AMA askes that marijauna be delisted...

..reversing their previous stance.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...tory?track=rss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
If they do it, hopefully they will tax the shit out of it to make some good revenue. Might actually save California with it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Well, all that delisting it would do is allow clinical medical tests. But, that may be what gets the ball rolling towards eventual legalization.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
If they do it, hopefully they will tax the shit out of it to make some good revenue. Might actually save California with it.
If pot were legalized, the state and federal government would see more money even before taxes. Cutting back on prisons for simple pot possession would be a huge help. They would also save money on drug interdiction. Pot grows extremely well in the US and is easy to hide but other drugs like Cocaine and Heroin do not grow as well and are more difficult to hide. It would be easy to either cut back on interdiction efforts or refocus those resources on other drugs. Lord forbid they actually use that money to protect our countries borders.

Of course, if they made all drugs legal, we could empty all the prisons of non violent drug offenders and save billions.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Hustlin'

Worth noting:

"This year, the Obama administration sped up that drift when it ordered federal narcotics agents not to arrest medical marijuana users and providers who follow state laws. Polls show broadening support for marijuana legalization."

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Bullet Sponge

Anything to help shore up his diminishing numbers.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
If pot were legalized, the state and federal government would see more money even before taxes. Cutting back on prisons for simple pot possession would be a huge help. They would also save money on drug interdiction. Pot grows extremely well in the US and is easy to hide but other drugs like Cocaine and Heroin do not grow as well and are more difficult to hide. It would be easy to either cut back on interdiction efforts or refocus those resources on other drugs. Lord forbid they actually use that money to protect our countries borders.

Of course, if they made all drugs legal, we could empty all the prisons of non violent drug offenders and save billions.
Prisons are big business, and they don't want them empty. You're correct though it could do some good, and possibly save cali.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Those guys don't know anything. Clearly. Haven't they ever seen a DARE video?!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:

Seems like there is alot of positives there to consider doing it. I wonder how it would effect our relationship with mexico and all the trafficing.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TINFOIL HAT View Post
Prisons are big business, and they don't want them empty. You're correct though it could do some good, and possibly save cali.
There is still alot of other drugs that would help keep prisons full I'm sure. Besides, which is bigger buisness, pot or prisons? I would think pot.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Lifer

They should just legalize everything. Just like alcohol make stipulations around the substances, such as driving while intoxicated, etc. What do I care if some dumbass wants to hurt themselves. People do it every day with alcohol, and it doesnt stop them from hurting others.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Seems like there is alot of positives there to consider doing it. I wonder how it would effect our relationship with mexico and all the trafficing.
Without having any statistics in front of me, I'd venture to opine that it wouldn't affect the trafficking much, as the harder drugs are more lucrative.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:

not to mention all the money saved on paper products and clothing.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

In a related story, Frito Lay and Hostess have issued a press release saying they wholeheartedly support legalization of marijuana.

DFWMustangs.net
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

I don't partake very often, but I do think they should just get it over with and make it legal already. I'm sick of hearing stoners bitch.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
In a related story, Frito Lay and Hostess have issued a press release saying they wholeheartedly support legalization of marijuana.
If this shit goes through I'm buying stock in Frito Lay, Little Debbie, Jack in the Box, Visine, and Blue Bell.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
I know you're being facetious, but you will see more and more companies supporting marijuana, because of the wide ranging uses for hemp.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
There is still alot of other drugs that would help keep prisons full I'm sure. Besides, which is bigger buisness, pot or prisons? I would think pot.

I have to disagree. Prisons are a HUGE business in America. However, the two are greatly connected. The LAST thing companies like Wackenhut, and others who own and operate privatized prisons want to see; is legalization of pot. That would immediately free up somewhere around 30-40% of their prison population. And obviously, private prisons don't make money when they empty out like that. They get paid a fee, per prisoner, to house and feed them.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I have to disagree. Prisons are a HUGE business in America. However, the two are greatly connected. The LAST thing companies like Wackenhut, and others who own and operate privatized prisons want to see; is legalization of pot. That would immediately free up somewhere around 30-40% of their prison population. And obviously, private prisons don't make money when they empty out like that. They get paid a fee, per prisoner, to house and feed them.
Are you suggesting that special interests are playing a bigger role than common sense and the rights of our citizens in the way our government drafts laws?! No way. No fucking way.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I know you're being facetious, but you will see more and more companies supporting marijuana, because of the wide ranging uses for hemp.
Hemp is a ludicrously useful plant and it's a shame that the DEA and the rest of our government refuse to acknowledge that. Every year the DEA throws away hundreds of thousands of pounds of wild hemp to boost the figures that they display to the public on how much marijuana they've seized.

The American agriculture industry needs a boost right now. Many sectors of the agriculture industry here only survive because of healthy government subsidies. The mass industrialization of the growing of hemp would provide a huge boost to our economy and might even give the American textile industry. Why the cultivation of hemp is still frowned upon is so far past me that I can't even begin to explain how confused it makes me.

To be honest, legalization isn't huge on my priorities list. I'm mostly fine with the way things are; I've got access to it and I don't have to listen to a bunch of white haired fuckers tell me about the degradation of our society because of all of the dopers out on the streets smoking that dangerous reefer. I think it's wrong, but there's just something about participating in an underground economy that fucks our government out of millions in tax revenues every year that gets me all kinds of giddy inside.

I'd really much rather see it decriminalized. It's still illegal and I still wouldn't have to give any money in the form of taxes to our ass backwards government, except the punishment more closely fits the victimless crime: a fine or a ticket, a couple of hours in a drug class and you're on your way. There's no reason for the penalties that are currently in place to be there for a substance that is less dangerous than alcohol.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Exactly, and you hit the nail on the head with wackenhut.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement