Houston biggest US city to elect openly gay mayor - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
RUN BABY RUN!!!

Houston biggest US city to elect openly gay mayor

What a joke. Glad I dont live there. Congratulations Trip (1Bad06)

Yahoo Link

HOUSTON – Houston became the largest U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor, with voters handing a solid victory to City Controller Annise Parker after a hotly contested runoff.

Parker defeated former city attorney Gene Locke with 53.6 percent of the vote Saturday in a race that had a turnout of only 16.5 percent.

"This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community. Just as it is about transforming the lives of all Houstonians for the better, and that's what my administration will be about," Parker told supporters after Locke conceded defeat.

Parker, 53, has never made a secret or an issue of her sexual orientation. But it became the focus of the race after anti-gay activists and conservative religious groups endorsed Locke and sent out mailers condemning Parker's "homosexual behavior."

Locke, 61, tried to distance himself from the anti-gay attacks while courting conservative voters who could tip the election in his favor. Meanwhile, gay and lesbian political organizations nationwide rallied to support Parker by raising money for her campaign and making calls urging people to vote.

Several other U.S. cities, including Portland, Ore., Providence, R.I., and Cambridge, Mass., have openly gay mayors, but none as large as Houston.

A little more than 152,000 residents turned out to cast ballots in the nation's fourth largest city, which has a population of 2.2 million. Of those voters, 81,743 chose Parker — some 11,000 votes more than Locke received.

Although Locke condemned the anti-gay rhetoric, two of his key supporters contributed money to a conservative political action committee that sent out an anti-gay mailer earlier this month, urging voters not to pick Parker because she was endorsed by the "gay and lesbian political caucus."

Campaign finance reports show Ned Holmes, finance chairman of Locke's campaign, and James Dannenbaum, a member of the campaign's finance committee, each gave $20,000.

Late Saturday, Locke offered his congratulations to Parker and urged the city to move on from the bruising campaign fight.

"Here's what our city needs now: It needs unity. It needs us to come together and heal like we've never healed before, and to move forward under a new administration," he said.

Parker and Locke, both Democrats in the nonpartisan race, advanced to the runoff after garnering more votes than two other candidates on Nov. 3. Parker will succeed Bill White, who is term-limited after serving six years and is seeking the Democratic nomination for governor.

Houston is predominantly Democratic and about 25 percent black and one-third Hispanic. About 60,000 of its residents identify themselves as gay or lesbian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Lifer

The gays in Houston stuck together and voted. It's the voters' fault for not turning out. This will change Houston's policies forever. Get ready...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Lifer

I had no idea there were so many cowboy fans in houston...

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooner View Post
What a joke.

What's the big deal?
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Lifer

Fucking turd burglars....
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
The gays in Houston stuck together and voted. It's the voters' fault for not turning out. This will change Houston's policies forever. Get ready...
I don't actually live in Houston, but am familar with all the candiates due to the non-stop media since the campaigns started. I didn't really care for any of the candiates, however she has been a Houstonian all of her life, been in the oil and gas business for a good portion of her life and has been openly gay since college....So what does her sexual orintation have anything to do with the way she governs Houston?
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
What's the big deal?
I have the same question. There is no reason that this individual cannot serve just fine as a public official.
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Lifer

If she makes this place a better city then im all for it.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
God forbid we let a homo run one of our cities.
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Oh noes! The gays are going to ruin everything!!!!!!1111!!!1111!!!!1!!!

Are you fucking for real?

post #11 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Who cares. I dont mind gay people, but I do have a problem when they self identify as gay before anything else (the in your face types). This candidate seems to be a well put together and respected business person who just happens to be homosexual. Let us judge by her political endeavors in the coming months.
post #12 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

An extremely liberal city just got even more liberal. Might be giving Austin a run for their money now!

post #13 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
An extremely liberal city just got even more liberal. Might be giving Austin a run for their money now!
I wouldnt call this city that liberal, seriously. Even for a Democrat Bill White was pretty centrist in his ideas. He did do some great stuff for the city, but this city has a long way to go in many aspects.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #14 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Anyone that eats pussy is ok in my books. Just saying
post #15 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
I wouldnt call this city that liberal, seriously. Even for a Democrat Bill White was pretty centrist in his ideas. He did do some great stuff for the city, but this city has a long way to go in many aspects.
The continued re-election of Sheila Jackson-Lee says otherwise.

post #16 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Oh God. Well shes just the female version of John Wiley Price, except not AS obnoxious. We do have Quanell X here though the Peoples representative. lmao.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #17 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Who cares. I dont mind gay people, but I do have a problem when they self identify as gay before anything else (the in your face types). This candidate seems to be a well put together and respected business person who just happens to be homosexual. Let us judge by her political endeavors in the coming months.
And that's the problem with gays, they seem to put the title before anything else and that becomes the central focus of their agenda.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #18 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
And that's the problem with gays, they seem to put the title before anything else and that becomes the central focus of their agenda.
While this is certainly an issue, the ones that do not do this earn my respect.
post #19 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
The solution is fairly simple for most of them, just give them what they want. Oh noes a fudge packer wants to marry another one...let them be just as miserable as the rest of us. They act out just like any group that feels disenfranchised. Look at the civil rights movement or the womens suffrage movement for similar examples.
post #20 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Clown

Quote:
Same as the continued election of Eddie Bernise Johnson.........So is Dallas all liberal now?
post #21 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
Same as the continued election of Eddie Bernise Johnson.........So is Dallas all liberal now?
Yup. Will be even more so when they elect a a dyke or ass plunger into office, though.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...tes/texas.html

post #22 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:

You could say that about anyone who has strong ""lifestyle convictions." Conservatives, Liberals, Republicans, Democrats, Christans, etc.
post #23 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Lifer

Honestly don't care.. As long as she is a good leader...

My neighbors are two lesbians and probably the nicest most helpful people I know.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #24 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
I do see a bit of that out there but in this specific case, the lady didn't. It was religious and conservative groups that tried to demonize her homosexuality.

Frankly I couldn't give a rats ass if someone is gay. I'm more concerned whether or not they are qualified for the job and come close to my own political stances..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #25 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
You could say that about anyone who has strong ""lifestyle convictions." Conservatives, Liberals, Republicans, Democrats, Christans, etc.
Impossible! Only the gays have an agenda to push!

It's been really hilarious to watch the right-wingers on this board become so "back to the basics" and "anti-agenda" now that their agendas aren't the ones being pushed. Reactions to events like this serve to prove that they'll be no different once their agendas are on the docket come 2010 or 2012.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law until you violate the rights of another."

post #26 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I'm actually glad the right wing lost (conservative). Serves us right for dipping to low levels like a bunch of democrats.
Maybe this will tell the rest of the party to stay to the topics at hand (economy, less govt, individualism) and forget about the bullshit social engineering.....
post #27 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Time Served

We elected a new mayor?

This city has MUCH bigger problems than the mayor's choice in genitalia. Perhaps we should be more worried about the fact that 95% of the area inside the Beltway resembles a third-world country.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #28 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang87 View Post
Anyone that eats pussy is ok in my books. Just saying
X2

Quote:
Like christians don't do the same thing across the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
We elected a new mayor?

This city has MUCH bigger problems than the mayor's choice in genitalia. Perhaps we should be more worried about the fact that 95% of the area inside the Beltway resembles a third-world country.
Thank you! I was born and raised on the south side of Houston (Hiram Clarke) and have said this for years.

Personally, I tend to be more conservative, but I'm not a bible thumper. You notice how the article pointed out, "Locke, 61, tried to distance himself from the anti-gay attacks..." People are growing tired of the hypocritical christian agenda. Anti-gay activists are always so angry and hateful. I was raised a Southern Baptist, though I no longer am, I remember always hearing, "hate the sin not the sinner." Not to mention stories of Jesus plainly point out that he hung out with less than reputable characters. He didn't belittle them and tell them they are going to burn in hell.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
~~Matthew 7 vs 1-5

If she helps to improve the Great city of Houston, I'm a fan. I don't care if she is gay, straight, or whatever, as long as she delivers on her promises.
post #29 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
God forbid we let a homo run one of our cities.
At least you see it my way! LOL! You guys enjoy her! Look what Lupe Valdez has done to the Dallas Sheriff's Dept.

post #30 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissenting_Patriot View Post
Not to mention stories of Jesus plainly point out that he hung out with less than reputable characters. He didn't belittle them and tell them they are going to burn in hell.
I see you left out the part where he was there to get them to try and change their ways. Not just to "hang out" with them. He saw what they were doing, and he knew it was wrong.

Quote:
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
~~Matthew 7 vs 1-5
All this is true. It's not for us to judge them. But since you are bringing all this bible stuff up, I would like to go ahead and point out that it says that homosexuality is wrong and immoral. So forgive me if I have a problem with someone who is openly immoral, being in a position of power, however small that power might be.
post #31 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
when it comes to money, its hard to find a more liberal city then Dallas.

post #32 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's a pretty broad generalization. About as accurate as saying all black people are gun toting gangsters. I guess spending all your free time in a gay bar could give you that impression though.
post #33 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
That's a pretty broad generalization. About as accurate as saying all black people are gun toting gangsters. I guess spending all your free time in a gay bar could give you that impression though.
What an attempt at a burn...that went nowhere.

On a side note, you really seem to champion the cause of the gay and lesbian community. I made a general statement based on the colors they typically show. Never did I once indicate any personal feelings about gays or what they do, so throwing out a 2nd grade insult doesn't really apply or have any affect here.

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #34 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Someone got offended. Someone's a fag.

post #35 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Lifer

Gawt damn there are a lot of homophobes on here! Seriously, what is the big deal about their sexual prefrence? We have heard the whole "they try to push their agenda on us" excuse but like already said, that goes for ANYONE. I seriously dont see the big deal about whether or not they prefer dick or pussy and how it applies to their ability to serve as mayor.
post #36 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Personally, I tend to be more conservative, but I'm not a bible thumper. You notice how the article pointed out, "Locke, 61, tried to distance himself from the anti-gay attacks..." People are growing tired of the hypocritical christian agenda. Anti-gay activists are always so angry and hateful. I was raised a Southern Baptist, though I no longer am, I remember always hearing, "hate the sin not the sinner." Not to mention stories of Jesus plainly point out that he hung out with less than reputable characters. He didn't belittle them and tell them they are going to burn in hell.

~~Matthew 7 vs 1-5

If she helps to improve the Great city of Houston, I'm a fan. I don't care if she is gay, straight, or whatever, as long as she delivers on her promises.
Non-religious but bringing up bible verses? Are you one of those types that will bash Christians, and if they attempt to combat you verbally, you throw up their faith as a reason they shouldn't debate you?

post #37 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
So forgive me if I have a problem with someone who is openly immoral, being in a position of power, however small that power might be.
I forgive you. Honestly though, what is the difference between someone being in a position of power and being "openly immoral" and someone being in a position of power and being "discretely immoral"? Anyone with half a mind could find bigger faults in public officials who are "upright and moral" christians. Things will never improve in our government until people stop focusing on the small tihngs that detract our attention from the larger issues at hand.

Quote:
Non-religious but bringing up bible verses? Are you one of those types that will bash Christians, and if they attempt to combat you verbally, you throw up their faith as a reason they shouldn't debate you?
No, I am not. I don't even consider myself a christian basher. I learned in high school debate that one of the easiest ways to counter the other sides argument is use one of their sources. Also, i do recall mentioning that i was raised in the baptist church. And by raised i don't mean I was forced to go to church once or twice a week. Literally i was raised in the baptist church. From the 6th grade to the 10th grade I lived at my church. Had a bed and all.
I don't have any real problem with christians. I do however have problems with people who are willing to degrade and harrass people simply because they choose a different lifestyle, meanwhile, they as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Chrisitan or not.
Back to the initail topic, I personally supported Locke, but not because Parker is a homosexual. There are more important issues to worry about in Houston that have nothing to do with the Mayor's sexual preference.
post #38 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Oh I agree. I really don't think we should focus on that at all. But if I were asked my opinion on the matter, that's what I would say. What we should focus on is all the bullshit that goes on with the rip off artists running the banks and other such large problems.
post #39 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
What we should focus on is all the bullshit that goes on with the rip off artists running the banks and other such large problems.
That sir I completely agree with. Too bad not enough people are willing to engage their minds and seek their own truth about the men behind the curtains.
post #40 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Pilgrim

lol at Dissenting Patriot for posting out of context Bible verses to try and support his point.
post #41 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang View Post
lol at Dissenting Patriot for posting out of context Bible verses to try and support his point.
lol at Phillystang for being a tool. How about actually adding to the debate instead of just trying to randomly flame someone, Or is cognitive thought just a little too much to ask of you? **pats Phillystang on the head** It's ok, good job on putting together a complete sentence!
post #42 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
lol at Phillystang for being a tool. How about actually adding to the debate instead of just trying to randomly flame someone, Or is cognitive thought just a little too much to ask of you? **pats Phillystang on the head** It's ok, good job on putting together a complete sentence!
I must have missed where the actual debate was.

Someone posts that it is a joke that Houston has elected a lesbian mayor. You then come in and say you don't care about her open sexual immorality along with posting out of context Bible verses to try and support your views.

It is fine that you have your view, but do you really think that your mishandling of the Bible and ad hominem comments towards me helps your position in this "debate"?
post #43 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
At least you see it my way! LOL! You guys enjoy her! Look what Lupe Valdez has done to the Dallas Sheriff's Dept.
Your sarcasm meter might be broke...I don't see how her sexual orientation is a large factor in this election. With her background in the petroleum industry she's probably fairly moderate at least to certain sectors.
post #44 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Your sarcasm meter might be broke...I don't see how her sexual orientation is a large factor in this election. With her background in the petroleum industry she's probably fairly moderate at least to certain sectors.
Who cares about her politics? She's...wait for it....GAY! Little baby Jesus with golden angel wings please come save us all from the awful tyranny of the fags!

post #45 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Lifer

I dont agree with her lifestyle, but if she cleans up this fucking city Im all for it. Houston needs a lot of work throughout. Just because someone doesnt agree with a certain aspect of their lives doesnt mean they arent capable of performing duties at hand when it comes to business or their job. Bunch of closed minded fucks that put up a blockade and as a society blocks growth/progression.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #46 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Do you think Dallas is conservative? LMAO!

I sure hope Houston doesn't become a major shithole city now that the Mayor is gay! That would be awful for it to go downhill from the great clean, decent city it has been so far.

< ---- hopes the sarcasm detectors are turned on and receiving well.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #47 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

I sure hope Houston doesn't become a major shithole city now that the Mayor is gay! That would be awful for it to go downhill from the great clean, decent city it has been so far.

I lived in Dallas up until 3 years ago.......It was being sarcastic. Houston has Shelia Jackson just like Dallas has Eddie Bernise Johnson....Houston has Quannel X just like Dallas has John Wiley Price.

As far as Houston being a shithole....It is no more of one than Dallas just larger.

Last edited by J&T's 82; 12-14-2009 at 11:32 PM.
post #48 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

If she's a fag, it's likely she tilts toward the liberal agenda. They at least have her ear. I like having gun rights to be able to defend my own life and the life of my family if need be, and as we all know the libtards hate that idea because they are lower life forms or something. Sad but true.
post #49 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
If she's a fag, it's likely she tilts toward the liberal agenda. They at least have her ear. I like having gun rights to be able to defend my own life and the life of my family if need be, and as we all know the libtards hate that idea because they are lower life forms or something. Sad but true.
She will absolutely tilt towards the liberal agenda, and that was my point. Any rug-muncher's political base (constituents) will be of the same ilk. How many queer conservatives are there? Anyone? The good news is that she's in Houston...what difference is one more turd in that toilet going to make?

post #50 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
She will absolutely tilt towards the liberal agenda, and that was my point. Any rug-muncher's political base (constituents) will be of the same ilk. How many queer conservatives are there? Anyone? The good news is that she's in Houston...what difference is one more turd in that toilet going to make?
Damn man, calm down!

I personally dont care considering Im a tarrant county resident and shes in Houston but Ill bite. My mom-in-law is gay and rides a harley and has more guns than I do. I guess that makes her conservative in your eyes? Oh but of course she supports gay marriage so that makes her liberal huh?

[email protected] boxes people must fit into....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement