Affirmative Action. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Affirmative Action.

Should it die? Should it's focus change?


Please keep the racist garbage in your head.
tex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Lifer
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pouring Drinks
Posts: 1,543
Affirmative Action is bullshit.
BradM is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM
T5-T56-Tremec specialist
 
thesource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Heading back to Plentywood
Posts: 8,389
agreed
thesource is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
The problem with it is that if we are to move forward as a society WITHOUT the racial bias that has plagued us, then we must stop using affirmative action (among other programs) and TRULY consider all races as equal. As it stands, the continued use of affirmative action is portraying "minorities" as inferior, which is absolutely NOT the case.

All people should obtain admittance to a college or obtain employment based upon grades, merit, character, etc, not the color of one's skin.


Last edited by HOOCBB; 10-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.
HOOCBB is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
The Janitor
 
32VfromHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sacred Heart Hospital
Posts: 16,424
I think it perpitrates the idea that some races are "weaker" than others and need the white man to help them get a job or get into college.

I think with public schools they should not have ANY indication of an applicants race so the decision to accept or not is entirely color blind. I know that some inner city school districts have terrible budgets and low performing schools but i think affirmative action isnt the way to address that. Perhaps a handicap rating of the school itself would work, done independently by a 3rd party that addresses weight to it in terms of courseload by the student.


I think diversity in the workplace and in school is so very critical, but having it be done by volunteer action as opposed to mandatory selection SHOULD be offensive to minorities that they cant hack the normal selection process.
32VfromHell is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
T-MINUS
 
Sean88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,540
Never should have happened. It says to the minorities that they aren't as good and need a hand up. Legislated white guilt.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams


Sean88gt is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Bullet Sponge
 
forever_frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cooper, Tx
Posts: 3,142
Affirmative action is racist in itself. It should be completely removed.
forever_frost is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Should it die? Should it's focus change?


Please keep the racist garbage in your head.
I guess it only matters if you want the best doctor to do your (or a loved ones) heart by-pass surgery.

All it does is bring mediocrity to a higher level.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Lifer
 
samuel642000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post

All it does is bring mediocrity to a higher level.
x2

Needs to be removed, no one should be able to play the race/minority card just to get ahead of others that are truly, more gifted.
samuel642000 is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
All people should obtain admittance to a college or obtain employment based upon grades, merit, character, etc, not the color of one's skin.
Might as well just save a lot of ink and space on all applications of any type and just put.

White: [] Yes [] No
Avery'sDad is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Affirmative action is racist in itself. It should be completely removed.
This is correct. There is nothing MORE RACIST than affirmative action.
It spells out what you should do if you want to be more racist. It's pro RACISM to it's very core.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
My youngest son has to go to a fucking shithole school, that is 5 miles away, instead of a much better school, three blocks away, BECAUSE HE IS WHITE. This is due to affirmative action, the school system straight up told us it is because he is white.

Now, if he was 'non-white' we would have the choice to enroll him in ANY school in the district, but since he isn't, he is forced to go to that shitty, slum school, to help 'white' up the place, since it is populated overwhelmingly with 'non-whites'.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Token Troll
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sherman
Posts: 4,101
Where's the poll?!?!

And yes, Affirmative Action is "reverse" racism.

I once spoke with a liberal woman about it. She was all for it and I finally just asked her, "Would you want a prize awarded to you just because you're a woman? Or because you actually were the best?" That shut her up.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy
 
stinginstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
My youngest son has to go to a fucking shithole school, that is 5 miles away, instead of a much better school, three blocks away, BECAUSE HE IS WHITE. This is due to affirmative action, the school system straight up told us it is because he is white.

Now, if he was 'non-white' we would have the choice to enroll him in ANY school in the district, but since he isn't, he is forced to go to that shitty, slum school, to help 'white' up the place, since it is populated overwhelmingly with 'non-whites'.

Stevo
you need to move.
stinginstang is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
you need to move.
where?
this shit is everywhere. I think if i recall correctly my brother also lost a scholarship to college due to this. He was a pretty amazing wrestler, and went to state. With amazing grades as well. Some other guy got it cause he wasn't white.
It was a long time ago but that is what he was told.
My family still sent him to A&M , but the point is he worked his ass off for it and deserved it. I don't know any one more dedicated than my brother was in high school , so I highly doubt the other guy was as 'qualified'
We're talking 99's and 100's in all honors classes.
this shit happens, everywhere. I don't think any one had hard feelings about it, it's just a FACT.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Might as well just save a lot of ink and space on all applications of any type and just put.

White: [] Yes [] No
My point was to eliminate the race question altogether and base the decision of offering an interview based SOLELY off of merits, etc.

I see your point, but do not necessarily agree with it. There are quite a few brilliant and hard working minorities out there that are often better qualified than "whitey". Just don't automatically make them more qualified based on the color of their skin.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:51 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy
 
stinginstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
where?
this shit is everywhere. I think if i recall correctly my brother also lost a scholarship to college due to this. He was a pretty amazing wrestler, and went to state. With amazing grades as well. Some other guy got it cause he wasn't white.
It was a long time ago but that is what he was told.
My family still sent him to A&M , but the point is he worked his ass off for it and deserved it. I don't know any one more dedicated than my brother was in high school , so I highly doubt the other guy was as 'qualified'
We're talking 99's and 100's in all honors classes.
this shit happens, everywhere. I don't think any one had hard feelings about it, it's just a FACT.
oh I know people get screwed all the time. Before I bought my house I knew what schools they would be going to. If they changed I'd move somewhere else.

On the flip side, Everyone should just start claiming to be minorities. I now list myself as hispanic on all these forms. I can't say for sure there aren't blacks or hispanics in my family tree. Given my fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes - it's doubtful but it's not like you have to provide proof.
stinginstang is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
On the flip side, Everyone should just start claiming to be minorities. I now list myself as hispanic on all these forms. I can't say for sure there aren't blacks or hispanics in my family tree. Given my fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes - it's doubtful but it's not like you have to provide proof.
LMAO
thats just too funny.
It is sad, and true though. That they claim this makes things 'fair', yet here they are accepting something based at least a good portion on their race.
Yet the handouts will continue until the minorites are the majority.
I feel sorry for people who start out with less, but why should they have to work less hard to achieve what others have worked harder for. IT's SO ANTI AMERICAN, it s unreal.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Where's the poll?!?!

And yes, Affirmative Action is "reverse" racism.
"reverse" implies that only white people are capable of discrimination.
There's no reverse to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
My point was to eliminate the race question altogether and base the decision of offering an interview based SOLELY off of merits, etc.

I see your point, but do not necessarily agree with it. There are quite a few brilliant and hard working minorities out there that are often better qualified than "whitey". Just don't automatically make them more qualified based on the color of their skin.
That was sarcasm for agreeing with you the first time. The way it is now, the question might as well be "Are you white?".
Avery'sDad is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
That was sarcasm for agreeing with you the first time. The way it is now, the question might as well be "Are you white?".
Damnit...my sarcasm meter has been in serious need of adjustment lately...

HOOCBB is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Bullet Sponge
 
forever_frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cooper, Tx
Posts: 3,142
I've been putting "african American" on mine for quite a while now. When they ask me why I picked it I say teh 1 drop rule.
forever_frost is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy
 
stinginstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,644
Here is my problem with Affirmative Action: In this society Whitey is villified for anything even perceived to be racist - re Bob Griese.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...Montoya-remark

Even more ironic, it seems that it's elitist white people that decide what blacks and hispanics (and whatever other race) should find offensive.

Fuck ESPN. I'm boycotting THEM.
stinginstang is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 831
Affirmative action has to go but sadly it will only get worse before it gets better.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. "



1998 Suburban
1968 Mustang (sold, November 21, 2009)
2010 Fusion
1999 F-350DRW
thrshr68 is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 AM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
you need to move.
Yeah, where?
It is a federal law that the school is citing, and us moving to another city/school district is not a promise that the same damn thing will not happen there.

I will be doing something about it this next year, either pay out the ass to send my kid to another district, or homeschooling, but him continuing to attend that ghetto school isn't helping him any, and I'll be damned if next year he will continue to take the role of the class 'token white kid'.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
To have this conversation, you first must state what "affirmative action" is and what it is intended to do.

I'm all ears.
46Tbird is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Bullet Sponge
 
forever_frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cooper, Tx
Posts: 3,142
Affirmative Action is placing those "minorities" or "disadvantaged peoples" above the terrible whites. If all else is equal, the black is going to get the job before teh white.
forever_frost is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
To have this conversation, you first must state what "affirmative action" is and what it is intended to do.

I'm all ears.
Being quizzed sucks. Want peeps to copy/paste some stuff from google and call it their own?

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Im all for keeping it. Soon enough I'll be able to take advantage of it.
David is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Im all for keeping it. Soon enough I'll be able to take advantage of it.


Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
I read somewhere where the hispanic community is going to bypass the white community in numbers pretty soon. That means that the hispanic community will, of course, be in the majority. I wonder if white people will then at that point be able to take advantage of affirmative action?
mikeb is offline  
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I read somewhere where the hispanic community is going to bypass the white community in numbers pretty soon. That means that the hispanic community will, of course, be in the majority. I wonder if white people will then at that point be able to take advantage of affirmative action?
nope, but practice saying "mastah" in spanish.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Being quizzed sucks. Want peeps to copy/paste some stuff from google and call it their own?
Sure, why not?

From what I'm reading here, it was apparently a faceless nameless batch of legislation that never accomplished anything besides taking from whitey and giving to blackey.

So sure, actual legislation and maybe a few real-world case studies of "recipients of whitey's benevolence" would be great.

I think it did more good than harm. I don't see any po' white people that were cast into the streets because of it, but I have definitely seen other races' opportunities expand. I don't think that's a bad thing.

It might be time to have a conversation about phasing it out, if we think we've honestly achieved equal opportunity for everyone. Personally I think the fact a black man was elected president within 50 years of implementation has made it apparent that it worked and there are no more glass ceilings. But there's room for debate-
46Tbird is offline  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I read somewhere where the hispanic community is going to bypass the white community in numbers pretty soon. That means that the hispanic community will, of course, be in the majority. I wonder if white people will then at that point be able to take advantage of affirmative action?
No. There is a new word for it "majority-minority"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasnews
At the same time Mexico's census data shows fewer illegal crossings into the U.S., our own Census Bureau reports that Hispanic birth rates continue to grow faster than those of other groups. The result is one in 10 U.S. counties deemed "majority-minority," with most of its residents African-American and/or Latino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
...

Stevo
Avery'sDad is offline  
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Sure, why not?

From what I'm reading here, it was apparently a faceless nameless batch of legislation that never accomplished anything besides taking from whitey and giving to blackey.
I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, *I* would not know if I was screwed by it. Some jobs dried up and so forth, but no one has ever told me to f'off since they have to hire a black dude.

Hard to say for sure when it does/does not affect a person who is not a minority.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
It is ok to be racist in this country as long as you aren't white. That is a fact. Most white people think they deserve to be discrimated against.
AL P is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
PAN
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 20,154
I sure as hell don't want to be discrimated against. Fuck all that noise...





Fox466 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome