-file members, and the nation's editorial pages have all talked about the value of transparent discussions on reforming the nation's health care system," he wrote. "Now that the process moves to the critical stage of reconciliation between the chambers, we respectfully request that you allow the public full access, through television, to legislation that will affect the lives of every single American."

Lamb said his network would use "the latest technology" to be "as unobtrusive as possible" during the talks.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...s-tv-coverage/

Bought time another media outlet starting calling him out.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

The man is such a cunt.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Lifer

Hes done that since day one. He has closed his doors on all important bills, not just healthcare. What about the 1200 page pork filled bill they shut the media out on earlier last year? He keeps doing it and obviously doesnt care and figured everyone will forget next election.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Lifer

hes toast on election day.

RON PAUL '08
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Lifer

I dont like the idea of closed door meetings, but can the president really do anything? the legislative branch gets to make their own rules, the president has no say.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I dont like the idea of closed door meetings, but can the president really do anything? the legislative branch gets to make their own rules, the president has no say.
They have their rules, but I can assure you, Obama is leaning on them hard to ram this through.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
They have their rules, but I can assure you, Obama is leaning on them hard to ram this through.
All of the deals he's cutting are being done behind closed doors.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
if they do manage to ram something through its not going to be what he originally asked for, he is not going to get his public option.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
I'd have to agree. I think Obama is doing the same bullshit that GWB did with the prescription drug bill. He doesn't give a damn what is in it any more. He just wants a bill so he can say that he reformed health care. He doesn't give a shit whether it actually fixes anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement