As suspected...Swine Flu, no big deal - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Token Troll

As suspected...Swine Flu, no big deal

Over-hyped....ya...just a bit

Quote:
One of the most systematic looks yet at the swine flu pandemic confirms that it is at worst only a little more serious than an average flu season and could well be a good deal milder, researchers said Monday.

They analyzed data from Milwaukee and New York, two U.S. cities that have kept detailed tabs on outbreaks of H1N1, to calculate a likely mortality rate of 0.048 percent.

"That is, about 1 in 2,000 people who had symptoms of pandemic H1N1 infection died," Dr. Marc Lipsitch of Harvard University and colleagues wrote.

Probably 1.44 percent of patients with H1N1 who were sick enough to have symptoms were hospitalized, and 0.24 percent required intensive care, they added.

The findings, published in PLoS Medicine, a Public Library of Science journal, should be reassuring to public health officials and policymakers who worry that a flu pandemic could kill millions and worsen the global recession.

They do not, however, guarantee that H1N1 will not worsen, or that some other, stronger, strain of flu will not emerge.

"We have estimated ... that approximately 1.44 percent of symptomatic pandemic H1N1 patients during the spring in the United States were hospitalized; 0.239 percent required intensive care or mechanical ventilation; and 0.048 percent died," Lipsitch and colleagues wrote.

LOWER RATES

Using a different method and New York City data only, they said they calculated a much lower death rate of 0.007 percent.

Health experts agree it is impossible to count precisely how many people have been sickened by H1N1, which was declared a pandemic in June.

Few people are tested, tests are inaccurate and many people only have mild illness. So careful projections give a more accurate picture of a pandemic than actual counts of confirmed illnesses and deaths.

Lipsitch specializes in these sorts of calculations and a global estimate he did in September gave similar projections.

One open question is how many people have actually been infected. The U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention estimated in November that number was 22 million Americans.

Lipsitch's team calculated a potential range of 7,800 to 29,000 deaths.

This compares to seasonal flu, which kills 36,000 people a year and puts 200,000 into the hospital.

"To date, symptomatic attack rates seem to be far lower than 25 percent in both the completed Southern Hemisphere winter epidemic and the autumn epidemic in progress in the United States," the researchers added in their report, published at http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/...l.pmed.1000207.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20091207...y-011ccfa.html

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Lifer

Same propagands techniques Hitler and Stalin used on their citizens. This type of shit relies on passiveness...and thats what this country has turned into..a bunch of lazy, passive pieces of shit. H1N1 is no more dangerous than the typical influenza virus. I work in healthcare and have never gotten a flu shot and never will...and I have never had the flu that I know of.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Same propagands techniques Hitler and Stalin used on their citizens. This type of shit relies on passiveness...and thats what this country has turned into..a bunch of lazy, passive pieces of shit. H1N1 is no more dangerous than the typical influenza virus. I work in healthcare and have never gotten a flu shot and never will...and I have never had the flu that I know of.
As Emril would say "BAM"!

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
KAZ
Time Served

Quote:
I never get the flu shot either, but this was a tough decision for me with my 2yr old son. Our pediatrician recommended giving him both flu shots and that's what my wife and I ultimately ended up doing.
If you had a 2yr old what would you have done? He does suffer from sinus type allergies and pretty much stayed sick his first yr. in daycare, but hasn't been sick once this entire yr.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
I never get the flu shot either, but this was a tough decision for me with my 2yr old son. Our pediatrician recommended giving him both flu shots and that's what my wife and I ultimately ended up doing.
If you had a 2yr old what would you have done? He does suffer from sinus type allergies and pretty much stayed sick his first yr. in daycare, but hasn't been sick once this entire yr.
We didn't. Course ours isn't in day care or anything to his risk was minimal.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
PAN

I have some variant of the flu or cold right now and dammit I wish I could breathe out of my nose!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Time Served

I have been trying to tell people this shit ever since the media and the government blew it up and made a big deal out of it.

That right there alone should let you know that it's lies!

68 Coupe- 351w, Twisted Wedge heads, XE284 cam, T5, disc conversion, former 6 cylinder car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
(thats right, in a fucking duel with guns, Jackson allowed his oppenent to fucking shoot at him before shooting back). Now we have Obama, who is a little bitch. God damn the presidency of the US is just not the same as it used to be.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
I have a 2yr old...and an 8yr old. None of us get it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Worship me

My two year old boy, who has the constitution of a fucking race horse and has been sick a total of two days in his life got the inhaled mist version of this stupid vaccine on Thursday. Fucking doctor said there would be no side effects.

102 degree temperature on Saturday which slowly went away by Sunday night. Now he has a cough.

Fucking pissed me off, I'd like to punch someone in the god damn face.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
PAN

None of us are getting it. To hell with that...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
IA2

Never had a flu shot. The last time I had the flu was in the 6th grade. Been thru several flu epidemics at work (you know, where everyone else is out), and the worst thing that happened was I got the shits (and that may have been related to drinking beer for all I know).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Lifer

the shot is a live flu virus.

do LOTS of research before getting inline for something

ive never,nor will i ever take the shot.

summed up,its a scare tactic by the people that rape you everyday.

RON PAUL '08
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 AM
NES Crew

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:07 AM
KEK

Work makes me get one, or I is in big troubles.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Lifer

My work made me get one...but I didnt. Had the nurse give me a saline injection.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Agreed on all points.

I too use to be in the health care field. Never had a flu shot of any kind. Never got the flu while on the job. However, that could have been do to my limited patient exposure as I worked in a pre-hospital environment as a Paramedic.

Statistically speaking, H1N1 is insignificant compared to your garden variety Influenza virus in terms of world wide deaths.

There is always something that someone wants us (society) to be afraid of. There is big money to be had in exploiting people's fears. And a lot of time it takes just mere speculation with little to no common sense involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement