Privatization of American Education - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Privatization of American Education

This is a subject that's been popping up fairly often in one my economics classes this semester and it's one that always gets me thinking for a few minutes after it comes up, but it's also something that I've yet to hear outside of the confines of a classroom or theoretical discussion.

I've personally got very little faith in the American education system and by and large I think it's failed several generations of students at the very least. It's ineffective, inefficient and in a country where the ability to educate our citizens to a higher level is one of the last strongholds we hold over countries like China I believe that we need to be doing a better job of educating our children and young adults.

I also don't believe in our government's ability to effectively reform our schools. Their most recent attempt to fix the education system was No Child Left Behind, which may have been the single largest blow ever to the advancement of our education system.

That said, privatization carries a lot of issues with it as well that would make its implementation difficult to justify to the American people and difficult to carry out.

I've got a decent list of what I believe to be the pro's and con's of privatizing our education system, but I'm interested in hearing what those of you on here think about it because it's something that I don't think I've ever heard more than a few people talk about.

Discuss away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Lifer

I think it would lead to abuse of the American people just like insurance and healthcare...
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
I think it would lead to abuse of the American people just like insurance and healthcare...
How so?

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

The middle class would benefit - the upper class already sends their kids to private school. The big loser would be the poor. Could be argued that they already receive sub par educations in the ghetto schools they go to.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
How so?
Schools would be turned into a greedy money making operation and since it is a necessity, they could charge whatever they wanted and we would have to pay for it. Zoning would be gone and schools would take all students who could pay the tuition...better schools would charge more and kids that live down the street but couldnt afford that school so they will have to go to a cheaper school across town.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Lifer

This has been an on-going debate since desegregation started. Public schools have no future. They are so top-heavy in administration, there's no where to go but DOWN. It feeds on itself. Teachers rarely get fired, so they get bumped into administration, and sometimes have jobs "created" for them. I saw the abuse and corruption first hand many years ago, when I was involved with the DISD. There are too many kids that don't want to be there, and they demand most of the attention the teachers have to give. The free lunch and breakfast programs are abused to the point that it's laughable. I've personally witnessed kids getting out of mom's Lexus, and going straight to the cafeteria for their free waffles...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Schools would be turned into a greedy money making operation and since it is a necessity, they could charge whatever they wanted and we would have to pay for it. Zoning would be gone and schools would take all students who could pay the tuition...better schools would charge more and kids that live down the street but couldnt afford that school so they will have to go to a cheaper school across town.
That's already happening. So competition would never come into play?

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Lifer

I like the idea of privatization, I think we have way to much bureaucracy and government oversight in our education systems. our education system is still very primitive, there is little emphasis on modern education techniques.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I like the idea of privatization, I think we have way to much bureaucracy and government oversight in our education systems. our education system is still very primitive, there is little emphasis on modern education techniques.
A big reason for that is the lack of students who care. There's a generation of parents and students, that don't value education. It's a societal thing...

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Lifer

The more that whites become the minority, the more that this will occur...most black families just do not give a shit about education.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
The more that whites become the minority, the more that this will occur...most black families just do not give a shit about education.
Why should they when there are more important things like Rapping and Professional Sports to strive for?
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Why should they when there are more important things like Rapping and Professional Sports to strive for?

Because it pays more....

Theres a problem with a society that pays athletes $40million a year and teachers $40k a year. I think teaching jobs should be like physicians...very difficult to get into and well paying.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Because it pays more....

Theres a problem with a society that pays athletes $40million a year and teachers $40k a year. I think teaching jobs should be like physicians...very difficult to get into and well paying.
Of course the odds are incredibly long to make that sort of money in music or sports, but no one wants to hear that. The 99.99% that never make it, wind up robbing the rest of us blind, either with a gun or through public assistance programs.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Of course the odds are incredibly long to make that sort of money in music or sports, but no one wants to hear that. The 99.99% that never make it, wind up robbing the rest of us blind, either with a gun or through public assistance programs.
Amen...Obama, you want to make some changes for the better for America? Clean house on the lazy fuckers on public assistance. But he isnt gonna do that to his homies.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Lifer

Good info about the subject here...

http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/pnpriv1.html
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Good info about the subject here...

http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/pnpriv1.html
Great website, and one that EVERY tax-payer should read.

I find it interesting that it cost $12k per student per year in New York, but only $5k per student in Utah. Hmmmm.

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Lifer

Lots of good info on that site...
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:31 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Privatization is one method that could possibly help the situation but I think a voucher system would be vastly more effective. Make public schools compete with each other and have the real possibility that teachers and admins will lose their jobs. They'll get their shit straight real quick..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Factory Issue

Even if it's privatized, I fear it'll still be socialized through the back door. The schools themselves will be private, but funding the students through public assistance would still be around. I'm a bigger fan of the old English tiered system where the better teachers and students are pulled up into better, more intensive schools, very often focused on specific courses of study. Basically, highschool ends up functioning as a college, and all the kids involved are better prepared for a university. If we're going to socialize things, let's at least make them agressive systems, and get our money's worth.

Give me a dollar.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Even if it's privatized, I fear it'll still be socialized through the back door. The schools themselves will be private, but funding the students through public assistance would still be around. I'm a bigger fan of the old English tiered system where the better teachers and students are pulled up into better, more intensive schools, very often focused on specific courses of study. Basically, highschool ends up functioning as a college, and all the kids involved are better prepared for a university. If we're going to socialize things, let's at least make them agressive systems, and get our money's worth.
It's a great theory, but them racism/favoritism come into play. Years ago in Desoto, the district was forced to change the "criteria" for the "talented and gifted" program. Seems as though some parents didn't approve of what was considered "talented and gifted" (staright A's and a teacher recommendation), so several exceptions were made. After a few years of that, it meant nothing at all to be in the program.

post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
That sounds like what's occurring now, except that it's purely defined by zipcode. If you regulate the system just enough insure that no oligopolization/centralization of firms occurs, that won't be a problem; the competition between schools will be reason to control prices and manage the quality of education.

I still think the government would have to be somewhat involved to make it work, like dealing with the issues that arise in more rural areas that will be susceptible to a monopoly. I'd have no issues with vouchers paid for by a state tax of some sort being issued on an income basis as well.

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I've personally got very little faith in the American education system and by and large I think it's failed several generations of students at the very least. It's ineffective, inefficient and in a country where the ability to educate our citizens to a higher level is one of the last strongholds we hold over countries like China I believe that we need to be doing a better job of educating our children and young adults.
Don’t buy into that liberal canard that public education is somehow failing our children.

The failures of our public education system are nothing more than a reflection of the destruction of the American family. The attack on American culture, as championed by the left, has undercut the traditional Calvinist values of hard work and personal accountability and replaced them with an entitlement mentality that assigns blame and correction to others. The day we reject the multiculturalism experiment and reclaim our American heritage is the day that we start moving toward a unified solution. Until then the politically correct Pollyannas will continue to steer our country, and our future, into the ditch.

And really, the only people who bitch about the quality of public education are the worthless deadbeats that are either too lazy or too dumb to invest the amount of time and effort it takes to be a good (involved) parent. A parent who thinks that their obligation toward their child’s education ends at the school door is a bad parent. It is the singular responsibility of the parent to educate their child. Period. No amount of money, no federal mandate, no tricked up curriculum is going to change that.

Here are the test scores and demographics of the best and worst elementary schools in Arlington. Remember these schools are in the same district – so they have the same funding, draw from the same pool of teachers, derive their lesson plans from the same curriculum.

Schoolwide Reading Proficiency ? 97.6%
Schoolwide Math Proficiency ? 96.5%

Classroom Profile

Economically Disadvantaged 8.7%
Breakdown by Ethnicity
White 80.4%
Black 3.0%
Hispanic 9.6%
Asian/Pacific Islander 7.1%

Schoolwide Reading Proficiency ? 72.3%
Schoolwide Math Proficiency ? 61.3%

Classroom Profile

Economically Disadvantaged 85.8%
Breakdown by Ethnicity
White 7.0%
Black 21.0%
Hispanic 63.4%
Asian/Pacific Islander 8.4%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0.2%

Why the disparity in test scores?

The students, and more importantly their parents, are the variable in this equation. Not surprisingly… children that speak English at home, as opposed to Spanish, Vietnamese or Ebonics, do better in school. Children whose parents are better employed (and presumably better educated) do better in school. Children who are in loving, supportive and stable two parent households do better in school.

You can’t ‘spend’ or ‘lesson play’ away these built in disadvantages. Kids who grow up in an environment that looks like the Springer show or ‘Boyz n the Hood’ are rarely going to compete with Wally and Beaver.

But I understand liberal idiot-o-logy… it takes a village.

Bullshit. It takes a family.

Unless you’re trying to ‘change’ America into something else.

"Destroy the family, and the society will collapse." Lenin
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownragtop View Post
Don’t buy into that liberal canard that public education is somehow failing our children.
That was a lot of information, but I didn't see a proposed solution in there. Also, can you post a link to the study where you sourced your information? I'm curious what it has to say about pure socio-economic comparisons, like some others I've read. I've read a few different sources that contend that the worst schools in the country are in extremely rural and poor all white areas, like Appalachia, as opposed to the urban, black/latino schools that are stereotypically the worst.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Public school isn't failing the American public. I've got two in public school that are doing great.

But, hell, it is great to talk about the failure in school circles... so you get more funding.

I agree with Blownragtop on this. It is more of a symptom of stupid ass parents and a lack of priority on education in certain families.

For example, my kids are in PISD and both at Exemplary schools. PISD missed a recognized rating because of 1 middle school where 33 African Americans failed the science portion of a middle school science class. 50K enrollment and 33 kids decided the fate of the entire school district.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:
sounds alot like college now! public school is a joke, you dont learn shit and without a college education you will get nowhere.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Because it pays more....

Thats why i cant stand professional sports, even a bench warmer makes way more than a hard working guy will make in his lifetime. Its fucking bullshit.

I also think rich fucks should pay way higher fines when they break the law. Fining a millionaire a couple hundred bucks is laughable to them, hit them where it hurts to get the point across. If a guy can afford a $500k car and go speeding down the highway, well then he can afford a $500k ticket for being a dumbass aswell!

To people that say this is unfair, STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra View Post
Public school isn't failing the American public. I've got two in public school that are doing great.
I did great in public schools, but it had very little to do with the education I was receiving at school.

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
Thats why i cant stand professional sports, even a bench warmer makes way more than a hard working guy will make in his lifetime. Its fucking bullshit.

I also think rich fucks should pay way higher fines when they break the law. Fining a millionaire a couple hundred bucks is laughable to them, hit them where it hurts to get the point across. If a guy can afford a $500k car and go speeding down the highway, well then he can afford a $500k ticket for being a dumbass aswell!

To people that say this is unfair, STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!!
So you should get penalized more purely because you're wealthy? That's got to be the dumbest shit I've read on here in months.

post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
sounds alot like college now! public school is a joke, you dont learn shit and without a college education you will get nowhere.
How does that sound like college now? You've got thousands of choices across the country at hundreds of different price ranges offering hundreds of different types of educations. There's absolutely nothing about that that sounds like our current collegiate system.

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
That was a lot of information, but I didn't see a proposed solution in there.
There is no (government) solution – that’s the point. School performance will improve when parents, and by extension their children, become engaged in the process. This isn’t necessarily a race or economic issue – it’s a cultural issue. It is my opinion (and this is only my opinion) that in general whites and Asians place a greater importance on education than do Latinos and blacks. Similar comparisons could be made on the basis of wealth and the education level of the parents. They are all interrelated – for in our society education is the great equalizer. Cultural groups that devalue education are unavoidably less affluent. And so it continues… a self perpetuating cycle of defeatism.

You can pull data from schooldatadirect
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM
The Janitor

Well, if you want an example of the successes of our education system in hte private sector, look at our university system here. While we might lag behind in our primary and secondary education to other countries,we are completely triumphant at the university level.

People from around the world send their kids here.
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Time Served

Quote:
So you should get penalized more purely because you're wealthy? That's got to be the dumbest shit I've read on here in months.
Well known that rich people use their money to buy people, hire sly lawyers and do all kinds of fucked up shit because their money allows them to. So youre saying that because they are wealthy that when they fuck up it shouldnt effect them the same way it effects a common person? Couple hundred dollar fine to a workin guy could be a weeks paycheck, to a rich overpaid celeb it isnt shit. They would probably ask if they could pay cash on the spot just to get the cop out of their face thats embarrassing them with their trival fines.

Fact is, fines, laws and morals is what keeps people straight but unfortunatly some people dont seem to have any morals so we have to have laws.

Quote:
How does that sound like college now? You've got thousands of choices across the country at hundreds of different price ranges offering hundreds of different types of educations. There's absolutely nothing about that that sounds like our current collegiate system.

Go back and read what i was quoting and think about how much people pay for college.

post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
Well, if you want an example of the successes of our education system in hte private sector, look at our university system here. While we might lag behind in our primary and secondary education to other countries,we are completely triumphant at the university level.

People from around the world send their kids here.

Yup and then go back to india ETC and put americans out of work with their lower cost of living. Working out great for the american middle class!

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy
Go back and read what i was quoting and think about how much people pay for college.
That does nothing to refute my point. Colleges don't just charge whatever they want because they can't; there are far too many of them for that to be viable.

Education isn't cheap to purchase because it's not cheap to supply; have you even begun to think about the millions and millions of dollars it takes to run a college/university?

Even so, you can't think of it entirely in upfront costs. The benefits of additional earnings in the long run should fairly heavily outweigh the costs, provided that you do decently in school, choose a useful field of study and that you're able to function in the real world.

post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Well known that rich people use their money to buy people, hire sly lawyers and do all kinds of fucked up shit because their money allows them to. So youre saying that because they are wealthy that when they fuck up it shouldnt effect them the same way it effects a common person? Couple hundred dollar fine to a workin guy could be a weeks paycheck, to a rich overpaid celeb it isnt shit. They would probably ask if they could pay cash on the spot just to get the cop out of their face thats embarrassing them with their trival fines.
Disregard my previous statements. You just made it readily apparent to me that I'm attempting to converse with a complete moron and I'm in no mood to handle that right now.

post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Time Served

Quote:
That does nothing to refute my point. Colleges don't just charge whatever they want because they can't; there are far too many of them for that to be viable.

Education isn't cheap to purchase because it's not cheap to supply; have you even begun to think about the millions and millions of dollars it takes to run a college/university?

Even so, you can't think of it entirely in upfront costs. The benefits of additional earnings in the long run should fairly heavily outweigh the costs, provided that you do decently in school, choose a useful field of study and that you're able to function in the real world.
Oh im not knocking college, i think if someone has kids and no plans to send them to college then they are fucked. You MUST go to college to get any kind of decent job, ya know kinda like a high school education used to do. Except now you are 10s of thousands of dollars in debt BEFORE you even start making any real money and you still acually arent making anything until that debt is paid off. That is of course, assuming you can actually find a job much less one that doesnt require a college degree and pays an indian wage.

Quote:
Disregard my previous statements. You just made it readily apparent to me that I'm attempting to converse with a complete moron and I'm in no mood to handle that right now.
Nice cop out, cant answer the question cause i made a good point. Thats liberal tactics right there! Cant argue a point and go right to insults! Well since im guessing youre an accountant, i bet youre one those people that thinks shipping jobs overseas is a great idea cause according to the numbers it makes great sense!!

No wonder you are so hostile about this! Aspiring to be an accountant for a fat cat CEO?

post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Well since im guessing youre an accountant, i bet youre one those people that thinks shipping jobs overseas is a great idea cause according to the numbers it makes great sense!!

No wonder you are so hostile about this! Aspiring to be an accountant for a fat cat CEO?
I am an accounting major, but it's my belief in free markets that keeps me from worrying about outsourcing, not the bottom line mostly because I don't have a bottom line to worry about. Yet. If Americans are losing jobs to outsourcing it's because they're not being competitive with the labor they're supplying. Outsourcing is the market's way of telling you that you either need to get better at what you're doing, accept less money for what you're doing or get into a different field.

And no, I'm aspiring to be the fat cat CEO, mostly because everyone knows that CEO's and upper-level managers certainly don't do any kind of leg work to get into their positions and definitely don't do any work once they're there. Oh, and when you're rich you get to buy your way out of/in to anything.

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I am an accounting major, but it's my belief in free markets that keeps me from worrying about outsourcing, not the bottom line mostly because I don't have a bottom line to worry about. Yet. If Americans are losing jobs to outsourcing it's because they're not being competitive with the labor they're supplying. Outsourcing is the market's way of telling you that you either need to get better at what you're doing, accept less money for what you're doing or get into a different field.

And no, I'm aspiring to be the fat cat CEO, mostly because everyone knows that CEO's and upper-level managers certainly don't do any kind of leg work to get into their positions and definitely don't do any work once they're there. Oh, and when you're rich you get to buy your way out of/in to anything.
Heard those points before.

America was the best manufacting country in the world with some of the highest quality standards. We were also the hardest working country in the world with a 40 hour work week compared to most european countries. China in comparison? Lead in paint and toxic drywall are two recent examples. The chinese are worked to death like slaves for shit ass wages. America was the example that the world strived to be like. We showed the world how to build a strong middle class and our country benefitted from it, its what made this country what it is today. There was no reason whatsoever to change our foundation of what built this country. We were sold out to increase companies profits and americans were able to do the jobs better than the chinese. Saying people are stupid, need to get a college degree, or need to work for less is BS. We had jobs and opporuntities even for those people to come up in big ways. Immrigation was welcomed because we had so many jobs that the american people couldnt fill. Most people now bitch about immigration because they are taking jobs, thats because jobs are so few now.

Americans cant take less money cause they cant afford to live here then. Its like how you said to consider how much it costs to run a school. Well how much does it cost an average joe to buy a house, a car, pay for their kids AND save for retirement? Chinese dont have to worry about that to anywhere near the same extent cause they are commies. Should i feel bad for the chinese? Fuck no, its the peoples fault for allowing a communist ass government to remain in power, keeping the people down. Now we are funding the communist governments when our plan used to be to bankrupt them. We owe them more money than america is worth, how in the fuck did that happen!?

Lastly, get into a different field.....So you mean like go get a degree and work hard to better yourself. Thats great, its the american way. Problem is, there are already 100s of thousands of people dying to get into that same field. The markets are flooded with job seekers which mean wages will drop big time. So now you are spending a 100k to get a degree for a job that makes 40k a year....awesome. Used to be, you went to college to make BIG money not to barely scrape by. Working harder for less, sorry i think this was a step backwards for america.

CEOs in america get paid insane bonuses for being "genius" for figuring out that if they fire american workers and hire chinese that they are more profitable! Also, if the company tanks due to their such great leadership they can get a bailout. You said american workers need to take a pay cut, what about the CEOs and upper management aswell? I dont see them getting nailed like everyone else, they usually get raises! Successful business men used to respect their workers cause they knew without them they wouldnt be shit. Now they tell their workers they arent gettin a christmas bonus because it would cut into the 10 million bonus the already over paid CEO is getting. They have forced the american people to fight over scraps.

also regarding rich fucks. OJ simpson ....enough said. +

Last edited by Slammy; 11-30-2009 at 09:02 PM.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 PM
T-MINUS

My kids are in private school. It'll stay that way. I just wish I had the option to redirect my tax dollars.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Lifer

[Joker] "This country needs an enema" [Joker]
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
PAN

Quote:

What level of living do you advocate for the average person who toils to produce? Would it be fair to say that you would advocate poor living conditions and very few luxuries for the working class? Would you consider ten or so dollars a day to be fair compensation? And what exactly does that whole "outsourcing is the markets way" line mean? Accept less money for what you do? How the hell can you make it in todays world by accepting less without going on the governmental dole, which is exactly what has helped to create the morass in which we are adrift? Must be nice to still be young and clueless.

You're young still. Hopefully you'll wake up and actually use that noggin...
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Nice cop out, cant answer the question cause i made a good point. Thats liberal tactics right there! Cant argue a point and go right to insults! Well since im guessing youre an accountant, i bet youre one those people that thinks shipping jobs overseas is a great idea cause according to the numbers it makes great sense!!

I find that pretty hillarious coming from the guy who advocates charging/punishing more based on how much someone makes.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
What level of living do you advocate for the average person who toils to produce? Would it be fair to say that you would advocate poor living conditions and very few luxuries for the working class? Would you consider ten or so dollars a day to be fair compensation? And what exactly does that whole "outsourcing is the markets way" line mean? Accept less money for what you do? How the hell can you make it in todays world by accepting less without going on the governmental dole, which is exactly what has helped to create the morass in which we are adrift? Must be nice to still be young and clueless.

I was being fatuous in the face of his absurd comments, but maybe one day I'd love to go farm out some jobs in India now just for shits and giggles.

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I find that pretty hillarious coming from the guy who advocates charging/punishing more based on how much someone makes.
I figured someone would say something about that. Its not punishment for being wealthy, they would only get fined for breaking the law. Ya know, like everyone else.

$500 bucks to a regular guy is good chunk of change but to a wealthy person it isnt shit. The point of the fine isnt the actual amount, its to effect people in a negative way so that they will be less inclined to do it again. I know everytime i get a ticket i get pissed off because the amount i have to pay hurts my wallet big time. I guess the catering to rich people will continue, no wonder celebs think they are gods.

post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post

All americans are supposed to be CEOs!! Dont you know! Everyone else is a buncha dumbass no skill having worthless overpaid americans! Fuck those guys, lets fire their asses and then wonder what happened to the country.......

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Slammy, you jealous? More power to someone that can convince a company to pay them that much money...deserved or not. You shouldnt blame them for a company's decisions...even if it is at the expense of the common man. There will always be people that will work for pennies and there will always be people that make more and supervise these workers. Well, unless Hussein has his way with this country. But fuck that. I am not rich, but I probably make more a month than most on here make in a year...and $500 fines still hurt to pay. Everyone speeds and will eventually get caught...pay the assessed fine and move on. Thats life.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Slammy, you jealous? More power to someone that can convince a company to pay them that much money...deserved or not. You shouldnt blame them for a company's decisions...even if it is at the expense of the common man. There will always be people that will work for pennies and there will always be people that make more and supervise these workers. Well, unless Hussein has his way with this country. But fuck that. I am not rich, but I probably make more a month than most on here make in a year...and $500 fines still hurt to pay. Everyone speeds and will eventually get caught...pay the assessed fine and move on. Thats life.
naw, i just think somethings have to be changed quite a bit before we dont have a country anymore. Seeing america be sold to the highest bidder and having to hear about how china is "reccession proof" and seeing how excited everyone is over china becoming the worlds super power worries me. Not to mention the national debt and alot of people think things will magically get better if we can get obama out of office, give me a break.

People were saying americas innovation would be what keeps it going but i just watched another story on how america is falling behind bigtime even in that area. My comments about the rich seem so hostile because they seem to not care aslong as they get their money, they dont seem to care that americans are out of work. We are supposed to be happy they are here to provide jobs but they arent, they have been throwing americans on there asses to join the gold rush that is china. Make their money overseas but live in america cause the personal rights and freedoms...nice. Too bad that cant/wont apply to every american. I usually keep my mouth shut cause money rules the day, i just figure once things go to complete shit then people will finally say "Oh you mean we have to actually be making money to keep this country going?!!"

post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
naw, i just think somethings have to be changed quite a bit before we dont have a country anymore. Seeing america be sold to the highest bidder and having to hear about how china is "reccession proof" and seeing how excited everyone is over china becoming the worlds super power worries me. "
China's not recession proof. In fact they have overbuilt their infrastructure in places so much they have brand new cities with 0 population... literally.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
China's not recession proof. In fact they have overbuilt their infrastructure in places so much they have brand new cities with 0 population... literally.

Don't let Obama see that shit! He'll start dropping towns everywhere.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Thats intresting, but as the man said, its very expensive to live there. You could say alot of chinese are modern slaves and cant afford expensive things on the scale that americans can/could due to their communist ways. If they were truely free, could go on strikes and demand higher wages then maybe american businesses could compete. Maybe they do but im under the impression they cant do any of that.

Course id rather we just leave the little commie bastards to themselves and take care of our own...but thats just me. Technology is reducing the amount of workers needed and yet populations continue to grow and grow, america needs every single job it can get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement