First new stem cell lines approved for funding - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

First new stem cell lines approved for funding

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/...lls/index.html

Quote:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* 13 new human embryonic stem cell lines approved for use in federally funded research
* Before, federal funding for such research was limited to cell lines created before August 2001
* National Institutes of Health says advisory board is considering 20 additional lines
* In March, President Obama changed rules on federal funding for stem cell research

Washington (CNN) -- Thirteen new human embryonic stem cell lines have been approved for use in federally funded research -- the first to be approved under an executive order from President Obama -- the National Institutes of Health announced Wednesday.

Under the administration of President George W. Bush, federal funding for such research was limited to cell lines created before August 2001. Obama issued an executive order in March repealing that policy and ordering the NIH to adopt guidelines for the creation of new stem cell lines and their use.

"I am happy to say that we now have human embryonic stem cell lines eligible for use by our research community under our new stem cell policy," said NIH Director Francis Collins. "In accordance with the guidelines, these stem cell lines were derived from embryos that were donated under ethically sound informed consent processes. More lines are under review now, and we anticipate continuing to expand this list of responsibly derived lines eligible for NIH funding."

The NIH said 11 stem cell lines from a lab at Children's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, qualify for federal funding, as do two lines developed at New York's Rockefeller University.

"An additional 20 more lines are being considered by the NIH advisory board on Friday," Collins said.

He said the NIH has received 109 applications for federal funding so far, including these 20 to be looked at by the end of this week.

Collins told reporters in a conference call that the goal is to quickly move forward in the approval process so research in this field can expand.

On March 9, 2009, Obama signed an executive order that changed the rules on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research.

The new rules removed the restrictions set by the Bush administration, which limited federal funding to 60 stem cell cultures that were developed before August 9, 2001.

Human embryonic stem cells are believed to have the potential to develop into any type of cell in the human body. However, because they are harvested from embryos left over from fertility treatments, and removal of the stem cells destroys the embryo, the promise of the research has been mired in controversy.

On July 7, the National Institutes of Health published guidelines that researchers must meet in order to apply for federal funding for this type of research.

Under these guidelines, stem cells harvested in laboratories that were privately funded are now eligible for federal research dollars, something that wasn't possible under the Bush administration's rules.

During his administration, George W. Bush restricted funding on stem cell research, saying that scientific advances allowed researchers to conduct groundbreaking research without destroying human embryos.

But in signing his executive order, Obama disagreed.

"In recent years, when it comes to stem cell research, rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said at the White House.

"In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering. I believe we have been given the capacity and will to pursue this research -- and the humanity and conscience to do so responsibly."

The president pledged to develop "strict guidelines" to ensure that such research "never opens the door to the use of cloning for human reproduction."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Lifer

Good. already lost 8 years.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Lifer

about damn time

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Good. already lost 8 years.
I have no problem with ESC research personally, but it's really an overblown issue.

- Other countries have had ESCs and funding for "eight years" now and they haven't done anything with it. So far, all stem cell therapies utilize adult stem cells. They're still trying to figure out how to get ESCs to work, but they think they will be powerful when they do.

- It was never illegal to perform research on existing ESCs - you just weren't going to get federal funding for harvest and research on new ESC lines.

- No one has been able to discern differences between the behavior of embryonic stem cells and umbilical stem cells - except USCs do not require the fetus to be killed to harvest.

It's a stupid issue and has been used to vilify GWB. Get back with us in "eight years" and let us know what kind of advances have been made. I hope there are some.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I have no problem with ESC research personally, but it's really an overblown issue.

- Other countries have had ESCs and funding for "eight years" now and they haven't done anything with it. So far, all stem cell therapies utilize adult stem cells. They're still trying to figure out how to get ESCs to work, but they think they will be powerful when they do.

- It was never illegal to perform research on existing ESCs - you just weren't going to get federal funding for harvest and research on new ESC lines.

- No one has been able to discern differences between the behavior of embryonic stem cells and umbilical stem cells - except USCs do not require the fetus to be killed to harvest.

It's a stupid issue and has been used to vilify GWB. Get back with us in "eight years" and let us know what kind of advances have been made. I hope there are some.
This is my only problem with ESC harvesting, which I believe is why GWB banned the use of federal money for it.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
T-MINUS

I thought the use of ASC's proved to be very beneficial while the use of ESC's had some problems?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
This is my only problem with ESC harvesting, which I believe is why GWB banned the use of federal money for it.
He didn't even ban it outright, just limited the government funding to the already established embryonic stem cell lines. The brits and aussies are frankly doing more with adult stem cells than the brazillians are with embryonics.

Give me a dollar.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
about damn time
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post

Considering that federally funded research on ESCs was never blocked on existing lines, never even messed with in the private sector to begin with, and the fact that most of the advances worldwide have been from "adult" stem cells, I fail to see how this is a Big F'n deal to some....

It's just a left-over issue from the hot-bed subject of abortion... no one is going to "fully" agree on it and no one ever will.... My family has actually banned the subject from the dinner table... LMAO

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Lifer

My father HAD diabetes, he no longer has it. Just saying...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM
PAN

Lol. Not obvious at all that Taylor is fishing for drama...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564826 View Post

Lemme guess, bush personally gave him diabetes, and obama personally cured it, huh?

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Lemme guess, bush personally gave him diabetes, and obama personally cured it, huh?

Stevo
How so on either account, I don't get it? What does Ex-President Gorge W. Bush and
President Barak H. Obama have anything to do with my fathers cure on his Diabetes???
Please explain!!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Lol. Not obvious at all that Taylor is fishing for drama...
Not sure how I'm fishing for drama by making a thread about politics...in the political forum.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Time Served

Quote:
So how was he cured?

Was it a direct result of Embryonic Stem Cell research?
From private research or from research assisted by federal funds?

Result of Adult stem cell research?

or from something else?

BTW, Glad your dad is better....

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Stem cell with private funding.
Thanks for giving my father the best of luck, he has been insulin free for about two years
now.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Lifer

Private funding? So why should Uncle Barry have us provide funding? If there's a need, the private sector will find a way, which in your dad's case, already has.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I'm glad to see the new lines were approved. I believe several more lines are in the process to be approved for next year..

For the record, there was NO FEDERAL FUNDING of ESC research BEFORE the Bush Administration. Bush is the one that started federal funding. He simply put limits on which stem cell lines could be used. He tried to balance the ethical questions with the scientific needs. I think he sided a bit to heavily on the ethical (aka religious) side of things but I applaud him for making a real effort for something that is totally new to this world..

I also applaud the current administration for building on the existing rules instead of scrapping them. Progress is being made.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks for giving my father the best of luck, he has been insulin free for about two years
now.
That's awesome. Good for him.x

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
now.
If you don't mind, provide us with a link to said cure, there are millions of others that have diabetes that have yet to be informed of this miracle cure, and for some odd reason, neither has their doctors.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
If you don't mind, provide us with a link to said cure, there are millions of others that have diabetes that have yet to be informed of this miracle cure, and for some odd reason, neither has their doctors.

Stevo
Is this a serious a question?
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Time Served

Quote:
now.
Every once in a while, things work as they should...

Companies investing and making a profit while the populace receives a great product....

As usual, just keep government out of these equations and we won't be having these ethical "discussions" to begin with...

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
Every once in a while, things work as they should...

Companies investing and making a profit while the populace receives a great product....

As usual, just keep government out of these equations and we won't be having these ethical "discussions" to begin with...

Very well said, and I could not agree more.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
Very well said, and I could not agree more.
Absolutely!!!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Lifer

Type I Diabetes has been cured (in some cases) or improved through Pancreatic transplants, not as a result of stem cell research. I understand the stem cell science and the potential, but I would like to know what facility is currently using stem cells to cure Diabetes in human trials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Is this a serious a question?
Yes it is.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, was told that i would be insulin dependent for the rest of my life. The cause of my diabetes (I was told) was genetic and set off by a severe viral infection (gastrointestinal) which damaged my pancreas. I was in the ICU for 5 days, on an insulin pump because I was DKA. I was told my body would never again produce it's own insulin.
A few months later, I found myself having to reduce my insulin daily to the point to where I couldn't even take it, and yet the doctors kept saying I needed to do the injections, as there was no way my body could produce insulin. I stopped taking the injections last February, and haven't had ANY issue with my blood sugar, which I still check often.
I didn't receive any 'miracle' stem cell research cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
Type I Diabetes has been cured (in some cases) or improved through Pancreatic transplants, not as a result of stem cell research. I understand the stem cell science and the potential, but I would like to know what facility is currently using stem cells to cure Diabetes in human trials?
I would also, because the two different endocrinologists that I saw after I was originally diagnosed were adamant that there was no medical 'cure' or treatment for the type 1 diabetes that I was diagnosed as having other than self administering insulin injects. I checked, as I am (or was, rather) a needle phobic and cannot stand needles.

So yeah, show us the link of this miracle diabetes cure that comes from stem cell research.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Maybe he had it done in another country? The U.S. isn't the only country pursuing stem cell research is it?

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yes it is.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, was told that i would be insulin dependent for the rest of my life. The cause of my diabetes (I was told) was genetic and set off by a severe viral infection (gastrointestinal) which damaged my pancreas. I was in the ICU for 5 days, on an insulin pump because I was DKA. I was told my body would never again produce it's own insulin.
A few months later, I found myself having to reduce my insulin daily to the point to where I couldn't even take it, and yet the doctors kept saying I needed to do the injections, as there was no way my body could produce insulin. I stopped taking the injections last February, and haven't had ANY issue with my blood sugar, which I still check often.
I didn't receive any 'miracle' stem cell research cure.

I would also, because the two different endocrinologists that I saw after I was originally diagnosed were adamant that there was no medical 'cure' or treatment for the type 1 diabetes that I was diagnosed as having other than self administering insulin injects. I checked, as I am (or was, rather) a needle phobic and cannot stand needles.

So yeah, show us the link of this miracle diabetes cure that comes from stem cell research.

Stevo
You're a lucky dude. I'm surprised that you're not a "lab rat" in some medical research facility. I wonder what jump-started your pancreas? That's a tough disease, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
You're a lucky dude. I'm surprised that you're not a "lab rat" in some medical research facility. I wonder what jump-started your pancreas? That's a tough disease, and I'm glad it worked out for you.
I and another doctor, believe that the entire lining of my pancreas was not damaged from the infection, and that my body needed time for the remaining cells to start producing more insulin. The main issue stemmed from the first doctor that refused to believe me after she made her diagnosis, and the next doctor not wanting to believe me over the first doctor.

As is was reducing my insulin daily, I even kept a journal for three months showing my bloodsugar five time a day along with my insulin doses, and the fucking doctor told me he thought my journal was "suspicious", basically calling me a liar. It wasn't until my A1C test, which was over 13 during the time I was in ICU, was 5.7 after a month of not taking any insulin, for him to even consider that I wouldn't be insulin dependent for the rest of my life. Even then, he mentioned that if I still continued to not inject insulin, he could not remain to be my doctor because, in his words, he "could not manage my illness".

Basically, all this ranting is just to show you that all doctors do not know what the fuck they are talking about, and even when shown proof, some of them are still hard-headed assholes that refuse to admit they are wrong, or that something beyond their books can happen in a person's body.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement