Gallup poll registers most support ever for marijuana re-legalization - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Gallup poll registers most support ever for marijuana re-legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML.org
PRINCETON, NJ — Gallup’s October Crime poll finds 44% of Americans in favor of making marijuana legal and 54% opposed. U.S. public support for legalizing marijuana was fixed in the 25% range from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, but acceptance jumped to 31% in 2000 and has continued to grow throughout this decade.

The highest level of support for decriminalizing the use of marijuana today is seen with self-described liberals, among whom 78% are in favor. In contrast, 72% of conservatives are opposed. Moderates are about evenly divided on whether the use of marijuana should be legal, although they tilt against it (51% vs. 46%).

Gallup also finds a generational rift on the issue, as 50% of those under 50 and 45% of those 50 to 64 say it should be legal, compared with 28% of seniors.

Public mores on legalization of marijuana have been changing this decade, and are now at their most tolerant in at least 40 years. If public support were to continue growing at a rate of 1% to 2% per year, as it has since 2000, the majority of Americans could favor legalization of the drug in as little as four years.

Americans are no more — and no less — in favor of legalizing marijuana when the issue is framed as a revenue-enhancement tool for state governments. Regardless of how the question is asked, 53% of Americans living in the West — encompassing California, where the issue could be on the ballot in 2010 — support legalization.
http://blog.norml.org/2009/10/19/gal...-legalization/

I've been trying to tell older people that marijuana is becoming increasingly normalized with the younger generations, but very few believe me. This pretty much solidifies that bit of information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

post #3 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Censored

No one would do anything until it would help them win an election. IE over 60% of the population in the area. That and they have to find a way to control it, and set limits.

Doors Done Rite

post #4 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
No one would do anything until it would help them win an election. IE over 60% of the population in the area. That and they have to find a way to control it, and set limits.
There's about to be a lot of political headway made against the war on drugs. The mean age of a US Senator today is 62, which means that well over half of the people running our government fall into the age bracket which is most heavily opposed to the re-legalization of marijuana. When that portion of the population starts dying off and is no longer capable of controlling our government things will happen.

I can't wait for those old fuckers to kick the can.

post #5 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Lifer

I have a few questions for the pot smokers: If alcohol and cigarettes are addictive, why is pot not addictive? Isn't part of the argument about legalizing pot that it is not addicitve?

How many pot smokers are not cigarette smokers? Part of my issue with pot is that I believe it leads to stronger drugs and I have yet to meet a pot smoker who didn;t smoke cigs, so why did you move from cigs to pot and isn;'t that a progression just like moving from pot to meth, or coke, or crack?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #6 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Lifer

You would post this. You crack me up always talking about pot. You usually have decent points, but you are always the guy defending it it seems like. Maybe one day you will get what you are fighting for man.

Edit: This was for Slowhand

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 10-20-2009 at 05:46 PM.
post #7 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
v2004 rebooted.

If they legalize it, I'll give it a shot. Hell, why not? Maybe I'll be in a better mood.
post #8 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I have a few questions for the pot smokers: If alcohol and cigarettes are addictive, why is pot not addictive? Isn't part of the argument about legalizing pot that it is not addicitve?

How many pot smokers are not cigarette smokers? Part of my issue with pot is that I believe it leads to stronger drugs and I have yet to meet a pot smoker who didn;t smoke cigs, so why did you move from cigs to pot and isn;'t that a progression just like moving from pot to meth, or coke, or crack?
If it were legal I would smoke pot but not cigarettes. Well, I would consume it somehow. I don't really like smoking anything, so I would probably just keep some brownies handy.

Personally I have seen it progress to harder drugs for one guy, but I have also seen it stop at pot. I think it had more to do with the people he got the weed from more than him wanting to do it himself. I think if he would have smoked it with me or his other close friends I don't think he would have tried the harder stuff that his "buddies" got him into.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #9 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

Scientifically speaking, pot is not at all physically addictive. There are ZERO withdrawal symptoms. As with anything that exists on this planet there can be an emotional addiction (very rare), but that's an entirely mental condition that has nothing to do with marijuana.

I don't smoke cigarettes, for one. I'd say that it's split down the middle on my pot-smoking friends on whether they smoke cigarettes or not.

Pot itself does not lead to stronger drugs; the gateway theory is bullshit. People who try pot are more likely to try other drugs because it's a matter of personality: some people are simply more willing to try different substances than other people because it's in their nature.

In fact, most of the people I smoke or have smoked with don't do anything harder than pot, period. And aside from the occasional experiment with psychedelics (which is a whole different discussion, but they really don't belong in the same category as any other substance on this planet), I don't do anything harder than pot either.

I understand that your perspective is molded very much by your job, but what you see on the streets of Ft. Worth simply isn't indicative of the modern day pot smoker. What you see is people that feel that they need to be high for any number of reasons. For some it's just rebellion, for others it's because they can't handle the reality of life. The only reason that people like that smoke pot is because it's easy for them to get their hands on.

There's a reason that your average common criminal smoke schwag and that middle class white kids smoke exotics: both groups have very VERY different objectives.

What are your feelings on the legality of alcohol? I can say without a shadow of a doubt in my mind that alcohol is several times more dangerous to both a person and to society than marijuana is.

When people get drunk, they get boisterous, they get aggressive and they just get generally out of control. Never before in my time smoking pot have I ever seen a stoner get aggresive or out of control. We just want to hang out, smoke some pot and leave you the fuck alone. If you don't bother us, we will NEVER bother you.

At the end of the day, it's still a matter of personal freedom. Anyone that claims to have a problem with the current path of our government should also have a problem with the war on drugs.

post #10 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
If it were legal I would smoke pot but not cigarettes. Well, I would consume it somehow. I don't really like smoking anything, so I would probably just keep some brownies handy.

Personally I have seen it progress to harder drugs for one guy, but I have also seen it stop at pot. I think it had more to do with the people he got the weed from more than him wanting to do it himself. I think if he would have smoked it with me or his other close friends I don't think he would have tried the harder stuff that his "buddies" got him into.
That's a big part of it. Because the government has forced marijuana onto the black markets it has gotten associated with harder drug use simply by association.

Pushers in low-income areas push drugs to make a profit. By the very nature of their business, it is in their best interest to push methamphetamine and heroin and crack onto their clients. Combine this with the fact that most people in low-income areas are just trying to get high for the sake of getting high and you've created a disastrous scenario for someone that isn't very intelligent.

Get the sales off the streets and into legitimate markets and you don't have that problem. Again, smoking pot doesn't make someone any more likely to try harder drugs but in low income areas where a dude that sells pot is likely slanging other shit you're going to wind up with a problem that looks like gateway theory because of simple economics.

post #11 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Lifer

This is the administration that will get it legalized. They need the tax revenue. It's really a no-brainer...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #12 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'll toss a few more facts out there for you guys to ponder:

847,864 Americans were arrested on marijuana related charges last year.

Of those charged with marijuana violations, approximately 89 percent, 754,224 Americans were charged with possession only.

The remaining 93,640 individuals were charged with "sale/manufacture," a category that includes all cultivation offenses, even those where the marijuana was being grown for personal or medical use.

What about the medical field? Over 60 American medical associations have given their official support for the use of medical marijuana. Some of the notables are:

AIDS Action Council

American Academy of Family Physicians (represents over 93,000 Family Physicians in this country)

American Medical Student Association (tomorrow's doctors)

American Nurses Association

American Society of Addiction Medicine

Federation of American Scientists

Florida Governor's Red Ribbon Panel on AIDS

Florida Medical Association

Lymphoma Foundation of America

Medical Society of the State of New York

National Association for Public Health Policy

Those supporting further research that is currently banned under US law:

American Cancer Society

American Medical Association

California Medical Association

Texas Medical Association

post #13 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I pretty much agree with Slowhand on this issue.

<--non-pot smoker BTW.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #14 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
This is the administration that will get it legalized. They need the tax revenue. It's really a no-brainer...
There's no way in hell. The President has firmly established that he doesn't believe that the legalization of marijuana is a viable tool to promote economic health and well being. He didn't offer one positive piece of hope related to the war on drugs until the US Attorney General told him what to say on Monday.

That and there's still too many thick headed codgers in Congress and the Senate that will NEVER allow such an atrocious, violent, wasteful, fear causing initiative to pass under their watch.

post #15 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Worship me

I am for legalization but I am sure it is habit forming in many cases. But no more so than cigarettes. Whether it leads to other things depends on the person. I've known a lot of older casual pot smokers with no other vice.

I am for legalizing because it instantly destroys the black market for it. It also makes law enforcement focus on the more important drugs that actually destroy people's lives, rather than some plant that anyone can grow.
post #16 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I say pot smoking should be legalized, but that's it. Hell, if it's legalized, you can bet your ass, I'll be stopping off at the convenience store on the way home and picking up a pack of joints lol

post #17 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Worship me

I would never smoke it and wouldn't try it even if it were legal. I don't smoke anything. I've been around people smoking it and my biggest concern has always been having the smell on my clothes rather than any second hand effects.
post #18 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:

Nothing. The potheads of the world are biased, they will never admit it. I have watched at least 10 of my friends seek the bigger high after smoking weed for years. If pot didn't exist, and they had never been high, it's pretty unlikely that they would ever just be like "Well, never done drugs before, but hell, time to snort some coke". lol Which is what most of them kinda move on to. Then speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Ingesting it wrecks your intestinal tract. Look it up if you don't think so. Smoking it is the best safest delivery system, and doing that eventually ruins your lungs. There's a reason they call it "dope".
post #19 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
T-MINUS

44% want it legalized instead of 53% because 9% of his base still like Obama and the other 44% want to forget about their vote.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #20 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Lifer

I'd also like to see it legalized. It is a better "mood alteration" than alcohol because you don't get sick, you feel mellow instead of wild, and you do not suffer withdrawl symptoms if you stop using it.

However, I have known a few people that smoke so much that they have literally altered their chemical composition and those people are worthless with and without it. But they also abuse other things, alcohol, prescription drugs, anything they can get their hands on.

Some people have problems setting limits for themselves and it can be less about recreational enjoyment of a substance to self abuse. I don't see that marijuana crosses some imaginary line of deviance that other perfectly legal substances don't.

Paladin, I'm with you on eradicating drug abuse, but to me it's more of a battle to win back an individual than it is against a drug. I've seen people ruin their lives with everything under the sun and legalizing pot won't change that a bit.

Haven't smoked in a helluva long time, but I could be tempted.
post #21 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Nothing. The potheads of the world are biased, they will never admit it. I have watched at least 10 of my friends seek the bigger high after smoking weed for years. If pot didn't exist, and they had never been high, it's pretty unlikely that they would ever just be like "Well, never done drugs before, but hell, time to snort some coke". lol Which is what most of them kinda move on to. Then speed.
Really? Pot, then coke, then speed. That's a pattern? Where does Heroin fit into your tightly regimented drug abuse escalation pattern? How about whippets? What point would I give acid a try? Or sniffing glue? Give me a fucking break.
Quote:
Ingesting it wrecks your intestinal tract. Look it up if you don't think so. Smoking it is the best safest delivery system, and doing that eventually ruins your lungs.
Never heard such a thing in my whole life. Smoking releases carcinogens - I can find documentation everywhere for this - but a quick Google search came up empty on eating dope and stomach / intestinal problems. Show me.
post #22 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Ingesting it wrecks your intestinal tract. Look it up if you don't think so. Smoking it is the best safest delivery system, and doing that eventually ruins your lungs. There's a reason they call it "dope".
LMGDAO!

Single greatest post I've ever seen on this website.

post #23 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I think the fact that they're friends with you is much more indicative of their tendencies towards bad decisions than pot was.

post #24 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Like I said, potheads are going to be biased. You love the high so much you will defend it even in the face of the scientific proof. Since you got your info from the HBO special, so did I. I guess I could give you a link to when it will air again? On the show, as I'm sure you saw, they interviewed the guys at the FDA who did the testing. And they said that it never made it to the third and final trials because it couldn't make it to the third and final trials. They can't say it's safe to smoke it, cause it will give you emphysema with long term use. And they can't have you ingest it cause it plays hell on the intestinal tract in the quote "short term". So go ahead and be your typical biased pothead selves, biased to the last. I am not a biochemist. Therefore, all I can do is take the word of a biochemist. Like the ones who work at the FDA and did the testing.

And now I'm sure you'll say that was all political, that they were forced by their superiors to give those results for the testing. Go smoke another joint. Paladin will be watching for you...

Last edited by justinsn95; 10-20-2009 at 07:33 PM.
post #25 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Like I said, potheads are going to be biased. You love the high so much you will defend it even in the face of the scientific proof. Since you got your info from the HBO special, so did I. I guess I could give you a link to when it will air again? On the show, as I'm sure you saw, they interviewed the guys at the FDA who did the testing said that it never made it to the third and final trials because it couldn't make it to the third and final trials. They can't say it's safe to smoke it, cause it will give you emphysema with long term use. And they can't have you ingest it cause it plays hell on the intestinal tract in the quote "short term". So go ahead and be your typical biased pothead selves, biased to the last. I am not a biochemist. Therefore, all I can do is take the word of a biochemist. Like the ones who work at the FDA and did the testing.
People that don't smoke pot are biased! What the fuck does pointing out that someone is biased prove? EVERYONE is biased you stupid schmuck.

And no, I didn't get my info from a singular documentary that ran on HBO. My knowledge and the references I make come from several years of reading countless medical journals, studies and literature on marijuana. This isn't something that I know about because I need to justify my smoking, this is something that I know about because it is something that deeply interests me.

If you want to go toe to toe on facts, statistics and the truth you're more than welcomed to, but I've got pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of cited documentation. I can go all fucking day with you and your mystery facts.

post #26 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Yeah mystery facts. Your right, (as your child like name calling proves) the FDA never did any testing. Those guys didn't even work for the FDA! It was all bullshit. Pot can't hurt your lungs or bowels. PPPFFT? Who would ever think such a thing about something so wonderful!?

You can always tell when someone is offended when they resort to the name calling Next you will find flaw in my spelling or grammar. Your emotional response only takes away your credit, I'm afraid.
post #27 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'll start by pointing out that the FDA doesn't do any kind testing on marijuana, the reason being that the FDA does not do any testing on ANY drug of ANY type, be it illegal or legal.

The FDA makes their decisions based on reports issued by legitimate medical associations and organizations. The funny thing about that is that as a Schedule I substance marijuana CAN NOT be studied in the country.

So I'm not sure where you heard about the FDA doing a study on marijuana, but you're definitely digging a bigger hole of bullshit every time you talk.

post #28 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Yeah mystery facts. Your right, (as your child like name calling proves) the FDA never did any testing. Those guys didn't even work for the FDA! It was all bullshit. Pot can't hurt your lungs or bowels. PPPFFT? Who would ever think such a thing about something so wonderful!?

You can always tell when someone is offended when they resort to the name calling Next you will find flaw in my spelling or grammar. Your emotional response only takes away your credit, I'm afraid.
I never said pot can't hurt your lungs or bowels. You seem to be the one whose emotional response is not only taking away your "credit", but it's your only response so you've got no "credit".

post #29 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Yeah it's clear I have no buisness talking to someone like you. Likely, you've smoked yourself stupid. You have my pity. Good day.
post #30 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Yeah it's clear I have no buisness talking to someone like you. Likely, you've smoked yourself stupid. You have my pity. Good day.
Are you an actual human being or is this just someone putting on an act to humor themselves?

post #31 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
There's no way in hell. The President has firmly established that he doesn't believe that the legalization of marijuana is a viable tool to promote economic health and well being. He didn't offer one positive piece of hope related to the war on drugs until the US Attorney General told him what to say on Monday.

That and there's still too many thick headed codgers in Congress and the Senate that will NEVER allow such an atrocious, violent, wasteful, fear causing initiative to pass under their watch.
Trust me...I thought they'd legalize dope waaaaaay before they'd socialize medicine. Now look...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #32 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Trust me...I thought they'd legalize dope waaaaaay before they'd socialize medicine. Now look...
It just makes too much sense for this administration to possibly do it.

post #33 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

Man can you guys see 40-120 acre's plots of pot plants haha. I know a few people that could only dream of it.

Should it be legal i dont know. The shit they would sell would be low grade that most wouldnt buy anyway and would grow their own far better crops. It'll be interesting because in our lifetime it will be legalized. The fact of how it'll be done will be interesting.

I dont smoke pot, but tried it a few times in hs and didnt like it.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #34 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
are you too stupid to read his posts? he said he doesn't smoke. So if your comprehension is anything like this thread , or claiming the FDA does their own testing............
why should we trust your comprehension on the boob tube show you saw?
Just in case someone forgot to tell you.... you can't believe everything you see on T.V.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #35 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
I have a few questions for the pot smokers:

1. If alcohol and cigarettes are addictive, why is pot not addictive? Isn't part of the argument about legalizing pot that it is not addicitve?

2. How many pot smokers are not cigarette smokers?

3. Part of my issue with pot is that I believe it leads to stronger drugs and I have yet to meet a pot smoker who didn;t smoke cigs, so why did you move from cigs to pot and isn;'t that a progression just like moving from pot to meth, or coke, or crack?

1. Nicotine has long been identified as the physically addictive chemical in cigs and alchohol has also been proven to be physically addictive as well. if i run out of weed, i just get a little cranky.... which is probably my real personality coming out.

2. i have probably smoked literally a ton of pot in my time and have never smoked a cig. my older brother and sister both smoked a lot of pot and they both do not and have never smoked cigs. i have several friends that smoke pot and not cigs

3. this is one of the biggest lies out there. saying smoking pot leads to stronger drugs is like saying drinking beer will lead to drinking corn liquor. your true pot heads like to be relaxed and laid back and don't like to be strung out. there's a difference between a pot head and a druggy. druggies are going to do whatever drug they can find.

to this day, i always prefer smoking pot to drinking especially at parties. i've never been arrested or in any trouble to speak of and i can't see myself saying that if i drank beer or liquor instead smoking pot. i have never fallen down, thrown up or been hung over from smoking pot.

there is a HUGE difference between physical and mental dependancy. pot is more of a mental dependance. if you run out, you're not going to go through any typical withdrawal like the shakes or sweats like you see with meth, coke and heroin. Peoples nature makes them dependant so they will be dependant on what they choose to be dependant upon.

pot should be decriminalized at the very least and should have never been illegal in the first place. The founding fathers grew it and cultivated it so why can't we?

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #36 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
1. Nicotine has long been identified as the physically addictive chemical in cigs and alchohol has also been proven to be physically addictive as well. if i run out of weed, i just get a little cranky.... which is probably my real personality coming out.

2. i have probably smoked literally a ton of pot in my time and have never smoked a cig. my older brother and sister both smoked a lot of pot and they both do not and have never smoked cigs. i have several friends that smoke pot and not cigs

3. this is one of the biggest lies out there. saying smoking pot leads to stronger drugs is like saying drinking beer will lead to drinking corn liquor. your true pot heads like to be relaxed and laid back and don't like to be strung out. there's a difference between a pot head and a druggy. druggies are going to do whatever drug they can find.

to this day, i always prefer smoking pot to drinking especially at parties. i've never been arrested or in any trouble to speak of and i can't see myself saying that if i drank beer or liquor instead smoking pot. i have never fallen down, thrown up or been hung over from smoking pot.

there is a HUGE difference between physical and mental dependancy. pot is more of a mental dependance. if you run out, you're not going to go through any typical withdrawal like the shakes or sweats like you see with meth, coke and heroin. Peoples nature makes them dependant so they will be dependant on what they choose to be dependant upon.

pot should be decriminalized at the very least and should have never been illegal in the first place. The founding fathers grew it and cultivated it so why can't we?
*Golf clap*

Nice post.

Another interesting fact is that according to the DEA's own figures 98% of the plants seized during the DEA pot eradication program in 1999 were actually wild hemp plants and not psychoactive marijuana plants.

I don't even want to think about how much money the DEA spent to dig up and destroy 130 million pounds of what is actually a very useful cash crop that can't get you high.

post #37 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Like I said, potheads are going to be biased. You love the high so much you will defend it even in the face of the scientific proof. Since you got your info from the HBO special, so did I. I guess I could give you a link to when it will air again? On the show, as I'm sure you saw, they interviewed the guys at the FDA who did the testing. And they said that it never made it to the third and final trials because it couldn't make it to the third and final trials. They can't say it's safe to smoke it, cause it will give you emphysema with long term use. And they can't have you ingest it cause it plays hell on the intestinal tract in the quote "short term". So go ahead and be your typical biased pothead selves, biased to the last. I am not a biochemist. Therefore, all I can do is take the word of a biochemist. Like the ones who work at the FDA and did the testing.

And now I'm sure you'll say that was all political, that they were forced by their superiors to give those results for the testing. Go smoke another joint. Paladin will be watching for you...
Nice, an argument based off TV! You rock, lmfao.
post #38 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I am for legalization but I am sure it is habit forming in many cases. But no more so than cigarettes. Whether it leads to other things depends on the person. I've known a lot of older casual pot smokers with no other vice.

I am for legalizing because it instantly destroys the black market for it. It also makes law enforcement focus on the more important drugs that actually destroy people's lives, rather than some plant that anyone can grow.
If it is even remotely as addictive as cigs it is very addicitive. I am torn on legalizing it because of the slippery slope of drugs and the decline of our society. This is just another in a long line of steps toward our decline.

I sure hope no one replies that I have stated the legalization of marijuana will mean the immeidate decline of our society, if they do, I will know they are currently high as hell. LMAO

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #39 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post

It sure sounds to me you are as addicted to marijuana as anyone addicted to cigs dude.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #40 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM
not exclude

Quote:
If it is even remotely as addictive as cigs it is very addicitive. I am torn on legalizing it because of the slippery slope of drugs and the decline of our society. This is just another in a long line of steps toward our decline.

I sure hope no one replies that I have stated the legalization of marijuana will mean the immeidate decline of our society, if they do, I will know they are currently high as hell. LMAO
First do note that there are two very different kinds of addiction, physically and mental. Physical addiction is normally accompanied by a level of physical withdrawal. For nicotine, people get irritable and develop a nervous shake. We are all familiar with the "DTs" from severe alcohol withdrawal. Or if you have ever witnessed the god awful event of a heroin withdrawal.

Both alcohol and nicotine are infinetely more physically addictive than marijuana (because there is no physical addiction what-so-ever).

You can't guage mental addiction as well because, quite honestly, anything in this world can be mentally addictive. Enjoyable experiences, period, can lead to mental addiction.

Not a pot smoker, btw.
post #41 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I'd also like to see it legalized. It is a better "mood alteration" than alcohol because you don't get sick, you feel mellow instead of wild, and you do not suffer withdrawl symptoms if you stop using it.

However, I have known a few people that smoke so much that they have literally altered their chemical composition and those people are worthless with and without it. But they also abuse other things, alcohol, prescription drugs, anything they can get their hands on.

Some people have problems setting limits for themselves and it can be less about recreational enjoyment of a substance to self abuse. I don't see that marijuana crosses some imaginary line of deviance that other perfectly legal substances don't.

Paladin, I'm with you on eradicating drug abuse, but to me it's more of a battle to win back an individual than it is against a drug. I've seen people ruin their lives with everything under the sun and legalizing pot won't change that a bit.

Haven't smoked in a helluva long time, but I could be tempted.
I am finding it harder and harder not to go for the highly taxed marijuana cigs. The only problem I see is that people who smoke alot of dope tend to not have motivation, so they have menial jobs and therefore could not pay the higher prices of legal marijuana, so they would resort to crime to pay for it.

Can anyone say beer runs will turn into dope runs. How about all the cigs that get stolen and how bad it would be when dope shops open up?

I am half serious and half joking here people.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #42 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
First do note that there are two very different kinds of addiction, physically and mental. Physical addiction is normally accompanied by a level of physical withdrawal. For nicotine, people get irritable and develop a nervous shake. We are all familiar with the "DTs" from severe alcohol withdrawal. Or if you have ever witnessed the god awful event of a heroin withdrawal.

Both alcohol and nicotine are infinetely more physically addictive than marijuana (because there is no physical addiction what-so-ever).

You can't guage mental addiction as well because, quite honestly, anything in this world can be mentally addictive. Enjoyable experiences, period, can lead to mental addiction.

Not a pot smoker, btw.
Do you believe in sexual addiction? If so, what would you call it, mental or physical?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #43 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
It sure sounds to me you are as addicted to marijuana as anyone addicted to cigs dude.
not at all "dude".

please define addiction.

dictionary.com defines it this way:

Quote:
–noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

i have gone months without smoking and have never experienced any of this.

perhaps you need to learn the difference between addiction and dependancy.

am i dependant on it? no. i smoke it because i enjoy it - nothing less, nothing more. there's a difference between enjoying something and having to do something. if you enjoy something why stop? i've always felt that smoking pot is, and should be, a moral issue and not a legal one.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
post #44 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Do you believe in sexual addiction? If so, what would you call it, mental or physical?
Sure do and it's mental.
post #45 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
I am finding it harder and harder not to go for the highly taxed marijuana cigs. The only problem I see is that people who smoke alot of dope tend to not have motivation, so they have menial jobs and therefore could not pay the higher prices of legal marijuana, so they would resort to crime to pay for it.
Can anyone say beer runs will turn into dope runs. How about all the cigs that get stolen and how bad it would be when dope shops open up?

hey man, check out this artical the Observer published 4 years ago and you will find lawyers and judges that smoke. i know, it's not the most credible source for info, but it's a good read to help you to understand what we are saying.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2005-1...farmers-market

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
post #46 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Sexual addiction is a mental addiction to a physical act. Your body in no way believes that you MUST have sex, but your mind does and those are two very different things.

When it's a physical addiction the mind receives signals from the body. When it's an emotional addiction the body isn't involved at all, just the mind.

post #47 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

The prices won't be drastically higher, if at all higher, than they are today. Part of the reason that prices are where they exist today because of the high risk associated with the cultivation, transportation and sale of marijuana and the presence of so many middle mend because of that risk. Take all of that risk away and lose the unnecessary middle men and the price will drop, probably more than enough to offset the tax.

Regardless, your opinion is again being influenced by your job. The people you see don't encompass the full picture here; there's a reason they're getting busted and that's because they're just not that intelligent. I know plenty of people that hold "real" jobs in the "real" world and smoke plenty of pot.

At the end of the day, what do you care if a stupid stoner piddles around at a dead-end job? That's his prerogative, is it not? Who is the government to say that he can't do that? It causes no harm to you.

post #48 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Regardless, your opinion is again being influenced by your job. The people you see don't encompass the full picture here; there's a reason they're getting busted and that's because they're just not that intelligent. I know plenty of people that hold "real" jobs in the "real" world and smoke plenty of pot..

oh shit, i forgot he's a cop.

let me state for the record that i do not and have never smoked pot.i must have just been stoned when i type that earlier

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
post #49 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
are you too stupid to read his posts? he said he doesn't smoke. So if your comprehension is anything like this thread , or claiming the FDA does their own testing............
why should we trust your comprehension on the boob tube show you saw?
Just in case someone forgot to tell you.... you can't believe everything you see on T.V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Nice, an argument based off TV! You rock, lmfao.

Yes, yes, I know. Nothing on TV can ever be believed. Nor the internet, nor newspapers. And for that matter, nor word of mouth. Hell, it's best if I just go ahead and go to the place where they actually do the testing, in the event that they ever do so again. And then, look over their shoulders and watch with my own two eyes. Since no form of informal media can be trusted, I mean. You guys are right. It was all lies. I can see that now. Well really, it would be best if I went ahead and got the advanced degree that it would take to qualify me to do the research and testing in the lab. That way I could know for sure, that no one was lying to me cause they so wanted to on TV/anywhere else where you can get any information at all. But then I would want to tell someone of the results, and no one could believe me, cause I would have to use some form of the aforementioned media to convey my message. An interesting conundrum indeed. So you see, you laugh only at your own ignorance, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Sexual addiction is a mental addiction to a physical act. Your body in no way believes that you MUST have sex, but your mind does and those are two very different things.
Just FYI, sex is in fact classified as a physical need. It's not just mental. Just ask anyone who hasn't done it in a while. Or oh yeah, you could ask mainstream science as well. Just cause it can't kill you like some of the other physical needs doesn't mean that it isn't one. Sorry to have to directly contradict you again.

Now to watch you blow up in a temper tantrum like a 3 year old. What names will you come up with to call me this time? I think I am going to make a habit of directly contradicting you for my own entertainment. This will be fun! Alright. Ready.... GO!

Last edited by justinsn95; 10-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
post #50 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

I hope they dont legalize the shit, it costs too much as it is. But I have to admit, being able to stop in at the local quick trip and pick up a pack of marijuana 100's would be nice !

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement