Served the country but got no credit. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Served the country but got no credit.

Back in the day, I served in the Army. Right out of high school.
When I got out I remember that I was deemed as having no credit whatsoever. I tried to lease an apartment so I could go to school. But no complex would give me a unit even though I offered to pay for the entire 6 month pay in advance. I Didint have credit worthy parents to help me rectify the situation, So I ended up living in a trailor park so I could go to school. I lived there for almost 2 years and was totaly overwhelmed especially because I didn't understand or wanted to understand their point of view. (one guy had a swastika tattoo, and the rest wre not co fortable to be around with). The point I am trying to make is why is it that someone who joined the military and got out is treated like crap when they get out. How can I change things so that when someone serves this country and has no credit is able to rent an apartment ( even if they have all the money up front) , after they get out. I don' t think I'm the only one that has went through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:57 AM
DFWS

wtf how does serving your country and a credit rating compare to each other?

your army recruiter promised you the moon didn't he?

Keepin' The Old School Alive
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:01 AM
DFWS

btw even Rambo had to hitchhike he's ass across country

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

It doesn't really matter what serving my country has anything to do with anything if that's what you took from that. It matters that I got out of service and end up in somewhere indidint know. In didn't have the support of my parents like you keyboard jockeys seem to have. And I had to support myself by living with people who apparently were not condusive with my view if what what it means to live a productive life.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 AM
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
It doesn't really matter what serving my country has anything to do with anything if that's what you took from that. It matters that I got out of service and end up in somewhere indidint know. In didn't have the support of my parents like you keyboard jockeys seem to have. And I had to support myself by living with people who apparently were not condusive with my view if what what it means to live a productive life.
i get ya now! (sorry)

reality is a bitch not even school or armed forces can really teach the cruelties of the real world nor the lack of having money can do to you especially helping one's self to a achieve success because it is a hard start in life without the cash and support from your piers. That you have to teach yourself with day to day struggles as you grow and learn to make due.

"Shit does roll down hill just try not to be person at the bottom to catch it!"

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
i get ya now! (sorry)

reality is a bitch not even school or armed forces can really teach the cruelties of the real world nor the lack of having money can do to you especially helping one's self to a achieve success because it is a hard start in life without the cash and support from your piers. That you have to teach yourself with day to day struggles as you grow and learn to make due.

"Shit does roll down hill just try not to be person at the bottom to catch it!"
Thank you. I went throught shit the hard way and I know I wasn't the only one now and in the future. What I am trying to say is how can I ensure that somone that serves the country for our benefit and was born under not the best of circumstanses be able to actually live in, an apartment after serving and get the credit they deserve, not as an entitlement but as a reality. Where do I start to ensure that this doesn't happen to someone else.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Time Served

I understand what you are saying. I think it sucks. People are selfish and stupid. If you can come to terms with that then you won't get disappointed. Sad but true.

The answer to me is that every single American should have to join and serve like the Isrealies. Maybe it will help toughen our pussy asses up and they will have more understanding of what it takes and means to be in the military or have that type of responsibility.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I miss Colorado

Ill be getting out in about 8 months after 6 years active duty. Im welcoming the cruel reality of the real world. I semi- was in the real world while on recruiting duty for a year, nowhere near a military installation.
I have enough money saved up to live without working for at least a year.
(not saying im going to bum around, i will start school or work immediately)
I am ready for a change. Ill be 24 when i get out, and have nothing but a nice bank account, and a couple cool war stories. Ill basically be at the level of an 18 year old, in the terms of "real world" experience.

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
The problem is not all troops -deserve- good credit or credit. I realized about 2 years in that I needed credit, started getting a couple of credit cards. Life was good, I bought a vehicle to also help, life was good. Then I got dumb somewhere a long the way during an NTC "deployment" and did not pay my bills on time. Then I stayed lazy and

Anway, I paid my bills just not every month. The wife got me back on track when we got engaged.

The no credit thing applies to civilians as well. Although, I UNDERSTAND what you're saying I do not feel that Veterans should be given preferential treatment for credit. We already get things like the VA loan which is more important.

I DO believe that things like this should be taught to troops as opposed to picking up cigarette butts and whatever 7 days a week when not deployed. I also knew plenty of guys/gals who had 0 debt but 0 credit as well.

I actually think bad credit is better then no credit.

Of course, when ghetto folks can get free dollars for years and years just for being lazy...

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
Ill basically be at the level of an 18 year old, in the terms of "real world" experience.
Once you find income, you'll find civilian life to be easy.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I started this post with "Back in the day" meaning a long time ago. (got out in 92) what I was trying to get at was the fact that I could not get an apartment so that I could go to school even though I offered to pay in full 6 months in advance. I just think that most veterans shuold be able to rent an apartment upon serving the country.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
I started this post with "Back in the day" meaning a long time ago. (got out in 92) what I was trying to get at was the fact that I could not get an apartment so that I could go to school even though I offered to pay in full 6 months in advance. I just think that most veterans shuold be able to rent an apartment upon serving the country.
So, regardless any business that turns down the lease being paid up front is not very smart in my opinion.

But ya, I hear ya.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
Ill be getting out in about 8 months after 6 years active duty. Im welcoming the cruel reality of the real world. I semi- was in the real world while on recruiting duty for a year, nowhere near a military installation.
I have enough money saved up to live without working for at least a year.
(not saying im going to bum around, i will start school or work immediately)
I am ready for a change. Ill be 24 when i get out, and have nothing but a nice bank account, and a couple cool war stories. Ill basically be at the level of an 18 year old, in the terms of "real world" experience.

Thats good that you have that mindset, alot of marines have no clue what they are gonna do when they get out
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Bullet Sponge

I came back injured AND got forced into a divorce immediately after returning and spent almost 6 months in a travel trailer in a pasture with no power or water. That said, we do not deserve "credit" because of service. We chose to serve, we chose to put our lives on the line for the country, not for some belief we'll be rewarded, but because it's in us.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Lifer

they probably did you a favor

98 Brokra
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
spent almost 6 months in a travel trailer in a pasture with no power or water.
That was the Hilton for an 11B.

My '03 Sold.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Lifer

credit comes from lenders, its private business, they set the rules.

sad thing is, had you been an illegal alien with no social security number, and still had cash for 6 months you probably would have been able to lease that apartment.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM
T-MINUS

Cash > Credit.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Cash > Credit.
Said he had cash.

My '03 Sold.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Lifer

I have always been a cash person. I will save up for something unless I really need it like a vehicle or house. Problem is that doesnt work these days. Like you mentioned getting an apartment is hell with no credit, even if you offer to pay rent upfront.

Sucks but it is, what it is.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Did you ever get any lines through USAA? They are much more lax than any civilian credit unions.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Did you ever get any lines through USAA? They are much more lax than any civilian credit unions.
This has been my experience also.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Lifer

I don't understand. If you had cash, why not buy a house instead?
Credit is the last thing you need if you have a job and cash.
Credit is all but useless IMO. Having a good job/ proveable income and cash will always be king
people spend way too much time worrying about how to get their credit level high. I see no use unless you have some bright idea and no money to start a business.
The amount of money you will lose alone just to get a higher credit rating is proof in itself.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Said he had cash.
Then it shouldn't be of any concern. Little or no credit and 30% down on a house goes a long way.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Lifer

edit:
never mind

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Man, i was 11b for the US Army and served in the sandbox and when i came home i was "crapped" on just like that. but you know what?..........honestly.......i seriously kept a positive attitude and tried my hardest to do my best in the "civilian" world, just like you would in the military. I swear, God as my witness, i felt the same way but i kept at it and finally i got an awesome job and a badass brand new house. no lie, im doing better than parents and im not saying that to "down" my parents but somehow the "universe" equals everything out. be patiente man, and things will get better. its like "someone" knows the sacrifice you had to make. i got out in 2006, got a house in 2007, and got a crazy high paying job a few months ago with NO degree what so ever. be patient man, it will come. instead it it bringing you down, use it as fuel and keep going, till you get where you want to get.

What was that you said about power to weight ratio? Thats what I thought.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
I don't understand. If you had cash, why not buy a house instead?
Credit is the last thing you need if you have a job and cash.
Credit is all but useless IMO. Having a good job/ proveable income and cash will always be king
people spend way too much time worrying about how to get their credit level high. I see no use unless you have some bright idea and no money to start a business.
The amount of money you will lose alone just to get a higher credit rating is proof in itself.
+1

thats pretty much true. i have to provide services for wealthy clients (and by wealthy i mean millionares, just completely, fillthy rich) and they pay stuff late ALL the time, but since they have money theyre not really worried about credit. it doesnt mean anything to them cuz they have the money. creditors think the same way. if youo have a 300 credit score but you have millions, they just assumes that you can make the payments.....and so on

What was that you said about power to weight ratio? Thats what I thought.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Lifer

The military has been on a huge campaign for a while now to keep young Joes, Airmen, Sailors and Marines from developing bad credit. I can tell you from personal experience a few things. Young Service Members make the same mistake their college age counterparts do, the difference is they may not always have the parent backers to guide them. The military tries very hard to keep youngins from burying themselves. I remember my young Marine days and we had to get the Company 1SG to sign off just to buy a vehicle (may have just been a Company thing) but it meant we sat down with the 1SG and explained our finances and our plan to pay for said car. When I EAS'd ('94) we went thru courses to assimilate (sp?) into society, credit was one of them.

Fast forward to today. You can not watch 30 minutes of AFN and not see a comercial directed at just this, credit. I would like to say it was the same back in my day but being on Military instillations for the past 3.5yrs I have had to endure a lot of AFN.

Funny thing is Joe still hasn't learned. On the phone the other day behind me was a SPC complaining about only having $20 in his account. Even after all the extra pay he gets in Afg he has found a way to spend it.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Bullet Sponge

I had a SPC in my fire team that had a car repoed every month. His wife took her power of atty and got a new one and when they didn't pay for it, it was picked up and she went and grabbed another even more expensive one.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Time Served

I can tell you this from personal experience.

If the military wants sailors to maintain good credit, then all they need to do is stop giving spouses power's of attorney. My ex screwed me for life. She would get cards in my name while I was out to sea and spend spend spend because she was bored. All she had to do was go to Navy Legal and ask for a PoA because I was out on deployment and bam..... it's hers and she has an ID card complete with my SSN on it too..... yippee!

If the military wants soldiers to have solid credit, stop giving the bored spendthrift wives the keys to the candy jar while we are out doing our duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement