CJ
User may be editing post.

A great demonstration of today's financial mentality

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091015/D9BB7CGG1.html

Quote:

Lottery hoax causes riot at Ohio coat store

Oct 14, 9:09 PM (ET)

By MEGHAN BARR

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A woman being driven around in a rented limousine pulled up at a coat store and announced she'd won the lottery and would pay for everyone's purchases, police said, but she ended up causing a riot when customers realized it was a hoax.

Angry customers threw merchandise around and looted, leaving the store looking as though a hurricane had passed through it, police said.

Linda Brown was arrested Tuesday after an hours-long shopping spree that began when she hired a stretch Hummer limousine to drop her off at a Burlington Coat Factory store, police Sgt. Lt. Michael Deakins said. Brown walked to a cash register and loudly announced she had won the lottery and would pay for each person's merchandise up to $500, he said.

"Well, of course, people like to hear that," Deakins said. "Apparently they were in line calling relatives who were not at the store and told them to come."

People flooded the registers as cashiers began ringing up purchase after purchase, but Brown had not yet paid the bill, Deakins said. At least 500 people filled the aisles and another 1,000 were outside trying to get in, he said.

"She was telling people she won $1.5 million," Deakins said. "But it ends up she didn't win anything. She had no money to pay for anything."

About an hour later, Brown had the limousine driver take her to a bank to withdraw money, but she returned empty-handed, police Detective Steven Nace said. By then, store employees had called in two dozen police officers to handle the crowds.

Shopper Candace Jordan said she told Brown she didn't need clothes, she needed help paying her rent.

"And she said, 'How much is it?'" Jordan told WBNS-TV. "And she promptly wrote out a check."

By the time employees realized Brown didn't have any cash to pay, police said, she already had taken off in the limo.

That's when angry customers, realizing they weren't getting free coats, began throwing merchandise on the floor and grabbing clothes without paying for them, Nace said.

"Everybody was like, 'I still want my free stuff,' and that started the riot," he said. "It looks like (Hurricane) Katrina went through the store."

Police said they have no way of tracking down the customers who stole items and fled, but they're reviewing surveillance video.

When the limousine driver realized he wasn't going to be paid the $900 Brown owed him for the day's rental, he turned her in to police, Deakins said.

Brown, 44, was arrested on three outstanding warrants for aggravated menacing, misuse of a 911 system and causing false alarms. She was jailed late Wednesday, but no charges had been filed against her related to the coat store chaos pending a mental health evaluation.

Police said they didn't know if Brown had a lawyer. No telephone number was listed under her name, and no one answered repeated phone calls at the Franklin County Jail.

A spokeswoman for Burlington Coat Factory, which is based in Burlington, N.J., and has more than 300 stores across the country, said late Wednesday she couldn't comment on the incident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Lifer

fucking hilarious
what i don't get is if there was two dozen police there, how did many steal items?

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Sounds more like a demonstration of today's ghetto mentality.

DFWMustangs.net

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
fucking hilarious
what i don't get is if there was two dozen police there, how did many steal items?
The bakery had doughnuts?

I mean no disrespect to the cops on the board, just a lame joke

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Lifer

FIXED.. "It looks like people from (Hurricane) Katrina went through the store." "Poor me! I didn't get the free stuff I was promised, so I'm going to riot."

On another note, that woman is the definition of "attention whore".
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Lifer

To be honest, I say thats the management of that stores fault. They should have handled it correctly.(I.E. called her bank to verify she really did have millions of dollars, and once off the phone slapping her in the face.)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
To be honest, I say thats the management of that stores fault. They should have handled it correctly.(I.E. called her bank to verify she really did have millions of dollars, and once off the phone slapping her in the face.)
I'd have to agree. Who the fuck would believe someone that came into the store saying that?
Much less allow people to just line up, and make one large purchase?
At least they had the common sense to call the police.
May have been a case of 'too little, too late' by then though!

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Lifer

IMO, This is just a tiny example of what's going to happen to this country when all these people that think they're entitled to everything for free don't actually get the Hope and Change they've been promised.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:14 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
Sounds more like a demonstration of today's ghetto mentality.
Which is why the Katrina reference is greatness.
I want a photochop of the heineken guy wearing a rabbit fur coat.

What it says is, people are shit, looking for handouts and when exposed, they are still shit.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
The Janitor

its very possible the woman was severly bi-polar. Her behavior kind of sounds like the "delusions of wealth" that a number of bi-polared people get.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Time Served

would i be racist for guessing these were black folk?

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
would i be racist for guessing these were black folk?
Why, yes. Yes, you would be. But if it was in Columbus, Ohio, you are also correct. Your "Honky of the Week" award is being mailed to you as we speak!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Why, yes. Yes, you would be. But if it was in Columbus, Ohio, you are also correct. Your "Honky of the Week" award is being mailed to you as we speak!
YES!!! i love this racism shit!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement