Are you a Conservative? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Are you a Conservative?

This came up in another thread and I was wondering what makes a person conservative? I am conservative in all areas and I also consider myself traditional. I have seen some call themselves conservative and have some pretty liberal ideas.

I am for:

less government
less taxes
a strong military
the Patriot Act (as long as it is only applied to terrorist activity)

I am against:

abortion
gay marriage
drug legalization

I am wondering about those who consider themselves conservative but have serious liberal tendencies like pro-abortion, pro gay marriage, pro-drug legalization, etc.

At what point does a person become something other than conservative? I can see a person who is conservative not suporting one or two traditional conservative values, but whole categories like all social issues?

Tell me what you think and where you stand, especially if you call yourself conservative but don't support traditional conservative values.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I believe the government needs to operate under a strategy of subsidiarity and spending needs to be minimal and support only what the states cannot do for themselves. The rights of the states need to be restored.

Socially I'll spot a quote to explain my views: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law until you violate the rights of another; respect the space of your sister and your brother." That's got a nice Jeffersonian ring to it, doesn't it?

Actually, Jeffersonian is about as close as I'm going to get to throwing a label on myself.

post #3 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Lifer

Why are we constrained to the definitions of the two given to us by the very fucktards that are fucking up this country? I believe in everything conservative except for abortion...I am also relatively against any form of invasion of privacy like the PA, but I can see where it has its uses...but, as a LEO you know full well that these things can and will be abused. I am not concerned since I am not a criminal, but I still do not want people monitoring my life and labeling me as they see fit.

post #4 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Why are we constrained to the definitions of the two given to us by the very fucktards that are fucking up this country?
This. Political labels are the reason that the best we can come up with is two or three electable candidates for any given election, and I think that's crime.

post #5 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I consider myself a liberal conservative

I am for:
Less government involvment
Limited taxes
Tax breaks and incentives for businesses, doing business IN America.
Global respect through strength and confidence, not sanctions and appologies

Against:
Insert any current administration policy here
post #6 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Lifer

I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

Do I like gay marriage, abortions, and drugs? No....

Do I beleive the government should have a say in what people do in their lives? No.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #7 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Lifer

You tell me what label I fit under:

I am for:

less government
less taxes
a strong military
the Patriot Act (as long as it is only applied to terrorist activity) <<
Other Issues:

Abortion - In my own life I think it is wrong all the time, for everyone. I do not think that is the basis for good laws for our entire country though. I would say that the governments needs to define when life begins. Before that point it is legal, after that point it is murder. Again, I am totally against this personally at any stage, but as for law there has to be a basis for the decision beyond religious morals, IMO.

Gay Marriage - Same issue here. I believe it is wrong. Let's be honest, it doesn't take a marriage certificate to have a lasting marriage, and having one doesn't guarantee one either. I think marriage is, in the eyes of the law, more or less like forming a corporation (tax benefits ect.). Just like with a corporation I think they need to set up laws to define what they view as a legal marriage and go from there. It is up to them who they give the benefits to, and IMO, that is the only reason they should get to decide who gets married and who doesn't.

(Skip this if you don't want to read about my religious convictions regarding the above)
I am a Christian and I have done a 180 on these two issues recently. I believe that both Abortion and Gay Marriage are wrong all the time, for all people. I have also realized that I believe God put me on this earth to show his love. I believe he loves Homoseuals and people who have had abortions just as much as he loves me. I believe that even though I think I am a great person I am just as much of a sinner in his eyes as they are, and although I have heard this a million times, I just recently got it.

God loves me because of who he is, not because of who I am.

I am no better than any believer or non-believer, no matter their past or future. After realizing this how can I look down on anyone else for their mistakes or faults, no matter how big or small.
(Speech over)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #8 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
I consider myself a liberal conservative

I am for:
Less government involvment
Limited taxes
Tax breaks and incentives for businesses, doing business IN America.
Global respect through strength and confidence, not sanctions and appologies

Against:
Insert any current administration policy here
where is the liberal portion of your beliefs?
post #9 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Lifer

that's what I was wondering. LOL

Looks pretty fiscally conservative to me

post #10 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Why are we constrained to the definitions of the two given to us by the very fucktards that are fucking up this country?
Because that's the carrot they have us chase that leads off a cliff. They want everyone divided. When I look at our government, I look at it like a Don King fight. Both sides are financed by the same promoter, and no matter who wins the fight the same person always benefits, and it ain't you or me.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #11 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

More or less, I'm I would label myself as a conservative. Abortion needs to be regulated and available only to those who have been raped or children in incestuous relationships. I am for the legalization of marijuana and.... maybe cocaine. On all other issues, I'm strictly conservative.

post #12 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
This came up in another thread and I was wondering what makes a person conservative? I am conservative in all areas and I also consider myself traditional. I have seen some call themselves conservative and have some pretty liberal ideas.

I am for:

less government
less taxes
a strong military

I am against:

abortion
gay marriage
drug legalization

I am wondering about those who consider themselves conservative but have serious liberal tendencies like pro-abortion, pro gay marriage, pro-drug legalization, etc.

At what point does a person become something other than conservative? I can see a person who is conservative not suporting one or two traditional conservative values, but whole categories like all social issues?

Tell me what you think and where you stand, especially if you call yourself conservative but don't support traditional conservative values.
i'm definitely fiscally conservative, and i'm for less government, less taxes, strong military, etc...but here are my thoughts on the others:

abortion - i'm not "for" abortion, but i also have a hard time being completely against it because i hate to know that there are a bunch of unwanted kids out there that will live terrible lives because somebody made a mistake and didn't/doesn't want them. if there were an abundance of loving families that were willing to adopt those kids, then it would be a lot easier for me to be completely against it, but there aren't. most of them end up in crappy foster homes, orphanages, etc and don't get any attention, love, etc. maybe if every person that were against abortion decided to adopt a kid, then there wouldn't be so much of an issue.

gay marriage - i'm not "for" gay marriage, but i'm also not "against" it. i really don't care if gays are allowed to marry or not, and i really don't see how that would affect me in any way. hell, they'll end up paying more taxes being married than being single, so that should be better for everyone!

drug legalization - again, i'm not necessarily "for" it, but it wouldn't bother me if pot were legal. i wouldn't do any drugs if they were legal, anyway, so it doesn't make a difference to me. i have actually thought about it from a complete asshole perspective and thought; well, if they legalize all drugs and give the hard drugs away for free to anyone that wanted them (over 18), then maybe that would solve a lot of problems. there would be a huge drop in crime because people don't have to steal or rob to get money to buy drugs, and eventually the people that do them would drop off, as they obviously kill you...seems like the problem pretty much fixes itself over time. they could still sell pot and tax it, which would be a huge increase in tax revenue...especially if you consider the amount of tax dollars that would be saved from law enforcement and prison housing alone. obviously that's not going to happen, though.
post #13 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
More or less, I'm I would label myself as a conservative. Abortion needs to be regulated and available only to those who have been raped or children in incestuous relationships. I am for the legalization of marijuana and.... maybe cocaine. On all other issues, I'm strictly conservative.
Maybe cocaine? Why would anyone want that legal? Have you ever seen a crack-head? I don't want to have to wait in line for my slurppe at 7-11 when some crack-head is in front of me trying to trade his watch, and Raman noodles for a government bag of blow.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.

Last edited by MR TINFOIL HAT; 11-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.
post #14 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
where is the liberal portion of your beliefs?
Liberal conservative may have been piss poor.

Although I do not believe in abortion, I dont care about it enough to base an entire campaign on it.
I think there are drugs that are scheduled and should not be.
I dont care if two cocksuckers want to get married.
post #15 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Lifer

I have always viewed the idea of a strong standing military as part of the liberal or left agenda going back to the founding of our nation. its a socialized institution, that relies on tax dollars, and in some cases printing of money. going back to the founding of our nation, conservatives were against the idea of a large standing army, with the belief that we could raise an army if we needed one. through out our history it was the liberals who raised our taxes and built our military machine, conservatives were always against it.

post #16 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I am for:

less government
less taxes
a strong military

I am against:

abortion
gay marriage
drug legalization
The things I bolded means you're a Republican, not a "conservative."

If you were actually a conservative, you would only want fewer taxes and smaller government. True conservatives want less government intrusion and monitoring of their personal behavior.

You actually want more monitoring and control of personal behavior, which means you want to expand a political party / power agenda / control system. You are not a conservative, maybe you should stop calling yourself one.
post #17 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TINFOIL HAT View Post
Maybe cocaine? Why would anyone want that legal?
Because it's my choice, asshole.

post #18 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I have always viewed the idea of a strong standing military as part of the liberal or left agenda going back to the founding of our nation. its a socialized institution, that relies on tax dollars, and in some cases printing of money. going back to the founding of our nation, conservatives were against the idea of a large standing army, with the belief that we could raise an army if we needed one. through out our history it was the liberals who raised our taxes and built our military machine, conservatives were always against it.

That post just blew my fucking mind.

Our military is one of the ONLY things we should be paying Federal taxes to fund.

Quote:
going back to the founding of our nation, conservatives were against the idea of a large standing army
Our forefathers would be proud of our Armed Forces and the fact that they defend our right to pursue life, liberty and justice for all.

post #19 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Why are we constrained to the definitions of the two given to us by the very fucktards that are fucking up this country? I believe in everything conservative except for abortion...I am also relatively against any form of invasion of privacy like the PA, but I can see where it has its uses...but, as a LEO you know full well that these things can and will be abused. I am not concerned since I am not a criminal, but I still do not want people monitoring my life and labeling me as they see fit.
I deliberately used labels that are not always associated with the parties, Dems or Republicans. There are supposed conservative/moderate Dems and liberal/moderate Republicans.

The main reason I started the thread was about people claiming to be conservatives doing and saying things that are contrary to my understanding of conservative ideals. I am gleaning that the younger you are the more "liberal" you are with calling yourself conservative.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #20 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
This. Political labels are the reason that the best we can come up with is two or three electable candidates for any given election, and I think that's crime.
This brings up the question, why bow out of a vote when there are only a few viable candidates? Isn't it possible to therefore help the candidate that espouses very little of what you believe in to be elected? How can that be a good thing?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #21 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
You tell me what label I fit under:

I am for:

less government
less taxes
a strong military
the Patriot Act (as long as it is only applied to terrorist activity) <<
Other Issues:

Abortion - In my own life I think it is wrong all the time, for everyone. I do not think that is the basis for good laws for our entire country though. I would say that the governments needs to define when life begins. Before that point it is legal, after that point it is murder. Again, I am totally against this personally at any stage, but as for law there has to be a basis for the decision beyond religious morals, IMO.

Gay Marriage - Same issue here. I believe it is wrong. Let's be honest, it doesn't take a marriage certificate to have a lasting marriage, and having one doesn't guarantee one either. I think marriage is, in the eyes of the law, more or less like forming a corporation (tax benefits ect.). Just like with a corporation I think they need to set up laws to define what they view as a legal marriage and go from there. It is up to them who they give the benefits to, and IMO, that is the only reason they should get to decide who gets married and who doesn't.

(Skip this if you don't want to read about my religious convictions regarding the above)
I am a Christian and I have done a 180 on these two issues recently. I believe that both Abortion and Gay Marriage are wrong all the time, for all people. I have also realized that I believe God put me on this earth to show his love. I believe he loves Homoseuals and people who have had abortions just as much as he loves me. I believe that even though I think I am a great person I am just as much of a sinner in his eyes as they are, and although I have heard this a million times, I just recently got it.

God loves me because of who he is, not because of who I am.

I am no better than any believer or non-believer, no matter their past or future. After realizing this how can I look down on anyone else for their mistakes or faults, no matter how big or small.
(Speech over)
You are pretty damn conservative to me, but I wanted to know what each person thought. My views are pretty clear to most.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #22 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Lifer

I am all for a strong military and the taxes associated. I also wish that our govt would stop pussy-footing around and either either shit or get off the toilet called the middle and far east...either assert our dominance by doing whats necessary or leave. We suck at nation-building and insurgencies...its liberal pussies like 5.0svo that cry foul and spineless congressmen that keep us from doing our jobs in times like these...I think that if you have not served our country in the military then you cannot serve our country in congress or the POTUS.
post #23 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
//says in stuttering voice// Must resist attacking or making fun of this type of post......//says in stuttering voice//

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #24 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I deliberately used labels that are not always associated with the parties, Dems or Republicans. There are supposed conservative/moderate Dems and liberal/moderate Republicans.

The main reason I started the thread was about people claiming to be conservatives doing and saying things that are contrary to my understanding of conservative ideals. I am gleaning that the younger you are the more "liberal" you are with calling yourself conservative.
I guess that is why Churchill said this...
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.
post #25 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
//says in stuttering voice// Must resist attacking or making fun of this type of post......//says in stuttering voice//
Ignorance is fun to attack...I am guilty of it from time to time....but instead of attack, consider educating. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on politics.
post #26 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
The things I bolded means you're a Republican, not a "conservative."

If you were actually a conservative, you would only want fewer taxes and smaller government. True conservatives want less government intrusion and monitoring of their personal behavior.

You actually want more monitoring and control of personal behavior, which means you want to expand a political party / power agenda / control system. You are not a conservative, maybe you should stop calling yourself one.
Please find where I said the federal government should get involved in those things? I am talking about my personal opinion on those topics. Please don't go off the deep end and assume things not in play.

I do find it funny that you seem to be okay with the government allowing abortions, allowing gay marriage, and allowing drug legalization (I am assuming you are) but think I want more government. I would think a truly conservative person would want the government to stay out of allowing gay marriage (my stance) since it is a religious institution. I would actually be okay with stopping government sanctioning of all marriages by not giving out marriage licenses and having marriage bbeing a religious ceremony. That would eliminate my main concern about gay marriage, that once the government sanctions gay marriage they will then demand that gay marriage be taught in schools as normal and they will demand that gay marriage be given the same resources, respect, and status of hetero marriage.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #27 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Ignorance is fun to attack...I am guilty of it from time to time....but instead of attack, consider educating. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on politics.
I was trying to poke a little fun and at the same time show I am not trying to attack anyone. I despise those who start threads and then attack those who give responses to the thread starter.

I have an obvious and easy attack response for him but do not want to post it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #28 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I guess that is why Churchill said this...
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.
That describes me pretty well actually. I did not hide from my liberal views when I was twenty though.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #29 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Lifer

Ok I want to play.

Where would you label makers put me?

Very Limited Federal government. As it once was!
Sales tax only! And put a permanent cap on how much they can charge. This also means no yearly tax of any kind!
Term limits for congress men/women
Get rid of every law that infringes on the constitution! (Mind boggling ain't it)
Limited military, but a very large reserve. (as in just exactly as the constitution allows.)

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #30 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
Ok I want to play.

Sales tax only! And put a permanent cap on how much they can charge. This also means no yearly tax of any kind!
Get rid of every law that infringes on the constitution! (Mind boggling ain't it)
Limited military, but a very large reserve. (as in just exactly as the constitution allows.)
I'd call you a Patriot.

post #31 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
That describes me pretty well actually. I did not hide from my liberal views when I was twenty though.
The sad part of this true quote is that when you are young, impressionable and naive liberalism seems to be the right way...but when you grow older, more wiser and knowledgeable of the real world you become more cynical and conservative....and smarter for it.
post #32 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok I want to play.

Neopaulian?
post #33 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
I am all for a strong military and the taxes associated. I also wish that our govt would stop pussy-footing around and either either shit or get off the toilet called the middle and far east...either assert our dominance by doing whats necessary or leave. We suck at nation-building and insurgencies...its liberal pussies like 5.0svo that cry foul and spineless congressmen that keep us from doing our jobs in times like these...I think that if you have not served our country in the military then you cannot serve our country in congress or the POTUS.
X2
I have always wondered how someone who has not served their country could possibly understand what they are asking of the soldier when they deploy them. I understand it is the soldiers job, but if you haven't been one they you can't understand the impact of your decision.
post #34 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Never settle always excel

I can side with either party because the Democrats want to give away my money to non citizens and the Republicans are selling my country to anyone who is willing to pay. I am tired of talking to India when I need help with my phone or computer, I am tired of people having kids and getting assistance like free food and stuff. If you can't afford a kid don't have one. I own a gun and will always, okay my rant is over!
post #35 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Please find where I said the federal government should get involved in those things? I am talking about my personal opinion on those topics. Please don't go off the deep end and assume things not in play.
Oh, okay, all your posts about gay marriage, abortion and drug legalization were to show your personal beliefs on the subject, not to advocate government-based restrictions on them. Riiiiiight.
Quote:
I do find it funny that you seem to be okay with the government allowing abortions, allowing gay marriage, and allowing drug legalization (I am assuming you are) but think I want more government.
Huh? You want government to stop those things. That by definition means you want "more government." I think the government has no say whatsoever in those things to begin with, meaning I want "less government." See the difference?

Those three agenda items are Republican agenda items. They are part of a bait-and-switch tactic to keep you from paying attention to the real crises we are facing. Frankly I don't give a shit about any of them, and I won't until we handle the real problems with our broken country. What political parties are seriously talking about term limits? About restricting lobbyists? About implementing a balanced budget amendment? About returning power to state and local governments and returning to a Constitution-based limited federal governement? When the Republicans start talking about THOSE things, I'll listen. Until then, I'll just shake my head while they rattle on endlessly about garbage that doesn't matter.

I'm sure they'll win seats next time 'round, but it will be the same old shit as always. A bunch of talk about "gay marriage, abortions, and drugs" while lining their pockets with our tax dollars, allowing financial systems to become our government, and fewer personal freedoms for citizens. If that's what "conservative" means to you, you can keep it.
post #36 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Lifer

By being against gay marriage doesnt necessarily mean you want more govt...I am against but dont think that it is the govts duty to prevent it. I really couldnt care less if two guys want to get married but I feel that it is morally wrong...and if there is such a place as hell, they are surely headed there.
post #37 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Ok I want to play.

I was wondering where you stood and what you called yourself, not where you stood and what I called you. I could give you a lable or title, but me having an opinion is not an issue.

I am noticing alot of people are ignoring the social issues, which seems to be the younger crowds separation point from a traditional conservative (me) and the modern day self procalimed conservative. This is what I was trying to determine.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #38 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Lifer

What do I care if two homos want to slobber on each other? We have bigger fish to fry.

Let me put it this way. If they asked me to vote today to allow gay marriage AND restrict congressman to no more than four terms in a lifetime, I would vote for it without hesitation.
post #39 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I am noticing alot of people are ignoring the social issues, which seems to be the younger crowds separation point from a traditional conservative (me) and the modern day self procalimed conservative.
Social issues matter AFTER the policy issues are in order. It's like tying your shoes before you put them on.
post #40 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Lifer

you have to remember that when our nation was founded we had just held off the most powerful military in the world, with out a standing army. there was a fear that those liberal power hungry politicians wanted and could have used a standing military to oppress the will of the people.
thus many conservatives were afraid of the notion of a large standing army all the way up until after WWII.

post #41 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Lifer

My current political views would be more in line with a Blue Dog Democrat or a Socially Liberal Republican.

This past Presidential election was the first time I voted for a Republican candidate. And I am an active voter. I will be doing the same in the 2010 & 2012. Or at least until there comes a time when a good centrist Democrat is back on the ballot. However, I'm center-right until the Obama-Reid-Pelosi ilk are no longer pulling the strings in Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #42 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Liberal conservative may have been piss poor.

Although I do not believe in abortion, I dont care about it enough to base an entire campaign on it.
I think there are drugs that are scheduled and should not be.
I dont care if two cocksuckers want to get married.
this would make you a fiscal/foreign policy conservative, socially moderate. Overall you're weighted heavily conservative.
post #43 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
My current political views would be more in line with a Blue Dog Democrat or a Socially Liberal Republican.

This past Presidential election was the first time I voted for a Republican candidate. And I am an active voter. I will be doing the same in the 2010 & 2012. Or at least until there comes a time when a good centrist Democrat is back on the ballot. However, I'm center-right until the Obama-Reid-Pelosi ilk are no longer pulling the strings in Washington.
I have bad news for you man, You're now a republican. You will never see another democrat candidate that isn't liberal - I guarantee that.
post #44 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
What do I care if two homos want to slobber on each other? We have bigger fish to fry.

Let me put it this way. If they asked me to vote today to allow gay marriage AND restrict congressman to no more than four terms in a lifetime, I would vote for it without hesitation.
I don't care who people have sex with. Why would you think I do? Gay marriage is not about sex, just like abortion is not about a womans choice. It seems you have fallen into the trap the liberals have set.

This thread is about the definition of conservatism. Abortion and gsay marriage is only a small part of it and i wonder why it causes so much grief by those who support them.

Why does the government make injuring small children and the elderly a higher level of offense than others? It is becuase society has deemed that as something that should be done. It is not the most important thing in society, but we took the time to do it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #45 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Social issues matter AFTER the policy issues are in order. It's like tying your shoes before you put them on.
I never said any different, did I?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #46 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
PAN

Call me Brad in my stance...
post #47 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:18 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Paladin... who funds your retirement?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #48 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra View Post
Paladin... who funds your retirement?
Both the city and I do. I also live in FW so I contribute as a taxpayer.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #49 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Call me Brad in my stance...
Is that an Indian name?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #50 of 255 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Both the city and I do. I also live in FW so I contribute as a taxpayer.
almost a 2 to 1 match, no? You on the low side?

Anyone else in this thread (whose employer isn't the tax payer) get that type of match?

So for every 50K in salary you put up roughly 4800 and the tax payer puts up 9600? About there somewhere?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement